Do you plan on purchasing extra resources in Dead Space 3 with real world money?

• 81 results
#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11276 posts) -

#2 Posted by Bulby33 (522 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by BaneFireLord (2880 posts) -

I'm not even spending real-world money on Dead Space 3 itself.

#4 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

After all the hate EA has been getting recently you'd think they would slow down on things like this and try to build up their public image again. If they had a year where they just released some okay games with no controversy most people would forget the things they did wrong

#5 Posted by CptBedlam (4441 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

This

#6 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

Hell no. The game better be enjoyable and not a slow chug upgrade wise even though there's microtransactions.

#7 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

This.

The game seems like an abomination of a game. I'm not even that big of a horror fan, but everything that I've seen thus far just tells me that they have no respect for that genre. Optional microtransactions to save you from monsters? Is this what the horror video game genre is destined to become?

#8 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@BaneFireLord said:

This

Lol yup

#9 Posted by Fredddi43 (288 posts) -

$60 for the game, later more for DLC skins and stuff thats already on the disc, and now in-game resources for real money? All that for a cool Horror game they ruined by turning it into a generic action shooter?

#10 Posted by Venatio (4485 posts) -

Dead Space 2 is such a great game, did they really ruin it all?

Oh and no

#11 Posted by Jeust (10344 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@BaneFireLord said:

This

Yep.... A pity it has come to this.

#12 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

@Fredddi43 said:

$60 for the game, later more for DLC skins and stuff thats already on the disc, and now in-game resources for real money? All that for a cool Horror game they ruined by turning it into a generic action shooter?

You've played the game already?! Wowzers! Must be cool that you have played through and completed the game already and now can form an informed opinion on it, and aren't just basing this off of a small gameplay demo and some trailers. Ok, that's enough snark, but it really erks me when people are giving the final product a grade when it's not even out yet. I agree that the demo and videos don't really look like the previous games, and EA doesn't have the greatest track record of pleasing fans as of late, but this game isn't even out yet, at least wait for it's launch before completely writing it off.

#13 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

#14 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@david3cm said:

You've played the game already?! Wowzers! Must be cool that you have played through and completed the game already and now can form an informed opinion on it, and aren't just basing this off of a small gameplay demo and some trailers. Ok, that's enough snark, but it really erks me when people are giving the final product a grade when it's not even out yet. I agree that the demo and videos don't really look like the previous games, and EA doesn't have the greatest track record of pleasing fans as of late, but this game isn't even out yet, at least wait for it's launch before completely writing it off.

I think you can certainly judge a game's presentation to the public. The first game's marketing was all about how they planned to deliver a chilling experience to the player (sound design, architecture design, UI design, etc.). The second game, although being a bit more bombastic in its advertising presentation, still maintained some semblance of horror. This third game seems like a nonsensical action game that puts horror-disruptive features front and center for audiences (coop, weapon construction, etc.). It has become a 'feature-spouting' third person shooter if we look at that public presentation alone.

#15 Posted by Fredddi43 (288 posts) -

@david3cm: Yes. I am from the future.

#16 Posted by aquamarin (553 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

It's still rumbling where I am from this dude dropping a bomb on it.

#17 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

Nailed it.

#18 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -

I'm a sucker for anything horror so I'll buy the game but that's it

#19 Posted by geirr (2386 posts) -

Only if it's free to play.

No?

Well alright then.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11062 posts) -

Wwwwwhhhhhoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa stop the truck here, when the hell did EA say anything about "microtransactions" in this single player game with a co-op mode? Presumably, the co-op mode that's supposed to be just the single player campaign with co-op?

Uh, I know exactly how I feel about that, and it's fucking terrible. I've defended Dead Space 3 from the naysayers a bit before but when you start putting microtransactions in a single player game, it starts to raise my eyebrow quite high.

Maybe this is something of a knee-jerk reaction, but I'll wait until this has been out a while. And note that I think Dead Space 1 and 2 are some of the best games of this generation so I don't say that lightly.

#21 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

If something in Dead Space 3 is dumb, I'll judge it as I play Dead Space 3, not as I peruse the marketing for it. And I don't care about being able to buy cheat codes; because I don't want to cheat in any game if I can avoid it. And nowadays, games are built so that you don't need those cheats in order to actually enjoy the game.

If you guys were buying marketing, I guess I'd understand being upset with the quality of the marketing. Otherwise this is just SOMETHING EXISTS AND I DON'T LIKE IT LET'S WORK OURSELVES UP.

#22 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@Brodehouse: What if they throw it in your face? This is EA here. What if, every time you die, they advertise: 'hey, that monster was big and scary, but boy can this rocket launcher ($2.99) deal with him like nobody's business!'?

