DOA 5 Community/Help/Discussion thread.

#151 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: that's cool. the rarity of bass is pretty disappointing online, although i've never really bothered to make myself familiar with his playstyle so i don't even know if he's difficult to play as or not. all i know is that on the rare occurrence that i fight a bass, i have no idea what to do.

hopefully you go far with him. it'll be nice to finally play against a Bass player on occasion

#152 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: that's cool. the rarity of bass is pretty disappointing online, although i've never really bothered to make myself familiar with his playstyle so i don't even know if he's difficult to play as or not. all i know is that on the rare occurrence that i fight a bass, i have no idea what to do.

hopefully you go far with him. it'll be nice to finally play against a Bass player on occasion

Bass is all about of course grapples but mostly pressing enemies on their wake up game. The downed grab where he pulls you up sets him up comfy and instantly gives him the advantage. If you aren't tech rolling against a good bass player you gonna get fucked.

#153 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@AjayRaz said:

Bass is all about of course grapples but mostly pressing enemies on their wake up game. The downed grab where he pulls you up sets him up comfy and instantly gives him the advantage. If you aren't tech rolling against a good bass player you gonna get fucked.

I know that. I tend to give people respect and only pick up when I know it is guaranteed. That may be a reason i'm not doing so hot online is general. Bass has trouble with quick rushdown characters because they get up in his face and are hard to fend off. Bass is too slow and a single punch will beat out any attack Bass has.

#154 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: His 4PPP is his fastest attack string I can think of. It can actually beat out quite a few attacks but its very linear too so if people get a good read on it they might just outright counter it.

#155 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: His 4PPP is his fastest attack string I can think of. It can actually beat out quite a few attacks but its very linear too so if people get a good read on it they might just outright counter it.

4PPP is not bad but like you said it is very linear and has no variation. His fastest attack is P at 12 frames. Christie, Kasumi, Jann lee and probably others can beat that out with their P.

#156 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

4PPP is not bad but like you said it is very linear and has no variation. His fastest attack is P at 12 frames. Christie, Kasumi, Jann lee and probably others can beat that out with their P.

Have you tried sidestepping? I'm thinking that might be his best option.

#157 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

Have you tried sidestepping? I'm thinking that might be his best option.

I bet it is. I'm working on improving my sidesteps. It is a useful tool for people who just pressure non stop.

#158 Posted by Ravelle (1173 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: I liked indestructible because it had a happy beat to it and isn't straight up gangster rappin' in my japanese fighting games.

#159 Posted by JudahJones (48 posts) -

Longtime lurker. I too would like to get some people to practice against. Please add me to the GT exchange list and don't worry, i'm terrible at the game but would like to learn to get better!

Xbox 360, Gamertag: Judah Jones

#160 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

So I'll be honest... I'm not finding much motivation to play online. After the absolutely flawless netcode in TTT2 its pretty disheartening to be running into so many matches online with noticible lag. It really makes me not want to play online and with me binging and seemingly exhausting all the offline stuff I haven't even played in two days now. Still adore the game but unless they fix the lag I might just call it good.

#161 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

So I'll be honest... I'm not finding much motivation to play online. After the absolutely flawless netcode in TTT2 its pretty disheartening to be running into so many matches online with noticible lag. It really makes me not want to play online and with me binging and seemingly exhausting all the offline stuff I haven't even played in two days now. Still adore the game but unless they fix the lag I might just call it good.

Shimbori said they were looking into the online. Weather or not they can improve it is yet to be seen.

#162 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

Shimbori said they were looking into the online. Weather or not they can improve it is yet to be seen.

I like playing the game but man when I'm trying to do things that I know I can do offline and it doesn't its just infinitely frustrating to lose because of lag. Its the reason I just normally ignore the fuck out of fighters online. I can deal with losing If I know the other guy was just better i can't deal with lag in fighting games. And I mean... you can still get decent matches but playing rock paper scissors every time you search for a match sucks. And its not like my internet is lacking either. I usually run 25 Mb/s down 3.5 Mb/s Up which should be more than enough for most online games.

#163 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

I like playing the game but man when I'm trying to do things that I know I can do offline and it doesn't its just infinitely frustrating to lose because of lag. Its the reason I just normally ignore the fuck out of fighters online. I can deal with losing If I know the other guy was just better i can't deal with lag in fighting games. And I mean... you can still get decent matches but playing rock paper scissors every time you search for a match sucks. And its not like my internet is lacking either. I usually run 25 Mb/s down 3.5 Mb/s Up which should be more than enough for most online games.

I hear ya. The online is not perfect and I do mess things up. For instance 66k which should be a guaranteed after Dragon Gunner get blocked sometimes online. Which is annoying.

#164 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

I hear ya. The online is not perfect and I do mess things up. For instance 66k which should be a guaranteed after Dragon Gunner get blocked sometimes online. Which is annoying.

