Co-Op confirmed

#1 Posted by Fahrenheit (85 posts) -

I dunno about you guys but i'm a little bummed. Thats gonna zap all the tension out the game. I'll still buy it and play it but the horror game is now dead.

#2 Posted by Marcsman (2867 posts) -

I disagree. This could be good.

#3 Posted by EXTomar (4119 posts) -

Co-op isn't the problem. The issue is that they appear to be pushing it more and more and more towards RE5.

#4 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Very disappointing. Demo made it looked very Gearsy. Gears already exists. I wanted Dead Space. Intense, scary, close quarters violence.

Oh well. I guess It's time to look for a new series.

#5 Posted by PerryVandell (2099 posts) -

I'm a little skeptical of a Dead Space co-op mode, but to say "the horror game is now dead" for a game you've watched 8 minutes of is way too presumptive. Play the game before you make statements like that.

#6 Posted by Sooty (8077 posts) -

Those one liners, got me every time!

#7 Posted by eunao2 (116 posts) -

The co op is not mandatory you can just play single player and the second dude will disappear giving you a plain ass dead space game

#8 Posted by Mikey2D (217 posts) -

I feel there are ways to make a co-op horror game, but sadly from that demo I'm not seeing anything like what I'd hoped would be involved.

I'll keep an eye on it - it might surprise us yet, but like other people I agree that it's coming across very much like Gears thus far.

#9 Posted by Fahrenheit (85 posts) -

It's not only the co-op but just the game played they showed looked like Gears of Evil 5.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Horror is a theme, not a genre. There can be a co-op horror game as easily as a co-op fantasy or co-op sci-fi game.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11032 posts) -

@PerryVandell said:

I'm a little skeptical of a Dead Space co-op mode, but to say "the horror game is now dead" for a game you've watched 8 minutes of is way too presumptive. Play the game before you make statements like that.

I think you're right that it's too soon to freak out; however, now that we've seen some of the game it isn't too soon to be concerned a little bit as to what it's actually going to end up being.

For the record, Resident Evil 5 isn't very good as a single player game but as a co-op game it was fantastic. Am I the only one who all of a sudden forgot this or am I the only one with someone who is willing to play RE5 with me?

#12 Edited by EXTomar (4119 posts) -

The reason why I favor using RE5 over Gears of War as an example is that thematically RE5 has a lot of issues. For whatever reasons, the series shifted away from "people caught in an unexpected crisis fighting off the evil scheme" to "dude-bro shooter on a mission to take out the bad guy". At least for me it would be a shame if the very same thing happens to Dead Space because I find the former a more compelling idea than the later.

#13 Posted by PerryVandell (2099 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@PerryVandell said:

I'm a little skeptical of a Dead Space co-op mode, but to say "the horror game is now dead" for a game you've watched 8 minutes of is way too presumptive. Play the game before you make statements like that.

I think you're right that it's too soon to freak out; however, now that we've seen some of the game it isn't too soon to be concerned a little bit as to what it's actually going to end up being.

For the record, Resident Evil 5 isn't very good as a single player game but as a co-op game it was fantastic. Am I the only one who all of a sudden forgot this or am I the only one with someone who is willing to play RE5 with me?

I'm not saying you can't be concerned (I know I am), it's just foolish to completely dismiss a game based on a short demo that's not even available to the public. RE 5 didn't have as much horror as I would've liked, but a co-op mode alone doesn't mean the games will turn out the same.

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (13968 posts) -

I don't think it necessarily ruins the experience, the way I see it the co-op is just about a different kind of experience.

Moderator
#15 Posted by PresidentOfJellybeans (283 posts) -

Add friendly fire and a sanity meter mechanic. Maybe lose some sanity and start seeing your buddy as a necromorph, or see necromorphs that aren't there. Buddy sees you going crazy and has to decide if he needs to take you out before you take him/her out. If you know you're losing sanity can also cause you to pause before blasting actual necromorphs, not wanting to startle/shoot your buddy.

#16 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1291 posts) -

Hey did you guys know you can drop in and then drop out of the coop at any time? They are calling this concept "Drop In, Drop Out Co-op".

#17 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

@PresidentOfJellybeans said:

Add friendly fire and a sanity meter mechanic. Maybe lose some sanity and start seeing your buddy as a necromorph, or see necromorphs that aren't there. Buddy sees you going crazy and has to decide if he needs to take you out before you take him/her out. If you know you're losing sanity can also cause you to pause before blasting actual necromorphs, not wanting to startle/shoot your buddy.

I agree on friendly fire being a thing! Seems appropriate for dead space!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.