DOA 5 Community/Help/Discussion thread.

#101 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

So the thing I'm taking away from this stream is that Ayane is fucking way way over powered so far. Apparently she is getting nerfed though.

It does not sound that bad. Just that here 66kk4 is crazy good.

#102 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Well, when you got people playing Ayane who don't even play her because of that one string I'd say its a problem. Not anything mind you that can't be beaten that Jann Lee beat the one Ayane player tonight but still...

#103 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Well, when you got people playing Ayane who don't even play her because of that one string I'd say its a problem. Not anything mind you that can't be beaten that Jann Lee beat the one Ayane player tonight but still...

Yeah it is a really good tool but I am not fond of the "it's powerful nerf it mentality". Especially since the game is only four days old, at least wait to see if players can adapt to it before declaring it op. The metagame is not yet established and people are not playing the game optimally yet.

#104 Posted by smokeyd123 (324 posts) -

@Demoskinos: There was a stream? where?

#105 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

Yeah it is a really good tool but I am not fond of the "it's powerful nerf it mentality". Especially since the game is only four days old, at least wait to see if players can adapt to it before declaring it op. The metagame is not yet established and people are not playing the game optimally yet.

word

#106 Posted by mrfluke (5092 posts) -

anyone else find it hard to nail the timing of the counters due to the horrible 360 dpad? i think im gonna give the fightstick a try on this game.

#107 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@mrfluke

anyone else find it hard to nail the timing of the counters due to the horrible 360 dpad? i think im gonna give the fightstick a try on this game.

i use the analog stick for low and high counters. I probably shouldn't have to but that's the best way for me to play
#108 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@mrfluke

i use the analog stick for low and high counters. I probably shouldn't have to but that's the best way for me to play

I use the D-pad. I've got one of the transforming D-pads though. Diagonals are still a tad bit of an issue for me but I've been trying to train myself to block more than I try to counter anyways. I'm still eyeballing the DOA fight stick. I'll have to see how my money pans out. If my hours go back up at work I think I might grab one.

#109 Edited by BoOzak (881 posts) -

So I just beat arcade mode on True Fighter (after fighting Tina in her weird swimsuit thing...) and the game locked up. Not just that, but the menus sometimes seem to stick and be unresponsive. Anyone else getting this? Or do I have a cursed copy of the game ;(

EDIT: Oh and the game keeps reverting me back to english, WTF!

#110 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
@BoOzak Haven't had any lock ups so far but the game reverting to English VO's is a known glitch ATM.
#111 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@BoOzak Haven't had any lock ups so far but the game reverting to English VO's is a known glitch ATM.

There are a few known glitches so far. The one that annoys me is that some online matches my sidestep preference is switched back to up,up and down, down. Throws me off my game.

#112 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan Im sure there might be some valid reason why you would want to change that I just see to fail to see why
#113 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan Im sure there might be some valid reason why you would want to change that I just see to fail to see why

I'm a little confused. Are you implying one of the Side step layouts is clearly better? If so i'm unsure which on is your preference.

#114 Posted by BoOzak (881 posts) -

Anyone fought/played as Alpha 152 yet? I've had a couple matches with her, she seems a bit overpowered to me but maby that's because i'm not used to playing against her online. (didnt play Dimensions) Also I keep getting signed out randomly, not my profile just the online for some reason. Anyone else had that problem or is something up with my net?

#115 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan Well, kinda. I mean personally I think The double tap up/down makes more sense. Not trying to say you're wrong for liking the other method but the double tap just seems like the way to go IMO.
#116 Posted by smokeyd123 (324 posts) -

@BoOzak: Haven't had the problem with signing out, but Alpha seems pretty balanced for the most part. Definitely not the death she was in 4.

#117 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
@smokeyd123

@BoOzak: Haven't had the problem with signing out, but Alpha seems pretty balanced for the most part. Definitely not the death she was in 4.

Indeed she has horrible recovery on many of her moves. I've unlocked her and played her online and nearly lost. You can spam stuff like her 6K over and over but once your opponent realizes its a mid kick she can be really easily countered.
#118 Posted by BoOzak (881 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@smokeyd123

Indeed she has horrible recovery on many of her moves. I've unlocked her and played her online and nearly lost. You can spam stuff like her 6K over and over but once your opponent realizes its a mid kick she can be really easily countered.

Ah, okay good to know. I'm also having trouble finding games in ranked, I know lobby's the way to go but I dont like being F+ ;( I'm starting to think that might be my net too, which is weird considering i've never had this problem before. (30mb dl / 2mb ul)

#119 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@BoOzak: I had to search a few times before I found a ranked match. If you keep searching it eventually will find one.

#120 Edited by InformationHigh (21 posts) -

It helps if you make sure you don't refine your search to only a similar rank and move that baby all the way up to S+.

