Dead Space 3 launch trailer.

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by NTM (7281 posts) -

Here it is.

I'm really surprised. I love that song, and it reminds me of when I watched Miami Vice. I'm amazed that they used this song, and if anyone knows, the person that plays Isaac (Gunner Wright) is the one with the face, and it is in parts live action. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally liked this trailer. I'm very excited for Dead Space 3, and I really just like this song, especially when it was used in the first season of Miami Vice and I think it was used well here. What do you guys think? I can find something to criticize about it, but I don't feel like it. I'd like to hear what you have to say. I will of course be getting this on PS3, so the 360 logo wasn't correct :P. I can see how people will dislike it because it doesn't give off a horror vibe, but whatever.

Edit -

Even if you don't care about IGN's opinions, IGN seems to appreciate the game so far from what they've played and said that their skepticisms were mostly cleared, saying it's still very 'Dead Space-y".

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/01/26/ign-au-talks-dead-space-3

Online
#2 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

that was pretty cool, but felt more like a cross between lost planet and halo, rather than dead space.

i really hope this game is great, just because it's been looked upon with doubt for so long.

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

Cool trailer but even as a big fan of the past couple games I'm still going to wait and see on reviews unless there's a steep discount for the PC version out there somewhere cuz I'm sure as shit not paying 60 for a bare bones console port.

#4 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@TheHT: Yeah, it does look like a cross between those, but when considering the first or second Lost Planet, I hope it's better than those. I think anyone that plays the game and think it's going to be like Lost Planet, will, or will hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Online
#5 Posted by MEATBALL (3087 posts) -

Game looks great as far as I'm concerned. Looks better than Dead Space 2 to me.

#6 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@MEATBALL: That's nice to hear, minus the 'better than Dead Space 2". Ha ha. Are you going to get it?

Online
#7 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3803 posts) -

Pretty rad trailer. I'm in for this game, huge fan of the series so far, really hope they don't drop the ball on this one.

#8 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: That's good to hear. I'm surprised at how, so far, people that have posted have responded positively towards the game. I'm used to (other than on Facebook) seeing so many negative comments towards it.

Online
#9 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

Interesting song choice. At least it wasn't dubstep.

#10 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1395 posts) -

I like the tone of the trailer. Basically the viewer is probably familiar with the tricks and story so far, so it's time to get in there and fuck shit up (with a few scares along the way).

#11 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3803 posts) -

@NTM: I think it's probably a combination of some genuine concern mixed with a lot of the usual internet knee-jerk reaction to any changes. If it looks like there's a chance some aspect might be bad it's automatically the worst thing ever. I'm a little worried about it being too much action, no creepy but aside from that I'm still really excited for it. The demo was pretty rad.

#12 Posted by TMBaker (230 posts) -

Neat trailer, love the song choice. Not a fan of the use of a real actor idk maybe I just didn't like he's face, but yes I'm pumped for the game.

#13 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

@Ghost_Cat said:

I like the tone of the trailer. Basically the viewer is probably familiar with the tricks and story so far, so it's time to get in there and fuck shit up (with a few scares along the way).

this ^^^^ isaac got over his fear. It was kinda the point of the 2nd one, I mean he moved on from his dead girl friend physically and emotionally.

#14 Edited by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

phil collins eh- that's an interesting choice. this game continues to go to new places. high time for me to finish dead space 2.

#15 Posted by MEATBALL (3087 posts) -

@NTM said:

@MEATBALL: That's nice to hear, minus the 'better than Dead Space 2". Ha ha. Are you going to get it?

Yeah, I've got it pre-ordered to be delivered to my door on release day. :P I just think it looks like the environments and atmosphere are going to be better than Dead Space 2 (I didn't really think a whole lot of the Sprawl - returning to the Ishimura was incredible, though), I hope I'm right. I think it looks like it'll be super enjoyable either way.

(Expecting that the original game will remain the best, purely for its sense of place and atmosphere, but that doesn't make DS2 bad and it won't make DS3 bad either)

#16 Posted by gomezar7 (61 posts) -

Just a rental for me even though I pre-ordered.

I have not read any good news regarding the horror elements...anyone who can attest to the contrary?

#17 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I liked the Dead Space 2 launch trailer more but this was actually a pretty cool trailer. Very interesting song choice that surprisingly worked.

#18 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@MEATBALL: I'm happy you like Dead Space enough to want the third. I'll have to disagree with you about The Sprawl though, I like it just as much as the Ishimura, which is a lot. I think Tau Volantis and whatever else setting we'll be journeying through in three will be fantastic as well. I'm play, and I'm going to play DS3 because I love sci-fi, it has great characters, a great and interesting story, and just the setting Visceral's created I love. I believe while it may not be quite as scary (though I don't know that), it'll probably have great sound design again, whether that be sound effects, voice work, or music.

