Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Am I missing something?

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FirePrince

I've managed to play the game for a bit, I'm a couple hours in. And I kinda think it's not very good.

First of all, the fact that you have 2 weapons is downright bad. I'm pretty sure you were able to carry 4 in DS2, and that was perfect. You could use the weapons that you needed AND the ones you liked. This 2 weapon system also seems completely devoid of sense as they introduced a crafting system which allows you to build new cool weapons. But you can only take 2 of them.

I've fought the same boss fight 2 times now, and by the looks of it, I'll fight it one more time, because why design new boss fights I guess?

The camera is mediocre. It's not bad. But it isn't good either. I don't know what's up with it, is it because I'm playing with the "classic" camera and not the default one? The camera just loves getting caught up on corners, and every time I back up to a wall the camera makes it so I can barely see anything. Speaking of seeing, it's either my monitor, or the game, but this is the first game that made me adjust the brightness. I played DS2 on the PC, and that was dark too, but you still could see or at least understand your surroundings. Here, I've stumbled across areas that are fucking impossible to decipher without the use of the flashlight, which is aiming, which makes movement when you're not fighting unbearably slow.

Enemies lack variety and seems to rush you every single time. Also, they seem kinda faster, but it just feels weird to have the necromorphs move this fast. Even though you now have a dodge, most of the time you'll just get hit while dodging, because you don't have that much space to, you know, dodge. Also, if you get hit while dodging, you will not be notified at all, which lead to some unexpected deaths. Isaac always flinches or screams when he gets hit, but when you're dodging, he's silent all the time. You'll dodge through a bunch of enemies only to realize that you've lost half your health.

Am I missing something here?

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By weirdo

From what i have seen you can change how the weapons work, Aaron Hanson turned the plasma cutter thing into a Plasma Boomerang and at the underside you got the rifle. So you got the third weapon from DS2 and a new variation. It seems, from what i saw, you can change how the weapons work so the need for 4 weapons wasn't really needed.

But i haven't played the game and it remains to be seen what you can make at the near end game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vitor

@FirePrince: No, that's all pretty accurate.

You can attach mods to weapons which give them two firing modes, essentially letting you have 4 but it is confusing at first.

And playing it on Hard, the super fast enemies and nerfed weapon damage means you'll be taking a lot of cheap hits at the start of chapter 2. I've been told things get better once you get a few damage upgrades though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Sounds like you don't enjoy this video game.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FirePrince

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Sounds like you don't enjoy this video game.

Not at all.

So, you guys make a point. But I rarely use my secondary because I'm not into reloading for half the game time. You have to reload for both weapons. Including melee attachments, as I've seen. Which are pointless, because the necros can deal way more melee damage than you can.

And I'm not getting all reload speed upgrades.

Also, why are people going like "Best Dead Space since Dead Space".

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Eidderf

@FirePrince:I don't know, from the reviews I've been seeing it's been weirdly all over the place.It's kind of disheartening to read some that say things along the lines of you probably won't enjoy it as much if you've been a fan of the previous games. It's a similar thing with Mass Effect in that they proposing that was a good place to jump on, I can understand why they'd want to do that from a sales point of view but not sure how well that tactic works.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

Ugh, fuck.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

Sounds like Brad isn't crazy about it either. I think a lot of people are probably going to share your opinion.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaggE

This game is going to be ridiculously divisive.

Also, as someone who's loving it so far, I also feel that the people who aren't liking it are completely justified in their complaints. This is a really weird game compared to the first two. Whether that's good or not is going to vary wildly from person to person.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FirePrince

@Eidderf: I'm a huge fan of 2. One of my favourite games this console gen.

This just feels mediocre, or a bit above it. It's weird, but all the flashy production value can't hide the glaring problems.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

Sad to hear the story is kind of garbage, I always thought the religion stuff was going somewhere interesting.

After watching the QL the micro transactions are more gross than I thought they would be too, it's just a sad spectacle to see that stuff in a $60 game. Mass Effect 3 was just as bad if you ask me, multiplayer should have been a free download if they are including those transactions. It's free to play without the free.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By swat200

i feel like the studio forgot what made dead space good in the first place. both 1 and 2 were great for the atmospheric horror they provided. this just seems like a boring 3rd person shooter. sad to see EA lose another franchise down the shitter in persuit of a wider audience.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Sooty: I had the same reaction. I'm actually sort of flabbergasted how far they drove the microtransaction knife into this game. That scavenger bot thing is pretty egregious.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dacnomaniac

I never really liked Dead Space, mainly because the story never interested me. So it just felt incredibly recycled.

rotorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rotorious

Kotaku ran a lengthy review today basically encapsulating everything that has been said on this thread. I will reiterate the overwhelming sentiment on here as well with a very toned down....fuck.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By BrittonPeele

@FirePrince said:

First of all, the fact that you have 2 weapons is downright bad. I'm pretty sure you were able to carry 4 in DS2, and that was perfect. You could use the weapons that you needed AND the ones you liked. This 2 weapon system also seems completely devoid of sense as they introduced a crafting system which allows you to build new cool weapons. But you can only take 2 of them.