Also if anyone wants to play on Xbox my gamertag is: InformationHigh

#121 Posted by Ravelle (1189 posts) -

I played some lobby matches with a friend and some dude that joined my lobby and it works pretty good, only had a lag hiccup once or twice. Had a really great time just goofing around and chatting though the built in system which worked great as well.

#122 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@InformationHigh: I figured as much. I'd rather not get stomped worse than I already do. XD

#123 Posted by kyokushin_nanaya (40 posts) -

Man, it's a pretty fun game, but I have a couple of issues with it. Has anyone found that the training mode for certain characters doesn't actually include the full move list? I've decided to play using Kokoro since I dig her style and am no way competent to use Akira. So as I do the command training and go through her move set, I find that there's no inclusion of her Punch-Throw combination. I only found out that if you turn the command list display on in the options (which I have to say is really nice when you're trying to pick some BnB combos).

For example, Kokoro has the ability to add a throw-like moves to her punches. These include her 6P, 4PP, 1P, 3P and if the opponent decides to block and if they're close enough, Kokoro will pull them, staggering them for a fraction of a second so you can start a combo.

I thought I should add this in sense for anyone who wishes to use her as well. Probably the first character I'll unlock the costumes for.

#124 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@kyokushin_nanaya said:

Man, it's a pretty fun game, but I have a couple of issues with it. Has anyone found that the training mode for certain characters doesn't actually include the full move list? I've decided to play using Kokoro since I dig her style and am no way competent to use Akira. So as I do the command training and go through her move set, I find that there's no inclusion of her Punch-Throw combination. I only found out that if you turn the command list display on in the options (which I have to say is really nice when you're trying to pick some BnB combos).

For example, Kokoro has the ability to add a throw-like moves to her punches. These include her 6P, 4PP, 1P, 3P and if the opponent decides to block and if they're close enough, Kokoro will pull them, staggering them for a fraction of a second so you can start a combo.

I thought I should add this in sense for anyone who wishes to use her as well. Probably the first character I'll unlock the costumes for.

It is wierd that same moves are missing from the command training. All ground and air throws seem to be missing.

#125 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

After seeing the quick look and reading all of

#126 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@kyokushin_nanaya said:

it's also lame how it tells you to go moves with your back turned, yet it doesn't tell you how to turn your back to an opponent. as far as i know, Rig doesn't have an input to go into a back-turned stance so i just gave up on doing his command training.

@NegativeCero: cool beans. i hope you enjoyed em! i'd recommend that you just go ahead and nab DOA5, since it's a pretty big improvement over DOA4 but i guess it's nice that you're starting at all. beware of that single player, now.

#127 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@kyokushin_nanaya said:

it's also lame how it tells you to go moves with your back turned, yet it doesn't tell you how to turn your back to an opponent. as far as i know, Rig doesn't have an input to go into a back-turned stance so i just gave up on doing his command training.

@NegativeCero: cool beans. i hope you enjoyed em! i'd recommend that you just go ahead and nab DOA5, since it's a pretty big improvement over DOA4 but i guess it's nice that you're starting at all. beware of that single player, now.

I had to experiment a bit to get Kokoro to turn her back, but once I found a command that put her in that stance, it wasn't too hard. But yeah, the problem with the command training is that it doesn't default you to the facing you should be in for the move.

#128 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@Hailinel: just putting you in that stance automatically wouldn't really teach you anything. it would be a lot more helpful if it showed you the move that turns your character's back right before the move that requires it, since it is training and all.

actually, now that i think about it, i think some moves indicate that doing it puts the character in a different stance after the move is done. i know that applies for characters who have a heavy back-turned game (like Ayane) but not so sure for some characters who just have one or two moves with the back turned (like i assume Rig does)

#129 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@Hailinel: just putting you in that stance automatically wouldn't really teach you anything. it would be a lot more helpful if it showed you the move that turns your character's back right before the move that requires it, since it is training and all.

That's true. I hadn't thought about that.

#130 Edited by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I think I'm starting to un-ironically starting to like this song from the soundtrack. I've listened to the soundtrack in my car for the last few days.

#131 Posted by LiquidPrince (15843 posts) -

@AjayRaz: It's technically "trois cent soixante."

Anyways, I find it difficult to know which height I should be holding for counters. High vs Med vs Low aren't easily distinguishable for me at this point.

#132 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

Finally went on the PlayStation Store to redeem my preorder code and realized I hadn't redeemed my online pass yet.

So how the hell had I been able to play online before I redeemed it? O_o

#133 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Finally went on the PlayStation Store to redeem my preorder code and realized I hadn't redeemed my online pass yet.

They most likely have a trial for so many days.

#134 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

They most likely have a trial for so many days.

I thought that might be the case, but it's funny that they don't mention anything about it.