@TMBaker: Yeah, I don't think I liked it either. I mean, I'm not gay or anything, but Gunner Wright is a handsome guy, his mean-looking face just didn't do it here, but it was OK.

@spartanlolz92 said:

@Ghost_Cat said:

I like the tone of the trailer. Basically the viewer is probably familiar with the tricks and story so far, so it's time to get in there and fuck shit up (with a few scares along the way).

this ^^^^ isaac got over his fear. It was kinda the point of the 2nd one, I mean he moved on from his dead girl friend physically and emotionally.

Well, I wouldn't say that players aren't in for a few surprises, if that's what you're trying to say, but I agree with the second statement.

@mellotronrules: Yes, do so. How far have you gotten into it?

@msavo: @Mrsignerman44: It was an interesting, and I believe unique song to choose, certainly for such a game.

@gomezar7: Wait... So you pre-ordered the game, but to you, it's worth a rental? Furthermore, the only bad 'news' you've heard about the horror was from a myriad of people that have been complaining that it doesn't look scary, I wouldn't really consider that news, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Online
#19 Edited by Humanity (8861 posts) -

It didn't give me the same sort of chills that the Dead Space 2 trailer did but it was still pretty good. Got my interest back in the game a bit.

@NTM: I gotta agree with Meatball on this one. I too didn't like the Sprawl as much. The Ishimura was great for me because it was a ship and as such it had really interesting interiors. The Sprawl was a station so you had a lot more tame environments like the shopping center or the day care - which all had their cool and unique scares but I suppose I just preferred the much more industrial and 1980's spaceship design of the Ishimura. Also it did wonders for that feeling of isolation - you alone on a ship thats floating in space and no one is coming.

Online
#20 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@Humanity: Yeah, that's understandable. I'm glad you still liked it a bit though.

Online
#21 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@NTM: Oh I loved Dead Space 2. The entire series is probably my favorite new IP of this console generation. The space elevator part, both going up and coming down was just spectacular. It's just as I said the levels were a bit more mundane in SOME places - overall I think it had way more interesting areas than not. Also as mentioned, the return to the Ishimura with the black lights everywhere and the fact that they stretch out no combat to this fever pitch that had you spinning around every 3 seconds was amazing.

Online
#22 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@Humanity: I replied to your comment before your edited it. Anyways, while I can't agree that one's greater than another, I agree entirely with what you did say about those settings. I will say this though, contrary to popular belief, I personally didn't think going back to the Ishimura was scary. I mean, a lot of people said that that's the scariest moment, but I didn't feel it. Aside from that though, I absolutely loved going back to it and it was a sweet surprise. The Ishimura is somewhat reminiscent of the Sulaco or the Nostromo from the Alien series, but still unique in its own way. Furthermore, I know you like Dead Space, I've seen you write highly about it in the past.

Online
#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (918 posts) -

I'm not really interested in this series anymore, it could turn out to be a really good game but it's not going to be a really good horror game and thats what I'm interested in playing. I'v not seen any horror elements shown in any trailers and the fact that you get a free assault rifle with the special edition makes me think there not even advertising it as one any more.

#24 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

The problem here is not that the game is going to be bad. Hitman Absolution wasn't bad, and nor was Conviction. They are all FUN games, that's for sure, they got the cutscenes and the pew pews and the big next gen explosions, it's all fine and dandy, it's all actiony and makes my penis erect with testosterone.

The problem is that they are sequels. To games that had a pattern that identified and distinguished them. And these new sequels don't seem to share much of that design. Whoever buys this game because it says Dead Space, or bought Conviction because it said Splinter Cell, is a moron! BUY THIS GAME, it will be fun, like Black Ops in space, but not because it says Dead Space because the only similar thing, from what I've seen, is the aesthetic.

#25 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

You got your Phil Collins remix in my Lost Plan... er, Dead Space.

.It looks good. But man, I'm real bummed out about the whole microtransactions thing.

#26 Posted by DukesT3 (1893 posts) -

Awesome trailer, I just feel that EA put a lot of say into how this game should turn out.. hope I'm wrong though.

#27 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Pretty psyched for Dead Space 3. Despite "horror" not really being a genre i favor (or deal with very well), I have been managing to get through the Dead Spaces. Hoping I can convince a friend to go through the game in co-op with me.

Also, Phil Collins is pretty cool, and feeling it in the air is a pretty Dead Space thing. Good fit.

