Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Dead or Alive 5 is the seventh entry in the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise, introducing a new visual style, new game mechanics, and highly interactive stages.

DOA 5 Community/Help/Discussion thread.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By TobbRobb

Picked the game up today, no Live gold at the moment though. But you can write me up as a 360 user for the moment.

This game is fun as hell! But Brad Wong can go fuck himself, by far the most annoying character to fight.

Well I'll just keep practicing offline for a while, get some basics in order. See you guys on the field later on!

Oh, and I kind of get an "ability overload" looking at the movelists. Would you say every character has a few bread and butter moves, or do I have to play the memorization game. Also, would you say the characters play differently enough to matter?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By mrfluke

so whats the over under on how long till we see a doa 6? 2-3 years? its obviously gonna be a next gen game. and im super interested to keep following their ridiculous story through.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By mrfluke

and now that they can paint their own story and they are not beholdent to itagakis bullshit. doa story can potentially get better from here on in.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@TobbRobb said:

Picked the game up today, no Live gold at the moment though. But you can write me up as a 360 user for the moment.

This game is fun as hell! But Brad Wong can go fuck himself, by far the most annoying character to fight.

Well I'll just keep practicing offline for a while, get some basics in order. See you guys on the field later on!

Oh, and I kind of get an "ability overload" looking at the movelists. Would you say every character has a few bread and butter moves, or do I have to play the memorization game. Also, would you say the characters play differently enough to matter?

I know what you mean about ability overload. I am working on understanding everyone moves. I'd say that everyone character does have their bnb's. Moves with frame advantage on block, sit down stuns, etc. In this game every character feels more distinct than is DOA4. No two characters have the same strategy and everyone has their own specific tools to work with.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By musubi
    @TobbRobb Each character while sometimes having an upwards of 100+ commands usually boil down to a few select commands. Most of the longer strings and such dont really matter id say it's much more important to know a couple of good attacks with each character. Bring other things into your repitore as you feel comfy but I usually find if I try to think about what Im doing instead of paying attention to my opponent then I usually bite it pretty hard.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TobbRobb

@Demoskinos: Yeah I've kind of just been mashing buttons as offense and focused more on blocking and positioning. Well mashing maybe isn't entirely accurate, I at least pay attention to range, height and speed when choosing what to spam. :D

That has been working out alright, but I feel a bit weak without proper combos. I've been liking Mila a lot, know any specifics about her? I'll figure stuff out on my own eventually, but asking never hurt anyone.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By musubi
    @TobbRobb Haven't played around with Mila too much but from what little I have it seems her strike to grapples seem pretty clutch as she is a MMA fighter.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

@TobbRobb Haven't played around with Mila too much but from what little I have it seems her strike to grapples seem pretty clutch as she is a MMA fighter.

For sure. She can strings that go into take downs so I'd say take advance to those.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By smokeyd123

@ImmortalSaiyan: Mila has become one of my favorite characters, due to her simplicity and her ability to have 3 options for her sidestep (Punch, Kick, Takedown throw)

The fake outs into the throw can net some good damage if you manage to get the ground combo going. And ground throws. I love ground throws.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TobbRobb

Hmm, my xbox can't be taken online until like, monday. And I'm pretty much already done with story mode. Lack of singleplayer content is making me sad. It's pretty much just costumes and Alpha now right? Though I could see a few of those requirements being pretty fucking time consuming, I think those might be out of my reach anyhow though.

Oh well, at least I have people to beat up locally. Really want to take the fight online though. Seems a lot of people picked this up as their first DoA, and it feels like I'm missing out on the learning process.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mrfluke

@TobbRobb: yea i really wish they did silly endings in arcade mode. but the story mode was alright and it was their first real big budget attempt at a fighting game story and it was solid. so i cant blame them for putting their focus on a story mode this round

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By musubi
    @mrfluke

@TobbRobb: yea i really wish they did silly endings in arcade mode. but the story mode was alright and it was their first real big budget attempt at a fighting game story and it was solid. so i cant blame them for putting their focus on a story mode this round

Yeah a bit of a bummer on the other hand Arcade Mode has no bosses which....is amazing! Fighting game bosses are usually awful. And make me hate playing arcade mode. Tekken Tag 2 is a good example of this Jun/Unknown are AWFUL to fight against in Arcade mode. Glad to see they resisted the urge to make a really dumb end boss fight.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TobbRobb

@Demoskinos said:

@mrfluke

Yeah a bit of a bummer on the other hand Arcade Mode has no bosses which....is amazing! Fighting game bosses are usually awful. And make me hate playing arcade mode. Tekken Tag 2 is a good example of this Jun/Unknown are AWFUL to fight against in Arcade mode. Glad to see they resisted the urge to make a really dumb end boss fight.

