Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Dead or Alive 5 is the seventh entry in the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise, introducing a new visual style, new game mechanics, and highly interactive stages.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus announced for the Vita

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By FLStyle

Over on the IPLfighters stream, the resident IPL DOA5 presenters/casters/commentators (don't know their names off the top of my head, they're rather awkward) introduced a video of Yosuke Hayashi announcing DOA5 Plus, which is now on the IPL fighters youtube channel. IPL has been hyping up DOA as it's the official eSports channel of choice for Team Ninja games.

DOA5 Plus is releasing in the early stage of 2013, no details have been given other than you should expect everything that you associate with a DOA title, that there's a "feature expanding patch" for the existing PS3 and 360 versions and that Team Ninja plan on giving their full support for 2013's IPL events.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

what the..

well, this is.. weird. i wonder if Team NINJA's going to ever release any like, actual original content on the Vita, and not just ports of other games. ah well, i'll wait for details, but the title doesn't leave all that much to the imagination based off of their other "Plus" games.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

This is incredible!!! I prefer my fighters on portables. MK on Vita has gotten more play time out of me than the PS3 version and DOA Dimensions for 3DS has practically been glued in the game slot. This will be my new DOA on the go fix.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TechHits

I could see this being alright, I would love to experience the batshit insanity of Doa but I wasn't really looking to get it on ps3.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

I think that massive block of next gen rumors mentioned this game. Supposedly it'll be on the Wii U, as well.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

@Hailinel: Wouldn't be surprised. Team Ninja and Nintendo seem to have a good relationship.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By musubi

Interesting... but seeing as my DOA 5 playing has well... pretty much dropped off I can't say I'm super excited or anything.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By AngelN7

Dude... now there's TWO! games to get for the Vita, I just need something from Square like a Dissidia and I will totally drop the cash for a Vita. I'm really liking DOA5 on PS3 and I play with the d-pad so the transition could feel comfortable.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

Interesting... but seeing as my DOA 5 playing has well... pretty much dropped off I can't say I'm super excited or anything.

Why did you stop?

This seems neat I guess. If it gets more people into the game i'm happy with it. Just hope any added content comes to the console versions.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan: I dunno man it just didn't click with me as much as I would like. Its not even on my top 10 of the year. I don't regret buying it I just eh... I dunno.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: I dunno man it just didn't click with me as much as I would like. Its not even on my top 10 of the year. I don't regret buying it I just eh... I dunno.

I never got into it competitively, but the game was worth it to me for the story mode alone.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

I can understand your point. I don't like it quite as much as I though I might but I still really like the game. Easily in my top 10. Although I never made that yet. Anything in particular you where not happy with?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan: I'm not really sure there is just a ja ne se quoi about it. Its the same feeling I've had for all Team Ninja Games since Itagaki left. I don't hate them... I just I don't think Hayashi has the same flair as Itagaki. I don't think Team Ninja can ever do anything that will remotely come close to Ninja Gaiden Black. I did enjoy the matches I played with you and though. But like at the end of the day If I'm going to recommend a fighting game to someone from this year surprisingly enough its going to be Tekken Tag 2.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: I'm not really sure there is just a ja ne se quoi about it. Its the same feeling I've had for all Team Ninja Games since Itagaki left. I don't hate them... I just I don't think Hayashi has the same flair as Itagaki. I don't think Team Ninja can ever do anything that will remotely come close to Ninja Gaiden Black. I did enjoy the matches I played with you and though. But like at the end of the day If I'm going to recommend a fighting game to someone from this year surprisingly enough its going to be Tekken Tag 2.

That is fair. The game does have a different flavor to the Itagaki helmed DOA games. Hayashi and the team currently behind DOA is not bad though. They get it the series and care about the it's fans. As evidenced in the OP with their partnership with IPL mentioned.

I never dug deep into TTT2 but that game seems rad. I never got into any of the other Tekken games either, so it's weird for me.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By bed

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

That is fair. The game does have a different flavor to the Itagaki helmed DOA games. Hayashi and the team currently behind DOA is not bad though. They get it the series and care about the it's fans. As evidenced in the OP with their partnership with IPL mentioned.

I never dug deep into TTT2 but that game seems rad. I never got into any of the other Tekken games either, so it's weird for me.

everything in Dead or Alive 5 has definitely been a departure from the Itagaki games, but the fighting still remains as strong as it ever was. the series'll never feel the same way, no matter how many times they reuse music, or bring back old costumes. that fact alone is totally disappointing. DOA5 could have been a lot better than what it turned out to be, but i'm still pretty happy with the overall result, even if it didn't meet my, undoubtedly high expectations. however, even with some of the game's shortcomings and the series' embarrassing reputation, it looks like things are looking up for Dead or Alive 5. fan feedback on patches and constant DLC costume additions (even if they're grossly overpriced) are a nice reminder that they're probably not planning to abandon the game anytime soon. probably, being a keyword. the game's only been out for like, a bit more than two months. let's hope it keeps going strong.