As for the microtransactions... who cares? Just ignore them. They'll see that the franchise sells, but that people don't want to pay full price and then also have microtransactions. Or, they'll have a system that is as compelling as the one in Mass Effect, where it doesn't feel as dirty as it tends to in mobile games.

10 days to go 'till European release. Woo.

#28 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@believer258: Really? Why? You know how it works right? It's nothing huge. You can do it yourself in the game by taking the bots that scan the areas in the world. If you don't want to do that however, just spend some money that's in the cents and you've got that stuff, it's up to you. I'd much rather just keep the money, and spend my time in the game getting that stuff for myself.

@LooseChange: Maybe, but I still think it's first and foremost a Dead Space game (perhaps without as much horror). I don't know, but I have faith that it'll still be a great game either way.

@Mnemoidian: None of the games are that scary. The only time I was apprehensive over playing Dead Space was my first time in 08 when I played through impossible my first time, and my biggest priority was getting through it without wanting to die.

Online
#29 Posted by jap_2002 (14 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to DS3. This trailer made me think that Issac is no longer running away, but he is hunting the nercomorphs. Bring on the nightmares.

#30 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

@NTM said:

@believer258: Really? Why? You know how it works right? It's nothing huge. You can do it yourself in the game by taking the bots that scan the areas in the world. If you don't want to do that however, just spend some money that's in the cents and you've got that stuff, it's up to you. I'd much rather just keep the money, and spend my time in the game getting that stuff for myself.

@LooseChange: Maybe, but I still think it's first and foremost a Dead Space game (perhaps without as much horror). I don't know, but I have faith that it'll still be a great game either way.

@Mnemoidian: None of the games are that scary. The only time I was apprehensive over playing Dead Space was my first time in 08 when I played through impossible my first time, and my biggest priority was getting through it without wanting to die.

It's the very notion of its existence that bothers me.

Microtransactions in free-to-play game? No issue. That's how they make their money.

In a multiplayer game that you paid for? ...all right, provided they do not upset balance. Mass Effect 3 handled this well.

In a single player game? No. That's too shady for me, even if it does turn out all right. I don't give a damn about it "only costing a couple of cents". I shouldn't even be asked to pay a single dime further than I already have for a single player campaign. I'm not saying that I won't play it at some point, but I most likely won't until a fair bit after launch.

#31 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@NTM said:

@believer258: Really? Why? You know how it works right? It's nothing huge. You can do it yourself in the game by taking the bots that scan the areas in the world. If you don't want to do that however, just spend some money that's in the cents and you've got that stuff, it's up to you. I'd much rather just keep the money, and spend my time in the game getting that stuff for myself.

@LooseChange: Maybe, but I still think it's first and foremost a Dead Space game (perhaps without as much horror). I don't know, but I have faith that it'll still be a great game either way.

@Mnemoidian: None of the games are that scary. The only time I was apprehensive over playing Dead Space was my first time in 08 when I played through impossible my first time, and my biggest priority was getting through it without wanting to die.

It's the very notion of its existence that bothers me.

Microtransactions in free-to-play game? No issue. That's how they make their money.

In a multiplayer game that you paid for? ...all right, provided they do not upset balance. Mass Effect 3 handled this well.

In a single player game? No. That's too shady for me, even if it does turn out all right. I don't give a damn about it "only costing a couple of cents". I shouldn't even be asked to pay a single dime further than I already have for a single player campaign. I'm not saying that I won't play it at some point, but I most likely won't until a fair bit after launch.

But you're not being asked to pay for anything else, I understand your concern, but with this, I think that's a little nit-picky. I guess I just don't see it as much of a problem as you.

Online
#32 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

I made an interesting observation.

In this thread everone seems to have a mature and grounded discussion. People even like the music or find it interesting.

So what happes when a crew member makes fun of it in a snarky way on the site? People start to compete to be more snarky and hate on the song choice in the comments.

Conclusion - people are SO easly affected by what crew members say on this site so it tranforms a big part of the communitys opinion on stuff. it's really weird some times.

#33 Edited by themangalist (1727 posts) -

The Thing feeling is strong in Dead Space 3. Who said you can't do sci-fi horror outside dull metallic spaceship hallways? The lonesomeness is awesome. Oh, Dead Space 3 Please be awesome.

#34 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@Dogma: Well, I don't personally care what they think. While I think some of it is goofy, I still like it. I agree though, it's too bad, oh well though.

