Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

Zealot. Maybe not the best idea.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SuperWristBands

So, I've played games before. I have some experience under my belt, so I decided to start the game on Zealot, the hardest difficulty available at the start because it said that ammo would be scarce and I figure I will be frightened a lot more if I dread an enemies contact.

So it was all going good, playing through chapter one messing dudes up with my feat, fists, pointy pole and plasma cutter, no one was able to get near me. Then I get to the area where you get stasis and I totally fuck up at shooting the frozen necromorph, he thaws and then dashes. Before I can say "Holy fuck!" I am dead on the ground. One hit. Full-to-mostly-full health (hard to say, it looked full but I could have been mistaken). At first I thought that it was because of the basic suit and that it had no armour but when I did get the first real suit it says it has only 5% armour. So yeah, that can't really change much, can it?

I'm gonna keep on space truckin' an' see how long I last. My question to all y'all is: Are you playing on Zealot? Hows it going for you on your difficulty of choice? Still scary? Would less ammo, health and stupid strong enemies make it scarier?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

Zealot sounds like a new game + difficulty. Like veteran in Mass Effect.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

There is still one more difficulty that is locked. I was gonna make that my new game+ if it lets me, but now that I think about it, How do you make it harder then it is already?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

Plating on Zealot, on chapter 8.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By handlas

Zealot as well.  I'm on chapter 6 I believe.  I can see some instances where it seems they just throw more enemies at you in order to make it harder.  I'm at a part filled with a bunch of big crates with those raptor-esque monsters all around.  The area seems rather broken tbh.  I'm having to run back to an area where the monsters won't attack you...they'll charge at you and then run away once you go past a certain point.  I kill one raptor thingy and it gets replaced by another.  I killed 5 so far and each time one dies it gets replaced by another.  I'm not sure if it is just infinitely respawning them or not since I keep running back to safety.  One hit deaths are pretty lame from these guys.

Other than that part the game has been immensely easily than the hardest difficulty in Dead Space 1.  I remember being completely out of ammo a couple of instances during that game...even near the beginning and literally having to fist fight necromorphs.  Having rechargable statis and the ability to impale them with objects makes it much easier.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur

My life for Aiur? 
    My life for Aiur? 
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By big_jon
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By keyhunter
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " Zealot sounds like a new game + difficulty. Like veteran in Mass Effect. "
    In mass effect you couldn't transfer a normal difficulty character to the harder difficulties :( 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    Veteran was piss - was the difficulty I started out on. I think you mean Hardcore? The one below Insanity.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Wuddel

So is zealot the difficulty you will get an extra achievement/trophy for when you start out with it? So its now or never? Kinda harsch.

kickinthehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By kickinthehead
    @Sasran said:
    Then I get to the area where you get stasis and I totally fuck up at shooting the frozen necromorph, he thaws and then dashes. Before I can say "Holy fuck!" I am dead on the ground. One hit. Full-to-mostly-full health   
    Actually this one hit death happened to me playing on normal mode with basically full health, so I think the game tweaks this guy's damage just to make sure you use stasis or something.
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @handlas:
    Oh man that sounds harsh. Fast dudes and one-hit kills! I choose this myself, no use looking back now. Gotta keep going!
    As for the hardest difficulty in the first Dead Space; I maybe... sorta... usedthestatsiscodeallthetimeandnevergothit. >_>

@Wuddel: 
    Its not that you get an extra achievement for starting out with it, its just that you get an achievement for beating it.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Wuddel
    @Sasran: Ah, ok. Brad I think was mentioning something along these lines. Oh well.
    zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By zidane_24
    @Sasran: Yeah, I was just watching my roommate play through it on Casual, and he got killed by this guy at well. It's a one hit kill so that you immediately use stasis on him. Kinda bullshit, but whatever. 
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By handlas

so if you dont get an achievement for starting the game on Zealot...I wonder if you can just get it for beating Hardcore.  Because it says Hardcore unlocks if you beat the game on any difficulty.  That way you can just beat the game on easy and max weapons/armor out and then play through hardcore.

Of course this is the pansy way to go about it which I chose not to do.  I'd rather challenge myself although I always find some portions of games on the highest difficulty are more-so cheap rather than challenging.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fishmicmuffin

As with most survival horror games, I feel like playing them on the hardest difficulty from the outset is the best way to do it because you actually have to worry about surviving. If killing all of the necromorphs was super easy, then the game would lose some (if not all) of its tension.  

