Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Best place to catch up on story

RiteHandLuv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RiteHandLuv

So I passed up on the first 2 games and am really interested in 3 for some reason. Wheres the best place to read up on the story? Also how long are the first two games?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By MildMolasses

Well, 2 had a "previously on" summary you could watch, so it's possible they may have the same thing in 3. Each game is 10-12 hours, and the game pages on this site have pretty detailed summaries of the first 2 games

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pweidman

My recommendation would be to play the first two games because they are easily worthy on their own.

But there are plenty of places to get caught up on the storyline and the previous endeavors and experiences of Isacc if you wanna avoid the possible burnout before the next impending installment. Wiki for one.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By BrittonPeele

@MildMolasses said:

Well, 2 had a "previously on" summary you could watch, so it's possible they may have the same thing in 3.

They do.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By big_jon

@RiteHandLuv: The opening of the third game covers it, so don't worry about it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sooty

Play the first two because it's unlikely this one will be anywhere near as good.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

@Sooty said:

Play the first two because it's unlikely this one will be anywhere near as good.

Why do you continue going around to any thread you can find with the sole purpose of downplaying this game that you haven't even played yet? If you're really a fan of the series wouldn't you want to be optimistic that it's going to be good? Wouldn't you also hold judgement before you actually played it? You've judged an entire 12+ hr experience based on a few trailers and gameplay videos? Normally I don't even say anything but I guess I just don't understand the motivation of people that talk down games they haven't played and have no intention of playing - especially when they aren't even out.

@RiteHandLuv said:

So I passed up on the first 2 games and am really interested in 3 for some reason. Wheres the best place to read up on the story? Also how long are the first two games?

You can basically read the Wiki on this site and get caught up quite well. If you have a lot of time on your hands then I'd highly recommend both previous games as they are really awesome - but they're quite lengthy, not a 6-7hr type of ordeal. So if you don't have that kind of time on your hands and are impatient to just dive into DS3 then read the wiki and youtube the endings.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space zombies and evil cult of space zombies. That pretty much covers it

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

You should absolutely play the first two if you are interested in this one, no question. There will be a "previously on" in the third game, there are wikis you could read, but the first two are still some of the best games of this generation and you should play them.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By s10129107

go to YOUTUBE. or, the first two games are pretty cheap. DS1 is great. Dead space 2 is pretty good as well.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Ah, just play 3 and get back around to the first 2. It's like a non-linear way to go through the story. I'd be sure-as-heck jealous.

Oh, and don't forget about Extraction!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sooty

@Humanity said:

@Sooty said:

Why do you continue going around to any thread you can find with the sole purpose of downplaying this game that you haven't even played yet? If you're really a fan of the series wouldn't you want to be optimistic that it's going to be good? Wouldn't you also hold judgement before you actually played it? You've judged an entire 12+ hr experience based on a few trailers and gameplay videos? Normally I don't even say anything but I guess I just don't understand the motivation of people that talk down games they haven't played and have no intention of playing - especially when they aren't even out.

I'm not going around to any thread I can find, I only use this website based off the latest threads section. (I had an old tab open, this was on there still)

I was a fan of the series until E3, everything about this game has done nothing but sour me on it further. It's pretty obvious it won't be as good if you're after survival horror, 2 already stripped away some of that.

and I don't give money to developers who shoehorn in micro-transactions on top of their already $60 game.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

Watch a let's play! :D

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By JNSK

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.