The Dead Rising series is known for being slightly awkward and somewhat unapproachable because of it's uncompromising design. It's a sand box with a time limit, and because of the levelling system it's unlikely you'll be able to tackle everything successfully on your first, second or even third playthrough. Dead Rising 2 has ironed out a lot of the problems of the original but in copying the design of it's predecessor has inherited some features that people might take issue with. I have created this thread so that we can all share any tips we've picked up or read elsewhere. A comprehensive list of things that will help a player out no matter how simple. I think it's better than the inevitable 50+ threads asking for help with certain things.
Post your tip and if it's a good one I'll add it to my first post, with credit.
Last Updated: October 17th 2010
Beginners GuideHere I will outline the basics of the game which will also form the headings for the tips covered below. If you are just getting started with the game this will help you out with some basic concepts and tips about how to play the game and what you should be doing.
- Prestige Points: The name given to experience in dead rising. Once you have earned enough you level up gaining new abilities and combo cards, as well as improved stats.
- Money: In Dead Rising 2 you collect money to spend in the various pawn shops around Fortune City, as well as some vending machines. You can collect money from gambling machines as well as earn some through side quests.
- Zombrex: A drug that suppresses the zombie infection within a person preventing them from turning for 24 hours. You will have to give this to your daughter once every 24 hours, and 2 other optional characters. The drug can be purchased from each of the 4 pawn shops in fortune city. It becomes significantly more expensive the more times you buy it, even across playthroughs until you get an actual ending which causes the price to reset.
- Survivors: Most of the quests you receive that are not case mission will involve you finding a survivor and then returning them to the safe room. Sometimes you will have to meet a requirement such as having another survivor with you, a certain weapon or piece of clothing.
- Psychopaths: These are humans who have snapped due to the stress of the outbreak and you will have to kill in the form of a boss battle. There are a few unavoidable battles related to the story but most are optional side quests.
- Combo Cards: By combining 2 items with a wrench icon in a maintenance room you will make a 'combo weapon' and get a scratch card that shows you how you made it. This gives a small PP bonus per kill. By completing quests and levelling up you gain the full combo card which gives you more PP per kill and you unlock a heavy attack. Combo weapons often do much more damage than regular weapons.
- Clothing: Chuck can wear various items of clothing around the mall. These are purely cosmetic and are not accumulated so if you want to wear a different piece of clothing you have to go back to it's location. You can change Chuck back to unlocked clothes, DLC costumes or his default gear in the Safe Room's bathroom.
- Magazines: There are various books scattered around the game that give bonuses to various things such as PP, gambling, hand to hand damage and so on. They take up an inventory slot and must be carried at all time to receive the effects.
- Juice: By mixing various food and drink items in a blender you can make drinks with unique effects that also restore health. All Juice effects are temporary.
ResourcesBelow are links to various guides that will assist you in everything from books to Zombrex locations.
- Interactive Game Map
- Image Game Map
- Combo Card Guide
- Combo Card Image Guide
- Clothing Location Guide
- Magazine Location Guide
- Katey Gift Guide
- Psychopath Strategy Guide
- Survivor Location + Time Guide
- Juice Guide
- To easily access doors connecting areas without being ravaged by Zombies use your dodge roll to roll towards the door. You can go through the door during any part of the animation so you don't have to wait for the animation to end.
- Keys obtained through the story or bought from pawnshops will carry over between playthroughs.
- Knife Gloves (Boxing Gloves + Bowie Knife) will make short work of almost every enemy in the game, and net you tons of PP in the process. - by Mmmslash
- Eating/drinking something normal after consuming 2 alcoholic drinks, keeps you from throwing up, even if you consume in fast succession. - by Sessh
- Don't be afraid to jump over balcony/2nd floor railings. You will at most take 1 block of damage, sometimes none at all. It is much better and faster than finding the nearest stairs or escalator.
- If you jump off a high ledge then if you elbow drop you'll take no damage and kill anything beneath you. But not when you hop a balcony, because you can't elbow drop after hopping over a rail. - by Sedasys
- The best way to open boxes is to jump on them. It is much quicker than picking it up and throwing it. - by Abyssfull
- Save as often as you can. Every time you do something significant like beat a Psychopath or save a survivor take the time to save, it's worth the time. - by Pokechapp
PP (Prestige Points)
- Using combo weapons that you own the combo card for is a quick way to level up. You get bonus PP for each kill, but how much varies greatly depending on the weapon.
- Alternatively you can rescue survivors. You get a good bonus of 10,000 PP initially whichescalates over the course of the game to over 60,000 per survivor. Magazine's can provide additional bonuses.
- On the Silver Strip there is a peepshow place called the Peep Hole, it has 3 doors for 3 different peep shows (you don't actually get to see anything) each peep show cost $1 000 and get you 1,000 PP and after you do all 3 you get a bonus 10,000PP. - by Uri555
- You can give Katie various gifts from around the mall for PP bonuses and 2 achievements/trophies. Check above for a list.
- There's a gym in Palisades Mall called Flexin' where if you run the treadmills and use all of the bikes then you get bonus PP. - by RelentlessKnight
- In the Yucatan Casino (can't remember exactly where within it) there is a large fire burning as a part of the scenery. You can continually throw increasing amounts of money into for a lot of PP. - by Dragnet
- At the centre of the Palisades Mall there is a bar with a pool. Climb the water stairs to the top and ride the slide down for a 10,000 PP bonus.
