"Very Hardcore" challenge run underway

#1 Posted by Farizle (3 posts) -

- Recently I have started a challenge run of Dead Space 2, dubbed "Very Hardcore" mode. This mode includes: Hardcore mode with the basic suit (Engineering suit all the way), and no suit, module (kinesis and stasis) or weapon upgrades, no deaths, and most importantly, no saving (aka. single-segment, one-sitting, continuous run, etc.).

- I have completed a similar challenge for Dead Space (found here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A6E0A032AD2317DE), and for Dead Space 2 I am uping the challenge by not saving at all.

- So far, I have completed Zealot mode with no suit, module, or weapon upgrades, and have begun practicing individual chapters. Chapters 1 and 2 have been run, both individually and continuously. Based on the schedule I've chosen, I am practicing individual chapters for 2 weeks, then attempting full runs on Hardcore.

- Ideally, the full run should be up on YouTube in about 3-4 weeks, and I'll be posting updates during this time period on my YouTube channel. If you're interested in watching the final result or on these updates, my YouTube channel can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/br0wner

- I will also post a new forum thread with links to the playlist and videos once the run has been done. If you have any questions, I recommend posting a comment on my channel, and I will answer as soon and as best I can.

#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (6040 posts) -

You are crazy.

#3 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

Why? That doesn't sound fun.

#4 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

That sounds retarded...

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Just play the game dude. Its a game..not some job. PLAY IT FOR FUN! 

#6 Posted by bellmont42 (321 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Just play the game dude. Its a game..not some job. PLAY IT FOR FUN!  "
Maybe this kind of thing just happens to be fun for him... nothing wrong with that
#7 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

Why don't you just go play Super Meat Boy or Demon's Souls? 

Anyway, good luck to you. Sounds horrible.

#8 Posted by chilibean_3 (1638 posts) -

That seems awful and great.  Good luck. 

#9 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

That sounds fucked up. Lookin forward to it.

#10 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

You sound like a masochist 
Will check out the youtube videos when they go up

#11 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -
@bellmont42 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
Maybe this kind of thing just happens to be fun for him... nothing wrong with that "
Yeah, some people like their nuts put in a clamp.
#12 Posted by me3639 (1755 posts) -

#13 Posted by paisan13 (150 posts) -

Sounds like fun, will for sure check it out when you've finished it ^_^
And to the complainers, don't you think  he's already played trough the game a few times? Thats such a fu***ng retarded comment to tell him to go play the game instead of doing this. 
My money is on this is a way for him to prolong the value of the game.

#14 Posted by bellmont42 (321 posts) -
@big_jon said:
" @bellmont42 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
Maybe this kind of thing just happens to be fun for him... nothing wrong with that "
Yeah, some people like their nuts put in a clamp. "
and some people like vac beds.
#15 Posted by Edwardryu (437 posts) -

Jesus Christ, man! it's just goddamn game. enjoy your fucking game. it doesn't matter what level you play. the game is existed because it entertains us, OK? I think that you better get a life. go to somewhere, join some social life. I guess that your job is not even related with making game. I assume that you seem to have plenty of time to kill yourself? are you 18 years old. no job. or retarded? what am I care? but seriously you better get a life. I don't understand why you posted this. you want to show off? that's a bad way to do. nobody cares what you do.   

#16 Posted by yinstarrunner (1197 posts) -

Wow, a bunch of people shitting on someone for doing something he enjoys. 
Some people like picking apart games even more than playing the games normally.

Are we all forgetting that we're posting on an internet forum about fucking VIDEO GAMES? 
Let the guy do what he thinks is fun.  Don't be hypocrites.

Anyway...
 This sounds awesome dude!  
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the videos because I haven't played Dead Space 2 yet and I don't want all the scares spoiled for me.

#17 Posted by DillonWerner (1528 posts) -

DUDE, only use the plasma cutter.

#18 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -
@Edwardryu said:
" Jesus Christ, man! it's just goddamn game. enjoy your fucking game. it doesn't matter what level you play. the game is existed because it entertains us, OK? I think that you better get a life. go to somewhere, join some social life. I guess that your job is not even related with making game. I assume that you seem to have plenty of time to kill yourself? are you 18 years old. no job. or retarded? what am I care? but seriously you better get a life. I don't understand why you posted this. you want to show off? that's a bad way to do. nobody cares what you do.    "
Please leave our forums now.
#19 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

What, you're using your hands? That's like a baby's toy.

