Youtuber claiming to have found hidden nudity in game.

  • 124 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

Saw this on Kotaku, NSFW I supposed. Skip to 1:55 on the video to actually see the "evidence".

Taking a quick glance at the game's ESRB rating, it definitely doesn't say anything about nudity in the game, but given the games love of face dead zombie girls and camel toes, it's probably not too surprising.

Most people are saying the vaguely vulva-esque looking piece of character model is actually just the legs coming together in that angle, the question is if when inevitably the ESRB is informed of this video, if they will force the game to be pulled and re-print the discs. Is this hot coffee part 2? Will I get a $5.00 check from Dead Island devs five years from now?

#2 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Couldn't someone with the PC version of this extract the 3D model and confirm this easily? Either way...wow who cares?

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -

That guy has a creepy voice.

#4 Posted by Dross (303 posts) -

Wow...that's one hell of a rape voice he's got going on there...

#5 Posted by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

meh, if this kind of thing bothers people they should put their heads back in the sand.

#6 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

Sick!

#7 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

This is without a doubt the creepiest thing I've ever watched. That dude should be arrested so the children can be freed from his basement.

#8 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@billyhoush said:

Couldn't someone with the PC version of this extract the 3D model and confirm this easily? Either way...wow who cares?

Honestly, I'm not even convinced its actually part of the character model, I think its just the angle of the legs and some odd shading. The people who will care is likely the ESRB, who may try to pull the games rating. If the game gets an AO, they would need to pull it from stores and reprint new discs. It could become a pretty big deal, especially for the company.

#9 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Creepy dude is so fucking creepy.

#10 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

It's like a sleeve of a wizard!

That dude must have spent hours trying to look up her skirt. Creepy!

#11 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@billyhoush said:

Couldn't someone with the PC version of this extract the 3D model and confirm this easily? Either way...wow who cares?

Honestly, I'm not even convinced its actually part of the character model, I think its just the angle of the legs and some odd shading. The people who will care is likely the ESRB, who may try to pull the games rating. If the game gets an AO, they would need to pull it from stores and reprint new discs. It could become a pretty big deal, especially for the company.

Ugh...as if copies of the game aren't hard enough to find. I hope this weirdo dude enjoys his Adsense dollars and buys a flesh light.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton:

#13 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -

This dude right here, a true Hero of the Web.

#14 Posted by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

Honestly, I'm not even convinced its actually part of the character model, I think its just the angle of the legs and some odd shading. The people who will care is likely the ESRB, who may try to pull the games rating. If the game gets an AO, they would need to pull it from stores and reprint new discs. It could become a pretty big deal, especially for the company.

There's no actual sexual content though so I doubt it would be AO since for it to be AO, there would have to be sex involved. I mean GTA IV: TLATD had full frontal nudity and it was M rated.

#15 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

This guy sounds like a rapist.
#16 Posted by XenoNick (1401 posts) -

And it's things like this that make me lose faith in humanity a bit.

#17 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Why is there a man whispering the word panties into my ears?

#18 Posted by mikey87144 (1730 posts) -

I judge the person who took time out of their day to look for nudity in an M rated game about zombies. Seriously? Can't find better nudity on the internet? Girls don't like you 'cause you sound like a cartoon rapist?

#19 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Charlie Sheen?

#20 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@spazmaster666 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

Honestly, I'm not even convinced its actually part of the character model, I think its just the angle of the legs and some odd shading. The people who will care is likely the ESRB, who may try to pull the games rating. If the game gets an AO, they would need to pull it from stores and reprint new discs. It could become a pretty big deal, especially for the company.

There's no actual sexual content though so I doubt it would be AO since for it to be AO, there would have to be sex involved. I mean GTA IV: TLATD had full frontal nudity and it was M rated.

A few things on that:

The first, male nudity is taken a little differently in American culture than female nudity. Case in point, The Simpsons Movie featured a scene showing Bart's penis. I can't honestly say just because a game had male nudity and wasn't rated AO, that a game that featured female genitalia wouldn't either. Double standards and the like.

More importantly though, if its actually found to be on the character model, or the ESRB jumps onto the sensationalist train, the game would need to go back to the ratings board again. At that time, it would be pulled from shelves.

