It's Humans V. Necromorphs In Dead Space 2's Multiplayer

• 141 results
Posted by Brad (2881 posts) -

I'm a firm believer that strong single-player action games don't necessarily need multiplayer modes just for the sake of filling out a back-of-box feature list. That said, it's kind of ironic that the first Dead Space didn't have any sort of online mode, since it's one of those rare story-based games whose core shooting controls are so fluid and finely tuned that they actually would have done justice to some kind of multiplayer game type.

Anyway, Dead Space 2 does have multiplayer, so problem solved. It doesn't look like something that's received the intense level of design that a pure multiplayer game like, say, Left 4 Dead has, though it does share that game's humans-versus-monsters premise. (I'll give credit to Scooter over at 1UP for coining "Left 4 Dead Space" while we played the game at an EA-hosted event recently.)  Four human players battle against four player-controlled necromorphs (plus some additional AI monsters), and then the teams switch sides for the second round. It's a tried-and-true formula that seems to fit the Dead Space milieu pretty well, from the little I played of it.

== TEASER ==The game will ship with five timed, objective-based maps that have the humans trying to fulfill a series of goals while the monsters try to, uh, stop them. One map we got to play had the four mining suit-outfitted humans collecting parts to arm a bomb so they could blow open an escape route, while the other was set on a spaceship and had us all fleeing desperately toward a group of escape pods.

As you'd probably expect, the human players pretty much play just like Isaac Clarke, with line guns and all the other weapons you remember from the first game. On the necromorph side, you've got a repulsive-looking assortment of monsters from the story campaign that can do things like climb up walls, jump onto and flail at human players, and charge up globs of acidic slobber for a projectile attack. The thing about the necromorphs that struck me was that they spawn out of specific ventilation ducts and gratings in each map, so when you die, you can fly around and find the spawn point that's closest to where the action is, then burst right out of the wall and pull a surprise attack. That action had a quick pace to it, and the controls felt just like Dead Space (although the frame rate looked like it was targeted at 30, rather than the single-player's 60, in the early PS3 build we were playing).

Dead Space 2's multiplayer mode will have some kind of persistent progression system a la Modern Warfare, although Visceral Games wasn't talking too specifically about how you'll accrue experience or what sort of things you'll unlock. Company reps did say at least that you'll only have one experience level to manage that will gain you new techniques and attacks for both factions, rather than forcing you to unlock goodies for humans and necromorphs separately.

Visceral proved how great a single-player action game it was capable of making with the first Dead Space, and to be perfectly honest that's still the thing I want most out of the upcoming sequel. But the idea behind the multiplayer here is a sound one, and the execution looks skilled enough that I'll be happy to at least give Dead Space 2's online mode a whirl after I've finished the story, once the game heads to retail next January.    
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2881 posts) -

I'm a firm believer that strong single-player action games don't necessarily need multiplayer modes just for the sake of filling out a back-of-box feature list. That said, it's kind of ironic that the first Dead Space didn't have any sort of online mode, since it's one of those rare story-based games whose core shooting controls are so fluid and finely tuned that they actually would have done justice to some kind of multiplayer game type.

Anyway, Dead Space 2 does have multiplayer, so problem solved. It doesn't look like something that's received the intense level of design that a pure multiplayer game like, say, Left 4 Dead has, though it does share that game's humans-versus-monsters premise. (I'll give credit to Scooter over at 1UP for coining "Left 4 Dead Space" while we played the game at an EA-hosted event recently.)  Four human players battle against four player-controlled necromorphs (plus some additional AI monsters), and then the teams switch sides for the second round. It's a tried-and-true formula that seems to fit the Dead Space milieu pretty well, from the little I played of it.

== TEASER ==The game will ship with five timed, objective-based maps that have the humans trying to fulfill a series of goals while the monsters try to, uh, stop them. One map we got to play had the four mining suit-outfitted humans collecting parts to arm a bomb so they could blow open an escape route, while the other was set on a spaceship and had us all fleeing desperately toward a group of escape pods.

