Dead Rising 2: Case Zero Shatters XBLA First-Week Sales Record

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Initial sales of Capcom and Blue Castle Games' Dead Rising 2 pre-LC Dead Rising 2: Case Zero might have made a pretty compelling case for this style of unique prerelease demo content. Capcom has announced that the XBLA version of the game--it is a "game," by the way, and not a demo--has "broken all records on Xbox Live" with the highest week-one unit sales ever in the history of the digital distribution service. 

Unfortunately, it's impossible to nail down Case Zero's exact unit-sold numbers. Like most other XBLA game creators, Capcom has decided to keep those under wraps. A mini-analysis of Case Zero written earlier this week by Gamerbytes, though, did peg the game as an above300,000-unit seller--a strong number for a downloadable game, obviously. 

Good games get rewarded with sales, as our own Brad Shoemarker deemed the game worth your time for it's ridiculously low five-dollar barrier of entry. I agree with his assessment, but I do wish Chuck Greene's watch was just a tad bit more visually stimulating. I've spent far too long staring at that mundane thing.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Initial sales of Capcom and Blue Castle Games' Dead Rising 2 pre-LC Dead Rising 2: Case Zero might have made a pretty compelling case for this style of unique prerelease demo content. Capcom has announced that the XBLA version of the game--it is a "game," by the way, and not a demo--has "broken all records on Xbox Live" with the highest week-one unit sales ever in the history of the digital distribution service. 

Unfortunately, it's impossible to nail down Case Zero's exact unit-sold numbers. Like most other XBLA game creators, Capcom has decided to keep those under wraps. A mini-analysis of Case Zero written earlier this week by Gamerbytes, though, did peg the game as an above300,000-unit seller--a strong number for a downloadable game, obviously. 

Good games get rewarded with sales, as our own Brad Shoemarker deemed the game worth your time for it's ridiculously low five-dollar barrier of entry. I agree with his assessment, but I do wish Chuck Greene's watch was just a tad bit more visually stimulating. I've spent far too long staring at that mundane thing.
#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Okie dokie.

#3 Edited by Wiseblood (641 posts) -

I'd like to see more stuff like this as long as it's new content.  It was really enjoyable.

#4 Edited by recspec@gmail.com (11 posts) -

My first XBLA purchase!
 Oh goddamn this new acct.

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Good on them.

#6 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -
@Wiseblood said:
" I hope to see more stuff like this as long as it's new content.  It was really enjoyable. "
Agreed. I did not hesitate to buy this day one only because the content was unique to Case Zero. Had it been an area of Fortune City that we'd see in the final game, without any story ties, I would have said "Fuck that".
#7 Posted by Davin (243 posts) -

This game is fully worth your $5.

#8 Posted by Jhriad (115 posts) -

PSN version now plox.

#9 Posted by attackslug (18 posts) -
@528seven said:
" Who the fuck is Brad Shoemarker? "
Obviously we are dealing with the possibility of a THIRD Brad

BradBradBrad
#10 Posted by PsychedelicET (104 posts) -

I'm really glad this has paid-off for Capcom and the Dead Rising franchise - it was a calculated risk that seems to have succeeded.

#11 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

Brad enjoys dragging his feet on your nice hardwood floors with his new black soled shoes.

#12 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -
@528seven said:
#13 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

I hope we see more games like this. I love Case Zero and the fact my shit carries over.

#14 Edited by Brackynews (4063 posts) -
@528seven said:

That's his pimp name. Didn't you see the party stream?
#15 Posted by skinnyman (186 posts) -

It's because it was 5 bucks. 10-15 would have killed it for me and a lot of other folks. Hopefully "they" are learning a valuable lesson about how to price according to value.

#16 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

it is really not a big surprise. Everyone seems hype about it so i expected the demo do real good.

#17 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Publishers take note, pricing your arcade game into impulse buy territory  is a better way to make money than making it 1200msp. Shank and PvZ, I am looking at you. 

Slow day on GB today, not surprising. Was hoping for the news guy(s) to provide some needed distraction but posting 3 day old news is not doing it for me.

#18 Posted by GioSpy (99 posts) -

Oh yeah :D This was the first new release XBLA game I've bought in a while and I enjoyed getting all the achievements in it. Can't wait until Dead Rising 2 comes out :D

#19 Posted by dagas (2813 posts) -

Thanks to the $5 price point I'm sure. It's so rare for XBLA games to be $10 these days let alone $5. It seems $15 is the new price. I hope this will mean more games get lower prices.

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Good for them, I suppose. Turns out people like cheap games.
#21 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

they could put it out on psn and break those records as well.... please capcom?

