dead space 2 ending (spoilers)

#1 Posted by Cslaw (217 posts) -

So first off dead space 2 is awesome, i think pretty much everyone agrees.  That said, in my opinion, the ending could have been better, Ellie showing up out of no where in the transport to save the day feels like a deus ex machina, which i never liked. In most games now you just don't see the protagonist get killed off at the end. it would be cool to see a game where at the end the  protagonist strait up die, and after the achievement "the ultimate sacrifice" came up i thought that was what was going to happen, so what do you guys think, would it have been a better ending if Isaac died?

#2 Posted by luchadeer797 (294 posts) -

on one hand i liked the ending because of its reference to the first games ending, but on the other hand, i hated it because i felt issac's death was set up perfectly. he accepted his death and was just waiting for it with that somber violin track playing, having ellie just pop outta nowhere just felt completely not needed and a bit of a cop out for another game with issac. the game as a whole though was fucking brilliant.

#3 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -
@twstdsniper said:
" on one hand i liked the ending because of its reference to the first games ending, but on the other hand, i hated it because i felt issac's death was set up perfectly. he accepted his death and was just waiting for it with that somber violin track playing, having ellie just pop outta nowhere just felt completely not needed and a bit of a cop out for another game with issac. the game as a whole though was fucking brilliant. "
Except for the fact that he only found out he was going to die about 5 minutes earlier. Him giving in and just waiting to die after just 5 minutes felt retarded to me. In my opinion, the only good part of the ending was the nod to the ending of DS1, and " Fuck you! And Fuck your Marker!!!"
#4 Posted by GTFan712 (156 posts) -

I enjoyed the ending. As Isaac was accepting his death, with the credits rolling, I set the controller down, thinking it was over. The reference to Dead Space's ending was my favorite part, however. I saw it coming, and pulled my headset away from my ears, anticipating the noise spike. However, I ended up laughing. Good ending, looking forward to where this franchise and story will go. 

#5 Posted by Cslaw (217 posts) -
@TomA said:
" @twstdsniper said:
" on one hand i liked the ending because of its reference to the first games ending, but on the other hand, i hated it because i felt issac's death was set up perfectly. he accepted his death and was just waiting for it with that somber violin track playing, having ellie just pop outta nowhere just felt completely not needed and a bit of a cop out for another game with issac. the game as a whole though was fucking brilliant. "
Except for the fact that he only found out he was going to die about 5 minutes earlier. Him giving in and just waiting to die after just 5 minutes felt retarded to me. In my opinion, the only good part of the ending was the nod to the ending of DS1, and " Fuck you! And Fuck your Marker!!!" "
i actually liked the reference to the first game too, the ending of the first dead space reminded me of alien.
#6 Posted by XenoNick (1450 posts) -
@TomA said:
 " Fuck you! And Fuck your Marker!!!" "
Great line.
I thought the ending was OK. Like the nod to DS1's ending. If they're is a DS3 I dunno if I want Issac to be the lead.

AND NO POKING YOURSELF IN THE EYE WITH A NEEDLE. PLEASE EA!!!!
#7 Posted by Getz (3098 posts) -

There is just no way they'd kill a sequel in the crib by bumping Isaac off. It wouldn't make the game sell better if he dies at the end, so why would they make it harder on themselves to follow it up? I thought the ending was fine, Ellie made perfect sense. In fact, I would be dumbfounded if she DIDN'T show up. I mean, she's a pilot right? How could she not be able to override the controls and come back? She obviously cared for Isaac and had plenty of motivation to try and save him.

#8 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@XenoNick said:
" @TomA said:
 " Fuck you! And Fuck your Marker!!!" "
Great line. I thought the ending was OK. Like the nod to DS1's ending. If they're is a DS3 I dunno if I want Issac to be the lead.  AND NO POKING YOURSELF IN THE EYE WITH A NEEDLE. PLEASE EA!!!! "
I liked that the machine was simply called "The Eye Poke Machine". Assuming the achievement is to believed.

I thought the ending was alright and as most people have said, really liked the DS1 nod.

I gotta say though, maybe its just the fast-paced action and that I missed most of the dialog, but I have no idea what the point of this game was. I will let myself think that it was all about getting the fuck outta there and forget all the Nicole and marker stuff.
#9 Posted by Cslaw (217 posts) -
@Getz: its not a question of if she would show up, what bothers me is when. but i totally agree visceral would not kill off the protagonist of the best/only survival horror series of this generation. 
#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4695 posts) -
#11 Posted by Cslaw (217 posts) -
@Spoonman671: wow i had that game in my gamefly gameq, that will teach me to heed the spoiler warning.
#12 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I wouldn't have wanted him to just die, they need another game because there is a lot stuff left untold about the nature of the markers and the original one. I did like Isaac's attitude saying fuck you and your marker, though.

