Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Dead Space and hope for Lovecraftian gaming

ZAPBoston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZAPBoston

(minor spoilers ahead) 

I'm a big fan of the Dead Space franchise. I know it isn't perfect and some have argued it's a pastiche of other ideas or games (John Carpenters' Thing, James Cameron's Aliens, Event Horizon, etc.) but I think it's assembled well enough and adds enough of a new angle to be refreshing and enjoyable.  It also has a lot of Lovecraftian elements to the story that I really would like to see explored more in video games: 

• Sanity and the idea that the protagonist isn't psychologically immune to the horror around him. I know some people didn't like the Nicole sections - I thought they were well done. 
    • Forbidden knowledge and that forbidden knowledge can have an physical impact on the world. What's interesting about Dead Space 2 is that the original Marker is destroyed in Dead Space 1 but the knowledge of the Marker and the knowledge transmitted by the Marker into Isaac is so powerful that it can corrupt the Sprawl and it's inhabitants. I mean - unless i missed something - they didn't recover any elements of the original marker in the Ishimura or on  Aegis 7. So they reconstructed the Marker or rather the Marker via Isaac influenced the EarthGov to reconstruct it - but even a duplicate marker had the same power as the original marker just because of the markings and inscriptions added to it. 
    • Hapless cults that seek forbidden knowledge for their own personal gain without fully understanding the dangers or consequences. 
    • Cover-ups by the Government to suppress  the truth of the danger from the population 
    I'm especially excited because I feel that the success of Dead Space might lead other developers to add more Lovecraftian elements into their game design. For a major horror author and an inspiration for a lot of the elements of the modern horror genre, you'd think Lovecraft material would be used more often in games. I remember playing  Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem  and   Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Then there seemed to be nothing for a while and lately we've had the well received  Alan Wake  Amnesia: The Dark Descent and of course Dead Space 2.  

I'd love to see a straight Lovecraft game in the period of most of this work (1900-1930's) but Dead Space definitely proves you can adapt a lot of these Lovecraftian elements effectively into other game scenarios. Maybe this upcoming Guillermo del Toro will be another great Lovecraftian game.  
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wrighteous86
    JaroLeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JaroLeman

I'm playing DeadSpace2 at the moment and have reached chapter 8 (I think). I'm 31 and have been crying out for an "adult" game for the last few years now. I've also read a fair amount of Lovecraft and agree with some of the comparisons your draw ZapBoston. I enjoy the style abd hope for more "unspeakable horror" !

Good Post well written

Kudos

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Well, Guillermo Del Toro is making a Lovecraftian horror game, isn't he? I forgot what it's called, though.

periscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By periscope
    @digitalsea87:  'Insane'

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.