Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Small things ruin the experience

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fang273

So having just come upon my first exploding zombie, I immediately backed up to (what I thought was) a relatively safe distance, and started throwing knives at it. Apparently I was a bit too close, as I died an immediate death in the slimy explosion. I'm fine with that, lesson learned, whatever, but when I went back to retrieve my weapons, my best one (by far) had gotten stuck in the ground geometry, making it impossible to pick back up.

So far my experience with Dead Island seems to include a lot of these moments. Whether it be zombies going through my foot when I try to kick them, or my analog melee controls spazzing out when my thumb isn't even touching the right stick, all of it leads to the game not being as enjoyable as it should be to me. I love how the game feels and how it (should) play, but the odd broken mechanic is ruining the game for me. Hopefully it'll get better as I play more, or at least become less noticeable as I start to hit the inevitable super-powerful stage.

So what do you guys think? Do you have any stories of annoying glitches, or has it been smooth sailing?

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BleedingStarX

I've noticed that the analog melee can get quite glitchy at times, I've killed zombies for them to just fall through the floor/bed/whatever and I've gotten stuck a few times on random things in the sand (beach balls etc) 

To be honest I'm not enjoying my experience with the game and I think I'll end up returning it

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @fang273@BleedingStarX: What platforms are you playing it on? And, do glitches in games like Fallout 3 tend to ruin your enjoyment? 

I ask because I'm fairly easy going when it comes to glitchiness and my copy for 360 is on the way.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arker101

So far the worst thing that's happened ( besides the camera is hard to control in analog fight mode) for some reason the game thought I wanted to throw, so when I pressed LT by itself, I threw my morning star club over the railing of the lighthouse.  

@ProfessorEss
    Xbox 360. The glitches I've seen are nowhere near the level of broken New Vegas had, but I also don't mind the occasional hiccup, I guess that kind of stuff doesn't phase me as much. I think if you can put up with a release date Fallout game, you can probably put up with this, if you enjoy it as much as fallout, of course.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By fobwashed

All my worst experiences have been related to the prefinalrelease stuff. Mainly, losing my save.

Most of the jank I've encountered in this game sort of add to it's appeal. For instance, when I killed a zombie and it fell off the platform we were fighting on only to land on it's legs and have them both explode off the torso. That was pretty fantastic in it's garbagery.

At the moment, I'm still enjoying the game but I wish co-op would work.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By huntad

The thing that ruins my ability to experience Dead Island is that I'm just so fucking tired of zombies. They're so played out that I'm just done. I can't play games with them anymore. I think I wanna go back to killing random monsters without any context as to why they exist.

Anyone else tired of these stupid-ass zombies? Anyone? No? Great.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By BleedingStarX

I have it on 360, in all honesty though I'm not the best guy to ask. I have little to no interest in the game at all and only bought it to co-op with some guys from work. I wasn't enjoying it before zombies starting falling through stuff

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

*looks at thread title*  

That's what she said!

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By altairre

@Arker101 said:
    So far the worst thing that's happened ( besides the camera is hard to control in analog fight mode) for some reason the game thought I wanted to throw, so when I pressed LT by itself, I threw my morning star club over the railing of the lighthouse.   

Imagine this made me laugh. I feel for you though cause that sounds kinda terrible. Seems like I´m lucky since I didn´t encountered any glitches or bugs at all.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By jimi

I have it on PC. The game is janky there is no doubt but all of the stuff I have experienced is the same as any other open world game. The coop is crazy fun and when some stupid glitchy shit happens it's always great to laugh at it with friends.

The game is good, it just needs a few patches.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @altairre said:

@Arker101 said:

Imagine this made me laugh. I feel for you though cause that sounds kinda terrible. Seems like I´m lucky since I didn´t encountered any glitches or bugs at all.
    Haha, that's how it hit me too. 

I know it would piss me off but just the sentence "I threw my morning star club over the railing of the lighthouse" has a funny ring to it.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

@huntad said:

The thing that ruins my ability to experience Dead Island is that I'm just so fucking tired of zombies. They're so played out that I'm just done. I can't play games with them anymore. I think I wanna go back to killing random monsters without any context as to why they exist.

