Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Dead Space 3 needs to sell 5 million units to be "viable".

• 112 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#51  Edited By BeachThunder

I'll buy ten if they remove every single cheap jump scare.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@BeachThunder said:

I don't think the jump scares were that bad in Dead Space, it's not like it didn't have atmosphere too.

Then again, it's true. A true horror experience without any jump scares what so ever would be much more pure I have to admit.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By BeachThunder

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@BeachThunder said:

I don't think the jump scares were that bad in Dead Space, it's not like it didn't have atmosphere too.

Then again, it's true. A true horror experience without any jump scares what so ever would be much more pure I have to admit.

It wouldn't have been so bad if there were only a few jump scares here and there; the whole necromorphs playing dead thing realllly got old.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By penguindust

I think it's possible. Just add some boobies.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Stete

With the exception of the obvious blockbuster candidates (Call of Duty, Blizzard games, Fifa and Madden) isn't 5 million an overly optimistic target to aim at?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SomeJerk

Goodbye to another developer.

It's a miracle Starbreeze survived Syndicate 2012, that ended up delayed and remade over and over due to focus groups and upper-outer management re-thinking..

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Raven10

Well according to the latest GTTV episode the game has a complete SP experience where you play as Isaac and Carver only appears in cutscenes, so for people who want a classic Dead Space experience (like me for example) we can have that but for people who want a co-op experience that will be available as well. Nothing wrong with adding a new mode to entice new players to play. Also, some clarification to the 5 million comment. Note that developers don't get $60 from every sale. The retailer gets a cut, the shipping company gets a cut, and the console maker gets a cut. For an internally developed game the publisher probably gets around $30 out of the $60 sale. So it's not $300,000,000 but $150,000,000. The game probably has a budget of around $30 million and a marketing budget somewhere between $30 million and $60 million. So on the high end EA would make about $60 million if the game sold 5 million copies. That isn't a huge amount of money as far as a billion dollar corporation is concerned. With costs expected to rise next generation, with sales of less than 5 million, moving forward with the series might be a risky bet. I would expect to break even they need to sell around 3 million copies though. 5 million would give them a decent profit. Remember breaking even isn't really the goal in a business. The goal is to make money. If you aren't making double what you spent then it isn't always a wise product to invest in.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By napalm

The tech is already there, why do they need to sell so much?

Also, what did Dead Space 2 do in its first week and month?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BeachThunder

@PenguinDust said:

I think it's possible. Just add some boobies.

No Caption Provided

I had to post this using just one hand.

sBlacksmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By sBlacksmith

So, basically they think they can buy a huge hit by shoving mountains of cash into the production and marketing?

Sounds legit.

I have seen publishers claim they are not in the business of making moderate amounts of profit in several smaller games, because time is money you know? The time they wasted in a sure moderate return game, they could have done a lottery ticket game that would offset all the losses of the 10 other lottery ticket games they wasted.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AngriGhandi

1: Make a creative game with a moderate budget.

2: Pump more money into your game to make it bigger and better.

3: Remove all creativity from your game because it is now too big to fail.

4: Wonder why nobody bought your game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jimbo

That's such a crock of shit, and epitomises a lot of the backwards thinking that goes on over at EA.  

Instead of being happy with a wide variety of unique franchises comfortably and predictably dominating in their own seperate parts of the market and returning 2-3 million sales, they are determined to turn everything into a 5 million seller.  The problem with that is that in order to even potentially appeal to 5 million people, they have to move all of those franchises in the same direction, towards the popular center ground.  What they don't seem to appreciate is that the center ground is far more competitive, and their competitors are typically better at it than they are.  The nicher parts of the market then go underserved while they duke it out for the same mainstream dollar everybody else is going for, and which EA's studios aren't really good enough to get in a lot of cases.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By hoossy

This is a shame.. DS2 sold about 2 million its first week, so I'm sure it did over that 5 million dollar benchmark. I guess they think if they presented 'more of the same thing', they would loose some of the series previous fans, and not attract any new customers... which means they may not sell as well as the second title.

I still think that's BS, and something needs to be done about development cost and publishing... but yea...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NTM

I'll buy Dead Space 3. Also, here's this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/159?ch=1

I think some of it looks disappointing, but I still want it. The human A.I. look dumb, and I don't really care for the "cover system". Of course what's shown is an "unedited" version of what was shown at E3, and it's not fully done, so hopefully some of what was shown is improved for the final product. I think the game will be good enough to me for a day one purchase. I really enjoy the setting, the characters, and the story.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AngriGhandi

@sBlacksmith said:

I have seen publishers claim they are not in the business of making moderate amounts of profit in several smaller games, because time is money you know? The time they wasted in a sure moderate return game, they could have done a lottery ticket game that would offset all the losses of the 10 other lottery ticket games they wasted.

