A Glimmer of Hope?

#1 Edited by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

Dave Houghton just ran this feature: http://www.gamesradar.com/dead-space-3-why-the-dumbed-down-action-game-additions-youre-scared-make-it-better-survival-horror-game/on Gamesradar (which is pretty much a graveyard bar him I might add).

I don't know his position on Dead Space but the article has some interesting stuff about the whole "universal ammo" situation, which apparently was placeholder text for "we don't want to reveal what our new weapons are right now".

Personally I'm still pretty sceptical but at least someone is managing to make me feel slightly less pessimistic. Thoughts?

#2 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

I'm certain I will like Dead Space 3. People made a huge fuss about the first DS2 info and footage as well, and that turned out to be one of my top 5 games last year.

As long as I can play it by myself, it's most likely going to be just fine. Hoping for a new Hardcore mode as well. That stuff was TENSE.

#3 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

I'm certain I will like Dead Space 3. People made a huge fuss about the first DS2 info and footage as well, and that turned out to be one of my top 5 games last year. As long as I can play it by myself, it's most likely going to be just fine. Hoping for a new Hardcore mode as well. That stuff was TENSE.

Granted. But that game didn't have sunlit sections or big Lost-Planet style bosses. I'm still going to remain optimistic though, Visceral have done right by the series so far regardless of whether people think it got too actiony in DS2.

#4 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

I'm certain I will like Dead Space 3. People made a huge fuss about the first DS2 info and footage as well, and that turned out to be one of my top 5 games last year. As long as I can play it by myself, it's most likely going to be just fine. Hoping for a new Hardcore mode as well. That stuff was TENSE.

I havent tried the hardcore mode in Dead Space 2 yet, how rare is ammo and med-kits.

On topic I think ill wait till Dead Space 3 comes out and see what people say about it before i get it unless there's some amazing dlc for pre-ordering it even with the reassurances in that article.

#5 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

@living4theday258: Does "amazing DLC" = overpowered guns that break the early game's difficulty and an Isaac statue? Because EA will probably have you covered there.

#6 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Golden guns. Golden everything. It is good because it is made out of gold or at least coated with gold paint to portray something good and valuable as DLC.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

I actually think the white-out sequences will be more effective for a couple reasons; the main one being that the contrast of light and dark will make the dark scarier. Silent Hill 2 mostly takes place during overcast days... When it shifts to night, it's more effective than if it was always night. Also, big snow area matches what I see as the main inspiration; The Thing.

I wish it was universal ammo. I fucking hate carrying around ammo for guns I don't use. Playing micromanagement is not the best part of Dead Space.

I find it hilarious that we went "THEY'RE PUTTING GUN-SPECIFIC AMMO IN MASS EFFECT! FUCK EA!" and now we more going "THEY'RE TAKING GUN-SPECIFIC AMMO FROM DEAD SPACE!! FUCK EA!"

#8 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Man if Kurt Russell was in this game...

Not with you on universal ammo. Yes it was cumbersome and tedious but there was something gratifying about seeing the ammo you wanted pop out of a necromorph after a good stomping.

#9 Edited by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@ValiantGrizzly said:

I havent tried the hardcore mode in Dead Space 2 yet, how rare is ammo and med-kits.

Hardcore is just the 'Survivalist' difficulty (one after normal), with the added handicap of limited saves of course. So if you've played through that mode already (preferably not via NG+), then you'll primarily know what to expect regarding supplies. Frankly for me personally, Hardcore's source of difficulty stems from my paranoia, anxiety, and self-awareness to the fact that if I die, I'm going to potentially have to start all over again. It's fascinating how much it played with my mind; I first started Dead Space 2 straight from the Survivalist difficulty, which wasn't too hard, but even still Hardcore mode proved to be incredibly terrifying and more stressful than when I even played through on Zealot.

EDIT: As an example, I actually died against the end boss... which I had never done in any of my previous playthroughs nor even the following Zealot run, either.

As for Dead Space 3, I don't know what to think. I'm not particularly optimistic even after reading through the article because I'm sure that at best, it's going to be an extension of Dead Space 2 rather than a continuation of the slower pace of the original Dead Space. With that in mind, I feel like I'm already set on moving on from the series.

#10 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Hardcore is just the 'Survivalist' difficulty (one after normal), with the added handicap of limited saves of course. So if you've played through that mode already (preferably not via NG+), then you'll primarily know what to expect regarding supplies. Frankly for me personally, Hardcore's source of difficulty stems from my paranoia, anxiety, and self-awareness to the fact that if I die, I'm going to potentially have to start all over again. It's fascinating how much it played with my mind; I first started Dead Space 2 straight from the Survivalist difficulty, which wasn't too hard, but even still Hardcore mode proved to be incredibly terrifying and more stressful than when I even played through on Zealot.

As for Dead Space 3, I don't know what to think. I'm not particularly optimistic even after reading through the article because I'm sure that at best, it's going to be an extension of Dead Space 2 rather than a continuation of the slower pace of the original Dead Space. With that in mind, I feel like I'm already set on moving on from the series.

