Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

Dead Rising 2. Great PC port of an oddly designed game

BrainMeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By BrainMeats

As a PC gamer I never once paid any attention to the first Dead Rising game when it came out. I didn't have an Xbox so it didn't really concern me, I had heard some odd things about it though. It was a sandbox game, sort of, where you weren't really allowed to play around. There was a New Game+ system that seemed to sharply divide the players. The save system was brutal and the gameplay was ridiculous.

Dead Rising 2 is pretty much more of the same, but now it's not an Xbox exclusive so I took an interest. The design decisions are not what I would ask for as a PC gamer. Save Slots is a pretty foreign concept to me but here they are, and only three of them at that. Controls seem pretty sluggish at first but that's another one of those things that gets better as the game goes on. I guess it's supposed to be frustrating to begin with, as if daring you to play it. Speaking of controls, I guess the console versions have this same issue but you can't customize them at all. If you don't use the WASD combo to get around I guess you're out of luck. Sometimes the game confuses a double click for a click and hold which is the difference between a regular or a heavy attack, but that's the only real issue I've noticed with responsiveness. If you prefer, you can plug in an Xbox controller but it was annoying having to go into the options menu and enable/disable it after Just Cause 2 did such an amazing job supporting both inputs. As far as performance everything looks great and load times are minimal. I'm not sure how well it scales since PC options are just resolution and texture detail, but my 5 year old machine can still run it.

The PC port runs great but that doesn't necessarily cover up some of the design flaws. So I guess whether or not that's good enough is up to the player.

BrainMeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BrainMeats

As a PC gamer I never once paid any attention to the first Dead Rising game when it came out. I didn't have an Xbox so it didn't really concern me, I had heard some odd things about it though. It was a sandbox game, sort of, where you weren't really allowed to play around. There was a New Game+ system that seemed to sharply divide the players. The save system was brutal and the gameplay was ridiculous.

Dead Rising 2 is pretty much more of the same, but now it's not an Xbox exclusive so I took an interest. The design decisions are not what I would ask for as a PC gamer. Save Slots is a pretty foreign concept to me but here they are, and only three of them at that. Controls seem pretty sluggish at first but that's another one of those things that gets better as the game goes on. I guess it's supposed to be frustrating to begin with, as if daring you to play it. Speaking of controls, I guess the console versions have this same issue but you can't customize them at all. If you don't use the WASD combo to get around I guess you're out of luck. Sometimes the game confuses a double click for a click and hold which is the difference between a regular or a heavy attack, but that's the only real issue I've noticed with responsiveness. If you prefer, you can plug in an Xbox controller but it was annoying having to go into the options menu and enable/disable it after Just Cause 2 did such an amazing job supporting both inputs. As far as performance everything looks great and load times are minimal. I'm not sure how well it scales since PC options are just resolution and texture detail, but my 5 year old machine can still run it.

The PC port runs great but that doesn't necessarily cover up some of the design flaws. So I guess whether or not that's good enough is up to the player.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

So buy the PC version?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

It's cheaper, and it has the potential for the crippling bugs to  be ironed out. I'd go with it, personally, if I liked zombie games

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

If any of you PC gamers would be so kindly and take some in game shots with all the bells and whistles on, i would be very thankful. I sadly bought it for console instead of PC, but i'm interested in the visual difference.

Avatar image for dreynholmthe1st
    dreynholmthe1st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dreynholmthe1st

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    here are a couple screenshots of the pc version. these are with everything at max with 8x aa. the only thing I have turned off is blur, and that because it looks like crap when its on lol
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By VicRattlehead

I purchased the PC version instead of the PS3 version.... reason being it was cheaper and was supposed to in general look and run much better than the console counterparts.... 
    load times on pc version are really short and the game looks good  
    the only problem I am having is searching for co-op games... haven't found one yet and have yet to have someone enter my session... 

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ObsideonDarman

Yeah I have the PS3 version and at times it runs really badly

LiquidPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By LiquidPenguins
    @dreynholmthe1st:  Your screenshots are hilariously small so I don't think you understand what AA even is.

edit: you got me!
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat

I got my PC version today and it is easily the best version of the game. Runs great, looks great.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rjayb89
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo
    @BrainMeats said:
    "Speaking of controls, I guess the console versions have this same issue but you can't customize them at all. If you don't use the WASD combo to get around I guess you're out of luck. "
    You can apparently configure the controls by going into an .ini file and changing them there.  It's a shitty alternative to just making the game properly in the first place, but the option is there if you want it.
    Avatar image for dreynholmthe1st
    dreynholmthe1st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dreynholmthe1st

@LiquidPenguins: lol I do know what aa is. It seemed thats the largest size I could up, I may be wrong on that tho. I have a 22 inch monitor and game at default res. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.