#135 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: shh i think it sounds cooler without the cent

anyway, this is a problem that i have too. if you don't know about it yet, you can set it so it shows the properties of a move from an opponent, or from yourself under "fight screen info" called move details. you can have it on during an online match ans it tells you if a move if high, med or low so if you're having trouble against a particular player or character, you can see how to counter it. i think most moves are more clear this time around at showing you what it is (high strikes usually go for the face, but i'm still learning too).

while not ideal, how i learned about a lot of characters and their moves was just mashing the counter button over and over until i finally figured out how to counter the move. i wouldn't recommend that since there are easier methods like the one i said above, but it's always an option i guess.

#136 Edited by Ravelle (1189 posts) -

@Hailinel: Yeah, I believe it's a couple of days of free interwebsing than then you get the message for the online pass.

Also Brad Wong on normal is slaughtering me, one combo of his and my health bar is halved already, his attacks are so frustrating with him laying on the floor and his low and high kicks, every time I try to defend against them he switched with Jedi speed to a grab and finishes me. ;(

#137 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

@Ravelle: So it isn't just me! I just plain can't handle Brad. He's too damn unpredictable. I can't play him for the life of me either...

Also, I can usually pull if off, but high and low holds are really inconsistent with the shitty 360 D-Pad. I really should get one of the transforming ones. :/ This doesn't feel like a stick game to me.

#138 Posted by MikeFightNight (1075 posts) -

Hey, add me to the list PSN ID: MikeFightNight.

I got it some days ago and have been messing with story, training and arcade. It's a blast to play locally with friends of the same skill level, as that applies to any fighting game. I'll add some of the PS3 tags I see here and see how much I can learn and get bodied at the same time xD.

#139 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I think I'm starting to un-ironically starting to like this song from the soundtrack. I've listened to the soundtrack in my car for the last few days.

The more I hear this song more I dislike it. Who's idea was it for this to be the only song that plays while searching for a match?

#140 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

The more I hear this song more I dislike it. Who's idea was it for this to be the only song that plays while searching for a match?

totally. it was a terrible idea. it's indestructible all over again.

#141 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

That song was the only part of SFIV that I liked. Fucking amazing song. Haha

#142 Posted by InformationHigh (21 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

It would have been fine if it was just that sweet smooth mellow beat. Those lyrics though... They clearly should have brought in the lyrical mastery of Snoop Dogg.

#143 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@InformationHigh said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

It would have been fine if it was just that sweet smooth mellow beat. Those lyrics though... They clearly should have brought in the lyrical mastery of Snoop Dogg.

You mean Snoop Lion.

#144 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

That song was the only part of SFIV that I liked. Fucking amazing song. Haha

Indestructible is awesome. Capcom was smart enough to have it only play during the intro video. Team Ninja should have done the same thing. it is now just intrusive.

#145 Edited by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: what? it was playing in the menus too

i kinda like indestructible, and showdown is okay too but they get annoying to listen to since they're the only song in their respective menus

#146 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

i kinda like indestructible, and showdown is okay too but they get annoying to listen to since they're the only song in their respective menus

I don't remember that. Was it the lyrical version?

#147 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@AjayRaz said:

yep! i put in a ton of time into SFIV and indestructible playing in the menus constantly is something that i immediately remember when thinking about it. at some point i knew the first verse by heart

#148 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@AjayRaz said:

yep! i put in a ton of time into SFIV and indestructible playing in the menus constantly is something that i immediately remember when thinking about it. at some point i knew the first verse by heart

I see. Well I have a positive memory of that song. That song had a certain charm to it. Showdown is just boring and passionless. The beat just bores me and no offense to Chosen1 but he is not a good rapper. Not even ironically so.

#149 Edited by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: once again, it wasn't really the quality of the song but just the fact that it was the only song in the menu. indestructible has a charm to it, yea and showdown isn't too great but they're both just annoying to listen to over and over and over and over while browsing a menu or something. at least they both make me do what i want to do quickly so i don't hafta listen to em. i would have preferred the actual DOA Showdown. though i guess that just hearing any song over and over will annoy me.

on a side note, it must be so weird for Chosen1 to play DOA5 online and hear himself rapping

#150 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: once again, it wasn't really the quality of the song but just the fact that it was the only song in the menu. indestructible has a charm to it, yea and showdown isn't too great but they're both just annoying to listen to over and over and over and over while browsing a menu or something. at least they both make me do what i want to do quickly so i don't hafta listen to em. i would have preferred the actual DOA Showdown. though i guess that just hearing any song over and over will annoy me.

on a side note, it must be so weird for Chosen1 to play DOA5 online and hear himself rapping

I understand. It is just that for whatever reason That completely skipped my memory of SF4 and i'm trying to suss out why. I bet it is weird for him, hearing your own voice in general is, I figure rapping would only heighten that.

On a different topic altogether i'm trying to learn Bass. It's going ok but an uphill battle with the amount of Kasumi and Ayane online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.