#21 Posted by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

A few things on that:

The first, male nudity is taken a little differently in American culture than female nudity. Case in point, The Simpsons Movie featured a scene showing Bart's penis. I can't honestly say just because a game had male nudity and wasn't rated AO, that a game that featured female genitalia wouldn't either. Double standards and the like.

More importantly though, if its actually found to be on the character model, or the ESRB jumps onto the sensationalist train, the game would need to go back to the ratings board again. At that time, it would be pulled from shelves.

Ironically though, male nudity is still far less prevalent in movies and video games than female nudity. If the ESRB does pull it though, it would probably be just to change the descriptor text, not actually change the rating.

#22 Posted by AndrewB (7588 posts) -

Something like this wouldn't raise the rating, would it? Hot coffee was all about nudity and an actual sex minigame (although it had to be activated with a mod). Dead Island is already M rated, and a little slip of nudity wouldn't mean a re-press (at least, I don't think it would. That would be dumb and unnecessary).

#23 Posted by superpow (227 posts) -

Is that his normal speaking voice? Sounds like the dude who would find something like this. The evidence is sketchy though.

#24 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

Creepy dude is so fucking creepy.

#25 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

That movie was sooo awesome. I really need to buy Dead Island.

No, but seriously who cares. I've seen almost just as bad in KOTOR

#26 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@spazmaster666 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

A few things on that:

The first, male nudity is taken a little differently in American culture than female nudity. Case in point, The Simpsons Movie featured a scene showing Bart's penis. I can't honestly say just because a game had male nudity and wasn't rated AO, that a game that featured female genitalia wouldn't either. Double standards and the like.

More importantly though, if its actually found to be on the character model, or the ESRB jumps onto the sensationalist train, the game would need to go back to the ratings board again. At that time, it would be pulled from shelves.

Ironically though, male nudity is still far less prevalent in movies and video games than female nudity. If the ESRB does pull it though, it would probably be just to change the descriptor text, not actually change the rating.

And if that were the case, that means all the copies need to reflect that new ESRB rating. That means the ESRB rating in the game and the manual needs to be rewritten and it needs to also appear on the case itself. You can't just patch that into the game, because it needs to reflect the new change out of the box, which means issuing out rewritten copies of the game. copies in the meantime are likely to be pulled for whatever undetermined amount of time it takes to tweak the copies and ship them back out. If the dev company is lucky, they can get away with issuing temporary stickers to place over the ESRB rating indicating the change. Either way, it'll cost a not very big company some dough (possibly dough they can't afford) and may even take the game off the market for awhile. It's a pretty big deal.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

One of the top comments nailed it: 
"figures the guy with the rape voice finds this first"

#28 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

Something like this wouldn't raise the rating, would it? Hot coffee was all about nudity and an actual sex minigame (although it had to be activated with a mod). Dead Island is already M rated, and a little slip of nudity wouldn't mean a re-press (at least, I don't think it would. That would be dumb and unnecessary).

Well what you have to realize is that while you think of it as "Oh hey, no big deal, it's already rated m for violence," a sue-crazy parent will see it as "WHAT THE FUCK!? I WAS FINE WITH THE VIOLENCE, BUT IT DIDN'T SAY THERE WOULD BE NUDITY!"

Law suits are expensive to defend against, and unfortunately much harder and more expensive than it is to find a lawyer hungry for a class action suit. Any "concerned parent" could sue the company for lieing about their product, and claim some type of mental duress.

#29 Posted by Deusoma (3005 posts) -
@Joeybagad0nutz said:
This guy sounds like a rapist.
You know, I sort of rolled my eyes at that while browsing the thread before I watched the video, but goddamn if that guy doesn't sound exactly like a rapist.
#30 Posted by Deusoma (3005 posts) -
@AndrewB said:

Something like this wouldn't raise the rating, would it? Hot coffee was all about nudity and an actual sex minigame (although it had to be activated with a mod). Dead Island is already M rated, and a little slip of nudity wouldn't mean a re-press (at least, I don't think it would. That would be dumb and unnecessary).