Anyone else tired of these stupid-ass zombies? Anyone? No? Great.

what's the difference between zombies and, say, random monsters exactly?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chop

Well, it can't be any worse than New Vegas and I managed to enjoy that piece of shit...

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arker101
    @ProfessorEss@altairre:  
    Well, I'm glad you guys are getting some enjoyment out of me throwing my best weapon away. 

The loot system works well enough that I think, I found a better weapon 20 minutes later.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By huntad

@Laketown: First, I want to apologize for coming off kind of asshole-ish. I really am just fed up with the whole zombie premise. I guess I just got worked up. The thing about zombies that I hate is that it's always the same contextual background in every zombie game. Either a virus breaks out, or it's some military experiment gone wrong. Thus, humans are turned into brain dead excuses for the lack of really good A.I. I look back at the original FEAR, and while the A.I. might not be perfect, it was cool how they would take cover, take potshots, turn over tables, etc.

With zombies, they really just run at you and spit stuff at you from their 'out in the open' positions. It just feels like an excuse for having enemies that actually challenge you instead of being just numerous. I'd rather see inventive creatures that are clever and exciting to fight. I feel that the whole gore and limb severing just isn't as exciting as it may have used to be.

So, yeah, that's my basic problem with zombies.

Guttlesswonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Guttlesswonder

The game seems as glitchy as Fallout: NV, and I find both really enjoyable. My only complaint is that inverting the Y-axis is universal and effects both head movement and analog fighting. So now I either have to learn to play normal or do uppercuts by punching up and then down. It's pretty annoying and I know they will never patch it, but I am still happy with the purchase.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By project343

There are certainly many issues. I found one of them exploding zambies on a rooftop in the city. He initiated the 'imma splode' face, and I ran like hell behind a wall. I still managed to die, despite there being about 3 meters of concrete between us.

But it's an open world RPG. And a Techland game. "Jank" should have been written on the boxart--and you should have known this.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By BigLemon

I'm perhaps not as far in as some of you, but I haven't experienced any of these issues on my PS3 version. This game is awesome.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By shaggydude

Tonight I beat Dead Island co op on the 360. I didn't experience any game breaking bugs that couldn't be remedied by re loading, but one of my friends was randomly losing items from his inventory when he was upgrading them, more specifically when he upgraded them fully, they would soon disappear. It pissed him off big time and I felt for him since they were some of his best items and he lost all that $ upgrading them too!

I soured on the game once we beat it and started a new game plus. We were both level 35ish, the zombies were 35ish but the loot they were dropping was level 5 stuff. There really wasnt much incentive to keep going if the loot and quest rewards were not scaling to our level.

So now I guess I'm waiting for a patch that fixes the loot in new game plus. I cant find any info on when consoles are getting a patch or what it might contain. The only patch notes I've seen so far are for the Steam version.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Hizang

I'm playing the PS3 version.

The game lags for me at parts, it stutters quite a lot when there are a lot of zombies I'm killing. But hey it is like Oblivion, the whole game is good enough that these little things should not get in the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Isn't it physically impossible for a European made game east of France to be made without being a buggy mess?   All Eastern European games need a warning label stating that this game was developed in Eastern Europe so play at your own risk.    That said I have been enjoying the game but I knew going in that it was going to be buggy as hell.  
    My guess is that play testing is a sin in Poland.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By aurahack
    @Hizang: If you haven't lost any save data, for the love of God tell me what settings you're playing on because this is the only thing preventing me from actually having fun with it. :/
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Hizang

@aurahack: Normal settings

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Ravenlight

@Chop said:

Well, it can't be any worse than New Vegas and I managed to enjoy that piece of shit...

New Vegas was a great game. It's the engine that was shit.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@ProfessorEss: Friend of mine has been playing non-stop pretty much since he got it for 360 on release, and loves it. Haven't heard much glitch talk from him either. He also was able to play through NV and F3 without hating the glitches. So maybe that helps you.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By koshka

@ShaggyDude: Yea the patch we got has the loot scaling with level... but since I lost my game last patch I've yet to beat the game :\

RichardSplash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RichardSplash

after having this for a day i can only imagine that it was designed by morons. all these buggy games are slowly but surely turning me off gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.