Hamst3r's Dead Space 2 playthrough. :)

• 79 results
#1 Edited by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -

Duders! Dead Space 2! Necromorphs!

Dead Space 2 is a game in which you play as a dude and your face is occasionally ingested by creatures. I have witnessed this. Also, lasers.

Part 1 of 12

Part 2 of 12

Part 3 of 12

Part 4 of 12

Part 5 of 12

Part 6 of 12

Part 7 of 12

Part 8 of 12

Part 9 of 12

Part 10 of 12

Part 11 of 12

Part 12 of 12

Enjoy. :)  

P.S., some bonus fun, here's a piece of terrible fan art I drew prior to the game arriving:

Adventures in fan art

P.P.S. some more bonus stuff:

The Collector's Edition

#2 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

Wow, looking forward to seeing your playthrough once I get a copy of my own.

#3 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

Ugh, two of my favorite LPers (Tobuscus and yourself) are both doing a LP of this game. I want to watch them soo bad, but I want to experience the game for myself at first. 
Maybe when I've gone and beat it, I'll give your LP a watch. Have fun playing it! I personally can't wait to start it, and I'm excited about all the wonderful things I've been hearing about it. Even though I've tried to "media blackout" this game. There were some trailers I couldn't resist watching. 

#4 Posted by Weltal (2276 posts) -

Yes! Finally, a new play through, bout damn time!

#5 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -

Thanks, ya'll. :3

@Weltal: *highfive*

#6 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Nothing frightens Isaac Clark more than baby giraffes, NOTHING. 
I now fully understand why that doctor cut his throat out like that. No human being could look Issac in the eyes and tell him about the Necromorph baby giraffes he would have to fight.

#7 Posted by AlisterCat (5728 posts) -

It must be really hard work being that handsome and talented all the time.

#8 Posted by Sarumarine (2305 posts) -

Awesome! Dead Space 2 playthrough! This game starts raw. I admit, it was nice to see I wasn't the only one who died in the very beginning running around with the straight jacket on. Did you only die once? Or did you edit those deaths out?

#9 Posted by Wunder_ (1171 posts) -

God Hamst3r. You're awesome.

#10 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

Just finished watching the first episode, and as much as I don't want to spoil it for myself I'll be watching your playthrough without a doubt.

#11 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

If this goes anything like your Amnesia playthrough went, I look forward to your terror.

#12 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -

I wish I had got the Hamst3r head preorder bonus for Dead Space 2.

Looking forward to watching this.

#13 Posted by dudeglove (8302 posts) -

I can't stand this kind of crap, so it's far more fun to watch someone else get terrified instead of me.

#14 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

I'll be watching :P 
I'm too much of a pussy to play it meself.

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

Ya know, I love Dead Space 2, I played the first 2 chapters, it's great, but I'm so deep into Final Fantasy XIII right now, I think I'd rather finish that first, I really like that game, surprisingly.

#16 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I think I'm going to play it myself first, but I shall watch your playthrough eventually.

#17 Posted by Six (613 posts) -

nice video

#18 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@Hamst3r: Hmm. It says your video contains content from SxS gaming's channel. Just letting you know. Time to crack some skulls?
#19 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

I always love games that you play as a dude. You've got me hooked!

#20 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Wait you're that Hamster?  Ohhhhhhh

#21 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
@Sarumarine:  Died once, but had to play it thrice as I alt+tabbed out at one point, hurr.

@Jambones: Yeah, Youtube's detection stuff is so simple it's worthless. "OH LOOK, THE DEAD SPACE 2 LOGO, this must be owned  by IGN! Wait no, by siglrhg! wait no,  by SxS gaming!" - that's all disappeared now, so woop woop.

@Meowshi: Hi there!
#22 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
#23 Posted by benpicko (2006 posts) -
@ESREVER said:
" Ugh, two of my favorite LPers (Tobuscus and yourself) are both doing a LP of this game. I want to watch them soo bad, but I want to experience the game for myself at first. 
Maybe when I've gone and beat it, I'll give your LP a watch. Have fun playing it! I personally can't wait to start it, and I'm excited about all the wonderful things I've been hearing about it. Even though I've tried to "media blackout" this game. There were some trailers I couldn't resist watching. 

"
Tobuscus is the best. He said he was going to do a Minecraft one too, but he still hasn't. 