Its really one of the reasons I gave Tekken Tag 2 such high praise. I fought in a ton of matches and got my ass frequently pounded into the ground. Yet I walked away from every match feeling good about it because I felt like I actually learned something each time. I don't know what hocus pocus Namco has but well over 100 matches played an zero lag or at least felt like zero lag on every match. The bar has been raised. Tecmo needs to step up.

#165 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

Its really one of the reasons I gave Tekken Tag 2 such high praise. I fought in a ton of matches and got my ass frequently pounded into the ground. Yet I walked away from every match feeling good about it because I felt like I actually learned something each time. I don't know what hocus pocus Namco has but well over 100 matches played an zero lag or at least felt like zero lag on every match. The bar has been raised. Tecmo needs to step up.

I don't consider myself a Tekken fan but when I got the chance to play Tag 2 yesterday I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. If I had the money to spare I would probably pick it up. I hear that Tag 2, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown and Persona 4: Arena all have excellent net code. It is unfortunate DOA5 does not.

#166 Posted by smokeyd123 (322 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: The netcode on P4 Arena is fantastic, it's very disappointing to move to DOA and not be able to pull off stuff like I could in P4.

#167 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

Yay. Pretty happy. Just managed to Unlock Tina's Bikini outfit for beating Legend Arcade with no continues. Used Lei-Fang. Spammed the shit out of 1P+K. Now to see if I can't get Christie's! =D

#168 Posted by smokeyd123 (322 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Yeah I unlocked Tina's and Christie's TA being harder than arcade. Survival is just a BITCH.

#169 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@smokeyd123: Some guy on GameFaq's claims he got it abusing Alpha 152's 4K6K but... I dunno

#170 Posted by smokeyd123 (322 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Alpha's 4K6K is pretty busted, but i dunno. I tried it with Leifang, but it just became about endurance and I can't last.

#171 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

Okay, actually got some really good games in tonight with some friends. Suprisingly enough connection held up pretty good tonight. Also think I learned that I really like playing as Sarah.

#172 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

Oh, also... FREE DLC costume pack drops tomorrow.

#173 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

Just bought the game.

XBLA username: Cosmic Batman.

Be gentle.

#174 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I know. I can't wait for it.

#175 Edited by Scullinator (512 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Dead-or-Alive-5-First-Time-Pack/a4cd07f3-fd47-46c9-b5da-d98613096376?cid=RSS

Thanks for the heads up. Que up to download when I get home. Very impressed that this is free. You know they could have charged and I for one would have paid for it. Im such a sucker when it comes to buying additional costumes in fighting games.

oh and ...

XBL: Scullinator . Im a long time DOA player but I seam to suck at this game. Having a hard time getting through Arcade on Normal. Looking for players of similar skill level to play with.

#176 Posted by mrfluke (5051 posts) -

think im gonna duck out of online till they release a patch, kasumi is such a speed focused character, that just a hint of lag throws me off and gives the opponents i fight a upper hand

#177 Posted by Vanek (381 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

think im gonna duck out of online till they release a patch, kasumi is such a speed focused character, that just a hint of lag throws me off and gives the opponents i fight a upper hand

I've yet to try the online mode, but I was thinking the same. Enough people have said the online has issues that I've been hoping that by the time I get round to playing through the story mode a patch will be out.

I also just noticed the DLC was out and that it was free. I'll happily take free costumes because some of the base game costumes aren't so great. Does anyone know if there is a schedule for more DLC or anything like that?

#178 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

Hey you got alpha and thus a ton of titles. Any idea if I can grind them out in versus with another controller idle?

#179 Posted by mrfluke (5051 posts) -

@Vanek: dlc, no idea, but they did say they are hard at work on a patch

#180 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Yeah that is pretty much how I got all of my "Link Critical Burst to Power Blow" and Cliffhanger related ones.

#181 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Yeah that is pretty much how I got all of my "Link Critical Burst to Power Blow" and Cliffhanger related ones.

Ok, great. I have about 200 now and was about to do that for all characters.

#182 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

I don't understand how cliffhanger work it turns out. Player 2 keeps dodging it completely.

#183 Posted by JReyes (9 posts) -

If you guys want to learn more about DOA make sure to check out www.freestepdodge.com!

#184 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I don't understand how cliffhanger work it turns out. Player 2 keeps dodging it completely.

When you are the one who gets knocked into the cliffhanger you have to press a button to grab the ledge. You can just fall and take the damage but if you cliffhanger you can then attempt to counter your opponents cliffhanger. Depending on the outcome you can neuturalize the attempt or in some cases actually do damage to your attacker. So yeah... basically press the "A" button on the second controller.

