Anybody else not enjoying Dead Space 3

#1 Posted by Luca717 (81 posts) -

i have not played through the whole thing, and dont really want to include any spoilers in this thread, but i am on chapter 5, and i think im starting 6 but there hasnt been anything that stands out and makes me actually want to continue playing. the story seems garbage and the pc version im playing looks jaggy as hell, and im running it max. idk, just curious if anyone else isnt finding it too good, considering i loved the first 2

#2 Posted by Mastertarvin (53 posts) -

I've had to make myself stop playing every night since Tuesday so I can actually get some sleep before work. To say I've been enjoying it would be an understatement. I also really liked the first two but so far I'm liking this one the best. I think the crafting stuff is a really good addition and its constantly got my trying new guns. I'm playing on PS3 and so far the frame rate has been pretty solid, some of the textures are kind of muddy but nothing to bad.

#3 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@Luca717 said:

i have not played through the whole thing, and dont really want to include any spoilers in this thread, but i am on chapter 5, and i think im starting 6 but there hasnt been anything that stands out and makes me actually want to continue playing. the story seems garbage and the pc version im playing looks jaggy as hell, and im running it max. idk, just curious if anyone else isnt finding it too good, considering i loved the first 2

I can see where you're coming from but I urge you to keep playing. The problem with Dead Space 3 is that it is a considerably larger game than the other two and because of that, it has some pacing issues. Dead Space 2 started off with action up the wazoo and stayed strong throughout, DS3 however has a good opening where (minor spoilers) you're escaping and it's action packed and then you get on a ship and boom, you're stranded and the game slows down completely and presents you with fetch quests. But, once you finish those and land on the ice planet (chapter 7 I believe.) the game becomes more daring, the story becomes more interesting and the landscapes and setpieces stand out more.

Not only that, but you also get more bench parts that make the weapon creation aspect more fun. So, stick it out for a little while longer and you'll start to love the game, I'm sure.

#4 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

Im in about the same place , maybe a bit behind, im enjoying it at times but at others i feel like im just moving from place to place waiting for something to happen

#5 Posted by tyler1285 (169 posts) -

This game would be better if it didn't put those stupid regenerating monsters that nobody liked from 2 right at the beginning. Also endlessly respawning enemies.

#6 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

I'm on Chapter 6 and I'm not impressed. Like Brad said the game isn't terrible it just doesn't hold a candle to any of the other main Dead Space games. Hell Extraction is better than this. I hope this series still has legs.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (13849 posts) -

The thing that struck me in the quick-look is because of there only being simply just one ammo type once you craft one bad-ass gun like for instance brad had that rocket launcher thing in the quick-look why would you ever want to build anymore guns? Looking from the outside in here that seems like one of the biggest head scratchers for me.

#8 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

The thing that struck me in the quick-look is because of there only being simply just one ammo type once you craft one bad-ass gun like for instance brad had that rocket launcher thing in the quick-look why would you ever want to build anymore guns? Looking from the outside in here that seems like one of the biggest head scratchers for me.

Because you unlock better parts to build a more bad ass gun or you experiment and find out that there are better bad ass guns out there.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (13849 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Because you unlock better parts to build a more bad ass gun or you experiment and find out that there are better bad ass guns out there.

I guess. It just seems wholly unappealing to me. The contemplation over what weapons to bring along has always been a great part of survival horror although I guess you'd be hard pressed to call this survival horror anymore. So hey whatever. =\

#10 Posted by themangalist (1675 posts) -

I'm on chapter 6 as well, and it's crazy to think they took Dead Space in such a weird direction. The past 2 games were really about the atmosphere and much less about plot or setting. DS3 suddenly dumps in all this story that probably was what the devs have always intended, but just feels so out of place or lame because we aren't used to it. The Unitologist Church in DS2 was pretty out of placeI felt even back then, and now the prologue of DS3 with terrorists just screams stupid in my face. And just got the first peek of the "love triangle". Gawd, eff dat shit.

One good thing I'd say is that it runs much better on my pc than DS2 ever had.

#11 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@Demoskinos said:

I guess. It just seems wholly unappealing to me. The contemplation over what weapons to bring along has always been a great part of survival horror although I guess you'd be hard pressed to call this survival horror anymore. So hey whatever. =\

Well, I was completely opposed to the whole create a weapon thing too in the beginning but I ended up loving it. Also, I thought that Dead Space 2 already established that it was moving away from being a survival horror series so this game kind of took that approach and went all out with it. Although, they do introduce some new enemies that are really unsettling to look at...

#12 Edited by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

@Luca717: Having just gone through my first play through of Dead Space 3 I remember a speech Rocksteady gave at DICE last year after Arkham City.

Basically he goes on how if your a development studio, even if you have a ton of different gameplay ideas. If they are not that good you should cut them focus on what you are good at.

So for Dead Space 3 even though they added rock climbing/ descending elements of gameplay they were not good. So cut them and focus on what you are good at. Creating an creepy environment with new enemies with good pacing and refining what worked for the first two.

I could go on and I know that DS2 added the free fall gameplay element but you catch my drift.

edit: it's around 11:11 where he talks about game features.

#13 Edited by ShaggE (5980 posts) -

Well... it kills me to admit it considering how much I was praising it at the beginning, but after about three hours on the ice planet... I don't know. It's not great. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game that I enjoy playing (in small chunks), but DS2 set a precedent that this pales next to. Brad was dead on in his assessment.