#13 Posted by dragonzord (823 posts) -
@Cslaw said:
"In most games now you just don't see the protagonist get killed off at the end. 
Uhh.. Yeah you do. If anything, the protagonist dying at the end has been the biggest cliche of 2010 in gaming.
#14 Posted by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

If you thought EA was going to allow the main character in a franchise that I'd imagine has financially exceeded expectations...

#15 Posted by Cslaw (217 posts) -
@zoner: could you throw out some titles, there are a shit ton of games i missed in 2010.
#16 Edited by drgrumbles (211 posts) -
@Cslaw: Red Dead Redemption and Bio Shock 2 are the 2 that come to mind recently.
#17 Posted by Spoonman671 (4695 posts) -
@Cslaw said:
" @Spoonman671: wow i had that game in my gamefly gameq, that will teach me to heed the spoiler warning. "
Yeah, I was second guessing myself about posting it, but I figured the spoiler tag was plenty of warning.  Some lessons are learned the hard way, I guess.
#18 Posted by dragonzord (823 posts) -
@Cslaw said:
" @zoner: could you throw out some titles, there are a shit ton of games i missed in 2010. "
#19 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -
@zoner: Your character does not die in New Vegas. You are thinking of 3.
#20 Posted by marchismo (71 posts) -
@Sasran said: 
I gotta say though, maybe its just the fast-paced action and that I missed most of the dialog, but I have no idea what the point of this game was.
Glad I wasn't the only one!  There were several instances in the game where I looked around and said "wait, why am I even here?"
#21 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1264 posts) -
@marchismo said:
" @Sasran said: 
I gotta say though, maybe its just the fast-paced action and that I missed most of the dialog, but I have no idea what the point of this game was.
Glad I wasn't the only one!  There were several instances in the game where I looked around and said "wait, why am I even here?" "
Subtitles help with the plot a bit. 

Basic plot is...

As for the ending, well I saw it as no different as to some of the jump scares in the game. Just another way for Visceral to go 'Fuck you!' to the player. Mostly I'm thinking of the time where a dead body lands on Isaac and he thrashes around to get the inanimate body off. 

Having said that, I kinda liked it. I'm kinda interested to see if the 'Overseer' figures more prominently in the third game.
#22 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -
@GTFan712 said:
" I enjoyed the ending. As Isaac was accepting his death, with the credits rolling, I set the controller down, thinking it was over. The reference to Dead Space's ending was my favorite part, however. I saw it coming, and pulled my headset away from my ears, anticipating the noise spike. However, I ended up laughing. Good ending, looking forward to where this franchise and story will go.  "
This sums up my feelings spot on. And "The Ultimate Sacrifice"s meaning took on a different definition for me, perhaps the one they intended it to be all along -- He was letting go of Nicole once and for all. Doing so was obviously hard for him, as earlier on he was conflicted with the idea of having to let her go, telling her he couldn't do it because he'd never see her again. *shrugs* Maybe I'm just reading into things too much, but it all worked well for me. 

While Isaac dying would have worked equally well, I'm glad he didn't. There is so much more about the Dead Space universe I want to learn and having Isaac return for three will be awesome.  
#23 Edited by NTM (7479 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they're going to make another Dead Space. The only thing I didn't like about the end was that the Marker wasn't as cool as the Hive Mind, which I really didn't mind too much since overall it was decent enough. I loved that Ellie comes back. I can tell she'll be an important character as the series goes on. If it had ended with Isaac dying I would have been dissapointed. When he sat down and accepted his death, and the credits popped up I said, "Aww, what?" so when she came down I was surprised. It worked very well, because I was really immersed into the experience. I'm expecting there to be another Dead Space so I'm glad it ended the way it did.

#24 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@the_hiro_abides: 
Did they leave out what happens during those three years on purpose? Or did he just create the marker during those three years? Also what does the marker do? Does it make more necromorphs? How does it make them? I think my biggest problem is that I don't know what the marker does. The way I see it is that it makes people make more markers or makes them crazy. But its gotta do more, because having something that just makes more of something that will just make more of something makes no sense.