That makes sense, when you consider that most executives aren't going to be around long enough to reap the benefits of ten years of prudent, careful decision-making.

It also makes sense when you consider that most executives are high-functioning sociopaths with mania

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jack268

Good I guess. If it sells that much they will just keep shitting out more Dead Space games so we can finish the fight every year.

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67  Edited By Chroma_Auron

Talk about guilt tripping and playing the wounded deer. If they have to pressure millions to buy their game because they spent so much then they screwed up. One should use guilt trips and playing the wounded deer to garner sympathy as it's disgusting and dishonorable. Worst is that if this fails, they will probably blame the people or original fan's of not being loyal enough, piracy, used games, or other crap to excuse themselves for their own mistake.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By Hizang

So I guess Dead Space 3 will be the last Dead Space game.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well youre not getting my money EA

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By valiantgrizzly

I'm just going to wait until we see a bit more than a short demo.

When Dead Space 2 was first shown, the internet was ablaze with "ISAAC IS SUPERMAN NOW THAT HE CAN FLY! FRANCHISE = RUINED!" comments as well. And Dead Space 2 turned out to be one of my favorite games of last year.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#71  Edited By Icemael
    @TheSlothKing said:

@Jeust: They already said the reason they didn't show the "scary" parts is because it doesn't demo well, same with RE6 from what I hear.

They showed a creepy, atmospheric part without any huge action set pieces in the first game's E3 demo. People really liked it.
    theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By theslothking

@Icemael: E3 isn't the same now as it was in what I'm guessing was 5 or so years ago.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@AngriGhandi said:

@sBlacksmith said:

That makes sense, when you consider that most executives aren't going to be around long enough to reap the benefits of ten years of prudent, careful decision-making.

It also makes sense when you consider that most executives are high-functioning sociopaths with mania

Keep in mind all that money and power puts buys all that modern medicine that more deserving younger people can't afford. In the future business will be run by malignant elderly cyborgs ;)

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By theslothking

@ValiantGrizzly: That is the internet for you. Show them just a snippet of gameplay or a bit of info ,and they'll talk out their ass with little information and blow everything out of proportion.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#75  Edited By Levio

Maybe they pulled a <> and meant to say .5 million? That would make a lot more sense.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SmilingPig

It could sell 5 million copies if it came with an exclusive demo of Bioshock infinite.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Roger778

That is ridiculous. As much as I like EA, I think that the expectations of having 5 million copies sold is way too unrealistic, and sounds like greed to me.

I still plan to buy Dead Space 2 (I haven't played it yet) and 3 though, just to show my support of the series.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78  Edited By jjnen

That is insane.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By gamefreak9

Step 1 remove competitive multiplayer... that was a waste of space in DS2 anyway. Step 2 don't bother with graphics too much, they are fine as is. Step 3 Don't focus so much on creating spectacular scenery... like that massive drill. Dead space is best when its dark and you can't see shit.

I just halved your production costs!

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By zaccheus

I think the game will be good when you just ignore the co-op. 5 million has to be a very comfortable profit for EA or they have just gone crazy putting that much money in DS3. People seems to be so fast to judge, but I guess it's just kind of a pessimist approach to games, who hasn't been burned by shitty hype games in the past. When it gets good reviews you will buy it and enjoy the shit out of it forgetting all your premature doom and gloom comments.

Basically what I feel EA and Visceral are doing is making one game that can be appreciated by two distinct audiences. You can play the co-op broshooter with your best bro or you can go alone and the experience will be very DS2-like. I think that's fucking smart, of course it can go horribly wrong and they may make a game that doesn't satisfy either audience, but I have trust in Visceral, those guys know what they are doing. With the E3 demo they clearly wanted to get the attention of the first audience, since the horror fans will come to them anyway when the reviews come out.

Saying now that "I will not buy this game, fuck you EA" is so stupid. Sure you can have your reservations, I have mine, but wait for the game to come out for fuck sakes, we barely know anything about the game. Typical hyperbolical internet bullshit. It makes me sad that I actually wasted my time writing all this. I feel like I have just been trolled, but that's pretty much the feeling every time you write something in the internet.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By DeF

@Jeust said:

I won't buy it at launch. I'm not thrilled about co-op games, and I'm not fond of threats. It will be a pity if Dead Space is dropped, but I like my horror games singleplayer, appart from Left 4 Dead, and scary.

while I agree about the sentiment, you seem to have missed that the co-op stuff is 100% optional. you don't have an AI dude! when you're playing solo, you are alone! it's not like RE5/6

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Am I the only fucking one in this world that thinks the economic segment of the game industry needs a serious overhaul because of reasons like this?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jimbo
    @SmilingPig said:

It could sell 5 million copies if it came with an exclusive demo of Bioshock infinite.

