Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

the psychopaths are hard? (spoilers I suppose)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Animasta

after listening to Jeff say how the psychopaths were hard, I was expecting them to be way harder than they were; sure, Antoine was a mother but most of the rest were pretty easy (I suspect the fact that I had 6 survivors with assault rifles rolling around when I beat slappy and the fat guy in the wedding place made them way easier then they were normally)

did you find them hard?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MeierTheRed

I beat every (the 10-11 ones i killed) boss with melee, and with two magazines giving you bonus to health pickups.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Three0neFive

1.) Play a few rounds of TIR
    2.) Fill your slots with LMGs
    3.) Rape every psychopath in the game

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@Laketown said:
    " after listening to Jeff say how the psychopaths were hard, I was expecting them to be way harder than they were; sure, Antoine was a mother but most of the rest were pretty easy (I suspect the fact that I had 6 survivors with assault rifles rolling around when I beat slappy and the fat guy in the wedding place made them way easier then they were normally)  did you find them hard? "
    That's exactly why you found them easy.   A bunch of survivors with guns make every psychopath you can drag them to cake.  Being over-leveled does the same thing.   

The only ones I think are tough at level 50 are Roger and Reed, the magicians.   

Countdown to my 13 year old self coming in and telling me I suck at videogames.
    mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mason

On my first playthrough, I've taken out all of the pyschos so far (except the chef, but I ran out of time). Yeah you have to use the game's own limitations against them, which is bullshit. But I sometimes like beating bosses by cheezing the system. It's oddly rewarding to find the holes in gameplay and exploit them. Call me crazy. I snipered Slappy while camping from the stores, got biker guy stuck in corners and slashed him, with the hippy guy, would quickly pop-in and back out of the stall area, making him spawn and then run in after he swipes at the air). 

But even without gaming the system, I think they're all quite doable. I just follow simple rules.

1) Take time to mix a painkiller drink (or similar buff) before the fight.
    2) Take a couple of orange juices for healing.
    3) Learn the psycho's patterns, die, then use that knowledge to choose weapons that'll work well and come back. Normally no slow weapons.
    4) If it's still too hard, come back and face them later with a higher level. Many of the psycho missions have a large window of availability. It can wait. I think I always killed the psychos when their mission meters were in the red.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat
    @Three0neFive said:
    " 1.) Play a few rounds of TIR 2.) Fill your slots with LMGs 3.) Rape every psychopath in the game "
    Guns are so bad for taking out Psychopaths. I tried an LMG on randy and I couldn't even see the damage it was doing it was that small. Knife gloves however take like 1/10 of his health per hit.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Three0neFive
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " 1.) Play a few rounds of TIR 2.) Fill your slots with LMGs 3.) Rape every psychopath in the game "
    Guns are so bad for taking out Psychopaths. I tried an LMG on randy and I couldn't even see the damage it was doing it was that small. Knife gloves however take like 1/10 of his health per hit. "
    Admittedly I didn't have any LMGs left at the time I fought Randy, but they seemed to chew through everyone else had fought up to that point - Slappy, Mr. Disgruntled Postal Worker, Mr. Crazy Texan, The Lesbian Twins, etc. Seems to take a whole gun per psychopath, maybe half if you're lucky.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Every single Psycho has a weakness. 

You can knock Slappy on his ass. 

Randy can rarely reach you if you stand on top of the pews. 

Carl has the longest reload time ever. 

Seymour is just kind of a pussy. 

It's all about knowing what you are facing before hand. That might seem kind of stupid for most games, but that's just how Dead Rising works. 

Also yeah, coming in prepared helps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Three0neFive said:
    " @AlisterCat said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    Guns are so bad for taking out Psychopaths. I tried an LMG on randy and I couldn't even see the damage it was doing it was that small. Knife gloves however take like 1/10 of his health per hit. "
    Admittedly I didn't have any LMGs left at the time I fought Randy, but they seemed to chew through everyone else had fought up to that point - Slappy, Mr. Disgruntled Postal Worker, Mr. Crazy Texan, The Lesbian Twins, etc. Seems to take a whole gun per psychopath, maybe half if you're lucky. "
    Yeah, guns are awesome for psychopaths.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By foggel

Slappy is the one on the skates right? Using the water gun on him stuns him. So stun him with that, and beat him with some melee weapon. Easiest boss when you know that.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By foggel

Slappy is the one on the skates right? Using the water gun on him stuns him. So stun him with that, and beat him with some melee weapon. Easiest boss when you know that.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I really never had any trouble with any of the psychopaths. With patience, most of them have a pretty simple pattern you can learn with a clear window where you can easily employ a little hit and run. Take some time to level up, employ some good weapons (such as knife gloves and LMGs), and keep some coffee creamer and a health magazine on hand...it's generally not that bad.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jiggah

A lot of them aren't hard at all.  They definitely have patterns and if you make painkillers/quickstep, they become a breeze.  You can literally stand next to them and just whack them over and over again.