Anyway, I would appreciate any clarification that anyone could give me.

Also I had the subtitles on as well. Its my own fault I suppose because I was always trying to push forward while trying to read logs/story bits. I say its my own fault because I really prefer the story telling method that this game uses, I like that it lets me learn the back story while playing and not watching long-ass cut scenes. I want more games to use this method, like Bioshock and others that I can't think of right now.
#25 Edited by GTFan712 (156 posts) -
#26 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1264 posts) -
@Sasran said:
" @the_hiro_abides: 
Did they leave out what happens during those three years on purpose? Or did he just create the marker during those three years? Also what does the marker do? Does it make more necromorphs? How does it make them? I think my biggest problem is that I don't know what the marker does. The way I see it is that it makes people make more markers or makes them crazy. But its gotta do more, because having something that just makes more of something that will just make more of something makes no sense.

Anyway, I would appreciate any clarification that anyone could give me.

Also I had the subtitles on as well. Its my own fault I suppose because I was always trying to push forward while trying to read logs/story bits. I say its my own fault because I really prefer the story telling method that this game uses, I like that it lets me learn the back story while playing and not watching long-ass cut scenes. I want more games to use this method, like Bioshock and others that I can't think of right now. "
Well they were pretty vague about the intervening 3 years. Basically the game tells you that Isaac and Stross make the marker. The eye poke machine somehow accesses the marker info in their head. Some scientists work with that info to create the marker. Tiedeman oversees this project while Unitology supports it. 

As for why, well I guess the marker is all about making necromorphs to cause the 'convergence event'. Which I guess is to make more necomorphs or some gigantic one. I get the sense that it's all about devouring things. Kind of like locusts.
#27 Edited by Mayu_Zane (611 posts) -

I liked the ending. Ellie busting in to save Isaac's ass was what I expected someone as tough and stubborn as Ellie to do. It was also a 'reward' of sorts for Isaac: He wasn't able to save Nicole, but he was able to save Ellie, and for that he's been given another chance at life. He could've just brought her along to the Marker, but he decided to try and make sure at least one person survives the madness.

It really doesn't feel like a deus ex machina to me, because considering Ellie's personality and her expertise with machines, I felt there was a strong possibility she would come back. Hell, I half-expected her to show up near the end and blast an army of necromorphs using that gunship. Isaac deserved survival: he's been through so much bullshit while keeping most of his sanity intact and did his best to not become a murderous psychopath.

Well, not to non-necromorphs, anyway.

#28 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@TomA said:
" @twstdsniper said:
Except for the fact that he only found out he was going to die about 5 minutes earlier. Him giving in and just waiting to die after just 5 minutes felt retarded to me. In my opinion, the only good part of the ending was the nod to the ending of DS1, and " Fuck you! And Fuck your Marker!!!" "

He accepted death long before then, around the time he sent Eli off the fist time.
#29 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@GTFan712 said:
" @Sasran: Here's everything you need to know about the Markers.  http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Marker "
Fuckin hell. The marker is sentient? That actually helps explain a lot. I still don't get why it seems to subdue the necromorphs in the first game but not the second. It also seems like a bad idea to put the "DNA code" to create necromorphs on the damn thing.

@the_hiro_abides:
Ah. Tiedeman's role and the Unitology support is good to know in making sense of things.

Thanks to both of you. I feel I have an idea of what is going on. Which is much better then my previous understanding.
#30 Posted by GTFan712 (156 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:  He accepted death long before then, around the time he sent Eli off the fist time. "

This.
#31 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Someone explain to me why the Marker gave Isaac the power to destroy it.

#32 Posted by GTFan712 (156 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: Because he created it.
#33 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@GTFan712 said:
" @LordXavierBritish: Because he created it. "
That doesn't explain anything.
#34 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MARKER

#35 Posted by rem25 (29 posts) -

I certainly can't wait for DS3.  I know this would never happen, but considering there are at least 11 markers out there, it'd be great for part of the game if Isaac could pilot a gunship and blow a lot of shit up.  I know EA will probably not go for that at all since the game is pretty linear but still, it'd be interesting.

#36 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

Though, perhaps ironically, I didn't care much for the DS1 reference, I loved the ending. Mostly because (a) I felt Isaac still had too large a role to fulfill to die there, (b) it made a stronger character of Ellie, and of course (c) surely this means more Dead Space!

