Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Favorite Weapon?

• 52 results
    regularname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regularname

Not sure if it's too soon for these sorts of posts, but anyone find anything beyond the plasma cutter(s) outstanding yet?

I know I found the line cutter and contact beam amazing in the original dead space. And eventually (once I was just fooling around) I really started enjoying the ripper.  So far I haven't done anything beyond upgrading the starting gun to max, and I feel dumb just investing in the same weapons again, but the ripper and line cutter are calling to me from the store. 

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By PixelPrinny

I'm liking the Seeker Rifle a lot. It can take things out pretty quickly without having to worry about severing limbs, though it's pretty useless for close-range combat.

regularname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By regularname

Yeah the seeker struck me as odd since I felt like dead space had mostly close range enemies to deal with. I did like the ability to zoom in though.

I tried out the ripper and noticed the regular fire has the blade hover MUCH closer to you then the last game. This is probably good since the last game had the problem of the enemy getting between you and the blade, but It also makes using it more of an 'OH SHIT I'M SURROUND HACKHACKHACK' use. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I really need to get something to use on those little tiny ones. They were just as annoying in the first game and the regular cutter is terrible against them.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm a force gun fan.  I like to let them get real close then hit them center mass and watch as all their limbs fly off.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Mystyr_E

Javelin gun. 

You could do it with a severed arm sure but I just love shooting a guy then flying right across the screen and hitting a wall

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DrHawking

The fully upgraded force gun is amazing. Great crowd control for later on in the game and it tears single necros to shreds.

regularname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By regularname

I ended up going with my old standbys from dead space 1 - line gun and contact beam.  I guess I'm just boring and stick with what I'm used too :p.  I still have the 2 plasma cutters for my other 2 slots because I like having double ammo readily available, but I'll probably trade that out next.

So far I'm kinda meh on line cutter - useful, but takes a few too many shots even with it fully upgraded. Contact beam is sick though.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By falserelic

I like the contact beam,because its so beautiful when I kill necros with it. 

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Sarumarine

The Ripper is so good. Remote Control circular saws! Since most Necromorphs like to get in close, it's great to launch a blade and hack down three or four of those things. It decimates the children Necromorphs since they die so easily. You can cut down whole packs of them with one blade and save yourself tons of ammo.

I also have to mention the Contact Beam, which is apparently so powerful the game doesn't even bother listing how much damage it does. Take a look. Other guns have the "damage" stat you can upgrade with nodes. The Contact Beam doesn't even have one. Plus, charging up and then blowing a Necromorph into pieces is glorious. My game also has a quirk where it drops more Contact Beam ammo than Plasma Cutter rounds, which seems kind of broken but awesome.

Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
    TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll

The Force Gun is a game changer.  I use the Plasma Cutter as my main gun, for strategic dismember as I assume most players do.  But when things get tense, like when multiple children start coming at you, the force beam completely shuts the room down.  I haven't upgraded it, but I haven't need to yet.  It also destroys the necromorph raptor things, use main fire to knock them down and then alt fire to completely destroy them.  Can't wait to see it upgraded.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I've only used about half of the weapons so far, but the Plasma Cutter is number one for me. Seeker Rifle being a close second.

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By megasoum

I used the plasma cutter a lot but I ended up using the Plasma Rifle for most of my playthrough (and a LOT more than in the first game). It's also the only weapon I upgraded fully (only 2-3 nodes missing for the cutter). The spinning secondary was useless in the first game but the grenade launcher is awesome in DS2. 

Also, I always kept a couple of rounds for the force gun just for the "AOE" fights. One pull on the trigger and you pretty much kill a whole swarm of the little things.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

The hand cannon.  
    Every other answer is invalid. 
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Afroman269

Forever and always, the plasma cutter. The ripper is a close second.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Getz
    @regularname: use the force gun on the little ones, it'll one-shot them if you have it upgraded. 

My favorite's the contact beam. Watching those tough enemies' limbs go flying off in all directions with one shot is a great power trip.
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By kerse

I love that everyone has a different choice, they did a great job making these weapons. 

Force Gun all day every day.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuCTR

The Pulse Rifle, because it's alt fire is pretty much the most badass thing that has ever been done.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By linkster7

I still like my line gun, but I was surprised how much I liked the Detonator. 