Also that Literal trailer is the best one yet
#24 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -
@Hamst3r:  I just finished Part 1 and was about to go to bed. Well if you insist :)
#25 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

#26 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

Well, I'm going against my original statement by watching your videos.  They give me a good heads up on what to expect so I don't get scared, even though I'm not having too much trouble with the original (Dead Space) so far, as far as being scared and stuff is concerned.

#27 Posted by NoDeath (798 posts) -

I'm gonna hold off on watching these until I've played the game myself. Quick question though, are you playing with a 360 controller?

#28 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
@NoDeath said:
" I'm gonna hold off on watching these until I've played the game myself. Quick question though, are you playing with a 360 controller? "
I'm using mouse and keyboard. :)
#29 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
#30 Posted by Sarumarine (2305 posts) -

Heh, you had the same reaction with the Giraffe picture? Well, I wasn't quite as startled, but it did remind me of your adventure in fan art. Also, there's a suit exclusive to Ignition (players, purchasers?) that lets Isaac wear jeans in space. I'd say your picture was quite accurate.

Also, screw those little tentacle Necromorphs. I still remember that one part in Dead Space where you turn a corner and a million are there. If you get caught in it, you die before you can escape.

#31 Posted by Weltal (2276 posts) -
@Hamst3r said:

" @Sarumarine:  Died once, but had to play it thrice

I see you fell prey to the future-giraffe's greatest camouflage, pretending to be a child's painting. Oh you fool you.
#32 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

cool beans

#33 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
@Sarumarine:  :D Yeah, fancy that.

I was unaware that Isaac had space-jeans and there would be pictures of space-giraffes; I'm just a fan of silly looking animals.

@Weltal: Thriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
#34 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

Damn it! I caved in and just bought the game.

#35 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

what kind of computer rig you got?  and how's performance without fraps or w/e program your using to record with it?  

#36 Edited by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
@Marz said:

" what kind of computer rig you got?  and how's performance without fraps or w/e program your using to record with it?   "

An i7 920 and a GTX 295. Playing the game on max settings and 1280x720 res. I haven't tested the game while not recording or without vsync being on; with vsync on though it sticks to 30, so I'd say it's safe to bet that it's not 60 fps with vsync off. :P

There's a thread on the Steam forums about this game struggling hard on higher resolutions, being nearly unplayable at 1080p. There's another thread about it only using one core on a multi-core system. Kinda sadface.
#37 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -
@Hamst3r: oh wow that doesn't sound good.  wish there was a demo to test it with :(
#38 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

You've got a pretty good voice, Hamster. Color me impressed.

#39 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
@Marz:  Yeah. The lack of demos these days sucks.

@Delta_Ass: Thanks! :D

Got the next part of the playthrough ready to upload and will do that in a few hours once I get some more stuff recorded.
#40 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
#41 Posted by Sarumarine (2305 posts) -

Heh. Dead Space has a great way of presenting characters you learn to hate, and then killing them in a very satisfying way. And this might be a one-sided question, but who had a better karmic death? Kendra from the first game? Or the Unitologist lady?

#42 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Want Moar!!!

#43 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
@Sarumarine:  Kendra's death was certainly more awesome. :D
#44 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

Be sure to check out the mine layer gun. It works great against those gallimimus stalkers. Or just placing them near vents in case necromorphs pop out. I don't usually use proximity mine things in games, but here it's pretty cool. you can stick them to walls and make a perimeter around yourself. Not too close though since there is splash damage.

#45 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -

Awesome work m8, but I rather just play the game by myself again :)

#46 Posted by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -
#47 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -

I changed my mind after watching your first video, so fun to watch, you don't mind adding on the description what video settings, how you record it etc? :D

#48 Posted by Ghostface318 (95 posts) -

Really enjoying the playthrough. I'd be shrieking more.

#49 Posted by Sarumarine (2305 posts) -

Dead Space 2 puts a lot more emphasis on Stasis than the first game given how Necromorphs are faster and swarm harder. Still, there are a lot of cool guns in the game and I ended up not using Stasis all that much because I just wanted to shoot them. Picking a Stalker off with the Contact Beam is one of the most satisfying moments in the game... and using Stasis to slow them down just doesn't seem sporting.

Higher difficulties are a different story, however.

#50 Edited by Hamst3r (4566 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.