All of this very true, but it made Arcade feel a bit, anticlimatic? I wish it gave more than a costume. But the game is still fun and the story is appropriately retarded. Good stuff, good buy. Even at full price. ^^

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By musubi

So, for anyone having trouble going through harder arcade modes especially if you want to attempt Legend Arcade for Tina's teeny tiny swimsuit I present the ultimate in cheapo exploit the AI stratagies. I just did this and I won every round except the very last fight with Christie who proved to be a pretty big bitch.... outside of Christie everyone else went down to this pretty reliably.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#65  Edited By bed

@Demoskinos said:

@smokeyd123: Uh...I dunno. I've been hearing a ton of people using Ryu to go through Arcade and Time Attack because he can cheapo the AI pretty good. I've also heard reports of people continuing and still getting the costumes.

you need to beat em with the same character, and without using a continue. just checked the strategy guide

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By musubi

@AjayRaz said:

@Demoskinos said:

@smokeyd123: Uh...I dunno. I've been hearing a ton of people using Ryu to go through Arcade and Time Attack because he can cheapo the AI pretty good. I've also heard reports of people continuing and still getting the costumes.

you need to beat em with the same character, and without using a continue. just checked the strategy guide

The continuing thing has been confirmed but plenty of people are using Ryu. And in the video I just posted you can see he unlocks it and uses Lei-Fang.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By bed

@Demoskinos said:

@AjayRaz said:

@Demoskinos said:

The continuing thing has been confirmed but plenty of people are using Ryu. And in the video I just posted you can see he unlocks it and uses Lei-Fang.

ffffff shoulda watched that first

EFF YOU STRATEGY GUIDE

No Caption Provided
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By musubi

@AjayRaz: You actually bought that thing? XD Well, might make a nice paperweight.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By bed

@Demoskinos said:

@AjayRaz: You actually bought that thing? XD Well, might make a nice paperweight.

it was half off with the game so i figured, why not. plus, it has some pretty awesome information enclosed in it despite its now apparent inaccuracy.

ah well. that's the risk of buying a strategy guide. "approved and reviewed by Team Ninja" my ass. it appears that they don't even know how they programmed their own game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By musubi

@AjayRaz said:

@Demoskinos said:

it was half off with the game so i figured, why not. plus, it has some pretty awesome information enclosed in it despite its now apparent inaccuracy.

ah well. that's the risk of buying a strategy guide. "approved and reviewed by Team Ninja" my ass. it appears that they don't even know how they programmed their own game.

I hate Mila so much. =( Just got to Legend round 7 with no losses then lost to Mila. Bawww. =( Oh well... I'll keep trying. I can say the Lei-Fang thing seems to be super effective. At the very least I have all the solo Arcade titles now.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By bed

@Demoskinos: that.. doesn't have anything to do with what i said but okay! i problably won't bother with that costume because i hate Tina and seeing her in pretty much any form makes me want to break stuff.

seriously. i hope her and Kasumi die in DOA6 or something.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By musubi

@AjayRaz: I like Tina probably because of my affinity for wrestling. She totally has CM Punk's GTS as one of her throws and that makes me so happy. Bass has Brock Lesnar's F5 too.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By smokeyd123

@AjayRaz: But Tina is great...

@Demoskinos: and so is Mila...

They're my favorites... and Bayman. Everybody loves Bayman.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@AjayRaz said:

@Demoskinos: that.. doesn't have anything to do with what i said but okay! i problably won't bother with that costume because i hate Tina and seeing her in pretty much any form makes me want to break stuff.

What do you have against Tina and Kasumi?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By musubi

Finally got Alpha 152. My dumb quest is over! Its funny, I took her through training mode and they didn't even bother to name her moves. They just used fighting notation so like her forward punch is just named 6P just like it would be in fighting game notation. Wondering if I can troll people with her online. xD

Edit: Yep..you totally can use her online. Just trolled some poor fool. Her downsides are really obvious though she has a really tough recovery time on a ton of her moves. If you don't stay on offense pretty much 100% of the time your pretty well boned.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#77  Edited By Hailinel

@AjayRaz said:

I'd be the happiest man in the world if they got rid of Jann Lee. He brings out nothing but rage in me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TobbRobb

@Hailinel said:

@AjayRaz said:

I'd be the happiest man in the world if they got rid of Jann Lee. He brings out nothing but rage in me.

Jann Lee and Brad Wong need to die in a fire. Completely Indifferent to Kasumi and Tina. :D

Also, Mila new favorite character. The throwdowns are just great!