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Haru48: 
    Isn't the Pulse Rifle's alt just a grenade? I never found it useful to waste 25 rounds with it. Not trying to invalidate your choice, just sayin'.

NOTE: I played on Survivalist difficulty. 
    As for myself I stayed far away from anything I didn't know was useful. I tried the Javelin and didn't care for it and decided to go with:
    Plasma Cutter - Never had ammo for it and didn't use it often but it seemed reliable enough.
    Line Gun - This was my personal favourite. A well placed shot would take out both legs and sometimes kill it outright, and the mine (which only cost one rack) was useful if I accidentally popped a fat dude or had a stasis lamp catch a bunch of guys (Even so, I rarely used alt-fire very often with any gun aside from the Plasma Cutter). It would also kill the Stalkers one hit if I hit them well enough, which I usually did. It was also useful if I was surprised by something as it would cripple it, leaving me time to think.
    Pulse Rifle - Super useful for small enemies and also pretty good at breaking limbs. I would find myself equipping this by default because it was so versatile.
    Contact Beam - Pretty much the reason I was able to beat the game. Killed the black necromorphs one hit when the other guns were just useless.

I am going back through the game so I can try the different guns but my first play through was tough and it wasn't a good idea to experiment.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By big_jon
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:

" The hand cannon.  Every other answer is invalid.  "

You have to possess that in order for that to be your answer.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @big_jon said:
    "@Bloodgraiv3 said:

You have to possess that in order for that to be your answer. "

And I do possess it.
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:
    " @big_jon said:
    "@Bloodgraiv3 said:

And I do possess it. "
    Are you truly the Batman? Only he could over come Hardcore.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @Sasran said:
    " @Bloodgraiv3 said:
    " @big_jon said:
    "@Bloodgraiv3 said:

And I do possess it. "
    Are you truly the Batman? Only he could over come Hardcore. "

What do you think? :) 

and it takes a lot of time...and patience -.-
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MiniPato

Aside from the trusty old plasma cutter? The force gun. Best shot gun in any game ever. It's useful for knocking back enemies if you're backed into a corner and need breathing room. Great for taking out those leech things that pop out of pregnants too. I found myself using the mine layer more than I thought I would. I typically don't like those kind of weapons, but I like the security it provides. Like putting a mine behind you in case an enemy pops out of a vent behind you or something. I used the pulse rifle more than I did in the first game, but mostly because I like the sound of it. Never used the grenade on it. 

I haven't used the line gun, contact beam, ripper, or flamethrower yet. I like the wide shot the line gun provides, but it's secondary fire is so damn useless since the bomb takes ages to explode when necros close in so fast. If there was another gun that needed a change in alt fire, it's the line gun. The ripper in the first game was okay, but there was always a gap between you and the blade which made it useless one enemies got by. Seems they addressed this problem. Might try it out.

Zanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zanda

Nearly finished my first playthrough, of course I haven't found a weapon for every situation, but the plasma cutter is seemingly the most versatile. I'm lovin' the seeker rifle, with fully upgraded stasis, I freeze any necros, and carefully pick off each limb. Especially good agains't the black necros and stalkers. Of course it is pretty hopeless against a close combat pack, but then I just whip out the ripper and saw all their limbs off. 

I love the sounds. :D

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuCTR
    @Sasran:  Oh, woops I was thinking of Dead Space 1. It's weird because in the original, the Force Gun had that ability, but switched it out for 2. I was thinking of the move where Isaac holds the gun over his head and sprays a volley of shots in all directions.
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Edwardryu
    @Mystyr_E: yeah, I like it a lot. it's kind of self satisfaction after seeing these necros on the wall. it's just awesome. it works for most necro. but it won't work with brute, tripod, guardian, divider. after beating the game, I have tried fully upgraded for javalin gun on my second play nowadays.
    perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By perilator666

my entire first playthrough i used the plasma cutter exclusively without actually thinking about it. i've started using other weapons in my new game+ but plasma cutter is definitly still my favorite. 

no trophy for only using the plasma cutter makes me sad.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Slaker117

Seeker rifle is pretty fun. Nice to have a weapon that is actually a weapon.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Pie

