Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

The third title in the Dead or Alive Xtreme series, which was only released in Japan and Asian territories.

Your favorite girl probably didn't make the cut.

• 58 results
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BabyChooChoo

As much as I like DOA and Team Ninja, this is probably their shittiest idea yet: For whatever reason, only 9 characters will be available in-game...and they're holding a popularity contest to decide who makes it.

The catch is 1. it's only available to Japanese PSN members and 2. you vote by buying a theme of your favorite girl. More details and whatnot here.

At the time of me writing this, someone supposedly tallied up the numbers and so far the standings seem to be:

• Marie Rose: 81
    • Honoka: 71
    • Kasumi: 56
    • Nyotengu: 50
    • Ayane: 45
    • Kokoro: 44
    • Momiji: 35
    • Helena: 32
    • Hitomi: 31
    • Leifang: 29
    • Tina: 21
    • Mila: 21
    • Lisa: 12
    • Christie: 10
    • Rachel: 5

sigh

Marie Rose is kind of a shitty character, but whatever. I'll her slide. I really like Nyotengu, but I wouldn't miss her if she didn't make it. Fucking Honoka though? Really?! God-fucking-dammit Japan. I mean, I know she's like the ultimate otaku waifu-bait (she's a pop idol/school girl. I'm not lying.), but she is by far TN's laziest character ever. I wouldn't care if every girl made it into the game, but it sucks that one of the 9 limited slots is being wasted on her while characters, like Leifang and Tina, who have literally been in every entry in the series probably won't make it into the final release.

Whatever though, seeing as how Leifang (my main) might possibly not make it now, my hype meter is has officially gone down to "couldn't give less of a fuck." If she gets in, I'll start caring again, but right now I'm just all sorta of blown.

Anywho, how about you? Do you think your favorite female fighter is gonna make it?

edit:The results are in!

There is no God.

The winners:

1. Marie Rose
    2. Honoka
    3. Kasumi
    4. Ayane
    5. Kokoro
    6. Nyotengu
    7. Hitomi
    8. Momiji
    9. Helena

Fuck everything.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

NO TINA NO BUY.

Actually I probably wont get it anyways, but no Tina? Come on man she's a staple character. Christie too for that matter, it seems crazy to me that she is so low on the list.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

No Spartan from DOA 4, no buy.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think we can be relatively certain that "only 9 characters" means everyone else is DLC and that that this will probably be one of the heaviest DLC games to ever exist.

I feel strongly that the new anti-sexuality climate in the games media is why this game won't get released here.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I predict they're going to take money from eager otaku and then less than a year the girls who didn't make the cut will suddenly appear in future expansions, which you'll pay even more money to acquire.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Rachel is my main in Dead or Alive 5. Marie is my second favorite. So at least one of my favorites will get in.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hippie_genocide

I'm sure everyone will be available in a variety of sexy beach wear for the low, low price of your dignity.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus: Totally. In theory, fewer girls means more money spent customizing each one.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm judging you for your choices Japan.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really surprised Hitomi(my favorite) is making the cut so far. I didn't realize she's more popular than Tina, Lisa, and Christie over there. I think I would be kinda ok with that list but the characters I use most are in the bottom half.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

i thought " ah that wont be so bad because people like tina are a lock" but no , everyone who i thought would be in there is at the bottom and marie rose is at the top.....

UrbanSanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Momiji since she was in some of the Ninja Gaiden games, so yay! I guess.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What an embarrassing franchise

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, in Japan's defense, I would not pick the American characters either. And let's face it, Rachel is just Tina...except not even as good and Lisa is just Tina's friend. Milla is an MMA fighter from Rumble Roses which was an okay crossover but not needed. The only ones from the bottom 1/3 of the list which woudl be nice to have is Christie.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the giant bomb dot com it's only available in Japan an Asia so who cares?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

According to the giant bomb dot com it's only available in Japan an Asia so who cares?

You ask this on a site that has showcased such games as Gal*Gun and Gal*Gun: Double Peace, and has hours of video footage and podcast discussions about PSO2?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing is region locked for base game code, so anyone can play anything. There are plenty of stores that sell Japanese/Asian games too and the prices are reasonable. It is not 1989 anymore, so there is a certain percentage of people who do care because they play these game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I think we can be relatively certain that "only 9 characters" means everyone else is DLC and that that this will probably be one of the heaviest DLC games to ever exist.

I feel strongly that the new anti-sexuality climate in the games media is why this game won't get released here.

That's a pretty good point and, admittedly, it's not like I wouldn't buy them if given the chance. Still, I'm pretty sour about the whole thing. Is this Street Fighter players felt when III came out back in the day? I don't like this feeling.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chilibean_3

This is Fame Douglas' worst idea yet.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can never understand Japan's love for 16 year old "Waifus". really surprised Honoka and Marie Rose are so popular.

There is actual women that do genuinely love this franchise and the women in the games, but yea, the way how hard the press will come down on them if this gets released, there is no way this game makes it over.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an embarrassing franchise

which kinda sucks because if you look past a lot of the shitty dlc and boobs DOA5 is a great fighting game

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm usually the first guy to defend this franchise cause their games are too good to be put down cause of self image issues and ass&tits but what I cannot defend is how monetized this franchise has become.