I thought the same thing at first, but by customizing weapons efficiently, you can have two weapons that each have a second weapon attached, in a way.

For example, your Plasma Cutter's alt fire could be a Ripper Blade (both of which could be electrified), and your contact beam can double as a shotgun that shoots acid bullets.

In this way, it's a bit like having the four weapons you're used to, just in a different way. I dunno, I played through the entire campaign and didn't ever feel like I needed to carry more firepower, but then again I use the Plasma Cutter for the vast majority of all Dead Space games anyway.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Canteu

Why do people think they're "missing something" when they don't enjoy a game?

Are people so out of touch with themselves they don't know what they like and dislike?

It boggles the mind.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FirePrince

@Canteu said:

Why do people think they're "missing something" when they don't enjoy a game?

Are people so out of touch with themselves they don't know what they like and dislike?

It boggles the mind.

The idea of the stuff I wrote was based on my first thought on the game :" Am I missing upgrades that allow more guns to be carried?".

I got carried away with the idea.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Canteu

@FirePrince: Alright duder, fair play. It's just often I see people ask if they're missing something when clearly they just don't like something. It's always so weird to me.

If you don't like it, finding the missing piece isn't going to change that.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

So far it's been a rollercoaster ride of "OH cool!" and "ehh.." but I've gotten to the more typical dark hallways and echoing moans type of setting.

Although I never thought it would happen I am feeling series fatigue with this one from the get-go. Despite some cool moments a lot of it feels kind of by the numbers - necromorphs that pop up off the ground and out of vents. There is no way this game could have been scary no matter what they did, because you've just seen too much of it already for any of these jump scares to have an actual impact.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FirePrince

@Humanity:

They used the same vents for the monster closets. THE SAME. FUCKING. VENTS.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Humanity

@FirePrince said:

@Humanity:

They used the same vents for the monster closets. THE SAME. FUCKING. VENTS.

I don't remember that well, so far I'm really early in the game but the station and whatnot looks different enough and they still have the same attention to detail. I'm not quite sure what the deal with the ladders is? They're so prominent with those blue neons its almost as if they're trying to tell me climbing ladders is some sort of new feature (which it is in a way but seriously)

The intro to Dead Space 1 was amazing and all the weapons were so fun and unique because you were on a mining ship and they were mining tools - thats why everything was so huge and bulky and weird.

Dead Space 2 had an equally amazing intro and they also worked the weapons into the story having you disassemble a surgical laser and duct tape it to a flash light - why the other weapons from the first games were there, who knows, but at least they made the effort for the iconic plasma cutter.

Now this Dead Space 3 intro without spoilers is really nice at first but then the second half of it with the human enemies is not that cool and the weapons don't really make any sense.

I'm obviously going to beat the game so we'll see how it goes but it has had the weakest opening sequence thus far. Also I'm also having some sort of sensitivity issues with the camera and aiming but it's something I'll get used to I think.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NathanStack

@Humanity said:

The intro to Dead Space 1 was amazing and all the weapons were so fun and unique

That's funny because I ended up playing the whole game with nothing but the plasma cutter for the achievement.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kerse

fuck man, Dead Space 1 and 2 are probably in my top 10 games this generation, so this is pretty depressing.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says

Can you start the game on classic mode right away or do I need to unlock it first? Also is the classic aiming available from the get-go?

Thanks for the help.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee

@Vinny_Says said:

Can you start the game on classic mode right away or do I need to unlock it first? Also is the classic aiming available from the get-go?

Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure you've got to unlock Classic mode. Classic aiming is available from the outset, though, somewhere in the options. Was really surprised to see Brad not even pick up on that Dead Space 3 by default sticks you with a huge dot instead of laser-sights.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Yummylee said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure you've got to unlock Classic mode. Classic aiming is available from the outset, though, somewhere in the options. Was really surprised to see Brad not even pick up on that Dead Space 3 by default sticks you with a huge dot instead of laser-sights.

Well I can still kinda make my own classic mode by just crafting the classic weapons so I guess it's fine. I'm still interested in seeing this new crafting system however but I also want to beat the game with only a plasma cutter.....so many options :)

Also yeah Brad is known to be oblivious to a bunch of things when it comes to video games haha

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kerse
    @Vinny_Says

@Yummylee said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Thanks for the help.

Well I can still kinda make my own classic mode by just crafting the classic weapons so I guess it's fine. I'm still interested in seeing this new crafting system however but I also want to beat the game with only a plasma cutter.....so many options :)

Also yeah Brad is known to be oblivious to a bunch of things when it comes to video games haha

Yeah I love Brad but he misses some pretty obvious stuff sometimes lol.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Yummylee

@kerse said:

@Vinny_Says

@Yummylee said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I love Brad but he misses some pretty obvious stuff sometimes lol.

Wuh-woooooooo! Bradley and Kerse sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I'm truly sorry.

Please don't throw me in the TV.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

All I need is a plasma cutter and my wits. Also a rocket launcher shotgun with an electric and acid mod.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.