I beat the game on Zealot last night, and I'll probably dive in and play it once on new game + on casual or something just for kicks and then I'll try it on hardcore. Hardcore seems pretty crazy though...

RAGEosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RAGEosaurus
    @Sasran said:
    " There is still one more difficulty that is locked. I was gonna make that my new game+ if it lets me, but now that I think about it, How do you make it harder then it is already? "
    HARDCORE MODE. You start off from scratch, no new game+, less ammo, enemies are tougher.....oh and to make it a bit more tough you only get 3 saves and no checkpoints!
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By NTM

I'm about to play it soon, and whenever I memories the game enough, maybe once or twice through, I'll go through on the hardest. It's going to be intense. I love it.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Afroman269
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    This. I like to enjoy my games first instead of being brutally raped. Also on a side note, playing Mass Effect 2 on Insane at max level is the worst thing to do. Playing it from lvl 1, clean slate, is the way easier path.
    Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Crono11

I just beat it on zealot earlier today and there were parts where I just had to bang my head against the wall to get through but it's definitely possible.   

It's really intense when you see 6 guys in front of you and as you pull the trigger, realize you have no ammo. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    Veteran was piss - was the difficulty I started out on. I think you mean Hardcore? The one below Insanity. "
    That's what I meant sorry.
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @RAGEosaurus said:
    " @Sasran said:
    " There is still one more difficulty that is locked. I was gonna make that my new game+ if it lets me, but now that I think about it, How do you make it harder then it is already? "
    HARDCORE MODE. You start off from scratch, no new game+, less ammo, enemies are tougher.....oh and to make it a bit more tough you only get 3 saves and no checkpoints! "
    I was just listening to the podcast earlier and I heard them talk about it. I was at first surprised but then I was happy to think that they are making it a stupid hard challenge. Weren't the old RE games like this? Like you had to finish the game without saving and only being able to use one herb to get the highest rank?  

@crono11 said:
    " I just beat it on zealot earlier today and there were parts where I just had to bang my head against the wall to get through but it's definitely possible.    It's really intense when you see 6 guys in front of you and as you pull the trigger, realize you have no ammo.  "
    lmao yeah. I can totally see this happening. I'm already surprised to see line racks dropping despite me not having purchased it. I don't want line racks. I want plasma cutter ammo.

Also question to anyone: I was looking at gamefaqs and in their cheats section it listed a bunch of codes for money, power nodes, and most importantly a stasis refill. Anyone know if these are actually in the game? It seems like they may have just been copy-pasted from the first game. I can't be sure and I can't test it for a little bit.
    Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Crono11
    @Sasran:  Yeah the cheats don't work. They did in the demo but not the full game. 
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @crono11: Okay cool. I doubt I would be able to resist the urge.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @RAGEosaurus said:
    " @Sasran said:
    HARDCORE MODE. You start off from scratch, no new game+, less ammo, enemies are tougher.....oh and to make it a bit more tough you only get 3 saves and no checkpoints! "
    That sounds like a challege! sign me up.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By big_jon

So I am in the middle of chapter 13 and I am not getting enough ammo to deal with guys, it is starting to piss me off. 

On the note Hardcore is seeming more  and more retarded.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By Edwardryu

you know sometimes I think that Issac needs biotic power or some attack or explosive drones or incinerate & cryo just like Shepard in mass effect. it will be little easier to get through zealot, or hardcore level. 

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @big_jon said:
    " So I am in the middle of chapter 13 and I am not getting enough ammo to deal with guys, it is starting to piss me off.  On the note Hardcore is seeming more  and more retarded. "
    So I just got to chapter 3. Only chapter 3 and I am having serious ammo problems. I think its the rivet gun. It seems to be a waste and all the ammo I pick up for it could be for the plasma cutter instead. The deeper I go the more it seems I will hit a wall!

Also I just fought the first group of children. Man those things are rough. There were so many. If my friend hadn't advised me to shoot the ground with a javelin round and then electrocute it I could have been there for a long time. 

The end of chapter 2 was rough for me as well...

On the note of the rivet gun, has anyone found out a good use for it? I put a few rounds in a limb then use the alt-fire and it bursts off. Problem is that it takes so much more accuracy and time to use it... (btw the Rivet gun was a Gamestop pre-order).

I'm still enjoying the game though and if anything Zealot is good for witnessing the different death animations. I like when the Slasher nibbles of Isaac's head. So unnecessary.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By big_jon

I just beat it, was quite a grind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.