Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Which version to go?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

I got a PC and a PS3. Is using a gamepag on the Pc viable?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Junkerman

Dont get the ps3 whatever you do.  The screen tearing is so bad its not even playable.  PC version is passable now that its patched, and theres always hope of user modification down the road.  Gamepad works fine.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By azrailx

ps3 is playable, ur on crack

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Junkerman

@azrailx:I dont know what it looks like on your PS3, but judging from what I've seen with both my friends machines, as well as this video, its pretty damn awful. Sure you can play it, but as soon as your character has too look up or down at all, the screen tears.

It is especially evident in and around when he is rescuing the guy in the truck in this video.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@Junkerman said:

@azrailx:I dont know what it looks like on your PS3, but judging from what I've seen with both my friends machines, as well as this video, its pretty damn awful. Sure you can play it, but as soon as your character has too look up or down at all, the screen tears.

It is especially evident in and around when he is rescuing the guy in the truck in this video.

O Jesus. Not even within the first second that texture popin is worst then borderlands. And the tearing on the door ust opening...So glad I also have a 360.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang

I have the PS3 version and I have had no problems, one of the best games this year so far.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlasherMan

Playing the PC version, and it's been very stable for me. Runs great, looks great, and no tearing with VSync forced using D3DOverrider. Gamepad works just fine, too.

It lacks a lot of options and features that you would expect to see in a PC game, which is a shame, but nothing that should prevent you from enjoying the game. It's also being worked on by the community, with mods starting to pop up and a supposedly extensive configuration tool released by community members.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePaleKing

Um, I would say the PC version. Because of this.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By McShank

Get pc. The controller works for it fine snce it has analog options for combat but Keyboard / mouse work great.

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Silock

Isn't screen tearing where the TV's refresh rate cannot keep up with the games framerate? In other words, if you have screen tearing surely that means you are exceeding 60fps? (going by the assumption that most TVS are at or above 60hz)

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlasherMan

@Silock said:

Isn't screen tearing where the TV's refresh rate cannot keep up with the games framerate? In other words, if you have screen tearing surely that means you are exceeding 60fps? (going by the assumption that most TVS are at or above 60hz)

No, screen tearing happens when the framerate is not synced with the monitor/TV's supported refresh rates. Any framerate that is not in sync with any of the supported refresh rates will cause tearing to varying degrees. It's not just exclusive to the maximum refresh rate.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a capable PC, the PC version is much better most technical issues can be fix with some simple modding! Check out this thread for more info and I still recommend controller over M+K for this game, Clicking isn't as fun as the Analog controls.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By metalmoog

Got it on PS3. Enjoyed playing co-op with a buddy last night. One of the quests glitched out where you have to clear the light house at the beginning, the last required zombie to kill didn't show up. I left his game and restarted my PS3 as did he. Afterwards he wasn't showing up in my friends list in game and we couldn't join each others games.

The same thing happened the night before with a different buddy online. We couldn't connect and join each others games the whole night.

Ahh the joys of gaming over PSN.

How's the Xbox 360 version? Much more playable and working better as I've come to expect from almost every multi-platform title this gen?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Using a controller is the ONLY way to play this game on PC, IMO. I vote PC, especially since this game is even easier to mod than STALKER. I bet we'll see some cool shit within a couple months.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalMoog said:

Got it on PS3. Enjoyed playing co-op with a buddy last night. One of the quests glitched out where you have to clear the light house at the beginning, the last required zombie to kill didn't show up. I left his game and restarted my PS3 as did he. Afterwards he wasn't showing up in my friends list in game and we couldn't join each others games.

The same thing happened the night before with a different buddy online. We couldn't connect and join each others games the whole night.

How's the Xbox 360 version? Much more playable and working better as I've come to expect from almost every multi-platform title this gen?

I don't have the X360 version but my Friends do and they said the game is fine when playing Co-op. As for the PC version, I haven't played enough co-op to know yet.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By project343

PC version (now that it's patched) is the version to go with. Assuming that you have an adequate PC.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deathshroud

I keep seeing stuff on this game and it makes me want to get it more and more . But its not within my game budget ..so I'll have to pass :(

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By matiaz_tapia

@MetalMoog said:

I think there's a prerequisite to play with someone on co-op ( all platforms) where all players need to be around the same level and around the same point in the story. Thing is, story progression only counts for the host? .....I don't know. The co-op system works fine, but the design rules for it to happen are fuzzy and cumbersome.

In a game that gets confused about what level you are, where were you after you left the game and even at what point in the story, I'm not surprised that people stop showing up on the list because a glitch or simple design contrivances.

Inzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Inzzy

I would say the PC version also.

The game stalled a little the first time i got one of the ingame achievements, but other then that it's been running great, and I'm also using a 360 controller to play the game.

librariangmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By librariangmr

I just started playing it on PS3 and have had no problems. Game runs smoothly.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By ShinjiEx

Keep in mind a patch is coming soon for the PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.