#185 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

When you are the one who gets knocked into the cliffhanger you have to press a button to grab the ledge. You can just fall and take the damage but if you cliffhanger you can then attempt to counter your opponents cliffhanger. Depending on the outcome you can neuturalize the attempt or in some cases actually do damage to your attacker. So yeah... basically press the "A" button on the second controller.

I knew that much but the specific are where I am not certain. I though that it was a guess game where the defender had to press the same button at the attacker. Clearly I was mistaken because even when I would press different buttons on the controllers P2 would still defend. I thought that Y and B were for strikes and A for grapple but that does not seems true either. For instance with Eliot I got his throw but press y I think.

I just have no idea how this mechanic works. The game lacks any sort of proper tutorial and the only training you get is glanced over in story mode.

#186 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

I'm really liking Tina's throwback outfit! It would be even more wild if they changed her hair to brown when you picked it to really make her look like her DOA 1 self.

#187 Posted by Ravelle (1173 posts) -

I just completed Aracade with Ayane on CHAMP, some characters were tougher than the other. Hayabusa keeps using the throw me in the air and nuke me down move and keeps grabbing me out of the hair and teleporting all over the place, Bayman is a beast in holds and has killer combo holds but is slow and was not all that tough, Brad wong while expecting to be a freaking nightmare was actually quite easy.

#188 Posted by Scullinator (512 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Yay. Pretty happy. Just managed to Unlock Tina's Bikini outfit for beating Legend Arcade with no continues. Used Lei-Fang. Spammed the shit out of 1P+K. Now to see if I can't get Christie's! =D

Could you please explain exactly what you mean by "spamed 1P+K" ? Im thinking you are referring to a move using the punch and kick buttons at the same time.

Thanks, ill take my answer off air.

#189 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@Scullinator: Its fighting game notation If you look at your number pad imagine the stick coming out of the 5 key that is neutral 6 is forward 4 is backward etc... its much easier to notate combos and move strings using the numbers like that. So 1P+K is Down Back + Punch+Kick.

#190 Edited by Scullinator (512 posts) -

@Demoskinos: so I should try spamming that move to get past tough computer opponents? Sweet, Ill try that. Am I the only one having trouble with arcade on anything above easy. I remember being so much better at this game when I played DOA 3 and 4. I guess it will come back to me with more practice.

#191 Edited by Ravelle (1173 posts) -

Okay, Sarah on True Fighter is insane, constant critical stuns and 10 hit combos, wall stuns are starting to piss me off too.

I've also seen the AI do Power Blows from a combo, does anyone know how to pull this off?

#192 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@Ravelle said:

Okay, Sarah on True Fighter is insane, constant critical stuns and 10 hit combos, wall stuns are starting to piss me off too.

I've also seen the AI do Power Blows from a combo, does anyone know how to pull this off?

You can use a Power Blow after a critical burst.

#193 Posted by Scullinator (512 posts) -

Is there any reason or benefit to play through the story mode a second time? Say I didn't finish all the Bonus Missions (the move tutorials), will I still unlock that title if I perform that move during an arcade fight?

#194 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

@Scullinator said:

Is there any reason or benefit to play through the story mode a second time? Say I didn't finish all the Bonus Missions (the move tutorials), will I still unlock that title if I perform that move during an arcade fight?

if you want to grab the bonus missions that you missed, you should go back and play em because as far as i know, you can't unlock that title during a fight where that isn't set as the bonus mission. i've done countless 10 hit combos and i went back to get the 7 hit combo bonus mission with hitomi that i never unlocked yesterday.

#195 Posted by Ravelle (1173 posts) -

@ ImmoratalSayan I should try that when I get the chance.

I just completed Arcade mode on True Fighter, man Bass as the last character was crazy hard, he can just grab you out of any move and follows it up with one of his combo throws, including the jump in to space and power bomb you down. Lost count of how many retries I used but man was I glad I finally destroyed his ass.

#196 Posted by Demoskinos (14524 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Ravelle said:

You can use a Power Blow after a critical burst.

Yup. That is the entire point of critical bursts to give you a "safe" way to set up power blows and other combos.

#197 Edited by Ravelle (1173 posts) -

Man, I hate " difficulty" just means more cheap these days, they don't get harder they just use cheaper tactics. I'm on Master now and all the AI does is spam critical stun and follow it up with a 10 move combo.

Mila is destroying me on Master, keeps taking me down and ground and pound me, and then dives back to the ground to knee me in the ribs and break me ribs.

#198 Posted by mrfluke (5051 posts) -

so, can we extrapolate that the game sold well to at least their expectations, due to them saying that this dlc is free as a way of thanking people for buying doa?

#199 Posted by mrfluke (5051 posts) -

nice, its one of gamestop's best sellers. so i guess its doing fine.

#200 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

nice, its one of gamestop's best sellers. so i guess its doing fine.

That is great to hear. After Ninja Gaiden 3's reception Team Ninja must be relieved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.