Im surprised barely anyone's mentioned the javelin gun. When I got that and looked at its special upgrade I began spending nearly all my nodes on getting it. It gives the alt fire (electrocutes last javelin) an explosive affect which kills any enemy and hurts surrounding others. Plus you don't have to be aiming at the dude to do the alt fire, you just need to shoot them once and then you can run away and use the alt fire killing them. Slo mo shooting a raptors head with it in stasis and then electrocuting it and finally watching it blow up is pretty awesome 

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Slaker117
    @Pie:  That sounds pretty awesome. Never played around with the javelins though. I have a bad habit of min/maxing my way through games. I've beat DS2 three times and probably used the plasma cutter for 90% of that playtime.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Chop

The Mine gun 

That thing made the game a lot less painful and annoying for me. 90% of the time when I died it was from getting spit on or something from behind. That gun helped take that number down drastically. 

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Mr_Skeleton: 
    Holy shit! That is so amazing! PEW PEW!

I need to beat hardcore now.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Yanngc33

the one that came with the collector's edition (the heretic rifle i think its called) it rips everything and anything that is in front of you into tiny little bits and has an alt fire that fires a bad ass beam of deadly bleu light

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Donos

All in all, I have to go with the Javelin gun. It's great for single enemies, it can lock people in place, it deals AoE damage. Aside from QTEs, it's great.

suntone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By suntone

Plasma Cutter as my primary and Line Gun as secondary, about half way through and haven't purchased any other guns.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Line Gun got me through so much stupid shit. 

So much stupid fucking regenerative shit.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Sooperspy

Plasma cutter and the javelin gun.

GTFan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GTFan712

Probably the Pulse Rifle. It was my go-to gun for a majority of the game, although I ended up modding the Plasma Cutter the most. Other than that, I kept the Line Gun handy for the supers, and the Javelin Gun because it was there and I though it would be cool. Never used it, until I hit the final boss and didn't have any ammo left for any of my other guns. The Alt-Fire took out the Shadow Pack fairly well. Saved my ass. Will try all the other weapons in my next playthrough.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pwnasaurus

honestly the ripper is too good but just for fun load up a save when you are about to fight a bunch of children and just melee them to death its wonderful.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42  Edited By JTB123

Ripper for me, same as in the first game. The Javelin Gun is a close second though.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By Mezmero

The ripper was my favorite in the first game and it still is.  Not only is it useful in close quarters but with the right upgrade path it becomes the most ammo efficient weapon in the whole game.  How can anyone not love sawing necromorphs into a dozen pieces?

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Waffles13

This is actually a surprisingly hard choice. It's probably a toss up between the Contact Beam and the Ripper. The alt-fire-with special on the CB is insane for the end game crowds. And I hated the Ripper in the first game but it's nuts for when you're backed into a corner and need to cut your way out. I also really like the Javelin Gun for its alt-fire, but that's more for fun than functionality.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Obsidian

I really wanted to like the force gun, I really did.  But even fully upgraded it takes far too many blasts to kill the stronger necromorphs and the alt-fire is basically just a weaker version of the seeker rifle.  I used the seeker rifle a lot near the end because it only takes two shots to kill even most of the tougher enemies and has perfect accuracy.

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DeadDorf

I love using the Javelin gun and then electrocuting / exploding the necromorph. You need to get the upgrade nodes all the way to the "special" one, though.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By handlas

2nd playthrough I've finally bought some weapons insead of only using the Plasma Cutter.

I really like the Seeker Rifle.  Don't really have to worry about dismemberment and instead just hope your one shot kills them....at least on casual.  Aiming is more important with that gun and I like it.

Worst flamethrower ever....again.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sixghost

Isaac's foot.

DIE DIE DIE MOTHER FUCKERRRRRRRREFJEKFJK. Seriously though, the stomp is so amazing in this game, it was practically an invitation to get ripped to shreds in the first one, but you can seriously fuck things up once they're on the ground.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Edwardryu

I think that combination with force gun and seeke rifle is pretty awesome. literally, it is easy kill.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mowgers

Contact beam. If you let them get too close for you to charge the shot, you have failed as a person.  Ripper is also fun but I'd prefer it if it were less of a gun, more of a chainfist.

And yeah, plasma cutter, obvs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.