Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Dead Space 3 and microtransactions?

TheBarkingCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheBarkingCat

I suppose given all the other missteps the game is making, this should come as no surprise.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/22/pay-as-you-churn-dead-space-3s-microtransactions/

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

As long as they are avoidable and aren't part of a play to win model then i dont really care.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By joshthebear

This does not surprise me at all.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By PerryVandell

I'll judge the game when I play it myself, but this is just EA doing what EA does. Remember 2008 when EA announced they were doing the exact same thing in Battlefield: Bad Company. As I recall, people gave a fit over it and EA reversed their decision.

It might be gross, but I'm fine with EA offering micro transactions as an option so long that the game isn't a laborious chore without it. Guess we'll see in February.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ouch. It will probably won't be a necessity, but if you want the best weapons in the game I could totally see them making you pay for it.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By rahulricky

I guess the horrible trend of in-app payments for games that aren't free in the first place is soon to be ubiquitous and not just mobile-based.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By david3cm

I didn't care in mass effect and I don't care now. As long as I can get everything without spending real world money I am fine with that. And I am curious about what you consider "other missteps" since this game isn't out and you would be basing your opinion off of a small gameplay demo.

TheBarkingCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBarkingCat

@david3cm: I base it on the gameplay demos and developer interviews that I have come across. I realize that it is unrealistic to expect any game series to cater to only the things that I like about them and to ignore those features that I dislike, but I am selfish when it comes to things that I like. This colors my opinion heavily, and the things that I consider "missteps" could be incentives to draw in new players to the franchise. It's all opinion.

I consider the move towards a more action oriented and coop focused experience to be missteps. You can break those down into numerous "other missteps". But like I said, it's all opinion, and I have a narrow view of what I want to see in a Dead Space game. I will still play it, and it may prove my apprehension misplaced.

As far as the microtransactions go, I find it gross simply because of the coop. If you decide to play with someone else, who is to say that they didn't spend real world money to kit themselves out with something that is overpowered, making for a less than stellar experience playing with them. If they are cutting through enemies with little effort, it cheapens your experience. In a single player game, if a company wants to sell high end gear, then it is up to the player to decide if they want that to alter the experience, but playing coop with someone that has purchased overpowered gear takes that choice away from you.

Probably petty, but I stand by it.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Sander

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

As long as they are avoidable and aren't part of a play to win model then i dont really care.

But how can you win if you don't play?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust

Well the future trends really are coming fast... I like to have the best experience with my games, so I won't support it.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

@Sander said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

But how can you win if you don't play?

*pay

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By crusader8463

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

I wish I felt that way too, but just seeing little dollar signs next to everything in game and having menus asking me to put in my credit card information while I play takes me out of the game completely.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

Not surprising considering Dante's Inferno had them. Sad though as these decisions do influence the game design even a tiny bit.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Miketakon

Hasn't this always been in Dead Space? I remember the fist one having DLC unlocks.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#15  Edited By mcmax3000

I've never really seen the issue with paid unlocks in single player games. Even going back to when the Need for Speed games started doing it years ago, I didn't see why people were in such an uproar. If someone else wants to pay to unlock something in their single player game, instead of playing through the game, why is that a big deal?

Hell, as long as the game is balanced, I don't even care about it being an option in multiplayer.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By geirr

EA happens.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By viking_funeral

I'm not surprised. When I saw it in Mass Effect 3, I knew that they would try to see how far they could take it.

It would be EA to try this too, wouldn't it? Sheesh.

Avatar image for videogamesarenotart
    videogamesarenotart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At what point are people going to start calling out publishers on this kind of crap? Is the future of gaming going to be commercial breaks after boss fights? Seriously, instead of "sexism in video games" articles they should start focusing on things like this because its just going to get worse if nobody does something about it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

This is the market now unfortunately. I just hope these kinds of business practices don't take over the console market completely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.