Pc controlls?

#1 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1380 posts) -

So how does the PC version of this game handle with a mouse and keyboard? if I remember correctly the first one was pretty unplayable with pc controls

#2 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

unplayable? who said that?  I am fine with it. no problem. you console gamers always say something like that? screw you. PC is better than any other platform in the market. especially, shooting game is the best and best. just look at leaderboard. who is leading. mostly they are PC gamers. anyway, DS 2 is very good. it's even better than DS 1. I turn on vsync, max out video setting. I still see little bit over 60fps (if I turn off vsync) which console never happens. 

#3 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@Edwardryu said:
" unplayable? who said that?  I am fine with it. no problem. you console gamers always say something like that? screw you. PC is better than any other platform in the market. especially, shooting game is the best and best. just look at leaderboard. who is leading. mostly they are PC gamers. anyway, DS 2 is very good. it's even better than DS 1. I turn on vsync, max out video setting. I still see little bit over 60fps (if I turn off vsync) which console never happens.  "
He never said it was bad, he just said the controls. =/ You've skipped a few steps there.
#4 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -
@Edwardryu said:
" unplayable? who said that?  I am fine with it. no problem. you console gamers always say something like that? screw you. PC is better than any other platform in the market. especially, shooting game is the best and best. just look at leaderboard. who is leading. mostly they are PC gamers. anyway, DS 2 is very good. it's even better than DS 1. I turn on vsync, max out video setting. I still see little bit over 60fps (if I turn off vsync) which console never happens.  "
Welp, this is the dumbest thing I've read today. Completely ignored the OP's question and went on to brag about his PC and KB+Mouse controls.

The controls are fine on the pc version with mouse and keyboard. The weird mouse acceleration that plagued the first game is gone, but you aren't going to see 1:1 movement with Isaac like you would expect a FPS to handle. The game isn't designed for you to do something like, .2 second 180's or anything like that. In fact, I almost prefer to use the 360 controller as it plays almost identically to the mouse and keyboard because of how Isaac is designed to move and aim.
#5 Posted by Piririn (81 posts) -
@Edwardryu:

With Vsync switched on, the mouse was super floaty for me in the first game. 
So did they fix that atleast?
#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (8012 posts) -

Don't really understand the problem people had with the first Dead Space controlls on the PC.
Controlled just fine for me realative to the pace the game was setting anyway.

#7 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1380 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" Don't really understand the problem people had with the first Dead Space controlls on the PC. Controlled just fine for me realative to the pace the game was setting anyway. "
it could just be me remembering it wrong but I recall the mouse aiming being super floaty in the first one to the point where I sat down to play it and 30 minutes later I was still trying to find a good setting for it.
#8 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Dizzyhippos said:
" @Tennmuerti said:
" Don't really understand the problem people had with the first Dead Space controlls on the PC. Controlled just fine for me realative to the pace the game was setting anyway. "
it could just be me remembering it wrong but I recall the mouse aiming being super floaty in the first one to the point where I sat down to play it and 30 minutes later I was still trying to find a good setting for it. "
That was due to a Vsync bug.  Turn off Vsync and controls are perfect.  Dead Space 2 fixes that issue with Vsync in regards to control, however big frame rate gains can still be had by turning it off.  Dead Space 2's controls are also perfect to play on with a keyboard and mouse.  My only complaint is their stupid key binding for the four weapon slots.  It was a weird order that they did but got used to it anyway.  It is no game-breaker by any means though.
#9 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1380 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician:  its really just as simple as turning off v-sync?
#10 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Dizzyhippos said:
" @ShiftyMagician:  its really just as simple as turning off v-sync? "
Yep.  I had the same issue you had and was unsure what it was, but sure enough when looking around at forums it was figured out it was the Vsync.  Turning it off removes the floatiness of the cursor and makes your controls that much more accurate.
#11 Posted by achoyq (114 posts) -
@Dizzyhippos said:
If you're referring to Dead Space 1's floaty cursor movement then that's a big yes.
#12 Posted by gike987 (1751 posts) -

You still want to turn off vsync. The controlls are fixed but the framerate is locked to 30 fps. So force vsync on instead and you can play it in 60 fps.
Also there seems to be no option to turn on anisotropic filtering in game so you have to force that on as well, you notice a huge improvement in texture quality if you turn it on.

#13 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -
@Dizzyhippos said:
Yes. Turn it off in game, and force it on in your graphics card control panel.
#14 Posted by Xolare (1274 posts) -

All I remember is the aiming being very slow and having to turn up the sensitivity in Dead Space, I just hope I don't have to do that in this game.

#15 Posted by DHorea (4 posts) -

Has anyone tried out the 360 controller? Does it support it like GFW Live game?

#16 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

The first game had a vsync bug (turn it off, and you should be fine :)) but the second one, well I tried at my friend's house and it seemed fine, I kinda wish I got the pc version now, just because of the smooth gameplay (not that the console version is bad or anything)

#17 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -

Well, the sensitivity feels a bit weird in Dead Space 2, it's pretty much "reversed acceleration" (the faster you move your mouse the slower your sensitivity gets).. it's not as bad as in the first Dead Space, but still not the way it should be. 

#18 Edited by zameer (605 posts) -

Game currently has a nasty incompatibility issue with non 360 joypads; it permanently tilts the camera to the top left during menus and when you're playing the game... which is a huge pain. I eventually managed to solve it by disabling my joypad in Device Manager and playing it with good ol' K&M... but I'd much rather play it on my Dualshock 2 controller :(  

Amazing game though, loving what I've played so far. I love the set pieces and seamless transitions between chapters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.