- There's a giant novelty craps table with two big red dice in the middle of Royal Flush Plaza, if you pick up the dice and roll a seven, you get 10,000 PP. Both dice are at six, so all you would need to do is pick up one and roll a one. - by Angerpanda
- There's a store in Royal Flush Plaza called A Man's Sport where you can punch three Slam Man dummies apart for 1,000 PP each . - by Angerpanda
- In that same store there is strength test, the kind you see at circuses, where you pound a hammer as hard as you can to make a bell ring for 5,000 PP. - by Angerpanda
- Combat books give additional 10% PP each for kills that give PP (combo weapons and special moves). Horror books gives 50% bonus PP on zombie killing milestones (for every 50 killed and every 1000 killed).
- Big Money: Obtain all 3 Gambling books then go to the big slot machine at the back of the Slot Ranch Casino and place $1,000 bets continuously. You might not win that often but you can get over a million in 20 minutes or less using this method. Repeat as needed.
- Play Terror is Reality online a few times to earn yourself some money for your single player campaign. - by creamypies
- Not all slot machines are winners. You can tell which slot machines you can win money on by looking to see if they have money already dropped in front of them. You can't win on the others.
- After winning on a slot machine several times you will stop winning, but you can smash it open to get a final boost of cash. - by Pokechapp
- Using the Hacker (Flashlight + Computer Case) on ATMs causes them to spit out $10,000 instead of the usual $2,500. - by Pokechapp
- There are a limited number of free Zombrex for you to find around Fortune City:
Royal Flush Plaza: This will be the first mission in the game and the first and only obvious free one you encounter.
Americana Casino: Go to the second floor of the BBQ restaurant and navigate along the ceiling lights until you see a stuffed bunny in the distance. Navigate towards it to find a big pile of money and one free Zombrex.
Underground: Another free Zombrex can be found in the maintenance tunnel after the first "fight" with TK on the train. Take a buggy and take a right on the tunnel sticking to the left hand wall. It should be on the next small ramp. - by dudeglove
Slot Ranch Casino: Climb up on the stage to the north west and run behind the curtains, climb up the boxes along the back wall and you should find a Zombrex sitting on top. - by MysteriousFawks
Yucatan Casino: Go to the centre and there should be a large structure. Climb to the top and there is a Zombrex on top next to an LMG. - by Sedasys
- There are also several opportunities to get Zombrex during optional missions:
Code Blue - Escort the paramedic back to the safe room to get some Zombrex.
Demand And Supply - If you choose to rescue the paramedic he will have an optional sidequest on day 3 inside the cafeteria to gain another free Zombrex.
Hunger Pains - Escort the survivor back to the safe room to get some Zombrex.
Mail Order Zombrex - Defeat the mail man psychopath to get some Zombrex.
- Survivors cannot be given combo weapons. Always bring an ordinary weapon if you want to give it to them.
- Returning survivors to the safe room will make the weapon they were carrying disappear. Recover any important weapons before returning them.
- Survivors need to be near you when you transition between an area. As a green door icon appears above their head you can go through without leaving them behind.
- You can put survivors in cars and wheelchairs, speeding up the process of getting them back to the safe room. Especially if they are injured.
- Do not stick around and fight. The survivors can fight back but as long as they are running they will almost never take damage so just keep running and you'll have no problem getting them to safety.
- Give survivors guns. They are more effective with them. wont rush forward to attack zombies and have unlimited ammo. - by Pokechapp
- If you pick up the 3 gambling mags and play Ante Up or that poker escort mission you will get face cards 90% of the time, thus making both missions do-able in a quicker time. - by Hoghad
- The 'Leadership' magazine improves the state of injured survivors so that you do not need to carry them, they run at normal speed.
- Feeding Snowflake 3 steaks will allow you to tame her and return her to the safe room.
- During the 'Wilted Flower' mission the survivor will unlock a shortcut from Brand New U on the second floor of Palisades Mall to the bathroom of Royal Flush Plaza. - by dudeglove
- There is a secret combo card called 'Wingman' which you get by combining a Queen Bee and a Nectar Juice. This also unlocks an achievement/trophy.
- Glitch: You can combine the Assault Rifle with the Electric Chair to make a Blitzkrieg even though it's meant to be a merc assault rifle, and the regular Assault Rifle isn't even a combinable item.
- By using the fortune teller in the Silver Strip you can gain several PP bonuses as well as the burning skull combo card as the final reward. To get the combo card just keep using it but be warned; the price goes up each time and in total costs about $1.2million. - by Vorbis
- Right in the middle of the underground area is a hamster ball. Use it wisely, it is very fragile but treated as a vehicle so no health status.
- If you play the mini-game in the Hamsterball in Fortune Park a few times you can unlock that one and roll around that whole outdoor area. - by daftdethmonkey
- The game contains 50 achievements including 1 secret achievement and 51 trophies.
Click here for a list of the Xbox360 Achievements
Click here for a list of the PS3 Trophies
Click here for a guide for getting all achievements/trophies