Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Weapons degrading and skill points

GrindZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GrindZombie

Just wondering, since I haven't seen any topics on this, but are you able to reset skill points at certain locations or buy resets?

also this. 

I was talking to a friend of mine about games still having weapons that break or need to be repaired over time, and I was wondering what the general consensus was on this. I personally hate it and feel it takes a lot of fun out of the games I play that utilize this, especially games that have weapons that will break after very few swings or shots fired. My friend on the other hand feels it adds a sense of depth and realism. I believe in games like  oblivion this can be true, but in a game like dead island I think it would just be way more fun to beat the crap out of zombies without having to worry about it. I have yet to play Dead Island so I do not know how quickly a weapon degrades, so maybe it won't be a big issue if they last a good while before I would have to repair or replace them. (maybe someone can share with me how it works in Dead Island).  

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By krazy_kyle

I played it for a bit and think that the weapons do break too quickly. I have noticed weapons lasting longer however as I got into the higher levels and found exceptional (orange) items which lasted a bit longer after fully upgrading them. As with reseting the skill points, i dont know how to reset skill points, there might be a way to do it but i havent discovered it yet.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

Haven't seen any way to reset points but that'd be pretty useful, yeah.

As for deteriorating weapons, it's not a thing I'm a fan of. Hated it in Dead Rising and was one of my main points for not enjoying the game. I will say one thing though, you will find that your weapons break down really quickly in the beginning but it gets better later on (you can level purchase skills that reduce it by 30% at max level) so it isn't TOO bad, but it's certainly something that can get kind of old after a while. You can repair weapons and stuff for cash though, and as long as you do it semi-frequently it's not that expensive. It's a fun game though, so don't let my comment scare you off.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I don't mind it, i think it adds to the tension so you're not relying on your strongest weapon all the time.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By cstrang

I hate weapon degradation in all cases.

GrindZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GrindZombie

@Azteck 
    Well my copy is still on its way from Amazon. Can't believe it was sold out everywhere around here. So I will still play it regardless. 

@krayz_kyle 
    thats too bad. I was also wondering if developers actually get good feedback on this game mechanic that keeps them wanting to add degrading weapons to the gameplay experience.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By hbkdx12

i'm like the only person that has played this game that believes the weapons (atleast the ones i use) don't break too fast.

GrindZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GrindZombie

@CrimsonNoir 
    I can agree to that, but a lot about what I enjoy about video games is struggling and earning my way to higher levels so I can eventually just stomp the enemies into the ground. So when you add degrading weapons, or have enemies scale to your level (which is all well and good) I never get that sense of being rewarded for working my fingers off by being able to run through low level mobs and just tear through them. Not a huge issue but I miss those days. Even in my beloved Jpgs it does no good to grind out levels anymore, because the bossess and enemies will just scale right along with you.
    superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By superpow

I find weapon degradation is a lot more welcome in games where survival is a key theme. It adds a lot to the feeling of urgency and panic you feel while fighting zombies. However, I'm not a fan of weapon degradation in fantasy games like oblivion. I want my sword to always be razor sharp and ready to kill dragons.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By CrimsonNoir

Well you can unlock skills on your skill tree to curb weapons degration for certain types of weapons depending on which character you pick. But you also find and earn a good amount of money so if you didn't pay for weapon repairs I can see the game being a whole lot easier with people loading up on medkits.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ares42

If you don't like the durability, play Logan and just throw. Weapons take close to no damage when thrown. I can run around and kill zombies for 1-2 hours, go back to base and none of my weapons are less than 90%.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#12  Edited By fistfulofmetal

I find the game is designed in a way that I rarely every finish a mission without completely broken weapons. They're always ~50-80% and I have enough money to repair them all.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By shaggydude

Weapon degradation is one of the central game mechanics in Dead Island. I think it is done better than other games because nothing ever completely breaks, it just becomes less lethal and more expensive to repair. It makes you use several weapons instead of relying on just one weapon. It is one of the main reasons you want to find more money and later on in the game you find that it encourages you to seek out and memorize where work benches are located in order to upgrade and keep your weapons at 100% as much as possible. Though ammo is scarce, I really like that guns never degrade.

