Dead Rising 2: Case West To Hit Xbox Live In December

• 60 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's been a long time since we've heard anything meaningful about Dead Rising 2: Case West, the second Dead Rising 2 downloadable spin-off. In fact, September's announcement was the only time we've been able to throw up a post about it. But new details have been released Capcom this week, ending the silence just before the game drops later this December exclusively over Xbox Live.

Here's the important stuff we've learned:

• There was hesitation on our part to confirm co-op for the title back in September, despite the fact that the meat of the game is about a partnership between Frank West and Chuck Greene. We can say now with confidence that co-op is indeed a part of the package, as one player will be able to control Greene, while the other West. If you decide to go at it solo, West's part will be handled by AI (which can't be killed). 

• Case West takes place in the Phenotrans Facility "on the outskirts of Fortune City" after the events Dead Rising 2, as was previously announced.

== TEASER ==
  • New weapon combinations, new "challenges," and enemies will be a part of this package. Capcom isn't talking about any of this yet in great detail, but two of the new weapons have been named: "Zap & Shine" and "Reaper." 

• There will be new survivors to rescue.

• Proving that Phenotrans was involved in the zombie outbreak appears to be the goal of the game and this is where West steps in. With his camera, he'll be able to grab photographic evidence that proves the corporation's involvement.

• Other original Dead Rising characters will have cameos.

Curiously, there's still no word on price for Case West. Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, the other downloadable game, was released over Xbox Live Arcade for five dollars, so there's an expectation that Case West will receive a similar price. If it will or not remains to be seen. Regardless, we're stoked for another Dead Rising 2 joint. Case Zero, if you remember, was pretty good all by its lonesome.  

UPDATE: Capcom just released a bunch of screenshots. Check them out! 

UPDATE 2
: As some of you in the comments are pointing out, it's still unknown if Case West will be a standalone downloadable. Back in September, Capcom's Christian Svensson said whether it will require Dead Rising 2's disc or not is "an issue [Capcom is] speaking with Microsoft about." Either way, Case West will be an Xbox Live downloadable. 

UPDATE 3: After a bit more digging (and asking) I've decided that we should probably just call Case West an "Xbox Live downloadable" for the time being. My apologies if the original branding of XBLA game confused anyone.  

UPDATE 4: (Jesus.) The following statement has been given to Joystiq: "Case West will be a standalone just like Case Zero." So, I guess Case West will be an Xbox Live Arcade title?  
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It's been a long time since we've heard anything meaningful about Dead Rising 2: Case West, the second Dead Rising 2 downloadable spin-off. In fact, September's announcement was the only time we've been able to throw up a post about it. But new details have been released Capcom this week, ending the silence just before the game drops later this December exclusively over Xbox Live.

Here's the important stuff we've learned:

• There was hesitation on our part to confirm co-op for the title back in September, despite the fact that the meat of the game is about a partnership between Frank West and Chuck Greene. We can say now with confidence that co-op is indeed a part of the package, as one player will be able to control Greene, while the other West. If you decide to go at it solo, West's part will be handled by AI (which can't be killed). 

• Case West takes place in the Phenotrans Facility "on the outskirts of Fortune City" after the events Dead Rising 2, as was previously announced.

== TEASER ==
  • New weapon combinations, new "challenges," and enemies will be a part of this package. Capcom isn't talking about any of this yet in great detail, but two of the new weapons have been named: "Zap & Shine" and "Reaper." 

• There will be new survivors to rescue.

• Proving that Phenotrans was involved in the zombie outbreak appears to be the goal of the game and this is where West steps in. With his camera, he'll be able to grab photographic evidence that proves the corporation's involvement.

• Other original Dead Rising characters will have cameos.

Curiously, there's still no word on price for Case West. Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, the other downloadable game, was released over Xbox Live Arcade for five dollars, so there's an expectation that Case West will receive a similar price. If it will or not remains to be seen. Regardless, we're stoked for another Dead Rising 2 joint. Case Zero, if you remember, was pretty good all by its lonesome.  