Online
#35 Posted by JEC03 (898 posts) -

I just finished today playing D2 on hard mode which is called survivor I forget how challenging it can be at times not super hard but it made me think more strategy how to conserve my ammo and stuff the game is still impressive on all terms. I just really hope DS3 doesn't feel like a step backwards love the series and want it to keep getting better not worst like other gaming series have over the years.

#36 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@themangalist: While I consider The Thing a horror, and a great film, I don't consider it scary. This game, and less so because of the snow, but more so because of the necromorphs, it feels like The Thing. When I was playing the demo, I didn't think "Man, this snow just reminds me of The Thing", it was because of the grotesque enemies that made me think of that. I also think anyone that says it looks like Lost Planet is wrong, I mean, sure it's in snow, but Lost Planet? That game's not good, this game looks much better than that.

Online
#37 Edited by Quarters (1633 posts) -

Good trailer, but I was disappointed by the amount of CG/Live Action compared to the launch trailers for the other games. However, I still think it was strong. Really looking forward to the game.

#38 Posted by Voxus (322 posts) -

Phil Collins just makes me think of American Psycho.

Also, be warned. Massive spoiler threads are floating around the internets.

#39 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

@NTM: It boils down to the notion rather than the execution that I find offensive. I'm not being forced to pay for anything else - but microtransactions in a $60 single player game is still EA saying "Hey, give me more money".

I'll give them more money when they release another game or some DLC that I want and not a minute sooner. I like some of EA's properties but they produce absolutely nothing that I couldn't live without.

#40 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Not interested. I was on board for Dead Space when the developers were putting together the first game and explaining about how they were really interested in making a tense and immersive experience of isolation, where protagonist cobbles together weapons from mining gear. What Dead Space 2 was, and what this trailer suggests Dead Space 3 will be, is not something I'm looking for.

Pass.

And goddamnit Firefox, immersive is a real word and not a typo! D:

#41 Posted by BoOzak (883 posts) -

I wasnt bothered by the music or the action vibe, I just didnt think it was very creative. And the live action was just dumb, it's a great looking game. They should have just CG'ed Isaac up if they felt as though it wasnt up to par with the rest of the trailer. Also "Plays better with Kinect" -_- (I'm not a fanboy, I really dont care what console I play games on. But if you want to shit all over a trailer this is how you do it)

#42 Posted by Jeust (10482 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

Not interested. I was on board for Dead Space when the developers were putting together the first game and explaining about how they were really interested in making a tense and immersive experience of isolation, where protagonist cobbles together weapons from mining gear. What Dead Space 2 was, and what this trailer suggests Dead Space 3 will be, is not something I'm looking for.

Pass.

And goddamnit Firefox, immersive is a real word and not a typo! D:

Pretty much! Dead Space became a watered down horror experience. I want a horror game! Not an action game with horror elements.

#43 Posted by NTM (7281 posts) -

@0blivion: Massive spoiler threads? Hm. How? Thanks for the news.

@believer258: I understand what you don't like about it, I just think it shouldn't bother you quite as much as it is, but it is what it is. I agree though; I won't be buying that stuff, it still doesn't put me off though. I mean, if they made it so the only way to get this stuff was to buy it, that'd be another story, and it may happen in the future if enough people buy this, but for now, it doesn't bother me.

Online
#44 Edited by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@HerbieBug said:

Not interested. I was on board for Dead Space when the developers were putting together the first game and explaining about how they were really interested in making a tense and immersive experience of isolation, where protagonist cobbles together weapons from mining gear. What Dead Space 2 was, and what this trailer suggests Dead Space 3 will be, is not something I'm looking for.

Pass.

And goddamnit Firefox, immersive is a real word and not a typo! D:

Pretty much! Dead Space became a watered down horror experience. I want a horror game! Not an action game with horror elements.

I'd rather have a well playing game first and foremost and a decent horror experience after. This has been the problem with horror titles for years, where the horror element was really strong but the gameplay itself was quite lackluster. While Silent Hill 2 might be a masterpiece of the horror genre, it is an absolutely God awful game to play with awful controls and nonsensical key collection puzzles. So Dead Space wants to put gameplay at the forefront, thats fine I can deal with it because I rather be having fun playing a responsive, intelligent shooter with horror elements - than scared out of my wits because I just don't know where the fixed camera angle is going to point me to next while my tankish, cumbersome character waddles over like a drunk seal to the dolphin shaped electric circuit board.

Online
#45 Posted by Jeust (10482 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Jeust said:

@HerbieBug said:

Not interested. I was on board for Dead Space when the developers were putting together the first game and explaining about how they were really interested in making a tense and immersive experience of isolation, where protagonist cobbles together weapons from mining gear. What Dead Space 2 was, and what this trailer suggests Dead Space 3 will be, is not something I'm looking for.