#20 Edited by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -
@Farizle:   
If you're going to go that far you might as well speed-run the game while you're at it.  
Anyway, good luck, I'm sure you'll need it.
#21 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

What the fuck, guys. Let him do his challenge thing, it sounds crazy difficult and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

#22 Edited by MrOldboy (869 posts) -

I dont understand the people saying "This is not fun." To someone posting about their escapades into a "very hardcore" run, its the definition of fun for that person. Whether they want views on their clips or they just want the recognition from somebody. The whole point of doing the hardcore mode is to say "I did it."; it may be hard work in a sense, but the end result can still be fun if you obtain your goal and get recognition for it. I'm gonna do it once I finish the game once.

#23 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I'm totally into shit like this. 

This is going to be so fucking awesome, I can't wait.

#24 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

I wish I was there to see you pull it off in person. Go for it man, but don't go insane in the process.

#25 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Good luck, just watched chapter 1 of your DS1 play through, very nice.

#26 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

Dude, you are using thumbs, that is cheating, use your feet..

Anyways, good luck!

#27 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
" You are crazy. "
#28 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

Fucking go for it. 

Fuck the haters and negative nancies.

#29 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

I wish you luck in your endeavours, fellow gamer.

#30 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@yinstarrunner said:
" Wow, a bunch of people shitting on someone for doing something he enjoys.  Some people like picking apart games even more than playing the games normally.  Are we all forgetting that we're posting on an internet forum about fucking VIDEO GAMES?  Let the guy do what he thinks is fun.  Don't be hypocrites. Anyway... This sounds awesome dude!   Unfortunately I won't be able to watch the videos because I haven't played Dead Space 2 yet and I don't want all the scares spoiled for me. "
Best post in this thread aside from the OP.

Fucking casual gamers have no concept of the word challenge anymore. 
#31 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Your videos of the DS1 run are really good, you have amazing control over your shooting.

Your run made me start a scratch Zealot run just for fun, I imagine most people will just use new game+ for it. The damage enemies do is insane, but I'm not finding it anywhere near as tense as Hardcore was due to having checkpoints.   

Also @SeriouslyNow: Fuckin-A

#32 Edited by fraser (478 posts) -

You are a nutcase sir.  That sounds awesome.

Best of luck.

#33 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Oh man, that is brutally awesome. Good luck! :D.

#34 Posted by pweidman (2333 posts) -

Heh, add stomping and melee only for all enemies except bosses and the exploding guys!  Joshing...have fun, sounds crazy hard though :).

#35 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

Dude... Good luck. I shall watch and learn when you put the videos up.

#36 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -
@Dtat said:
" Why? That doesn't sound fun. "
Speak for yourself bruh.
#37 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@FuzzYLemoN said:
" @Dtat said:
" Why? That doesn't sound fun. "
Speak for yourself bruh. "
Fair enough. It sure doesn't sound fun to me. But to each his own I suppose.  

I will say though that at some point you start trying to do things that the game never intended for you to do, and then it will become impossible. Not saying this is one of those times, but for example: "I want to play through Gears of War on the hardest difficulty using only the chainsaw." At what point does challenging become simply absurd?
#38 Posted by Tennmuerti (8090 posts) -

You're a masohist.
I like you.

#39 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Don't listen to the haters. I think that's awesome. Good luck!

#40 Posted by OverLord00 (173 posts) -

Good luck out there pal, you're gonna need it.

#41 Edited by guthwulf (251 posts) -

I can see why you would enjoy doing that, and I don't really understand the people criticizing you for doing it.

That being said, it would also bore me to death to watch that. Anyway, have fun.

#42 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -
@big_jon said:
" @Edwardryu said:
" Jesus Christ, man! it's just goddamn game. enjoy your fucking game. it doesn't matter what level you play. the game is existed because it entertains us, OK? I think that you better get a life. go to somewhere, join some social life. I guess that your job is not even related with making game. I assume that you seem to have plenty of time to kill yourself? are you 18 years old. no job. or retarded? what am I care? but seriously you better get a life. I don't understand why you posted this. you want to show off? that's a bad way to do. nobody cares what you do.    "
Please leave our forums now. "
big_jon said it well enough, so I don't think I need to. 

@Farizle:
Sounds awesome though. You're crazy.
#43 Posted by Omelet_Pants (165 posts) -

Hey, why don't you play it blindfolded while you're at it?

#44 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
" You are crazy. "
#45 Posted by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -

That sounds like the least enjoyable thing one could do. 

Have fun with it I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.