i don't think we'll see a game as well crafted as Ninja Gaiden Black from Team NINJA ever again. it seems like their direction has past creating an incredibly challenging game, but rather making an action game that appeals to everybody. even when they try to appeal to the hardcore NG audience (not that i'm a part of it), it looks like they just can't get it right. the hard mode in Ninja Gaiden 3 was absolutely terrible. frame rate issues aside, making enemies the hack n' slash equivalent of a bullet sponge, and greatly increasing the number of enemy waves during an encounter isn't, in my opinion, the right way to make your game more difficult. it just feels boring, frustrating (in the wrong ways) and a total pain to sit through.

although, it's not like that's a problem exclusive to the post-Itagaki Team NINJA. even playing some Ninja Gaiden II (and Sigma 2) as of recently on the harder difficulties really exposes some of the flaws that those games have. it looks like Itagaki's TN couldn't even get it as right as they could in NGB, either. however, i suppose it's hard to top a game as good as Ninja Gaiden Black.

oh, and also, it's je ne sais quoi i think, not ja ne se quoi. i don't even think ja is a word in french.

(sorry, can't let that slide as a French Canadia resident)

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Solh0und

Well it's kind of a good thing I didn't buy that console version,huh?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

everything in Dead or Alive 5 has definitely been a departure from the Itagaki games, but the fighting still remains as strong as it ever was. the series'll never feel the same way, no matter how many times they reuse music, or bring back old costumes. that fact alone is totally disappointing. DOA5 could have been a lot better than what it turned out to be, but i'm still pretty happy with the overall result, even if it didn't meet my, undoubtedly high expectations. however, even with some of the game's shortcomings and the series' embarrassing reputation, it looks like things are looking up for Dead or Alive 5. fan feedback on patches and constant DLC costume additions (even if they're grossly overpriced) are a nice reminder that they're probably not planning to abandon the game anytime soon. probably, being a keyword. the game's only been out for like, a bit more than two months. let's hope it keeps going strong.

i don't think we'll see a game as well crafted as Ninja Gaiden Black from Team NINJA ever again. it seems like their direction has past creating an incredibly challenging game, but rather making an action game that appeals to everybody. even when they try to appeal to the hardcore NG audience (not that i'm a part of it), it looks like they just can't get it right. the hard mode in Ninja Gaiden 3 was absolutely terrible. frame rate issues aside, making enemies the hack n' slash equivalent of a bullet sponge, and greatly increasing the number of enemy waves during an encounter isn't, in my opinion, the right way to make your game more difficult. it just feels boring, frustrating (in the wrong ways) and a total pain to sit through.

although, it's not like that's a problem exclusive to the post-Itagaki Team NINJA. even playing some Ninja Gaiden II (and Sigma 2) as of recently on the harder difficulties really exposes some of the flaws that those games have. it looks like Itagaki's TN couldn't even get it as right as they could in NGB, either. however, i suppose it's hard to top a game as good as Ninja Gaiden Black.

oh, and also, it's je ne sais quoi i think, not ja ne se quoi. i don't even think ja is a word in french.

(sorry, can't let that slide as a French Canadia resident)

I think they are going to support it for a while. They are working on a patch to address issue people have with it. I like that they are listening to the competitive players and taking their feedback into consideration. They did the same thing before the game was out to. I never seen that with a fighting game before. Not a fan of the DLC, but what are ya gonna do?

I don't fault them for not making a game as good as Ninja Gaiden Black. I consider that game near perfect with only minor issues. It is one of my favorites. It holds up wonderfully today and still looks pretty good visually. Just make it HD and it would be set. There are elements to that game's design that other game have yet to match.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@FLStyle said:

Over on the IPLfighters stream, the resident IPL DOA5 presenters/casters/commentators (don't know their names off the top of my head, they're rather awkward)

Is it possible for a DOA fan of any kind to not be awkward anywhere and everywhere? Is there a commentator that just shits all over the fanbase and laughs about horrible fanservice and things? That would be quite the champion of truth and justice.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FLStyle

@Fredchuckdave said:

@FLStyle said:

Over on the IPLfighters stream, the resident IPL DOA5 presenters/casters/commentators (don't know their names off the top of my head, they're rather awkward)

Is it possible for a DOA fan of any kind to not be awkward anywhere and everywhere? Is there a commentator that just shits all over the fanbase and laughs about horrible fanservice and things? That would be quite the champion of truth and justice.

I would've thought one of these two would considering she's a woman, but she's too busy along with the gent next to her stumbling nervously through the show. I imagine they wouldn't say anything during matches unless one of the players put a bikini costume on, because at that point it would make IPL look bad.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

I think this port needs more Virtua Fighter characters. Just put all the Virtua Fighter characters in it.

Then we can finally see Brad Burns versus Brad Wong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.