UPDATE: Capcom just released a bunch of screenshots. Check them out! 

UPDATE 2
: As some of you in the comments are pointing out, it's still unknown if Case West will be a standalone downloadable. Back in September, Capcom's Christian Svensson said whether it will require Dead Rising 2's disc or not is "an issue [Capcom is] speaking with Microsoft about." Either way, Case West will be an Xbox Live downloadable. 

UPDATE 3: After a bit more digging (and asking) I've decided that we should probably just call Case West an "Xbox Live downloadable" for the time being. My apologies if the original branding of XBLA game confused anyone.  

UPDATE 4: (Jesus.) The following statement has been given to Joystiq: "Case West will be a standalone just like Case Zero." So, I guess Case West will be an Xbox Live Arcade title?  
#2 Posted by TRAYNREK (113 posts) -

Boom

#3 Posted by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

mhmm

#4 Posted by Sheetsy77 (198 posts) -

Finally!

#5 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

But new details have been released Capcom this week, ending the silence just before the game drops later this December exclusively over Xbox Live Arcade.

WAT 
#6 Posted by Molitor5901outofdate (12 posts) -

Cool,  Just have to buy the original game now

#7 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Most important info will be if it's standalone or not. I would've expected that to be the case due to being on XBLA and similar to case zero, but news seemed to suggest back then that you would need DR2 to be able to play it. 

As they are saying it will be on XBLA and not as DLC, I hope that means it will be standalone. I loved the little bite of Dead Rising that was Case Zero, but I don't have much interest in a full length game of this type.

#8 Posted by ProfessorEss (7378 posts) -
@jozzy said:
" Most important info will be if it's standalone or not.
Yup, I'd love to hear an official and final word on that tidbit.
#9 Posted by AdmiralStupid (77 posts) -

FAN-TASTIC!

#10 Posted by Beck (30 posts) -

Frank West kind of looks like a young  Dan Aykroyd... or Johnny V!

#11 Posted by Seroth (720 posts) -
#12 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

West is better than Green. 
He's covered wars, you know.

#13 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -
@jozzy said:
" Most important info will be if it's standalone or not. I would've expected that to be the case due to being on XBLA and similar to case zero, but news seemed to suggest back then that you would need DR2 to be able to play it.   As they are saying it will be on XBLA and not as DLC, I hope that means it will be standalone. I loved the little bite of Dead Rising that was Case Zero, but I don't have much interest in a full length game of this type. "
The ideal situation would see it being a separate XBLA game, but one that lets you carry over your XP and such from the full game. That would give it a really nice DLC feeling while still being a whole different game for those who liked Case Zero and just want another bite.
#14 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

SUPER DOPE!

#15 Posted by Colonel_Fury (453 posts) -

Not to pick this apart, but Chuck just bring a camera and take the photos himself? Its not like camera are hard to use.

#16 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

Fucking FINALLY!!!!!!!

#17 Posted by Yummylee (21665 posts) -

Just wish this didn't require the full game to play T.T Or better yet, just have it released on the ps3. 

Frank also looks so weird with his graphical update. I understand then want him to represent the 'every man' turned hero, but jesus that's quite a mug.

#18 Posted by Vlaphor (197 posts) -

My big question is whether or not it'll be a stand alone title or require the 360 version of Dead Rising 2.  I loved Case Zero, but bought Dead Rising 2 on PC ($20 cheaper plus better graphics, shorter load times, and mods), and I do want Case West.  Hopefully I can purchase it by itself.

#19 Posted by Sammo21 (3280 posts) -

360 exclusive means I  "don't give a shit".

#20 Edited by Yummylee (21665 posts) -
#21 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -
#22 Posted by RecSpec (3819 posts) -

Hell yes. Wasn't expecting this til next year.

#23 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -
#24 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Frank transformed into Dan Aykroyd!?!?!?!?!

#25 Posted by Oetker (13 posts) -

Looking forward to this!