Well remember, there was controversy over the PC version of Oblivion because the ESRB misunderstood a fan-created mod that allowed players to render their ladies topless. These guys aren't as bad as the nutjobs who flipped out over the lesbian sex scene in Mass Effect, but they're not shining paragons of intellect, either.
#31 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Deusoma: I don't really want to know how you know the guy sounds "exactly" like a rapist, but you know, if you need somebody to talk to, we're here for you.

#32 Posted by FritzDude (2262 posts) -

Why is pixelated semi-nudity more shocking than pixelated gorefest? We live on a weird planet...

#33 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@FritzDude said:

Why is pixelated semi-nudity more shocking than pixelated gorefest? We live on a weird planet...

Its not the planet, its just American puritan culture. You could probably blame the Bible, and to a greater extent, the puritan movement that immigrated to America. The Bible talks a lot, in great detail at many times, about gory violence, but holds the body and sexuality as a sacred holy thing (most of the time.) Follow that with the Puritan ideology that can be best equated to extremist Islam today, and you have a society founded on taking violence lightly by nudity and sex as unsightly.

#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -
@FritzDude said:

Why is pixelated semi-nudity more shocking than pixelated gorefest? We live on a weird planet...

It isn't like that across the planet. Actually, I think it's mostly like that in one particular part of it.
#35 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I have to admit that I'm a little creeped out by the amount of people who know what rapists sound like.

#36 Posted by AndrewB (7588 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@AndrewB said:

Something like this wouldn't raise the rating, would it? Hot coffee was all about nudity and an actual sex minigame (although it had to be activated with a mod). Dead Island is already M rated, and a little slip of nudity wouldn't mean a re-press (at least, I don't think it would. That would be dumb and unnecessary).

Well what you have to realize is that while you think of it as "Oh hey, no big deal, it's already rated m for violence," a sue-crazy parent will see it as "WHAT THE FUCK!? I WAS FINE WITH THE VIOLENCE, BUT IT DIDN'T SAY THERE WOULD BE NUDITY!"

Law suits are expensive to defend against, and unfortunately much harder and more expensive than it is to find a lawyer hungry for a class action suit. Any "concerned parent" could sue the company for lieing about their product, and claim some type of mental duress.

I hope that's not the case considering the creators of the game aren't lying about their product, it's the ESRB, which operates independently, which may have missed something in their analysis.

But yeah, doesn't matter that they'd easily win the case. Legal fees would still be a bitch assuming they were allowed to proceed anyway.

I'm totally out of touch with all this considering I was playing the likes of Doom back in grade school.

@Deusoma said:

Well remember, there was controversy over the PC version of Oblivion because the ESRB misunderstood a fan-created mod that allowed players to render their ladies topless. These guys aren't as bad as the nutjobs who flipped out over the lesbian sex scene in Mass Effect, but they're not shining paragons of intellect, either.

Totally forgot about that one. Man...

#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:

I have to admit that I'm a little creeped out by the amount of people who know what rapists sound like.

It's not that we know what rapists sound like, but it's the creepy, subdued tone of voice that makes it analogous to someone of that nature: 
  
#38 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Nice to see Kotaku reporting on the hard hitting journalistic topics like this one.

#39 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

Just pretend it's Adam Jensen talking to you. It makes it...funnier? 

#40 Edited by The_Tolman (432 posts) -

Honestly why do we care? I hate people so much.

#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

dat pussy 
 
Sorry I mean.. Fuck that guy sounds like a rapist. Right guys?

#42 Edited by Elusionar (309 posts) -

You can cut there limbs off, bat there head off, burn them to death... but don't you dare show there private parts!...?

#43 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

This is most likely just an anomaly from the model of the character. People looking for something will always "find" what they want.

#44 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

Hot.

#45 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

That is the most creepiest thing I think I have ever watched.

#46 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Charlie Sheen?

OH SHIT

#47 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1763 posts) -

Holy fuck, I need to take a shower for every time that man said "panties".

I though the Witcher 2 proved we were pretty much over this kind of stuff?

Online
#48 Posted by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -

"I believe I am the first to discover this"

Yeah, because no one else wastes their time with this creepy bullshit.

#49 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@Mr_Skeleton:

#50 Posted by bybeach (4792 posts) -

That looks better than real..too bad the creepy guy ruins it :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.