Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising

Franchise »

Dead Rising is an action-adventure, survivor horror video game series, developed by Capcom. It takes much of it's inspirations from the George Romero zombie films, while managing to stay original.

What the Dead Rising franchise needs to be a better game

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

Edited By vigorousjammer

hey guys!
    I was thinking recently about Dead Rising, and why I personally enjoyed the first game so much more than the second game, and I came to a few realizations.

1) The psychopath battles in the second game were absolutely horrible, unplayable pieces of crap.
    2) the map design was bigger than the first game, yes... but the time limitations were made even more annoying because of this.
    3) stopping to build new weapons is counterproductive to running to the next mission in time.
    and...
    4) a gun breaking because you ran out of ammo is just stupid.

now, don't get me wrong guys, I have no problem with the save system, and I've got no problem with the whole time-management idea. both of those things kind of make up the dead rising experience for me, rushing to your next objective has always been a talent that you have to learn, and I've always had fun with it.

And some of the things I listed above were also in Dead Rising 1, but I felt they weren't very prominent.

If in the next dead rising game they would make the bosses a little less unfair, I'd be way more into it.  That's not to say I don't want a challenge, I just don't want the way to beat a boss to be as cheap as seeing them get stuck on a wall and then blasting them with a bunch of machine gun bullets.

I'd also like it if while you're in the saferoom, no matter how unrealistic it is, time would not pass.  the constant rush while playing the game doesn't provide any sort of fun... if you can go back to the saferoom and get a breather there, maybe change outfits, create some new weapons, that'd be cool.

I'd also like it if you could stockpile stuff in the saferoom so you can collect items to build stuff out of, and not have to be limited by inventory space.  I also think It'd be much better if you could collect an outfit, and it'd automatically go into the closet in the saferoom in case you wanted to change back into it later.

These are all really small things, but I think it'd make the pacing of the game much better, and it would allow for better use of the in-game features. what do you guys think?

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vigorousjammer

hey guys!
    I was thinking recently about Dead Rising, and why I personally enjoyed the first game so much more than the second game, and I came to a few realizations.

1) The psychopath battles in the second game were absolutely horrible, unplayable pieces of crap.
    2) the map design was bigger than the first game, yes... but the time limitations were made even more annoying because of this.
    3) stopping to build new weapons is counterproductive to running to the next mission in time.
    and...
    4) a gun breaking because you ran out of ammo is just stupid.

now, don't get me wrong guys, I have no problem with the save system, and I've got no problem with the whole time-management idea. both of those things kind of make up the dead rising experience for me, rushing to your next objective has always been a talent that you have to learn, and I've always had fun with it.

And some of the things I listed above were also in Dead Rising 1, but I felt they weren't very prominent.

If in the next dead rising game they would make the bosses a little less unfair, I'd be way more into it.  That's not to say I don't want a challenge, I just don't want the way to beat a boss to be as cheap as seeing them get stuck on a wall and then blasting them with a bunch of machine gun bullets.

I'd also like it if while you're in the saferoom, no matter how unrealistic it is, time would not pass.  the constant rush while playing the game doesn't provide any sort of fun... if you can go back to the saferoom and get a breather there, maybe change outfits, create some new weapons, that'd be cool.

I'd also like it if you could stockpile stuff in the saferoom so you can collect items to build stuff out of, and not have to be limited by inventory space.  I also think It'd be much better if you could collect an outfit, and it'd automatically go into the closet in the saferoom in case you wanted to change back into it later.

These are all really small things, but I think it'd make the pacing of the game much better, and it would allow for better use of the in-game features. what do you guys think?

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

Good suggestions. I mostly just want some kind of locker or storage place where I can store things instead of having to carry them all over the place or constantly remake weapons and maybe make it easier to rescue survivors similar to how the DLC handled it.

Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Delicious_Brains

I like your suggestions, especially on the time stopping in the saferoom. Personally, I'd prefer that it just slowed way down so I could get some survivor interaction.

I'm hoping for some big improvements for a third game (not counting Frank's DR2 spin off), loved the series so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anything needs to change really. To me they harken back more to an old school style of video games. Out of all the games I've played in this current gen they've been the hardest sans just upping the difficulty and I appreciate that, too many easy games nowadays.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

How about a fucking compass and waypoints

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

The option to save your game wherever you want. I would totally buy a Dead Rising game if I had that option.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By kingzetta

Removes everything that is was annoying about it.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ReyGitano

To me Dead Rising is about killing lots of zombies in a commercial area with plenty of weapons to use, food to eat, and clothes to wear. Also, taking strange pictures with a camera.

More of this, less of psychopaths and human opponents please.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Sorry to be 'that guy' but go play something else.

The Bosses are best in your 30s, hard when underleveled and easier than shit at level 50 with a few combo weapons.
    The Time Limitations are a FUNDAMENTAL part of the Dead Rising Franchise - the map size really didn't matter, you could get a LOT done with each run of DR2 compared to DR1.
    Weapons take 2 seconds to make unless you're running around looking for the parts (hint: Pick them up when taking people back to the safe house, hold on to things etc)
    Guns? Really? There are a million games where shooting zombies is the point, guns have always be, and should always be a secondary concern in Dead Rising.
    Collecting things in the safe house? Again, that's part of the game, do you save someone or go after parts to make a better weapon for the boss?
    And time stopping in the safe house? No, never. Time does not stop - again, fundamental to the structure and sort of the point of the game.

