I would like to play DOA5, but I need to know something first...

#1 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

First off, I'm a huge fighting game fan (even if I'm not any good at them) and while my preference is for arcade-style games, I had a lot of fun with Soul Calibur 2 on PS2, Xbox and GC (I had a fierce rivalry with my friend which eventually came to a head with a four hour, ring-out only, mega-match to determine the best player. It was hell-of fun.) and I adore DOA:D on my 3DS.

My problem lies with how technical the game is; DOA4's difficulty is way too intense for me to learn any of the basics to a degree I can feel confident using them, but the 3DS game has a nice curve, is a little bit easier to start and I've ended up being a fairly competent, and more importantly confident, Kasumi/Ayane player although I have most of the costumes available to everyone.

What I'm asking then is; did they take lessons from the 3DS game with regards to how approachable the game is or does it still demand a high bar of technical proficiency right from the off.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -

@Evercaptor: The systems haven't really changed that much since DOA 4 in fact they've added a few things BUT as long as you play with people in your own skill range you should be fine. DOA is a pretty accessible fighter all around. There is also 7 CPU difficulties ranging from Rookie to Legend as well.

#3 Posted by ToTheNines (655 posts) -

The dead or alive franchise is technical?

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Dead or Alive was never a technical game. All the command are simple to input and the systems are easy to learn. They did add some elements to it but nothing too major.

#5 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

bewbs

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan Well judging by my with it yesterday linking critical bursts to power blows is actually a tad hard. Its also a more advanced skill too.
#7 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -
@Demoskinos Thanks! Time to watch the quick look and save up some money! DOA4 didn't have a difficulty lower than Normal
#8 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

@NinesSC2: It's the distinction I make. DOA has pre-defined combos you have to learn, which to me makes it technical, compared to Street Fighter where you have 6 buttons and you learn what moves have a hitstun longer than a cooldown.

#9 Posted by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

@Evercaptor said:

DOA4 didn't have a difficulty lower than Normal

That sounds like just the kind of asinine thing Itagaki would do.

#10 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

@Hunter5024: Yup! as one of the fist five games I owned, I could have been a huge DOA fan except for that.

#11 Posted by Carryboy (632 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan Well judging by my with it yesterday linking critical bursts to power blows is actually a tad hard. Its also a more advanced skill too.

How many frames is the link?

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -
@Carryboy Not sure on actual frame data but you basically have to charge the power blow and release it the instant its charged.
#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I never actually tried that. I'll do it next time I get on.

#14 Posted by Damodar (1302 posts) -

You're intimidated by DOA5 but you love BlazBlue? I find that odd!

#15 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

@Damodar: Not intimidated, as such, I just wanted to make sure there is a tier for someone unused to how DOA handles fighting because it wasn't there in DOA4. If there wasn't a mode easier than "normal" (which has felt brutal every time I've tried to play DOA4) I'd have lost interest and played some dimensions instead.

Blazblue is pretty easy to learn when you can pull off QCs and Zs.

#16 Posted by Damodar (1302 posts) -

Oh, so it's more about the AI difficulty than the complexity of the systems involved etc? I'm sure there are other players here at the same skill level that you could play online with etc. Play against others and git yo mindgames on!

#17 Posted by Ravelle (1189 posts) -

I'm an average skill player that just plays it for fun, I'm having trouble on Arcade Easy with some characters.

#18 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

@Carryboy said:

@Demoskinos said:

It sounds silly to me to consider frame data in a game with 60FPS and 3D models. That's just me though; I'm sure it's perfectly legitimate.

#19 Posted by Carryboy (632 posts) -

@Evercaptor said:

@Carryboy said:

@Demoskinos said:

It sounds silly to me to consider frame data in a game with 60FPS and 3D models. That's just me though; I'm sure it's perfectly legitimate.

Personally i think frame data is more important in a 3d fighter then a 2d one.

#20 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

@Carryboy said:

@Evercaptor said:

@Carryboy said:

@Demoskinos said:

Personally i think frame data is more important in a 3d fighter then a 2d one.

I don't understand how it works :\ and I can't perceive individual frames. I do however know that I can sweep your leg, jump at you, hit you from behind and sweep you again pretty easily.

#21 Posted by Ravelle (1189 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Do you know when the power blow can be used?

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -

@Ravelle: Anytime you are under 50% health. Your health bar will be glowing red. Also, you can only do ONE power blow per match.

#23 Posted by Slay3r1583 (601 posts) -

@rebgav: Nope. If you watch the Quick Look you'll see the default boob physics setting is already set to crazy.

#24 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I don't understand people who say DOA is NOT technical....

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14574 posts) -

@Slay3r1583 said:

@rebgav: Nope. If you watch the Quick Look you'll see the default boob physics setting is already set to crazy.

While they don't behave like real breasts they are far removed from the insanity that was DOA 4 and DOAX2.

#26 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Nice discussion, been pondering on the same thing.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Evercaptor said:

DOA4 didn't have a difficulty lower than Normal

That sounds like just the kind of asinine thing Itagaki would do.

People can praise Itagaki all they want, but his notions of balance, challenge and accommodating newcomers are fucked.

#28 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I feel the difficulty curve in the story mode is well done actually, even though its ludicrously easy for the first 3/4

#29 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

@Slay3r1583 said:

it never was, it was a setting for your profile.

#30 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

DOA4's boss was just a lesson in frustration for me. So if the single player difficulty is manageable, I'll most likely pick this up when it's cheaper. I can't wait to see that story mode craziness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.