Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Severed is up

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

im debating downloading it. i mean the price is right. but its only going to be about 2 hours. but that is 2 more awesome dead space 2 hours. ahhh i just dont know.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Currently there is no way to access the content. I already have it downloaded, but there are no menu options to start it.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jackel2072

really? fuck i just started downloading it! Thats... kind of crazy.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Slaker117

Looks like support just got patched in.

I'm on the 360, tried putting in disc 1 first, nothing, put in disc 2, got a title update but no option to play, put disc 1 back in and finally got it.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By XenoNick

Currently downloading. Looking forward to playing this when I get back from uni.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jackel2072
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Looks like support just got patched in.  I'm on the 360, tried putting in disc 1 first, nothing, put in disc 2, got a title update but no option to play, put disc 1 back in and finally got it. "
    ok thats good to know. i was hoping to play it before i had to go to work
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Slaker117

The foam hand cannon is available from the start if you have it unlocked. I'm tempted to just run through on zealot my first time through and get all the achievements, but that would kind of ruin it.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Cwaff

How many points is severed?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By buft
    @Cwaff said:
    " How many points is severed? "
    its 560
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slaker117

Heads up, it only took me about an hour and a half to beat it, so yeah, it's pretty short. What's there is fine, it's still Dead Space, so that's great, but there isn't that much at all. Probably 90% of the geometry is reused levels from the main game, the story is fine, but again really short, and only serves to raise more questions about the larger fiction. Also, it feels like it's more combat heavy, to the point where it seems like they are just padding it, so it feels emptier than an hour and a half from the core game. It's not bad, but it is slight. Unless you are really hurting for more Dead Space, I'd say you can safely pass without feeling like you're missing anything.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I'll have to wait till tomorrow... oh the joys of being a UK based gamer on the PS3!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slaker117

Fuck. Apparently there is a glitch in Mircosoft's system regarding DLC achievements, so if you want the ones you earn here to count you should wait until they update their back end later today. I guess I'm just going to run through with the hand cannon for them.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jackel2072

yup beat it on  zealot. its short but its more Dead Space. take that for what you will. 

TravisT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By TravisT

Will be buying it when I get back from work.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117

Achievements just went live.

I think I might be among the first in the world to get these. A totally pointless accolade, but I'm happy about it.

SuperJmad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By SuperJmad

Does anyone have a list of the achievements?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117
    @SuperJmad:  
    Not going to bother with the official names or descriptions, but these are them, in the order that you have to opportunity to unlock them.

• Kill an enemy with the grinder
    • Stay on the center platform with the control console as the door unlocks
    • Destroy the gun ship within 30 seconds
    • Complete chapter one
    • Find the Peng treasure
    • Kill 16+ enemies during your last stand
    • Complete chapter 2
    • Complete Severed on Zealot
    SuperJmad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By SuperJmad
    @Slaker117:  Thanks! I've looked everywhere and could not find a list. Much appreciated 
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Heads up, it only took me about an hour and a half to beat it, so yeah, it's pretty short. What's there is fine, it's still Dead Space, so that's great, but there isn't that much at all. Probably 90% of the geometry is reused levels from the main game, the story is fine, but again really short, and only serves to raise more questions about the larger fiction. Also, it feels like it's more combat heavy, to the point where it seems like they are just padding it, so it feels emptier than an hour and a half from the core game. It's not bad, but it is slight. Unless you are really hurting for more Dead Space, I'd say you can safely pass without feeling like you're missing anything. "
    I completely agree with you. It was good but not a must buy.
    GogDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By GogDog

When does it go live on PSN?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By defaulttag