As you'd probably expect, the human players pretty much play just like Isaac Clarke, with line guns and all the other weapons you remember from the first game. On the necromorph side, you've got a repulsive-looking assortment of monsters from the story campaign that can do things like climb up walls, jump onto and flail at human players, and charge up globs of acidic slobber for a projectile attack. The thing about the necromorphs that struck me was that they spawn out of specific ventilation ducts and gratings in each map, so when you die, you can fly around and find the spawn point that's closest to where the action is, then burst right out of the wall and pull a surprise attack. That action had a quick pace to it, and the controls felt just like Dead Space (although the frame rate looked like it was targeted at 30, rather than the single-player's 60, in the early PS3 build we were playing).

Dead Space 2's multiplayer mode will have some kind of persistent progression system a la Modern Warfare, although Visceral Games wasn't talking too specifically about how you'll accrue experience or what sort of things you'll unlock. Company reps did say at least that you'll only have one experience level to manage that will gain you new techniques and attacks for both factions, rather than forcing you to unlock goodies for humans and necromorphs separately.

Visceral proved how great a single-player action game it was capable of making with the first Dead Space, and to be perfectly honest that's still the thing I want most out of the upcoming sequel. But the idea behind the multiplayer here is a sound one, and the execution looks skilled enough that I'll be happy to at least give Dead Space 2's online mode a whirl after I've finished the story, once the game heads to retail next January.    
Staff
#2 Edited by SilverShadow (187 posts) -

Deadspace! 

#3 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

awesome 

#4 Posted by Hef (1102 posts) -

DAAAMN YOU silvershadow

#5 Posted by Yummylee (21305 posts) -

I hope they'll allow you to customise your 'Engineers' armour. Unless they'll just have us all playing as multiple Isaac's -_-

#6 Posted by HellBrendy (992 posts) -

The trailer looks awesome

#7 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

good read

#8 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Those tentacle babies scared the crap out of me.  Just wait until it's a human controlling one of those things.

#9 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Never felt that Dead Space games would need multi-player but I hope doing something safe means the single player doesn't suffer.

#10 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

It looks good, but unrelated I hope this doesn't give BioWare the idea that they need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3.

#11 Posted by QuSpec (11 posts) -

Looks better then expected^^

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (9654 posts) -

Hrmm.... this seems... unnecessary.  Uncharted 2 benefited from multiplayer, but I'm not sure Dead Space 2 will.

#13 Posted by Killtano (20 posts) -

It ain't a party till you're raped by a tentacle baby.

#14 Posted by Yummylee (21305 posts) -
@Killtano said:
" It ain't a party till you're raped by a tentacle baby. "
...Welcome to the site!
#15 Posted by Gnorbooth (282 posts) -

I should probably go back and actually finish the first one.  Not saying I was scared of anything...I just didn't the time!  I swear!

#16 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (458 posts) -

I hope that this is another Uncharted 2 in terms of the quality of the single player not being hurt by the addition of multiplayer.  

I also hope they do what Uncharted 2 did for trophies and have 1 for playing in multiplayer and 1 for coop (if DS2 has it) and that's it. I hate multiplayer trophies with a passion because I generally don't have the time or interest in multiplayer >.< 

#17 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Multiplayer looks like a bad L4D knockoff. It reminds me of that new AVP game. 

#18 Posted by Kouvero (28 posts) -

Left 4 Dead Space! Wait, someone already coined it?

#19 Posted by smrising@alumni.iu.edu (3 posts) -

The previews of Dead Space 2 make me really want to play the first one.  And I'll nightmares thanks to the creepy toddler alien.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

I don't want Dead Space 2 to have multiplayer. It's going to end up with no one playing in a few weeks after it's release.

#21 Posted by cwdawg1224 (277 posts) -

Looks unnecessary. 

#22 Posted by wsowen02 (318 posts) -
#23 Posted by McBradders (150 posts) -

I am stupidly excited for this game. Even the multiplayer.

#24 Posted by Yummylee (21305 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I don't want Dead Space 2 to have multiplayer. It's going to end up with no one playing in a few weeks after it's release. "
That's what people said about BioShock 2's multiplayer.
#25 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Forcing people to unlock new abilities in a game like this seems like a very very bad idea. 