I normally hate when trilogies extend past three when it's unnecessary to expand the story, but I do hope the inevitable "Dead Space 4: Necromorphin' Power Rangers" gets a good chance to revive the franchise. I want 3 to be remembered as the weird, fun, but disappointing black sheep, not the nosedive that killed the series.

Edit: On the bright side, since I'm playing this in small chunks, I'll have some fresh Dead Space gameplay for a while, so that's cool. I played 2 so much that I nearly have it memorized.

#14 Posted by cannedstingray (380 posts) -

I'm not too sure if I'm enjoying it much anymore. DS2 I played every night after work till i beat it and loved it.. DS3 I played when the preload unlocked Monday night, played Tuesday night, and Wednesday night. Tonight though I got an urge to play Red Dead instead, so I did.. I feel like I was still enjoying it last night, but don't feel drawn to it like I was with Dead Space 2.

#15 Posted by Danteveli (1081 posts) -

I have to say I enjoyed it way more than Dead Space 2. Maybe because I expected something worse and I was not disappointed with it like I was with DS2.

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11001 posts) -

Having beat it, my opinion echoes that of Brad, in that the first half of the game (the ships) is far better than the second half (the ice planet). That last climbing sequence is SO TERRIBLE. Like, a lot of the weapon crafting and customizing is actually pretty awesome, but the game really does use the same 3 or 4 types of enemies for the longest time without mixing anything up and it all becomes so yawn-inducing. This is all basically what I'm going to write in my blog, by the way.

#17 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

Haven't beaten it yet but I'm playing it like I played DS and DS2 with the classic plasma cutter and classic aiming and I'm having fun. I kind of want to know where the story is going and I'm enjoying floating around in space. I was genuinely creeped out when I first got into the 200 year old ship in space, I hope there's more of that. And I think the dialogue is alright, I'm not sure what Brad hated about it.

The weapon crafting I ignored completely because I never have enough resources for anything, but like Brad said that will probably change as I progress. I did spend resources to upgrade my suit so that's cool. That gold suit looks hella pimp son!

I'm enjoying it so far and I really want to play more, which is more than I can say about some other recent games I've been playing. I also recently got totally sucked back into the Halo 4 trap (yeah that game is awesome deal with it) so I'm splitting my time between Dead Space 3 and Halo 4.

#18 Edited by blake_brown (115 posts) -

I loved DS1 and 2 and have been thoroughly enjoying this outing so far. That being said, this is the weakest of the series but not by much.

My issues with the game include the human combat, while not terrible, it's also just not compelling.

I really don't like the love angle subplot. It's lame to begin with and just doesn't make sense thematically. How can a guy get finished running for his life from horrific killing-machines to then immediately launch into petty squabbles with some dude who's banging your ex-girlfriend. It's dumb.

I actually enjoy the idea of Issac as a character, but this furthers the idea that he belongs on his own. Whenever other characters are in the mix it gets very tiresome.

The trailers gave me the impression that the game was going to be Ellie and Isaac getting separated near the beginning and the game would be the search for her. While simplistic and predictable, this would have been far more enjoyable than the route they chose to take.

All the other Dead Space elements are in top form. Unlike Brad, I actually really enjoy Tau Volantis so far. It's the first time in the game that I've been truly scared. They really nailed a tough sell of making outdoor environments unsettling and it's a welcome change of pace.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

Other than the awkward opening with the stupid human firefights it's been ok because it's basically more Dead Space, but I don't feel the kind of excitement that I had with the past game.

#20 Posted by Luca717 (81 posts) -

yea i like the idea of the 2 guns, but 4 guns idea, where two are on one handle, but it would have been much harder to survive and manage 4 ammo types on 2 guns constantly. woulda been way better

#21 Posted by Luca717 (81 posts) -

thanks man! imma have to check that out when i get home from work

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@buft said:

Im in about the same place , maybe a bit behind, im enjoying it at times but at others i feel like im just moving from place to place waiting for something to happen

Couldn't have said it any better myself, also for me when I'm waiting for something to happen that doesn't really mean action set piece. Those things just end up having the reverse effect on me now.

#23 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@buft said:

Couldn't have said it any better myself, also for me when I'm waiting for something to happen that doesn't really mean action set piece. Those things just end up having the reverse effect on me now.

One thing ive noticed is that every room seems to have that jump scare piece so when i first enter a room i feel like im sherlock holmes from the new movies " two vents, monsters dropping from roof, a monster closet, move to the left and use stasis, rinse and repeat" its lost all the effect.

#24 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@buft said:

im enjoying it at times but at others i feel like im just moving from place to place waiting for something to happen

Is it safe to say, then, that the developer went from the surreal atmospheric horror vibe of the first two games, to the DOOM 3 formula of moving forward and having jumpscares at every turn in this game?

#25 Posted by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

@buft said:

im enjoying it at times but at others i feel like im just moving from place to place waiting for something to happen

Is it safe to say, then, that the developer went from the surreal atmospheric horror vibe of the first two games, to the DOOM 3 formula of moving forward and having jumpscares at every turn in this game?

Pretty much, there's also quite a bit of rock climbing/descending near the last third of the game. The very last part of the game has a pretty unique and kind of cool environment that you haven't really seen before. That section is kind of brief though.

I've bitched about it a ton on the forums, it's not as bad as I bitch about it. But do I think it's worth buying at full retail for $60? Hell no..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.