Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Enjoy In Moderation

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

As blog titles go, I thought that one was pretty good. 

No Caption Provided
    Well, most of you have probably seen the little red sticker under my name that let's people know that I am one of the two new Giant Bomb moderators. I'm both honoured and excited to be part of such a hard-working team and look forward to laying waste to whatever troll or spammer dares to venture out into the open. I always had a deep appreciation for how much the mod team did behind the scenes and now that I am, myself, behind those scenes my mind is continually being blown as to exactly how much work these individuals put in to keep Giant Bomb the best place on the internet.

I had probably better leave it at that before MB catches me and brings out he gimp again :(  

And so, on to videogames! 

It is taking me a ridiculous amount of time to play through Dead Space 2 and there has been large doses of speculation as to why that may be. It might be because the world in which Isaac Clark lives is so beautifully fleshed out that I am continually distracted by the detail and life that has gone into making the Sprawl such a complete entity. On more than one occasion I found myself pausing to listen, with a morbid curiosity, to the screams erupting from the other side of a door. It is widely understood that, when it comes to horror, it's what remains unseen that haunts us the most, and Dead Space 2 has the most masterful grip of this concept I have ever experienced. The game is just wonderfully creative with features that other games simply take for granted or dismiss - things like lighting and sound, which are frequently slapped on as a secondary means to reflect actions the player is performing, actually direct the pace of the game in Dead Space 2. The resulting atmosphere is incredible. 

However I realistically appreciate that the reason Dead Space 2 is taking me so long to play is because I am, in fact, a fucking pussy

The practice of actually playing the game usually involves me slowly edging towards a door, clicking the [OPEN] button, then frantically backpeddaling with my gun raised. I usually repeat this two or three times just to make sure there is nothing scary on the other side. I learned my lessons from the original Dead Space. This franchise takes pleasure in fucking with your preconceptions of how a videogame works.  

"Nothing can attack me while i'm in this safe roo-OH GOD HOW DID THAT THING GET IN HERE!!"

Yep, I learned my lesson and I learned it good. If there is a necromorph already lying on the floor then it's probably still alive. You see those wall vents? Bad shit is probably going to come out of those. If there is a lull in the music then RELOAD. And most importantly - never assume you are safe. Ever

It's this constant manipulation of it's players that makes Dead Space 2 so consistently terrifying.

As soon as you think you've got the game figured out it drops you in a unique set-piece that defies any pattern you assumed had been established. You think because you have a rocket launcher you are safe now? Ok, well let's see what you do when we drop an enemy on you in an elevator that's only 6 square ft across, genius. Or how about we make you crawl through a pipe and stick the camera right behind your head so you cant see shit. Or how about we just leave you in a straight jacket with no guns and no health.

Dude, fuck that game.

But in the best possible way

That's about it, really. I handed in a university assignment on Friday and, in true student fashion, got completely wrecked afterwards. Oh, and I watched Summer Wars again, which is a truly incredible film and I urge you to go check it out. There is a great review up on Screened, which is how I discovered the film in the first place.  

Oh, and apparently there's a superbowl happening? Some people are excited about this. I am not one of them.

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

As blog titles go, I thought that one was pretty good. 

No Caption Provided
    Well, most of you have probably seen the little red sticker under my name that let's people know that I am one of the two new Giant Bomb moderators. I'm both honoured and excited to be part of such a hard-working team and look forward to laying waste to whatever troll or spammer dares to venture out into the open. I always had a deep appreciation for how much the mod team did behind the scenes and now that I am, myself, behind those scenes my mind is continually being blown as to exactly how much work these individuals put in to keep Giant Bomb the best place on the internet.

I had probably better leave it at that before MB catches me and brings out he gimp again :(  

And so, on to videogames! 