In your case I don't think anything post-DS2 was going to get you excited about DS3. Personally I adored DS2 because it mixed action and suspense damn well, especially in Hardcore mode but I can see how a DS1 fan wouldn't be stoked about any news on 3 after how nuts the sequel got in places.

#11 Edited by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

@living4theday258: Does "amazing DLC" = overpowered guns that break the early game's difficulty and an Isaac statue? Because EA will probably have you covered there.

Nah I don't like it when I get awesome stuff right off the bat, I feel like i didn't earn anything. I mean something like a few extra hours of gameplay or something similar to that.

@Yummylee: wait there was a "Final Boss" do you mean the hunter or director tideman?(not sure if thats spelled right)

#12 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I wish it was universal ammo. I fucking hate carrying around ammo for guns I don't use. Playing micromanagement is not the best part of Dead Space. I find it hilarious that we went "THEY'RE PUTTING GUN-SPECIFIC AMMO IN MASS EFFECT! FUCK EA!" and now we more going "THEY'RE TAKING GUN-SPECIFIC AMMO FROM DEAD SPACE!! FUCK EA!"

Well yes and no to universal ammo. Considering that Dead Space is an Action Horror Survival game, scarcity of ammunition is fitting of course. When you're forced to use the weapon you don't particularly like and aren't as good with because you rarely use it, nice, especially in "oh shit" situations. That fits the horror theme quite well.

At the same time though, I have to admit that both, Dead Space 1 and 2 turned into this item-tycoon game for me. Because once you figure the system out, you know how to play effectively. And that is picking up everything and selling it at those stores, except from the ammu you need for actual shooting. Because of the way the upgrading system in Dead Space worked, more money early on meant more Nodes, more Nodes meant more upgrades, more upgrades mean a much, much easier time and... thus you're more cost effective and can upgrade even quicker etc. pp.

It's this snowballing effect that, for me personally, became the biggest aspect of the game, which is undoubtedly bad. Because really, in a horror game I don't want to end up super overpowered in the end because I did some decent economic thinking. It's also not exactly fun gameplay to pick up every damn item from the ground, run to the shop and so on. When that stuff takes up 50% of your gametime then there's something wrong. I also didn't really like the way item dropped in Dead Space 2. A guaranteed drop from every single enemy - nope, that just added to my issues.

#13 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

@living4theday258: EA will start packaging in substantial single-player DLC into pre-orders when hell freezes over. Although they did bundle the PS3 version fo DS2 with Extraction, so maybe I'm being too cynical.

#14 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

This is why people shouldn't render judgements from press show coverage alone. Dead Space 3 is a definite buy for me, and I have no doubt that it will scare the shit out of me.

#15 Posted by Rabid619 (1095 posts) -

I'm still incredibly excited for this game. It looks like it will be different, sure, but Visceral has done so damn well with the franchise up to this point I think that they deserve a bit of wiggle room to improve the games in ways we wouldn't expect. However, there still is a part of me that is a little bit worried, but that article did a good job of easing that. Hearing that the combat roll has that same weighty feel as everything else in DS is a great thing to hear.

Though I genuinely hope no one thought that the game would be less scary because of snow. Snow can be more terrifying than even the darkest of places under the right circumstances. Anyone who has been in the middle of a blizzard, barely able to see the hand in front of their faces will understand that. Anyone who hasn't experienced that... well, DS3 will probably bring some good fun to you then. Some good, pants crapping fun.

#16 Posted by AssInAss (2621 posts) -

There's quite a few snow blizzard horror games they could be inspired from, like Cryostasis Sleep of Reason.

#17 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Well, Dead Space was never survival horror to begin with but it straddled the line between horror and action well enough. This game seems to be going full action, which makes me much less interested.

#18 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Dead Space 1 and 2 were both great games, I expect Dead Space 3 will be too.

#19 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

I've been pretty happy with what I've seen and heard about DS3, I really don't need convincing. I will be getting it.

#20 Edited by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

@living4theday258: I mean the part where you're fighting Nicole's ''ghost'' along side a small horde of those necromorph kids.

#21 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

My thought's on basing games of trailers and demos sum up to: "Mass Effect 2 character trailers"

#22 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Why are people complaining 1 was a modern survival masterpiece, 2 added heaps of action and was still great and 3 adds co-op and to anyone saying co-op takes away from the scares is insane it just makes it more fun like watching scary movies in a group.

@Liquidus said:

Well, Dead Space was never survival horror to begin with but it straddled the line between horror and action well enough. This game seems to be going full action, which makes me much less interested.

I disagree, Dead Space 1 had alot of moments when I had little ammo, 1 bar of life and had to get though some impossible odds.

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5639 posts) -

Guess what guys? This game will be Dead Space. Save your judgment until the game comes out.

#24 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@Yummylee: Ohhh yea, I forgot about that part.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.