Sandbox mode in a Dead Rising game? count me in!

#1 Posted by rosebud04 (360 posts) -

http://kotaku.com/5834783/dead-rising-2-off-the-records-new-sandbox-mode-is-all-i-ever-wanted 

This game is now on my radar!

#2 Posted by Kraank (74 posts) -

Hell yes. Very excited about that, no missions just zombie killing? That's pretty much how I played the first Dead Rising game lol.

#3 Posted by Gerhabio (1975 posts) -

This is what the first game should have been. I know it's what I wanted it to be and was severely disappointed when I didn't get it.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

That's the dumbest thing ever. 
Whoever buys Super Dead Rising here is just telling capcom "Keep up your shitty re-releasing strategy  "

#5 Posted by project343 (2809 posts) -

This part of the Quicklook convinced me to buy the game. About to head out now. Also, I sure hope you can still nab XP(or PP--as much as I refuse to call it that) in this mode. In either case, I skipped Dead Rising 2 waiting for something like this. Or a solid price drop.

#6 Posted by HatKing (5777 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

That's the dumbest thing ever. Whoever buys Super Dead Rising here is just telling capcom "Keep up your shitty re-releasing strategy "

That's not fair. Some of us were smart enough to read reviews and not buy Dead Rising 2 and now that they've finally inserted only mode that anybody ever really wanted from the game, we're interested. No, it was anybody who bought the original Dead Rising 2 that told Capcom, "don't bother improving basic mechanics or adapting to modern design philosophy because we'll buy anything."

If I could buy just this mode on a DVD for half the cost I would do so in a heartbeat.

#7 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

@HatKing: @kingzetta: Sounds to me like Capcom is just fucking everybody

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -
@HatKing said:

@kingzetta said:

That's the dumbest thing ever. Whoever buys Super Dead Rising here is just telling capcom "Keep up your shitty re-releasing strategy "

That's not fair. Some of us were smart enough to read reviews and not buy Dead Rising 2 and now that they've finally inserted only mode that anybody ever really wanted from the game, we're interested. No, it was anybody who bought the original Dead Rising 2 that told Capcom, "don't bother improving basic mechanics or adapting to modern design philosophy because we'll buy anything."

If I could buy just this mode on a DVD for half the cost I would do so in a heartbeat.

Now that's not fair; countering a negative generalisation with another negative generalisation.  I mean Christ almighty, people who bought the original DR2 are apparently morons? And nobody liked anything to do with DR2 besides the sand-box mode? What the fuck, man. A lot of people, me included, still really liked DR2 despite its archaic design choices, and a large portion of the reviews were highly positive at that. 

As for Off The Record, hey, CAPCOM do this a lot and it's generally frowned upon to be sure. But sometimes those re-releases actually ship with a lot of pretty substantial content, nestled nicely against a budget price. SSFIV, RE5 GOLD Edition and that UMvC3 looks to have a pretty hefty amount of bonuses, too. I'm not necessarily defending the entire procedure CAPCOM appear to have lined out for a lot of their games mind you. But I won't ignore the fact that some of those re-releases are much more expansive with an easily justifiable price than a lot of DLC is these days. 

If you're making the argument that anyone who doesn't just wait for the oft-inevitable re-release is stupid, then I'd say you're being pretty callous. Plenty of people like to play the games they're excited for ASAP and sure, they may well could just wait a year for the more content-packed edition, but I at least like my Dead Rising enough that I wanted to play DR2 from its release. And I'll totally get Off The Record as well; it doesn't look to of been given as many updates and additions as the aforementioned examples, but damn do I love my Dead Rising enough that the new stuff that is in here (with Frank in particular figuratively acting as the game's trump card) is worth the £22 I'm paying for it. 

And as for the sand-box mode... eh, that could be fun, though weirdly enough I prefer my Dead Rising when there's the pressure of a clock in tow, forcing a lot of time management and quick decisions to make. It'll be fun for simply screwing around, but it won't take up as much as my time as the story will.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.