Their costume dlc are already shenanigans but now you have to pay to vote for your favorite characters to appear in a coming new installment?!?!!? C'mon man!

As great of a game DOA5 is, it's as lifeless as the inside of a vault.

Just curious, who here also hates the lack of effort towards 5's story mode as well? DOA actually had a decent story/arcade mode. They ruined it in 5. They have the material to make an extremely badass story. I mean, Ryu F'n Hayabusa is in your game!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Leon and Bayman are my favorite DoA girls...

...Tina's cool too.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This game is my only chance to see a modern release of VF. Hope Jeff and Brad (unrelated to GB characters - they be op) make it in.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm judging you for your choices Japan.

Seriously. I looked at this and was like "haha of course the youngest-looking, moe characters are at the top and Lisa is ranked very low."

At least Hitomi is keeping at #9, though I am curious about why Christie is so low on the totem pole. They're in my top 5 favorites to play, along with Jann Lee, Brad Wong, and Mila. Let's get some Brad Wong swimsuit action in here.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Have you seen the DLC for DoA?

This will be a whole new level.

Which is SO. SO. SCARY.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Not only have I seen the DLC for DoA, I own a disturbing amount of it.

I waste too much fucking money...

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No love for Lei Fang makes me sad.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an amazingly shitty of casting a game. But I probably wouldn't hear about this game otherwise so I guess they win.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol: O_o

lack of effort in DOA5s story mode?

I think you're pretty much the only person who feels that way. The story mode was one of the most praised things about the game. Jeff talked about it for weeks on the Bombcast. I mean, it wasn't "good", but it was a quantum leap above other story-modes in games and paved the way for Mortal Kombat.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Japan: where the more the girls start looking like they are 14, the higher in popularity they get.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BananasFoster

@bananasfoster said:

That's a pretty good point and, admittedly, it's not like I wouldn't buy them if given the chance. Still, I'm pretty sour about the whole thing. Is this Street Fighter players felt when III came out back in the day? I don't like this feeling.

Is what how SF3 players felt?

The SF3 debacle doesn't get talked about enough. It's not that SF3 was bad game, or that people didn't like it. SF3 was phenomenal, as most people now know. What was bizarre is that when SF3 came out in the arcades, CAPCOM DIDN'T CALL IT STREET FIGHTER. This is one of the craziest stories in gaming. It's right alongside Sega announcing the Saturn at E3 and then saying it was in stores the same day. When Street Fighter 3 came out, the arcade cabinets just said "THREE" on it in really big letters. Alex was the new main character in the game, instead of Ryu, and most of the cast was new. This meant that many, many people walked right by the cabinet and had no idea it was the new Street Fighter game. This lack of notoriety alongside the death of the arcade alongside the awkward time when there was no home console to handle a port meant that SF3 was an obscure game for a long time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you seen the DLC for DoA?

This will be a whole new level.

Which is SO. SO. SCARY.

Bro. I've spent $400 on Dead or Alive 5. I'm not even joking here.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[Mila] is an MMA fighter from Rumble Roses which was an okay crossover but not needed.

I'm afraid you're mistaken about that. Mila is an original character. You're probably thinking of Reiko Hinomoto. Rumble Roses was a Konami game--a wrasslin' game, not an MMA game--and the only game to feature a Rumble Roses crossover was Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they're handling this makes me salty. Where can we find the up to date voting results?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 said:

[Mila] is an MMA fighter from Rumble Roses which was an okay crossover but not needed.

I'm afraid you're mistaken about that. Mila is an original character. You're probably thinking of Reiko Hinomoto. Rumble Roses was a Konami game--a wrasslin' game, not an MMA game--and the only game to feature a Rumble Roses crossover was Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

Man, they sure look the same...so much so that they are indistinguishable as "characters". But I stand corrected sir.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If Hitomi does not make it I don't care.

Kiryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any particular reason why all the girls won't make it? This isn't a regular DOA game so most of the male characters will be excluded,

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@kiryu: Your guess is as good as mine. Either their budget is extremely tight or they really are just planning to release the rest as dlc. Either way, this whole thing is off to a rocky start if you ask me.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the meme... Your waifu is shit? Or something like that.

Whatever that meme is, it applies here.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Popularity contest? This is the dumbest thing. Is this a way to hide micro transactions? Characters that win will be included and the others can be bought?

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This idea seems about as gross as anything else with DOA. Jiggle options anyone?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I am glad Honoka is popular because she quickly became my favorite. Would not want Marie Rose though, but people love loli so what can I do. I personally think she looks completely out of place with her flat body in a game about bouncy physics.

If that is the list that makes it then I will miss Tina and Lisa.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea who those first two girls are, yet they're the most popular. I'm not one to encourage generalization, but them clearly being the youngest looking is not surprising coming from Japan.

Also, Christie's place in this is a god damn disgrace.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, Honoka is like either #1 or 2 around the world so it's not just Japan. It seems the entire planet has terrible tastes.

I don't actually think you have terrible tastes if like Honoka, to each his own, but goddamn I think she's such a shitty character.

Also, I didn't realize it in my waifu-filled rage before, but isn't Lisa a big part of the first two DOAX games? I know she was introduced in DOAX before she actually showed up in the main series, but wasn't she also like the announcer or Zack's assistant or something?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Mila, no buy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.