It is taking me a ridiculous amount of time to play through Dead Space 2 and there has been large doses of speculation as to why that may be. It might be because the world in which Isaac Clark lives is so beautifully fleshed out that I am continually distracted by the detail and life that has gone into making the Sprawl such a complete entity. On more than one occasion I found myself pausing to listen, with a morbid curiosity, to the screams erupting from the other side of a door. It is widely understood that, when it comes to horror, it's what remains unseen that haunts us the most, and Dead Space 2 has the most masterful grip of this concept I have ever experienced. The game is just wonderfully creative with features that other games simply take for granted or dismiss - things like lighting and sound, which are frequently slapped on as a secondary means to reflect actions the player is performing, actually direct the pace of the game in Dead Space 2. The resulting atmosphere is incredible. 

However I realistically appreciate that the reason Dead Space 2 is taking me so long to play is because I am, in fact, a fucking pussy

The practice of actually playing the game usually involves me slowly edging towards a door, clicking the [OPEN] button, then frantically backpeddaling with my gun raised. I usually repeat this two or three times just to make sure there is nothing scary on the other side. I learned my lessons from the original Dead Space. This franchise takes pleasure in fucking with your preconceptions of how a videogame works.  

"Nothing can attack me while i'm in this safe roo-OH GOD HOW DID THAT THING GET IN HERE!!"

Yep, I learned my lesson and I learned it good. If there is a necromorph already lying on the floor then it's probably still alive. You see those wall vents? Bad shit is probably going to come out of those. If there is a lull in the music then RELOAD. And most importantly - never assume you are safe. Ever

It's this constant manipulation of it's players that makes Dead Space 2 so consistently terrifying.

As soon as you think you've got the game figured out it drops you in a unique set-piece that defies any pattern you assumed had been established. You think because you have a rocket launcher you are safe now? Ok, well let's see what you do when we drop an enemy on you in an elevator that's only 6 square ft across, genius. Or how about we make you crawl through a pipe and stick the camera right behind your head so you cant see shit. Or how about we just leave you in a straight jacket with no guns and no health.

Dude, fuck that game.

But in the best possible way

That's about it, really. I handed in a university assignment on Friday and, in true student fashion, got completely wrecked afterwards. Oh, and I watched Summer Wars again, which is a truly incredible film and I urge you to go check it out. There is a great review up on Screened, which is how I discovered the film in the first place.  

Oh, and apparently there's a superbowl happening? Some people are excited about this. I am not one of them.

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The superbowl thing is over now. And the Packers won!!!! WOOOOOOH!!!!!! PACKERS!!!!!!!!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @MattyFTM: wooo. 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

Silly Sweep, you don't have time to blog, your a moderator now, all you do is serious business, right?

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Nice blog. I was entertained enough to read through. Congrats btw.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is Isaac being attacked by fetus zombies? Full-grown abortions that came back from the dead for revenge?

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benpack

Another great blog, Sweep!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Grats on the mod status. 

As for Dead Space 2, I'm on playthrough #3 now.  Going for Zealot difficulty one last time before I hit up the Hardcore playthrough.  A lot of people have complained that Dead Space showed them how to "play" a Dead Space game, which has made some of the jump scares and such simply too easy to predict.  As someone who played the first game through six times (well, I'm on the sixth one right now), it's safe and easy to say that Dead Space 2 takes what you know about how a Dead Space game plays out and then fucks with you on it.  Sure, you know that pressing a switch might lead to an onslaught of enemies, but when it doesn't, that's what REALLY scares you.  You don't know WHAT is going to happen. 

The atmosphere is DEFINITELY premium quality as the first game was.  Have you made it to Chapter 10/11/12 yet?  That's where the best part was for me.  If you haven't, let's just say that familiarity with the first Dead Space is VERY helpful...and kind of makes for a much cooler experience. 

Also, if you are curious about the fiction behind Dead Space, I've been writing a blog series about the fiction that basically summarizes many of the major events within the 300 years worth of fiction that the franchise has fleshed out.  If you don't feel like spending upwards of about $400 for all that shit, I'd suggest checking it out.  Hell yes, I just whored my own blog on your blog.  Don't ban me.  T_T 

So...do you plan on a Hardcore playthrough?