It could sell 5 million copies if it came with an exclusive demo of $60.
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84  Edited By Deranged

@jakob187 said:

With Dead Space 3, I just don't see anything that interests me. I'll be keeping my eye on it, as I really want the game to be stellar and happen to be a massive Dead Space fan (both the games and the extended universe). I...just can't find a reason to pick this game up yet.

See that's the exact same problem I'm seeing with Resident Evil 6. I'm excited for it, but it just isn't a RE game. They distanced themselves from everything RE4 stood for. You can now move and shoot, dive roll, the controls look clunky. They're trying too hard to appeal to wider audiences and completely alienating core fans in the process.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Revan_NL

It's what happens I suppose when publishers stop making games because they're passionate about games but instead start selling 'game-products' to keep their shareholders happy

TwoArmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TwoArmed

@hoossy: I know VGChartz isn't exactly the most reliable source, but it has Dead Space 2 pegged at 2.58 million, about 700,000 less than the first if the numbers can be believed.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#87  Edited By big_jon

Dead Space never sells super well, people are so fucking stupid, you hand them an amazing game like Dead Space 1 or 2, and most of them will still buy Resident Evil instead, then bitch about how bad it was.

Morons I tell you.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By deox

This really bums me out... I was such a huge fan of the original Dead Space. I enjoyed 2 as well, but even that got a little too action-oriented for me. I'll see how this one turns out but from what I'm seeing and hearing, things aren't looking good for the series.

Avatar image for yourgoodfriendcharles
    yourgoodfriendCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is what EA needs to do. Release Dead Space 3, try not to screw it up. Immediately spend 9 months pumping up the series, and put it out on new hardware as Dead Space Trilogy (include Extraction). Between it being Dead Space 3 and an incredible value next gen game you will get your 5 million and grounds for a next gen reboot/new story.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#90  Edited By korwin

@sBlacksmith said:

So, basically they think they can buy a huge hit by shoving mountains of cash into the production and marketing?

It worked for Medal of Honor.

Xbox - 2.4 Mil

PS3 - 2.53 Mil

PC - 380K (at least the PC crowd can still smell a turd)

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#91  Edited By OllyOxenFree

They want Dead Space 3 to sell 5 milli?

Good luck with that.
    jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92  Edited By jillsandwich

There's no way in hell this is selling 5 mil.

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By wsowen02

You know what is a good way to ensure a game sells really well? Piss off the established fan base. See Dragon Age 2.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#94  Edited By Brendan

Good luck!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#95  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Why are a ton of games being giving such a high bar when its been proven that numbers such as 5 million are the exception not the rule?

Avatar image for captainanderson
    captainanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By captainanderson

This. This right here is what's killing the industry.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#97  Edited By Jeust

@DeF said:

@Jeust said:

I won't buy it at launch. I'm not thrilled about co-op games, and I'm not fond of threats. It will be a pity if Dead Space is dropped, but I like my horror games singleplayer, appart from Left 4 Dead, and scary.

while I agree about the sentiment, you seem to have missed that the co-op stuff is 100% optional. you don't have an AI dude! when you're playing solo, you are alone! it's not like RE5/6

You're right. I guess I misread the part about the co-op. Taking this into account I think Dead Space 3 looks like a fine game.

@captainanderson said:

This. This right here is what's killing the industry.

You're right. That's why I'm not looking forward to the next generation.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98  Edited By Clairabel

So, in order to sell 5 million copies, they're ignoring what the fans want and just making a generic shooter? The fans who have bought into the extended franchise as well as the games? They're willing to destroy a highly received survival horror series to 'break even'?

Well. Good luck with that.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#99  Edited By Driadon

Look, I understand wanting to invest in something successful to get the most out of it, but I am still shocked that publishers don't realize that that doesn't work in this industry very often. I don't understand attempting to make one IP a behemoth, and risking more money by investing in that, instead of divvying up that same money into several projects that have a higher appeal rate with those who enjoy games in the first place.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@Clairabel said:

So, in order to sell 5 million copies, they're ignoring what the fans want and just making a generic shooter? The fans who have bought into the extended franchise as well as the games? They're willing to destroy a highly received survival horror series to 'break even'?

Well. Good luck with that.

In short, yep. It astounds me how EA seems to think alienating the fan base for the game in an effort to attract those who never cared about the franchise to begin with will be successful at all let alone enormously successful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.