DOA 5 Community/Help/Discussion thread.

#1 Edited by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

So I wanted a general thread to post random bits of DOA 5 stuff in without having to create a new thread each time I want to post something dumb about DOA 5. So I figure Hey... lets just combine that and make it a community thread as well. So if you want to talk strategy or get help on doing some of the tougher challenges/unlocks or if you just want to find people to fight online THIS is the place. So without further ado......post your Gamer Tags, Help questions and other general DOA related nonsense here!

NameSystemGamertag/PSN ID
DemoskinosXbox 360Demoskinos
mpgeist360/Ps3XBL:MP Geist PSN:mp_geist
AjayRazXbox 360AjayRaz
ImmortalSaiyanXbox 360Immortal saiyan
GunstarRedXbox 360seamonster king
SuperWristBandsXbox 360SuperWristBands
Smokeyd123PS3Smokey123
RavellePS3Voltburn
VanekXbox 360Super Bagpuss
MrFlukeXbox 360MrFluke
DazzhardyXbox 360DazzHardy
BoOzAkXbox 360BoOzAK
InformationHighXbox 360InformationHigh
Cosmic BatmanXbox 360Cosmic Batman
#2 Posted by mpgeist (578 posts) -

Gamertag: MP Geist PSN ID: mp_geist Yes I have it for both, my friends are aholes and got it for different systems. Hopefully we can do some tourneys and stuff!

#3 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

gamertag's AjayRaz and i'm on the Xbox trois-soixante

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

My gamertag is Immortal saiyan. If anyone wants to play me don't hesitate to send me a message.

#5 Edited by GunstarRed (4728 posts) -

360 gamertag seamonster king. I am the best Ayane player ever. I totally have some questions about countering, but I'll mess about in training to see if I can figure them out before posting them.

#6 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -
@GunstarRed
360 gamertay seamonster king. I am the best Ayane player ever. I totally have some questions about countering, but I'll mess about in training to see if I can figure them out before posting them.
i think there's an online training mode now so you can get somebody to spar with you
#7 Posted by GunstarRed (4728 posts) -

@AjayRaz: I've had a lot more trouble trying to find anyone to play with than I would have expected. Also I have never gotten an invitation during training to connect ever.

#8 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

@GunstarRed: i've gotten em to work but you just have to hit the back button real quick or else the matchmaking thingy bugs another player with a throwdown invite i think. not sure how that works yet but for the 50% of the time that it worked, it was because i hit it real fast.

#9 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

Gamertag: SuperWristBands

As for help, it's been a long while since I've played a DoA game and I can't remember what the green counter hold things are. Like when Bayman grabs me and I have a chance to breakout, I just don't know how or why I sometimes do and sometimes don't. I don't mean pressing the throw button as he goes for a throw, I mean his weird grab combos where he cycles through multiple grabs in one combo.

#10 Edited by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

@SuperWristBands: so i guess you're talking about chain grabs, and how you escape them?

pretty much, the Bayman player has to look out for "combo hold" to pop up under their life bar during his chain grab, so theycan do an input to start the next move. at the same time, you can hit the throw button to break out of the grab while "combo hold" is on the screen. not too sure about the priority on that, though. my guess is that you gotta do it before the bayman player gets his next grab input in, but i don't know since i never play grapple characters.

is that what you're talking about?

#11 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

@AjayRaz: Yup, that's exactly it. Seems... strange. The same thing happens with Mila but all you gotta do is mash the punch or kick button to do a combo. I guess it's whoever is better at mashing is gonna win that exchange.

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

Gamertag: SuperWristBands

As for help, it's been a long while since I've played a DoA game and I can't remember what the green counter hold things are. Like when Bayman grabs me and I have a chance to breakout, I just don't know how or why I sometimes do and sometimes don't. I don't mean pressing the throw button as he goes for a throw, I mean his weird grab combos where he cycles through multiple grabs in one combo.