Pass.

And goddamnit Firefox, immersive is a real word and not a typo! D:

Pretty much! Dead Space became a watered down horror experience. I want a horror game! Not an action game with horror elements.

I'd rather have a well playing game first and foremost and a decent horror experience after. This has been the problem with horror titles for years, where the horror element was really strong but the gameplay itself was quite lackluster. While Silent Hill 2 might be a masterpiece of the horror genre, it is an absolutely God awful game to play with awful controls and nonsensical key collection puzzles. So Dead Space wants to put gameplay at the forefront, thats fine I can deal with it because I rather be having fun playing a responsive, intelligent shooter with horror elements - than scared out of my wits because I just don't know where the fixed camera angle is going to point me to next while my tankish, cumbersome character waddles over like a drunk seal to the dolphin shaped electric circuit board.

That's not necessarily mutually exclusive. There can be a good horror game with nice gameplay. The first Dead Space was proof of that. But this isn't it. This is changing the property from an horror to an action game for the sake of outselling the previous games in the franchise, including co-op, easing on the horror, ramping the action and offering a cover system.

#46 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

@Jeust said:

@HerbieBug said:

Not interested. I was on board for Dead Space when the developers were putting together the first game and explaining about how they were really interested in making a tense and immersive experience of isolation, where protagonist cobbles together weapons from mining gear. What Dead Space 2 was, and what this trailer suggests Dead Space 3 will be, is not something I'm looking for.

Pass.

And goddamnit Firefox, immersive is a real word and not a typo! D:

Pretty much! Dead Space became a watered down horror experience. I want a horror game! Not an action game with horror elements.

Not to mention that FEAR beats Dead Space handily in the last category. And kind of on the horror aspect, too.

I feel like Dead Space is having an identity crisis.

#47 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@Jeust: Ironically before Dead Space 3 was shown around as having a lot more action not many people were willing to even label Dead Space 1 as a horror game - but rather a shooter with horror elements. I enjoyed the first game quite a bit, but the pacing was off in several sections where things just weren't very scary anymore but you knew there was still more "horror section" to traverse before anything really happened.

I'm not going to say DS3 couldn't have been scarier than the original, but personally even at the end of that first game I was already drained of all dread and basically scanning all walls and ceilings for possible monster closets by the end of the game, completely reducing the fear factor. Three games later, I just don't know how they could have kept up the scares without severely limiting player movement and ability to defend oneself, which does not translate to fun gameplay.

Online
#48 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Pretty cheesy, but Halo live action has spoiled me I think.

#49 Edited by Jeust (10482 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Jeust: Ironically before Dead Space 3 was shown around as having a lot more action not many people were willing to even label Dead Space 1 as a horror game - but rather a shooter with horror elements. I enjoyed the first game quite a bit, but the pacing was off in several sections where things just weren't very scary anymore but you knew there was still more "horror section" to traverse before anything really happened.

I'm not going to say DS3 couldn't have been scarier than the original, but personally even at the end of that first game I was already drained of all dread and basically scanning all walls and ceilings for possible monster closets by the end of the game, completely reducing the fear factor. Three games later, I just don't know how they could have kept up the scares without severely limiting player movement and ability to defend oneself, which does not translate to fun gameplay.

Changing setting, changing the rules, and without sending a bazillion aliens and unitologists in the player's direction.

Like Resident Evil proved with Revelations, there isn't an incapacity to make scary experiences but rather the desire to chase bigger profits. And scary games aren't that profitable compared with Gears of War or Call of Duty.

#50 Posted by stryker1121 (1355 posts) -

@yinstarrunner said:

@Jeust said:

@HerbieBug said:

Not interested. I was on board for Dead Space when the developers were putting together the first game and explaining about how they were really interested in making a tense and immersive experience of isolation, where protagonist cobbles together weapons from mining gear. What Dead Space 2 was, and what this trailer suggests Dead Space 3 will be, is not something I'm looking for.

Pass.

And goddamnit Firefox, immersive is a real word and not a typo! D:

Pretty much! Dead Space became a watered down horror experience. I want a horror game! Not an action game with horror elements.

Not to mention that FEAR beats Dead Space handily in the last category. And kind of on the horror aspect, too.

I feel like Dead Space is having an identity crisis.

A bit reminiscent of how Resi6 was made into a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none experience where Capcom was trying to appeal to anyone who's ever played a game in life. Now, I have a bit more confidence in DS3 being a fun action-horror title, but I understand why people are pessimistic in the lead up to release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.