Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

Canadian accent in DR2? .....what?

• 119 results
    drok17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By drok17

The accent doesn't exist. Its just a stereotype that americans branded us with, i.e We're all lumber jacks and live in  igloos.

A lot of people overseas thought I was actually American

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Raymayne

Yeah...that's just what America does man, they hear dumb nationalist jokes on stuff like South Park or Family guy like Canadians saying "eh" all the time or British people eating crumpets and it actually sinks into the majority of their thick skulls as absolute fact. It's just something you have to live with and try to ignore... 

Oh and btw everyone has a fucking accent.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By mason

I'm a Canadian who always used to be baffled at this supposed "Canadian accent" Americans told us we had. As far as my ears could tell, there was no discernible difference between most Canadian speech patterns and American. 

That is until I started spending time in Europe and Asia for extended vacations. Each time I'd come back home, for the first week everyone around me would sound REALLY Canadian. Even myself, which surprised me. I'd actually say I sound more "Canadian" than most people here, but maybe because I find affecting that way of speaking is funny so I do it on purpose without realizing.

I still don't hear the aboot thing (unless you're from a fishing village in the maritime provinces), but there is a distinct Canadian tonality and way of talking that we may not notice ourselves. It's usually subtle but there are differences.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By hinderk

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By CharleyTony

As a Canadian, I too, believe there is no ONE Canadian Accent. Kinda like there are many different accents in the USA. And when we talk about American accents, wow there are a lot of them that are huge stereotypes ! 

The more I think about it, maybe the Americans say there is a Canadian accent because they here us talk English, but it doesn't sound like any of their regional accents, it doesn't sound British or Australian.  
    Just think of how Americans view other accents, like the French, or Russian... After that stuff, you can see that they only have ears for their accents ! 

Little note: Im french canadian, and fully biiingual. When I speak in english and don't use any slang, people say I sound british !

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Daveyo520

Dude it exist. There are so people where you can just hear the Canadian in them. Also the whole aboot thing (even though it is not a joke cuz it's real) came long before South Park, blame SNL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the big problem. So they brand us with having silly accents, the U.S has a bunch of them! New Yorkers, Boston, hell when I go to Michigan a lot since it's like a 10 minutes from where I live, they have accents too! If it makes them feel better about branding us with it then let them have it. I've never heard anyone say 'aboot' but I have heard a lot of Canadians say 'eh', that we cannot escape.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Daveyo520 said:

" Dude it exist. There are so people where you can just hear the Canadian in them. Also the whole aboot thing (even though it is not a joke cuz it's real) came long before South Park, blame SNL. "

There are several "Canadian" accents.  There supposedly is an accent specific to the Ottawa valley.  In places, where "about" is pronounced differently than in the States, it's closer to aboat, not aboot..

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hourai said:
    " I'm Canadian and I definitely noticed some aboots and what not in the voice acting. It's not that noticeable, but it's there. Still, I'm not sure why Jeff or anybody cared enough to point it out in the first place. Canadians are allowed to have accents, too.  "
    I'm Canadian and never have said or heard anyone say aboot... so the fuck?
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Daveyo520
    @teh_pwnzorer: Well the point is Canadians have accents even if they are not all the same.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer: Well the point is Canadians have accents even if they are not all the same. "
    No.  The underlying claim is that the Canadian accent is different from the North East US accent -- which isn't true everywhere in Canada.  Of course, Canadians sound different than Texans or Australians.  Everybody has an "accent." 

@LiquidPrince said:
    " @Hourai said:
    " I'm Canadian and I definitely noticed some aboots and what not in the voice acting. It's not that noticeable, but it's there. Still, I'm not sure why Jeff or anybody cared enough to point it out in the first place. Canadians are allowed to have accents, too.  "
    I'm Canadian and never have said or heard anyone say aboot... so the fuck? "

Apparently, in Ottawa, they say aboat.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By august

Ya'll also say "sorry" funny. Sounds like "sew-ry"

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Daveyo520
    @teh_pwnzorer:  umm no. I live in the NE US and this accent is not the  Normal American accent. While the normal way of speaking is normal the "accent" from here is like this. 
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sully-denise/280258/ or where I live 
    http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Griffin 

When people speak not like that it would be the American accent, not the NE one. Like Jeff and Ryan sound like normal Americans and they are from Cali.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:  umm no. I live in the NE US and this accent is not the supposed Canadian accent. If any state sounds like it it is Montana. "
    I wouldn't really know...I ain't no linguist...
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Daveyo520 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer:  umm no. I live in the NE US and this accent is not the  Normal American accent. While the normal way of speaking is normal the "accent" from here is like this.  http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sully-denise/280258/ or where I live  http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Griffin   When people speak not like that it would be the American accent, not the NE one. Like Jeff and Ryan sound like normal Americans and they are from Cali. "

"Normal American" accent?  Can you refer me to a wikipedia page or a linguistics book where this is discussed... 

The giantbomb cast sound like valley girls with their nonstop "like"s, btw.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By JoelTGM

No there was some Canadian accents.  Every now and then you'll catch some of it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By CL60
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Hourai said:
    I'm Canadian and never have said or heard anyone say aboot... so the fuck? "
    Nobody ever says aboot. It's more "aboat" in the rare case that somebody does actually say it differently from about, and even that aboat sounds incredibly similar to about to the point I have no idea how it would even be possible to notice.
    JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By JokerFrown
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#119  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yeah, the Canadian "sorry" is something you hear all the time in TV/Film, also Matt Braga of Canada and Tested.com said aboot a few times in their vegas live streams.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.