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By benpack

Oh shit, I get it.
    Moderation.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Pepsiman

I'm probably biased to begin with, but you're a good person for recognizing the existence of Summer Wars. A shame that it's not even getting recognition in this year's Oscars. But ah well.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Voxatron

Congrats again Sweep, great blog post!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By buzz_clik

I still don't have a copy of Dead Space 2... poo.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
    @buzz_clik said:
    " I still don't have a copy of Dead Space 2... poo. "
    That actually DOES make you a bad person, buzz.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Is Isaac being attacked by fetus zombies? Full-grown abortions that came back from the dead for revenge? "
    You mean like Justin Beiber? No, I don't think so. 
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
    @jakob187 said:
    " @buzz_clik said:
    That actually DOES make you a bad person, buzz. "
    Well, it's not the only contributing factor, but it's definitely in the mix. 

In other news, I want to play Dead Space 2 so freakin' hard.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Sweep: 

Given that Justin Bieber is what happens when a mother schedules an abortion nine months too late, I don't think he counts.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @jakob187 said:
    " @buzz_clik said:
    That actually DOES make you a bad person, buzz. "
    I was just about to type this. 

In reply to your previous question Jakob, yes I intend to play through on Hardcore and Zealot. I spent all my money on alcohol so i'm not going to be able to get any new games for a while. Dead Space 2 is now my primary concern. Also I don't mind you plugging your blog on my blog so long as I can plug my blog on your blog. 

I don't really want to do that, I just like saying plug. Plug.  

^___^
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Gabriel

Dead Space 2 is pretty fucking amazing.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beej
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Silly Sweep, you don't have time to blog, your a moderator now, all you do is serious business, right? "
    If making sweep a moderator means that he doesn't contribute anymore then I will retract my claim that it was a good thing. 
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By MrGetBonus
    @jakob187:  That is what I am really loving about Dead Space 2 right now. There was a certain part that happened during the beginning that caught me off guard and got me real good. After that, I was expecting it to happen again and again every time I was in a similar situation, but it never happened. I always had my gun out in preparation for something that wasn't going to occur. This game keeps up the tension more by what it doesn't do.
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Helimocopter
    @Video_Game_King:  im pretty sure the are adolescens, they just all happen to be naked and turned bone white, and have the same part of their face ripped off
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Helimocopter: 

So they are Justin Bieber?
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By End_Boss

I was here.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Helimocopter
    @Video_Game_King: 
    pretty much, yeah
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#25  Edited By jacksukeru

Funny thing, I can remember several times when I was surprised to realize you weren't a mod. Those days are gone I guess. 

Also, I wanna see Summer Wars :<  (DS 2 seems pretty cool too).

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

I'm expecting a Sweep of the forums daily. I'm still waiting for Dead Space 2. My bad...sorry.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
    @Sweep said:
    "I don't mind you plugging your blog on my blog so long as I can plug my blog on your blog.  I don't really want to do that, I just like saying plug. Plug.    ^___^ "
    Well, now that you're a moderator, I don't think I really get an option on whether you want to "plug" your "blog" in my "blog".  It's more like some forceful form of... 

...oh wait, this is all too soon after the Penny Arcade controversy, isn't it?  Nevermind.  I digress.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By wefwefasdf

I've been wanting to watch Summer Wars but it doesn't come out until the 15th on Bluray. How were you able to watch it, Sweep?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @SpikeSpiegel: My housemate has a copy. I don't know where he got it and I don't particularly want to ask :S
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Saw Summer Wars and didn't like it. I'm quickly becoming Pauline Kael when it comes to my movie preferences. Also to the people who are disappointed that it didn't get nominated for an Oscar...come on really?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @ZombiePie said:
    " Saw Summer Wars and didn't like it. I'm quickly becoming Pauline Kael when it comes to my movie preferences. Also to the people who are disappointed that it didn't get nominated for an Oscar...come on really? "
    What didn't you like about it? I thought it looked incredible, and I really liked how mundane it felt whilst being full of action and character. It was a nice compromise to the usual talking animal "Spirited Away" type stuff.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
    @Sweep said:

" @ZombiePie said:

" Saw Summer Wars and didn't like it. I'm quickly becoming Pauline Kael when it comes to my movie preferences. Also to the people who are disappointed that it didn't get nominated for an Oscar...come on really? "
    What didn't you like about it? I thought it looked incredible, and I really liked how mundane it felt whilst being full of action and character. It was a nice compromise to the usual talking animal "Spirited Away" type stuff. "
     It ventures into territory both melodramatic and corny. I found it visually impress but narratively convoluted and poorly structured. The movie was good at being silly but terrible at being suspenseful. The first movement was also too jittery, but maybe that's just me.

That and it was way out of my spectrum of movie tastes. I should also say that I didn't like Scott Pilgrim for almost the same exact reasons.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By yoshimitz707

I don't what it is about Dead Space 2 but I'm not finding it very scary. Which is really strange because I get scared by anything that's supposed to be scary.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By PerryVandell

Nice blog, and congrats on the mod status! I'm on my 2nd playthrough of Dead Space 2 on Hardcore and it's... well, an experience to say the least. Saved on chapter 5 and I'm going to try and make it to chapter 11 without saving. If playing Dead Space 2 on normal doesn't get your blood pumping, Hardcore will certainly do the trick--unless you're dead in which case nothing will get your blood pumping.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By danielkempster

Back when I wrote that poem for my Christmas Mega-Blog, I originally tried to work in some GB user-based meals. I got as far as putting Hamz and ZombiePie on the menu, but couldn't feasibly pass off any other mods as food items. As a consequence, I had to drop a line about enjoying the food in moderation. As I'm sure you can imagine, I was fuming

As for Dead Space 2, I am so stoked to play that game. Unfortunately, though, my girlfriend has forbidden me from buying it until she's finished her dissertation, lest it sucks her in and distracts her from the task at hand. Roll on March 1st is all I can say.

Congrats on your modship, Sweep. I trust you'll do a great job of keeping these here forums free from trolls, irrelevant posts, and viagra advertisements

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Red12b
    @dankempster said:
    " Sweep. I trust you'll do a great job of keeping these here forums free from trolls, irrelevant posts, and viagra advertisements "
    No no...the viagra ads can stay...
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Ghostiet
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    " I don't what it is about Dead Space 2 but I'm not finding it very scary. Which is really strange because I get scared by anything that's supposed to be scary. "
    Same here. It's fun to play and creates an uneasy, tense, a bit paranoid atmosphere, but it's not scary.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#38  Edited By sarahsdad
    @Ghostiet said:
    " @yoshimitz707 said:
    " I don't what it is about Dead Space 2 but I'm not finding it very scary. Which is really strange because I get scared by anything that's supposed to be scary. "
    Same here. It's fun to play and creates an uneasy, tense, a bit paranoid atmosphere, but it's not scary. "
    I don't remember where, but I've heard a comparison that says Dead Space 2 is like Aliens was to the original Alien movie. One of them was essentially a haunted house story, the other more of an action movie with monsters. 
    So far I'm finding that an accurate comparison. 

Also, on general play style, I find that when I walk into a room in DS2, I shoot every body I can see at least once, just to make sure it's not playing possum. 
    Also, I stomp almost everything I kill. Just to be sure.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince

Hey man, congratulations.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By Tireyo

I ain't any one of them who's excited either.
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jim_dandy

The original Dead Space is too scary for me to play.

Also, now that you're a mod:

I love you, Sweep.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @jim_dandy: It's cool that you can admit that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.