Hope it comes to PC.

#26 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @Vlaphor:  @ProfessorEss:  @jozzy:  

Was confirmed a while ago that it'll require the full game to play, unlike Case Zero. There's a thread on the CW forums that confirms it. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/dead-rising-2-case-west/61-32685/case-west-will-require-the-full-game-of-dead-rising-2-to-play/35-453189/ "

So, that means it's possible to release DLC in XBLA? Or is that just a mistake in this news article? I can't remember ever seeing a game on XBLA that wasn't standalone.
I am still hoping they changed their mind since september. After the succes of Case Zero I just don't get it.
#27 Edited by ProfessorEss (7378 posts) -
@Abyssfull: Thanks. Pretty sure I read that thread back when it was new - probably just blacked it out of my memory.

...yeah, I actually even have the last post in there :P
#28 Posted by RecSpec (3819 posts) -
@jozzy said:
" @Abyssfull said:

Was confirmed a while ago that it'll require the full game to play, unlike Case Zero. There's a thread on the CW forums that confirms it. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/dead-rising-2-case-west/61-32685/case-west-will-require-the-full-game-of-dead-rising-2-to-play/35-453189/ "

So, that means it's possible to release DLC in XBLA? Or is that just a mistake in this news article? I can't remember ever seeing a game on XBLA that wasn't standalone. I am still hoping they changed their mind since september. After the succes of Case Zero I just don't get it. "
Case Zero was more or less a pay-to-play demo.
This is DLC for Dead Rising 2.
#29 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" @Seroth said:
"

Other original Dead Rising characters will have cameos.    

"
Shut your mouth. Just, shut your mouth and don't give them ideas. "
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell
#30 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" @Seroth said:
"

"
ahahha
#31 Posted by Yummylee (21665 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" @Seroth said:
"

"
LESS GO, BABY!
#32 Posted by Phished0ne (2508 posts) -

Anyone wanna give me some odds on it coming out for ps3?

#33 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @jozzy said:
" @Abyssfull said:

So, that means it's possible to release DLC in XBLA? Or is that just a mistake in this news article? I can't remember ever seeing a game on XBLA that wasn't standalone. I am still hoping they changed their mind since september. After the succes of Case Zero I just don't get it. "
Case Zero was more or less a pay-to-play demo. This is DLC for Dead Rising 2. "
Ooh please, not the paid demo discussion again...
#34 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -

One thing Dead Rising 2 was sorely missing was a war time photojournalist.  I'm glad to see that is being addressed. 

#35 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

he looks a lot heavier...

#36 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

I like his new look.

#37 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

Man, my pile of shame is huge.

#38 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

What coulda bin a great buddy-cop story, ruined by the most douchebaggy sunglasses ever :/

#39 Posted by Frypot (21 posts) -

I hope its a standalone arcade game I bought both Case Zero and DR2 but i traded DR2 in after completing it with perfect completion and playing through for another half playthrough or so. If not i suppose ill just have to hope that one of my friends still has it so i can borrow it.

#40 Posted by Hector (3365 posts) -

I hope it's stand alone!!

#41 Posted by Rocospi (263 posts) -

Looks like ol' Franky put on a few pounds, eh?

#42 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -

FANTASTIC!

#43 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

PSN or get the fuck out.

#44 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

Frank West use to be a Ghost Buster.

#45 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Seroth said:
"

"
HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHA IS HEAVY "
GAVE AWAY MY POSSESSIONS AND MOVED INTO A CHEVY
#46 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

If this 5 bucks then I'm sold.

#47 Posted by eproo (52 posts) -

Nice 5 buck game

#48 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

New trailer and some news can be found here.

#49 Posted by SoylentGreen (255 posts) -
#50 Posted by Undeadpool (4943 posts) -
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Seroth said:
"

"
HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHA IS HEAVY "
GAVE AWAY MY POSSESSIONS AND MOVED INTO A CHEVY "
VAN! YEAH, THAT'S THE MASTER PLAN!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.