DrBlacktavious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrBlacktavious

The problem I had is that the rest of the game is so easy to breeze through with combo weapons and whatever food is laying around, that the slight planning psychopaths require throws me for a loop.  Especially since I'm still working my way through the days and It's difficult to tell when a case is a survivor or a psycho.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#15  Edited By DonutFever
    @Three0neFive said:
    Whoa man I just wanted to kill them!
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Origina1Penguin

My strategy was to have a bunch of orange juice, wine, and spiked bats, then just blitz them with melee. You'll probably get hurt a lot and use all of your healing items, but they'll die quick and easy. Almost all of the psychos can be hit three times before they land a blow on you. If you want, you can hit twice then roll away.

Xabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xabu

The problem with the boss fights in Dead Rising 2 isn't their difficulty, it's that they put a complete halt to the game's own beloved style.  I mean yeah once you learn how to do them they're easy, but I feel it comes at a cost to the theme of the game itself.

Dead Rising 2 is loaded with sexual innuendos, comedic levels of bloody slapstick violence, hilariously inappropriate weaponry and outfits, and of course amusing ways of regenerating health in a pinch. But looking past all the silliness, maybe somewhat forgettable narrative, and repeated (but intriguing) cleavage shots, I realized that Dead Rising 2 really gets the notion of a "zombie world" correct. People have literally accepted zombies for what they are, and they for all intents and purposes omnipresent. They represent "pockets" of anarchy in society where they reside, and people fight for their own agenda. Their are the corporations profiteering heavily off them, the looters taking advantage of shop owners fleeing for their lives, the people who have lost their sanity amongst the chaos the zombies bring and can never be returned to reason, and the survivors who just refuse to accept what has happened and try their hardest to cope with it as much as they hate themselves for doing so.

One thing Dead Rising 2 does right over any other zombie game is that it prides itself on improvisation and adaptation, which is EXACTLY what one should be expecting to be paramount in a zombie scenario. You might laugh at Chuck tossing poker chips and footballs at zombies (and I do too), but this is really what you should be expecting. Anything goes and Dead Rising 2 prides itself on the fact that you need to do whatever it is necessary for survival and sustenance; if I'm getting swarmed, why *shouldn't * I be able to grab that nearby rake, bowling ball, or pair of boxing gloves and just start wailing? A number of weapons will prove more effective than others (combinations especially), but the fact remains that Dead Rising 2 wants you to kill zombies by any and all means necessary, as it sure as hell should be. You can fight however you want, whenever you want, and with whatever you want.

And this is where the boss fights become a problem. Because the entire previously mentioned "anyway, anyhow" style of Dead Rising 2 just comes crashing down, and the vast majority of the boss fights require a very limited subset of weaponry and at best one or two tactics; and if that subset of weaponry happens to be Light Machinegun and Sniper Rifle from nearby pawn shop, well you can expect the disappointment train to arrive on time today, and believe it or not the conductor isn't checking tickets this time. The bosses themselves fit well into the story and the notion of a zombie outbreak, and while not necessarily difficult once you figure out their gimmick (with a few exceptions, ugh), they feel so wholly unnecessary and tiresome in their devastation of Dead Rising 2's fantastic freestyle gameplay.

Despite the boss fights, I still do love Dead Rising 2. But really, Blue Castle obviously knows exactly how to dance liberally around that fine line between creating the most believable zombie world possible while still sporting chainsaws duct taped to canoe paddles, so I really wish they would have taken a really good look at the psychopath encounters and reconsidered how the player should generally deal with them.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By simian

The only one I've had problems with so far was Brandon which was because it was the first one I hit + I was too low a level to have dodge. Leon is a close second but for the same reasons.
    The rest have been pretty easy so far especially once you find the pattern.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iKANNIBAL
    @foggel said:

" Slappy is the one on the skates right? Using the water gun on him stuns him. So stun him with that, and beat him with some melee weapon. Easiest boss when you know that. "

Slappy was so easy, there is a food mart right upstairs with unlimited food where you fight him, we just kept eating the food everytime our health got to low, and yea i agree with the other dude GUNS SUCK on Psychopaths, Melee combined weapons are best, guns barely even scratch psychopaths. 

Example, Snipers and shotguns didn't do shit to the chef, but that flaming skull we made in the  maintenance room took nearly all of his health down with just  2-4 hits. The only time i used guns was when i fought that fat guy with the pet tiger and that was only because i had to stand on top of the platform to avoid getting tackled by the tiger.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NoXious

I did most of them solo - had a lot of problems with the plane circling the hotel while you have to kill the guy (don't want to spoil it by naming him!).
    Beyond that I found em all easy. I probably died at least once on every psychopath to find out how to best em though. Game wasn't good at pointing out all of these things.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Raymayne

I wouldn't say 'hard', more like 'fucking frustrating and unfair'. It's not hard to just grab a few guns, set of knife gloves, and bottles of OJ in prep for the fight so you'll be fine, it's just the ridiculousness of how fast some of the psychos move and all their unblockable attacks. They become nothing like a normal boss fight where you have to wait for your opening and make use of effective dodging and stuff, more like just wail on a guy with your knife gloves, drink some OJ whenever he runs off, rinse and repeat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.