I guess we'll see how it pans out.

#26 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @xyzygy said:
" I don't want Dead Space 2 to have multiplayer. It's going to end up with no one playing in a few weeks after it's release. "
That's what people said about BioShock 2's multiplayer. "
And they were pretty much right about that.
#27 Posted by Yummylee (21305 posts) -
@dvorak said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" @xyzygy said:
That's what people said about BioShock 2's multiplayer. "
And they were pretty much right about that. "
No they weren't. BioShock 2's multiplayer is still surprisingly popular today.
#28 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4585 posts) -

Cool beans.

#29 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

So it's Left 4 Dead set in the Dead Space universe? Could be interesting. I just hope they don't fuck over the PC release like they said they planned to and I may get this.

#30 Posted by Lufferov (43 posts) -

It's looking good, added to my list of games to buy.

#31 Posted by Sweep (8830 posts) -

Yeah, because this worked really well for Resident Evil 5. 

If anyone needs me i'll be in the angry dome.

#32 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

This is not what I want out of Dead Space 2. If I find any severely lacking plotlines/gameplay/action/scariness, I'm blaming it on the development time set aside to make this stupid multiplayer.

Seriously. It's stupid. Stop tricking yourself into getting excited about Dead Space 2 for this.

#33 Posted by Yummylee (21305 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" Yeah, because this worked really well for Resident Evil 5.     If anyone needs me i'll be in the angry dome. "
Comon, it looks to be miles better than RE5's versus mode. Just to start it off, you can actually move whilst aiming! @.@ Albeit very slowly. Plus VS mode was more of a lame deathmatch variant while Dead Space 2's MP is centred more on an objective based mode, similar to Left4Dead's versus modes.
#34 Posted by BRNK (307 posts) -

The animation in that trailer is garbage. Look! It's a squad of Isaacs moonwalking sideways down a hall!

#35 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

I never got into Deadspace. It looks like I still won't be getting into it either. That baby thing jump looked exactly like the hunter in L4D EXACTLY.

#36 Posted by iamthemoneyj (123 posts) -

left 4 dead space

#37 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" This is not what I want out of Dead Space 2. If I find any severely lacking plotlines/gameplay/action/scariness, I'm blaming it on the development time set aside to make this stupid multiplayer.  Seriously. It's stupid. Stop tricking yourself into getting excited about Dead Space 2 for this. "
My thoughts exactly. I really hope that nothing happens to the single player...
#38 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -

Left 4 Dead. I want to play the single player, but who thought this was a good idea.

#39 Posted by Swayvos (15 posts) -

definitely cant wait to try it out but seems a little cheap right now

#40 Posted by Radar (887 posts) -

BradN...... Oh wait, it's real Brad!

#41 Posted by recharge330 (80 posts) -

This looks a lot like the multiplayer in Singularity.

#42 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

Awesome.

#43 Posted by mustachioeugene (500 posts) -

my 2 cents; music in this sounded alot like a coverband for godspeed! you black emperor, or maybe a down tempo do make say think track.

#44 Posted by lordofultima (6215 posts) -

Cool beans, STOKED for Dead Space 2, GOTY 2011.

#45 Posted by Dinoracha (50 posts) -

Give us co-operative campaign action, not silly ripped-off multiplayer. -.-

#46 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

Those child demon..things.. don't look very scary to me. They actually put me off from the game. :/  
I never played the first one but always wanted to so I have no idea what the rest of the monsters look like. I just don't understand why they didn't make a scarier model for that type. The dead married couple from Beatlejuice turned themselves into scarier monsters than that..thing.

#47 Posted by rabbitinthemoon (17 posts) -

I want to be a necromorph!   

But this looks weak.

#48 Posted by Lordborg909 (162 posts) -
@skrutop said:
" Those tentacle babies scared the crap out of me.  Just wait until it's a human controlling one of those things. "
This... So very creepy, I mean come on... babies with TENTACLES??? What sick fuck thought that up????
#49 Posted by killer_meatballs (460 posts) -

This game is going to kick-ass!  I can not wait.  

#50 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

God,I hate evil babies in games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.