Usually I hate weapon degradation, but the skill points regarding durability and money pickups helped alleviate a lot of the frustration I had with it early on. If it didn't exist in Dead Island I think it would break the economy, especially when you consider that the only death penalty in the game is money, where most loot games degrade your weapons on death as well. I often think it could be worse. If weapons broke and disappeared completely or fell out of my hands when I died, I would have quit playing Dead Island the same day I started.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Pro tip: even at 0%, sharp weapons will still cut off arms in 1-3 hits. For small groups of walkers (or just one), I just kick them to the ground and cut off both arms so they die with almost full health. Thugs can also have their arms chopped off with a 0% sharp weapon, but you'll probably want to use something else to finish them off. This has worked for me from low level to current (25 I think). I haven't tested blunt weapons to see if they still break arms at 0%.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hbkdx12
    @Origina1Penguin said:

I haven't tested blunt weapons to see if they still break arms at 0%.

It will if the weapon hasn't cracked. I don't know how it is with edged weapons but sometimes if you have a blunt weapon, when u have a tiny sliver of durability left (i'd say about 5% or so) the weapon will crack and any further damage that that weapon does til it breaks is significantly decreased. So if the weapon you use inflicts 300 dmg, after the crack it'll drop down to like 30.  I've noticed this more with wooden weapons, not sure if the same applies for harder, metal blunt objects. 

Pretty neat feature and better yet, it seems completely random. There were times where i was wailing on a thug like crazy with a bat getting maximum hit damage until my dude just forcibly threw it away and then there are times where im attacking a walker and my weapon will crack and either i just stick with it and keep wailing away or manually toss it and switch to something else.
    Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Divina_Rex

In the beginning, yes, the weapons degrade quickly and it's expensive to fix them since you don't have much money. Later on however, you can buy skills that decrease the slow down immensely (Xian- 30% & later 30% slower if modded[note-I only know Xian's stats]) and weapons that are of higher quality that degrade slower as a base stat. Not too mention, you can have a lot of money later (I have 20Gs) so it's not a problem to fix them.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By golguin

I use level 26-29 blades at level 31 with Xian and I can complete a quest or two without getting below 50% using only my orange katana or purple machetes. The highest repair cost I've seen has been between $1000-$1500, which is nothing compared to the money I would get from said mission. Degrading weapons isn't really an issue at higher levels because of your anti degrading skills and money.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Deranged

@hbkdx12 said:

i'm like the only person that has played this game that believes the weapons (atleast the ones i use) don't break too fast.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By mfpantst

If you play the blunt weapons dude, you can skill point against degredation, plus it makes sense for weapons to break if you are constantly meleeing dudes with them.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Sooty

They do break too fast, at least as Xian even with the degradation talent.

I was only 9 hours or so into the game before my saved game got corrupted, though.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hbkdx12

Are majority of the people who feel they degrade too quickly sticking mostly to sharp weapons? Are you guys aiming for their head?

Because i've primarily used blunt weapons from the start and not once did i ever feel a blunt weapon broke too quickly (maybe the paddle) and that's even before i upgraded them or put points into perks to lower the degradation. 

The few sharp weapons i have used didn't last very long and even then i still didn't feel like it was in a way that was unfair.  Even with the crappiest sharp weapon i used, i'm sure i was able to get 10 kills at the very least before it broke.

I don't think there was a single weapon that i used  (blunt, sharp or otherwise) that required more than 3 or 4 hits to the head at the very most. Thugs not in included. 

If anything, the one stat that i have a problem with is Force. I understand force is what contributes to taking away a zombie's stamina bar but there's still plenty of times where we're both going to attack and i'll make contact a second before it does, which should break their attack animation but he'll still hit me. That maybe more of an issue with physics/tech stuff tho.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Getz

If the weapons never broke, wouldn't you just use your best one all the time and nothing else? The weapons system encourages thoughtful preparation and a varied strategy when using your weapons. If you wear out your best orange-class item all the time, you'll pay out the ass to repair it. It makes you switch it up, and carry many different types of weapons like high damaging but low durability sickles mixed with the more sturdy but slow blunt hammers and bats. The game would be ten times more boring if you could just use one weapon all the time. It's the same reason shooters don't give you infinite ammo for everything; it would be fucking boring.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JP_Russell
    @GrindZombie said:

I believe in games like  oblivion this can be true, but in a game like dead island I think it would just be way more fun to beat the crap out of zombies without having to worry about it.  

I would argue that that's backwards.  It serves no purpose in Oblivion other than to create a very poor and uninteresting simulation of real-world limitations (which for some is enough to create immersion), and to justify the inclusion of a skill that determines how draconian those limitations are.  In gameplay terms, it's a drag to repair the items, and the limitations imposed on you by the mechanic are meaningless and don't promote better play in any way. 

In a game like Dead Island, it's used to promote resource management and consideration within the player on some level.  It's a meaningful gameplay device.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.