#37 Posted by mcwingstar (76 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" Someone explain to me why the Marker gave Isaac the power to destroy it. "
I was thinking the same thing. The Nicole/Marker character didn't need to tell him how to destroy the marker, just to bring him in and try to kill him... 
#38 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@alex_the_javo said:
" @LordXavierBritish said:
" Someone explain to me why the Marker gave Isaac the power to destroy it. "
I was thinking the same thing. The Nicole/Marker character didn't need to tell him how to destroy the marker, just to bring him in and try to kill him...  "
It was the telepathic link. The markers only real power is telepathic. When the marker entered his mind to kill him. He turned that link around and destroyed the marker. The marker can only kill someone when they are that close. Since over the game he slowly became immune to its effects. So he had to be closer so it could use more power over him. 
#39 Edited by kingcopper (46 posts) -

I thought the Marker was using Isaac so it could complete itself, as there was a part of itself in Isaacs brain that it didn't have. That's why you do the needle in the eye. Then it wanted to kill him when he was no longer needed. 

#40 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

I'm a huge Dead Space fan, have everythingbexcept the book, and I thought Issac accepting death as the credits were going was perfect... Than it was a cliche action movie and Issac had to esacpe. I would of liked it if he died and you played as Ellie in the 3rd game.

#41 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" Than it was a cliche action movie and Issac had to esacpe. I would of liked it if he died and you played as Ellie in the 3rd game. "
Is that cliche in comparison to the rest of the game where he's tearing off limbs without giving a fuck like a cliche action hero?
#42 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
" Than it was a cliche action movie and Issac had to esacpe. I would of liked it if he died and you played as Ellie in the 3rd game. "
Is that cliche in comparison to the rest of the game where he's tearing off limbs without giving a fuck like a cliche action hero? "
Exactly. I'm saying they could have done something different at the end and thrown us for a loop. 
#43 Posted by Diabloshadow (263 posts) -
@RE_Player92: It would be cool but you have to remember the business side of this. They spent so much time building up Issac as the big hero it would be quite counter productive to all their ad campaigns to kill him off before they do their big third installment, finish the story stuff. 
#44 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -
@Diabloshadow: Yes and no. I don't think Issac is the face of Dead Space, his suit is. Like in the Severed dlc, still haven't played it yet, Gabe is in a suit that looks like Issac's. They could easily have someone else in a suit and still retain all the Dead Space fans in my opinion. 
#45 Posted by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

In my opinion, they should of left it when Isaac just sat there with all hope gone and the station crumbling around him. Then it would be even more awesome when you hear that last voice over at the end, talking about the other marker on a different station. It would leave you with a gigantic cliff hanger and wonder what the hell is gonna happen next.

#46 Posted by Diabloshadow (263 posts) -
@RE_Player92: I would have agreed with you, until I played the game. The amount of times through that game you see his face and the things he goes through really do make it all Issac's story. Ellie in Issac's suit finishing off Dead Space 3 might still happen and would be an absolutely awesome twist. While protagonists dying has occurred a couple times now, I don't think any game has truly done the main character dying and then his fight being carried out by another character. Other than RDR this year nothing really comes to mind.
#47 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

I swear to god if they had killed Ellie I would have been piiiiissed. Chick was badass. And hot. I'm really glad they didn't kill her off.
I liked the ending a lot, the boss fight was a frustrating pain in the ass though. I played the whole goddamn game through on Survivalist without switching down until the very end. I just got annoyed with the swarming shadow babies and wanted to see the ending so I bumped it down to Normal. My load out wasn't geared too well to constant assault from all sides like that with the amount of ammo I had left. 
That being said I liked what they did with it and I'm glad they didn't kill Isaac off. That would have been crazy, him having a voice and a personality was one of the new features and to establish his character just to kill him would have been silly imo.
Looking forward to 3. I'm pretty interested to find out who "The Black One" is.

#48 Posted by bybeach (4898 posts) -

Don't you talk bad about my Ellie. Damned near in luv.... 

And to be honest, the end did not bother me. He had saved Ellie's nearly beautifuly curved as Miranda's rear end. Well if you looked twice. But there is another thing. I knew the game was setting her up by sticking her with with that fuckhead Stross, or more specifically, Issac was because of what Stross knew. Before I even saw the first time what was to unfold I was already screaming at Ellie to kill him, and I was nearly disavowing Issac. I liked her spirit and felt sorry for what she had already been through. Issac had his reasons but Stross, maybe origonally he wasn't a bad guy, but long before he got aggressive he was acting like a dick, not wanting to help and making Ellie do the work. Asshole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.