It sounds like you want an 'easy' mode, or maybe just a Third-Person Shooter with Zombies, again, there are plenty of those.
    The only thing I can remotely agree on is the outfits, and even then it's so superficial it doesn't matter.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vigorousjammer

@Commisar123 said:

" How about a fucking compass and waypoints "

YES! that too, forgot about that one.

@PrivateIronTFU said:

" The option to save your game wherever you want. I would totally buy a Dead Rising game if I had that option. "

NO.

@SteamPunkJin said:

"The Bosses are best in your 30s, hard when underleveled and easier than shit at level 50 with a few combo weapons."

I wouldn't mind that if they didn't force you to fight some of the bosses.  I got up to the boss with the two stripper ladies, and I wasn't leveled up enough cause I was avoiding all of the other bosses.  So I should restart the game or go grinding for PP?  seems like poor design to me.

@SteamPunkJin said:

" The Time Limitations are a FUNDAMENTAL part of the Dead Rising Franchise - the map size really didn't matter, you could get a LOT done with each run of DR2 compared to DR1."

Agreed, I suppose I just feel like the leveling system kind of forces you to restart if you want to finish everything.  I guess it's my own fault for being a completionist.

@SteamPunkJin said:

"Weapons take 2 seconds to make unless you're running around looking for the parts (hint: Pick them up when taking people back to the safe house, hold on to things etc)"

But it seems the game forces you to run around and look for the parts, and then you have to go out of your way and run to a workbench... it'd be nice if they streamlined some of that stuff somehow.

@SteamPunkJin said:
    " Guns? Really? There are a million games where shooting zombies is the point, guns have always be, and should always be a secondary concern in Dead Rising."
    They are secondary, I know, but it'd be nice if they could make them play a little better... I wouldn't want them to be overpowered, just more useful.  The focus should still be on the melee weapons, I agree.

@SteamPunkJin said:
    "Collecting things in the safe house? Again, that's part of the game, do you save someone or go after parts to make a better weapon for the boss?"
    I suppose so... when you put it like that, it does have a kind of nice risk vs. reward aspect to it.

@SteamPunkJin said:
    " And time stopping in the safe house? No, never. Time does not stop - again, fundamental to the structure and sort of the point of the game."
    I dunno, the thing I don't like about time passing in the hub is that you're not making any forward progress... so it makes you not want to spend any time in there, cause you feel like you just gotta get back out and start doing more missions.  I don't think it's really fundamental, because time would start passing again as soon as you left the safehouse and continued on with your missions.

saying time doesn't stop isn't really a valid argument, cause, well... there's much crazier stuff that we've seen in dead rising games, like a mega buster that you fire at zombies, or guns disappearing after you shoot them too much.  if your meters stopped ticking while in the safehouse, it'd just be a video-gamey type of thing, and I think Dead rising has enough of that already, so it'd be fine, and it could make the pacing of the game a little more structured.

@SteamPunkJin said:
    "It sounds like you want an 'easy' mode, or maybe just a Third-Person Shooter with Zombies, again, there are plenty of those.
    The only thing I can remotely agree on is the outfits, and even then it's so superficial it doesn't matter. "
    The last thing I want is a third person shooter with zombies... and as for an easy mode, I don't think difficulty should come in the form of poor design choices, and rather in better AI & better map design.  I think Dead Rising 2 was almost there, but these are just a few small things I think they could improve upon.
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattbosten

The only things I would like to see added are a storage space shared across all work benches and the ability to get survivors into the safe room without having to enter it yourself. 

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marcsman

Add cheerleader zombies of course.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Vigorousjammer: Why not? I said 'Option'. Option. Get it?
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FourWude

How about adding some dialogue options. You know converse with zombies, maybe try to explain to them that what they're doing is wrong. Get them to be your allies and such. 

Why the need for constant violence? Zombies or as they like to be known as Zombobs, are just like you and me but need brains, just like we need water. It's time to put our zombie prejudices aside and open dialogue. It's what the world needs.... understanding.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

If you played Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, I think it manages to fix, or at least address, a few of the series trademark issues. Personally, I have never minded having to replay sections of the game while retaining my progress, but i know there are many who don't enjoy tihs. Off the Records fun little work around is the Sandbox mode, which shares progress with the core game. I think for many gamers a system like this would be more ideal. Get some levels playing grabass with all the undead in Sandbox, then around level 10 you start the game proper and don't have to see the opening section of the game 97 times.

For me though, I look at the day one repeats as the learning tool to the time management aspects of the game. But the biggest part of Dead Rising's fun for me has always been perfecting my run through the game. I played the first game until running through it perfectly was almost just muscle memory. Of course there weren't as many games out for the 360 and PS3 at the time, so endlessly playing a game that was unlike anything I'd played before was more appealing than it is in a year that sees new Halo, Skyrim, Saints Row, etc. It's not as easy to put that kind of time into one game when there are so many great franchises out there that you want to be a part of. So who knows, maybe a franchise overhaul is in order.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Personally I think the one thing it needs to get rid of is the time management. Grinding and starting the story over is annoying, but nothing is more annoying than being rushed to finish a game.

Ofcourse, then that gets rid of what makes the Deadrising games Deadrising. Just wish they didn't have it in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.