@CosmicBatman: You can derail trains, get hit by RPGs, get eaten by tigers, fall down a waterfall. And much more!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@TobbRobb said:

@Hailinel said:

@AjayRaz said:

Jann Lee and Brad Wong need to die in a fire. Completely Indifferent to Kasumi and Tina. :D

@CosmicBatman: You can derail trains, get hit by RPGs, get eaten by tigers, fall down a waterfall. And much more!

So much characters hate going on. I like all the characters in DOA5. Even ones I never liked playing before. It looks like there is less enviromentl stuff because now you can start a stage at any point including the bottom tier. Many of the stages have multiple levels still. But there are a handful that are just a large fighting ring.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TobbRobb

@ImmortalSaiyan: I'm not really hating them. Well Jann Lee a little because he's another Bruce Lee clone. I'm just really annoyed because I can't read their moves well... Who knew fake drunken master would actually work as intended.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By BoOzak

@CosmicBatman said:

My only question is can you throw guys out of windows? It seems like there are less environmental effects than in previous games, or am I wrong?

You can knock them off stuff and through walls etc. But I have yet to see any windows. Personally I preferred the stages from the last game. I'm enjoying everything else though.

XBL Gamertag: BoOzAk

I dont have anything usefull to add, the game just came out yesterday in the UK. I would like to know how to unlock Alpha 152 & Pai Chan though.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Ravelle

@Hailinel: Fuckin' Jahn Lee. Every time I get at least a bit close to him I get either a fist to the face or a dragon kick to the face; sending me flying. His reach is bullshit. Brad Wong isn't so bad, sure he has annoying kicks and punches but at least you can engage in combat with him.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By musubi
    @Ravelle If you duck his flying dragon kick will miss you and leave him really exposed.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By musubi
    @BoOzak

@CosmicBatman said:

My only question is can you throw guys out of windows? It seems like there are less environmental effects than in previous games, or am I wrong?

You can knock them off stuff and through walls etc. But I have yet to see any windows. Personally I preferred the stages from the last game. I'm enjoying everything else though.

I dont have anything usefull to add, the game just came out yesterday in the UK. I would like to know how to unlock Alpha 152 & Pai Chan though.

Psi is unlocked after getting 100 titles. Alpha 152 is unlocked by getting 300 titles.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

@BoOzak

@CosmicBatman said:

Psi is unlocked after getting 100 titles. Alpha 152 is unlocked by getting 300 titles.

How can you tell how many titles you have?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By bed

@ImmortalSaiyan: in the main menu, you can press x to pop up that status screen and it should tell you how many titles you have

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By musubi
    @ImmortalSaiyan I think like 303? Now that I have alpha Ill probably not worry about titles anymore.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#88  Edited By Hailinel

@Ravelle said:

@Hailinel: Fuckin' Jahn Lee. Every time I get at least a bit close to him I get either a fist to the face or a dragon kick to the face; sending me flying. His reach is bullshit. Brad Wong isn't so bad, sure he has annoying kicks and punches but at least you can engage in combat with him.

Seriously. Any challenge in story mode that required me to fight him to accomplish, I just said fuck it and beat his ass. Getting the one where you fight him with Kokoro is seemingly impossible because he simply would not do what I needed him to do in order to have any chance of earning it.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: in the main menu, you can press x to pop up that status screen and it should tell you how many titles you have

Thanks. That is useful. I only have 158 guess I'm not getting Alpha soon.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

By the way you got my gamertag. You put what I wish it was but I messed it up when I created so it is Immortal saiyan. With the space and lower case s.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#91  Edited By Dany

@AjayRaz said:

Yo! Good games we played :)

Your Ayane is devastating, I seriously need more practice with Kasumi. I anyone wants to add me, A Lost Hiro

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By bed

@Dany: aha, yea it was lots of fun. my Lei Fang can't seem to get it right against you, though. something about your Kasumi keeps throwing me off when i'm playing as her. thank you for the Ayane compliment, too. i don't get those often.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan: Fixed!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By musubi

DLC Costume pack incoming Oct 2nd..... a preview image leaked.

No Caption Provided
    vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#95  Edited By vorsic

I was kind of hoping for all new costumes but I'll still buy these. Hope is reasonably priced.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos: Thanks. Any idea hpw much that pack is because I want that DOA1 Tina and DOA2 Helena.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By FLStyle
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@TobbRobb said:

@Hailinel said:

@AjayRaz said:

That's great, the stages are probably my favourite part of the Doa series. I think i'll pick this game up tonight.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By musubi

So the thing I'm taking away from this stream is that Ayane is fucking way way over powered so far. Apparently she is getting nerfed though.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By donchipotle

Oh hey I love DoA. I am not good at it but I love it. I would love playing with people. GT: HopeOnFire04

Team Hitomi

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.