#22 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

Japanese Canadians......................>.>

#23 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Well deserved. Just because a product is worth more than 5$ doesn't mean you have to charge more for it. Was a great steal and got me pumped for DR2

#24 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Publishers need to realise that selling the game at a lower price actually increase sales and revenue; not the other way around.

#25 Posted by AbbaCuus (69 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:
" Good for them, I suppose. Turns out people like good games. "
Fixed it.
#26 Posted by MeatSim (10834 posts) -

Hopefully others follow Capcom's cheap pricing model.

#27 Posted by Rockdalf (1275 posts) -

Nice, maybe we will see an end to the 1200 ms point games now?

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Although this borders on charging for a demo, it was great to get a taster for the actual game and getting a complete seperate story pushed it beyond the realms of just being a demo.  Extra's for the full game and the really cheap price helped a lot too.

I wouldn't mind seeing more developers doing this..  as long as they put in as much effort.

#29 Edited by PLWolf (923 posts) -

See publishers?? You don't have to charge $15 to make money and have a hit game.

#30 Posted by Raye (45 posts) -

I wouldn't have been excited for Dead Rising 2 had this not come out, and for $5? Damn good deal. 

#31 Posted by Bolthor (86 posts) -
@TheWolf619 said:
" See publishers?? You don't have to charge $15 to make money and have a hit game. "
Exactly!
#32 Posted by AndyPhifer (167 posts) -

I'm gonna buy Case Zero and (probably) not bother with the full game. With that in mind, the first month sales figures will be interesting to see...

#33 Edited by wrecks (2244 posts) -

Hopefully developers of coming Pre-LC are watching closely. Red Faction Battlegrounds and Dead Space Ignition I'm looking at you.

#34 Posted by oliveshark (52 posts) -

This is good news. I'm going to buy it, but want to finish Dead Rising one first. I have a feeling playing around with the weapon combos in Case Zero will ruin the original Dead Rising for me ....

#35 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -

Recycled  kotaku story is better than nothing i guess. This OTHER brad is kinda sucky though, im sure hes going to go to the gym for the 8th time today after reading this comment.

#36 Posted by LtSquigs (265 posts) -

It's good to hear it did so well. It was a great game, probably worth a little more than $5 even.

#37 Posted by bjorno (1413 posts) -

only five bucks!

#38 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@TheWolf619 said:
" See publishers?? You don't have to charge $15 to make money and have a hit game. "
I hope publishers learn their lesson. I believe it was Capcom who released Flock! for $20 last year. It sold poorly.
#39 Edited by l3illyl3ob (282 posts) -
@TheWolf619 said:

Maybe not to have a hit game, but you probably need to charge $10 or $15 to make money.  Even with 300,000 sales, I'm guessing at $5 they wont make much of a profit.  Case Zero is a special case though because it's designed to make more people buy Dead Rising 2, its profits are irrelevant.  Although I'm sure this is good news for Capcom.
#40 Posted by EmptyApartment (140 posts) -

loved Case Zero glad to see its selling well

#41 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

300,000 X 5$ = alot

#42 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -

Why do i get a feeling these people saying "SEE YOU SHOULD MAKE IT CHEAPER!!" DIdnt even buy the game?

I got it because it looked like a kick ass mini prequel not SOLELY because it was cheap

#43 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Loved every second of it, and just made me want the full game even more. I even S-Ranked the first one after playing Case Zero!

#44 Posted by DontLikeClowns (20 posts) -

God damn Nicholson, do you proof these articles you post at all?

#45 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

I'm more way into the whole idea of a stand alone game as a demo. It's fucking excellent, especially at a price like that. 

Case Zero didn't really impress me in too many ways though, clunky controller and all.

#46 Posted by DavoTron (151 posts) -

Putting this out at 400 points means that most people will take a pop at it, and it's refreshing to see someone understand the consumer for a change.

#47 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
" Nice, maybe we will see an end to the 1200 ms point games now? "
Nah. More likely we'll see an end to the free demo now :{ 

I know "Blarg It's not a demo". It's still a smaller portion of the full game. They just made it's own stand alone environment and story for it. I'm sure going forward, instead of getting half of Lvl 2, leading up to the big boss fight you'll just get stuff like this instead. 
#48 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I am quite sure they made more profit then they would've when they sold it at $15. I realize they have to sell 3x as much and I am pretty sure they did that. They might have made more profit at $10, but this way they created a ton of interest in DR2  which will pay back eventually probably. People that had no previous interest in Dead Rising picked this up, and seemed to enjoy it a lot looking at the ratings.

#49 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

fuck yeah!

#50 Posted by kerikxi (540 posts) -

Yes, this felt like almost the perfect package and content for the price. Sure I finished it in one good sitting, but I still had plenty of replay value in finding all the combo weapons, etc. Just a great taste of what will hopefully be an equally great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.