I believe you are referring to offensive holds. They are throws with hold properties. So in Bayman's case he has a throw that will beat out strikes like a hold would. Those are green. I am very familiar with Bayman so that is all I can say.

#13 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

@SuperWristBands: i think my friend and i tested if you can mash out of chain grabs in DOA4 and it didn't work. you hafta be good with the timing if you want to break free of a chain grab. i don't think that's changed in DOA5 because i certainly can't mash out of Mila's ground n' pound stance

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

I'm going through Akira's command training. Holy shit. As advertised Akira's moveset is just like VF some of these moves I can barely do them.

#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I'm going through Akira's command training. Holy shit. As advertised Akira's moveset is just like VF some of these moves I can barely do them.

Same here. I am trying our various characters move sets and Akiras is by far the most complex.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Yeah, I'm just trying to get as many titles as I can right now. You unlock Alpha-152 after you acquire 300 titles.

#17 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Yeah, I'm just trying to get as many titles as I can right now. You unlock Alpha-152 after you acquire 300 titles.

I am not worrying about that. It will happen when it happens. I doubt I would use her anyways. I'm going through training because I like so many of the characters and the ones I don't - Well it's nice to have some idea what they can do.

#18 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1619 posts) -

I think I will finally give in and buy this game, I've been mulling it over since the QL. Looks like the majority of folks have it for the 360 (which makes sense considering that's been the platform for the last few), so I'm tempted to get that, but I reallllllly hate playing fighting games with that controller. All my other fighting games are for the PS3 (and my fight stick is for that system too), so I'll probably just continue the trend. Anyone have any input either way?

#19 Edited by smokeyd123 (300 posts) -

Tag: Smokey123. PS3. Seems most everyone here is an XBRO, so I am sad.

I have an important question. HOW DO I GET BAYMAN TO PUT HIS BACK TO THE OPPONENT IN COMMAND TRAINING? I've been sitting here for about 30 minutes trying everything so I can finish up his training. It's really stressing me out.

EDIT: Nevermind, just got by accident when I was fucking around with some combos for critical burst.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@smokeyd123: Quarter-Circle Back + Punch to turn Bayman around.

#21 Posted by Ravelle (1044 posts) -

I'm on PS3, my PSN is : Voltburn. feel free to send me a throwdown when you see me online.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

Would anyone like/need/find it useful if I made a guide detailing how to complete all of the story mode bonus missions? I've been rattling the idea around in my brain as I finished the last one I missed on my initial story mode run up last night.

#23 Posted by Vanek (376 posts) -

Gamertag: Super Bagpuss

I'd be up for some friendly matches once I finally get the game. The game isn't out in the UK till tomorrow and Amazon is doing everything in its power to fuck up preorders and fail the dispatch them on time like usual, so basically I wont have it for another few days. I was thinking if possible the OP could add a region section to the table to make it easier for people to find the right people to play against. I know some people will want to match against people in the same region for connection reasons.

#24 Edited by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Would anyone like/need/find it useful if I made a guide detailing how to complete all of the story mode bonus missions? I've been rattling the idea around in my brain as I finished the last one I missed on my initial story mode run up last night.

they're pretty straightforward for the most part, so i don't see why that would be totally necessary. maybe some tips on the tougher ones (like breaking out of an offensive hold or something) would be better.

seriously. i couldn't get that one done for the life of me ; ;

#25 Posted by Sword5 (150 posts) -

Does this game have two player online tag? I was trying to get it to work, but I couldn't find the option. It was real easy to do in DOA4.

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@AjayRaz: Hmm...fair point. I guess if anyone has trouble I'll just answer questions by a per question basis in this thread.