Quick questions about Severed. Can you buy and play this without the EA online pass? I rented the game on PS3 just to buy this DLC. I bought the base game for PC which unfortunately has no DLC support.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yummylee
    @defaulttag said:
    " Quick questions about Severed. Can you buy and play this without the EA online pass? I rented the game on PS3 just to buy this DLC. I bought the base game for PC which unfortunately has no DLC support. "
    I'm not entirely certain, though I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. The online pass only caters to the multiplayer.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By defaulttag
    @Abyssfull: 'online' features. i was just hoping DLC access would not be tied to the pass. I'll go ahead and try. hopefully I don't get boned and be forced to spend $17 total on 2 hours of DLC.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee
    @defaulttag said:
    " @Abyssfull: 'online' features. i was just hoping DLC access would not be tied to the pass. I'll go ahead and try. hopefully I don't get boned and be forced to spend $17 total on 2 hours of DLC. "
    Severed isn't played online, though. It's acquired online, but the ''online features'' are referring to cooperative and competitive modes, should they exist. The more I talk about it the more certain I'm becoming that it'll work. Like I said, there's no viable reason why it wouldn't.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

I enjoyed it.  It was a nice little piece for the fiction of Dead Space, and particularly for that of Gabe Weller.  It also has a setup that could potentially play into some kind of future DLC or even another game on its own.  I'm sad that they took the route that they did with the ending, as there wasn't enough time to build up characters for what happened to be a truly emotional impact. 

Regardless, the gameplay was definitely more Dead Space...and in a bit more of a combat heavy way.  It was really cool to be moving from the end to the beginning in a more streamlined fashion, tripping up along the way that Isaac has already passed through. 

I'd recommend it if you are invested in the fiction of Dead Space, but beyond that, it's nothing necessary.  It definitely didn't reach the same level as something like Minerva's Den.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By defaulttag
    @Abyssfull: worked just like you said it would =]   only spent $7
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Sooty

I don't understand why people are moaning about Severed being an hour or so long, I finished Dead Space 2 in 5 hours and 25 minutes on hardcore - wasn't even rushing, was taking my time to get ammo. 

So really you're getting roughly a fifth of a game for 800 ms points. Not bad. 

Although my first playthrough took me 7 hours on an easier difficulty. No idea how I managed that looking back at it...

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

I really enjoyed it, considering the length of DS2 itself the price is more than justified. They could have completely phoned it in but I'm glad they treated this as it's own mini part of the universe.

The little snippets of character are good, it's a shame that more isn't done with Gabe though. 

This is encouraging, I hope they do more of this type of DLC. I think that there is potential for a few extra scenarios if they wanted to do it. Ellie content would be the obvious one, the demise of her team could be very interesting, her crossover with Issac during the main game could also be touched on from her perspective.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yummylee
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    " I really enjoyed it, considering the length of DS2 itself the price is more than justified. They could have completely phoned it in but I'm glad they treated this as it's own mini part of the universe. The little snippets of character are good, it's a shame that more isn't done with Gabe though.  This is encouraging, I hope they do more of this type of DLC. I think that there is potential for a few extra scenarios if they wanted to do it. Ellie content would be the obvious one, the demise of her team could be very interesting, her crossover with Issac during the main game could also be touched on from her perspective. "
    I'd like that too. Would be a nice change to play as someone outside of a suit, for a change, if though that naturally limit the gameplay possibilities - with no zero gravity or vacuum sections. 
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @WatanabeKazuma said:
    " I really enjoyed it, considering the length of DS2 itself the price is more than justified. They could have completely phoned it in but I'm glad they treated this as it's own mini part of the universe. The little snippets of character are good, it's a shame that more isn't done with Gabe though.  This is encouraging, I hope they do more of this type of DLC. I think that there is potential for a few extra scenarios if they wanted to do it. Ellie content would be the obvious one, the demise of her team could be very interesting, her crossover with Issac during the main game could also be touched on from her perspective. "
    I'd like that too. Would be a nice change to play as someone outside of a suit, for a change, if though that naturally limit the gameplay possibilities - with no zero gravity or vacuum sections.  "
    For that reason I think it would encourage more of a traditional survival horror element, I mean every time you meet up her rig is almost critical and she fights her fair share of Necromorphs judging by the amount of bodies that are left ahead of you. 
    Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Hzaife

How exactly is severed utilized in the game? is it accessed from the main menu to play when you purchase it?

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By Edwardryu

fuck DS 2 all DLC support. they abandoned PC gamers again. there are free MP maps available now for console boxes. not for PC. pissed me off so much. they don't even consider to give us 'Severed' DLC? this is bullshit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.