#27 Posted by mrfluke (4835 posts) -

System :Xbox 360

Gamertag :Mrfluke

#28 Posted by GunstarRed (4728 posts) -

So the power blow. I finally realised I needed to learn how to do it, I haven't finished the story mode yet, so the challenges might explain how it works, but is there any indicator of when that move will go into the slo-mo camera? Because I was hitting with the power blow move in arcade mode a bunch and only ever got it to go into the combo of hits a couple of times.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@GunstarRed: Are you below 50% health? While you can "do" the power blow input at any time it only ever triggers once your below 50% health.

#30 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

It's really good

#31 Posted by GunstarRed (4728 posts) -

@Demoskinos: ahhh that totally makes sense, thanks.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@GunstarRed: Yeah, they severely neutered the Power Blow from Alpha version. In the Alpha demo power blow was just simply holding down RB/R1 and you could spam it over and over. So they changed it to balance it out that you can only do it under 50% health and only once per round. Which is good because you can take 50%+ health off with the right combo.

#33 Posted by GunstarRed (4728 posts) -

@Demoskinos: All that knowing how to do this properly is going to result in me continuously trying to do it during matches, and getting my face punched out of the animation.

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@GunstarRed: Thats What the critical burst is for! It gives you JUST enough time to link into a power blow.

#35 Posted by smokeyd123 (300 posts) -

Has anyone beatean the game on legendary yet? I still continue to get my ass kicked. That Tina costume will forever allude me it seems.

#36 Posted by AjayRaz (12389 posts) -

@smokeyd123: yea i finished all of the solo arcade stages but i didn't get the tina costume from beating her

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@smokeyd123: The Lisa one is the one that frightens me. Legendary Survival course. Fuuuuck that.

#38 Edited by smokeyd123 (300 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Survival seems doable, if you can keep them against the side of the stage. Too bad I'm terrible with Lisa.

@AjayRaz: Gotta do it with Tina, without using a continue. Seems crazy.

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@smokeyd123: You don't have to use Lisa. You just have to beat the course.

#40 Posted by DazzHardy (629 posts) -

Xbox 360: DazzHardy, if you need someone to lose a lot =P

#41 Posted by smokeyd123 (300 posts) -

@Demoskinos:

according to the internet, (and the guide) you have to use the specific character to unlock the suit for them.

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@smokeyd123: Uh...I dunno. I've been hearing a ton of people using Ryu to go through Arcade and Time Attack because he can cheapo the AI pretty good. I've also heard reports of people continuing and still getting the costumes.

#43 Posted by mrfluke (4835 posts) -

really surprised at how much i enjoyed the story mode. i recommend you duders to finish it as its pretty alright.

and also stay after the credits.

#44 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@mrfluke: Indeed. The bit after the credits felt like they stole a page out of Metal Gear Solid's book.

#45 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@mrfluke: Indeed. The bit after the credits felt like they stole a page out of Metal Gear Solid's book.

I don't think I understood the ending. SPOILERS to follow. So the caped person was another clone of Kasumi? Also working for Donovan I presume. Is that it because I feel as if i'm missing something.

#46 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Well...

I think from the brief flash we got it sort of looked like Ayane which either means two things. One more of those Alpha Clones that you fought at the end are still around which can turn into any of the ninjas or somehow there are now clones of Ayane. I'm not sure which really.
#47 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

Dammit. Had no idea Jeff played DOA 5 on TNT last night. Skipped watching it because I figured they were going to only do Trine. Now I'm sad. =(

#48 Posted by mrfluke (4835 posts) -

@Demoskinos: yep dude totally did doa last night. i was able to kick his ass on TNT :D

#49 Posted by mrfluke (4835 posts) -

Also @Demoskinos: @ImmortalSaiyan:

#50 Posted by Demoskinos (13848 posts) -

@mrfluke: Yeah I saw and online last night in a lobby. Oh well. I'll get online soon enough after my insanely dumb quest for Alpha 152 is over. I'm at 279 titles right now. 21 more to go! I'll add some more of you guys on my friends list later tonight. Might have to do some cleaning up first as I apparently hit the 100 friends limit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.