I think I'm at the point where I'm done giving that company money. If I need to play one of their games for the ever-important 'experience,' I'll find a way to get my hands on a used/rented copy.

#23 Posted by C0V3RT (1189 posts) -

I'm pretty invested in the Dead Space universe, but won't be purchasing extra resources. That just feels dirty.

#24 Posted by darkvare (743 posts) -

ill buy this like i bought every dead space before, 2 months at a fraction of the price, used

#25 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2064 posts) -

No. This probably will also push me to go a step further and not even buy it as the demo really disappointed me. The terrible quick-time event, the one-type-fits-all ammo and the super cheap jump scares, it all feels like they are turning almost completely away from survival horror and turning it into another action shooter that doesn't scare the COD-only crowd.

@believer258 said:

Wwwwwhhhhhoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa stop the truck here, when the hell did EA say anything about "microtransactions" in this single player game with a co-op mode? Presumably, the co-op mode that's supposed to be just the single player campaign with co-op?

Uh, I know exactly how I feel about that, and it's fucking terrible. I've defended Dead Space 3 from the naysayers a bit before but when you start putting microtransactions in a single player game, it starts to raise my eyebrow quite high.

Maybe this is something of a knee-jerk reaction, but I'll wait until this has been out a while. And note that I think Dead Space 1 and 2 are some of the best games of this generation so I don't say that lightly.

I really enjoyed DS1, probably not as much as you, but I'm right there with you on Dead Space 2. I fucking love that game.

Edit: I really tried to stay positive with DS3 even after the co-op stuff, but man, that demo...

#26 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

No. I dunno if i'll buy the game, because i never enjoyed the Dead Space games, but i just don't like buying anything in a game.

#27 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@project343 You mean like how Sleeping Dogs advertises their DLC when you go to your closet or your garage? Did that negatively affect my enjoyment of throwing triads into the sea? Not really. If I NEEDED the car in order to finish the missions, then yeah. But there was plenty of wardrobe and cars in that game.

You judge a game BASED ON THE GAME. Not on 'what could have been in it' or 'what else is available' or whatever. If it still looks and sounds incredible, if shooting necromorphs in their fucking arms is still fun, if I can still equip the Force Gun and blow the world to hell; 60 dollars earned. If you make 10 dollars of DLC that is worth 10 dollars; I'll buy it. If you make 10 dollars of DLC that isn't, I won't. I know what I consider worth 60 bucks, if a game can deliver that then fine. If not, I'll wait until it hits the value I like. This is being a responsible adult handling your own money, enacting transactions of your own volition. The idea that a corporation can rip you off by offering a product will baffle me until I'm dead, especially with virtually infinite consumer information available.

Oh, and your "If I want to play EA's stuff I'll give my money to GameStop instead!" Well then congratulations. I hope GameStop will make the games you love playing.
#28 Posted by vikingdeath1 (902 posts) -

Wait.... like how?

like, here's 50 cents, you've got more ammo now? Heres $1, take this upgrade node?

that seems like it could.... unbalance the game, at the least.

#29 Posted by Kerned (1168 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

You judge a game BASED ON THE GAME. Not on 'what could have been in it' or 'what else is available' or whatever.

People can judge a game based on whatever they want to judge it on. You are free to do the same. Don't tell people what criteria they need to use to form their own opinions.

#30 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -

Is everyone forgetting that all the Dead Space games have let you unlock guns early by paying real money? Not exactly new. It hasn't ruined them yet.

#31 Posted by Freshbandito (614 posts) -

They keep doing things that just turn me off the game more and more, and I love the dead space franchise. Will the game come out and I'll become one of those raving lunatics that we saw on the DmC review? I'll start foaming at the mouth and telling people "These mechanics were done better in the previous games and Isaac's hair was grey!"

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (13908 posts) -

I would have to be buying Dead Space 3 for that to happen and like... there are so many better games to buy besides that....

#33 Posted by AlexW00d (6065 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

Me neither I just wanted to see how many insane people we have in the community.

#34 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Kerned

@Brodehouse said:

You judge a game BASED ON THE GAME. Not on 'what could have been in it' or 'what else is available' or whatever.

People can judge a game based on whatever they want to judge it on. You are free to do the same. Don't tell people what criteria they need to use to form their own opinions.

Seriously consider what you just said. It's mindboggling.

You have just put forward that people can make a judgement on X with no concern for the actual qualities of X. Much like disagreeing with an argument about a song by referencing the color of your shoes, or the temperature outside, rather than examining the song itself. Disliking a film because the theater you saw it in was too small. You cannot use the qualities of Y to judge the qualities of X. Take a course in logic.

People _can_ judge games on whatever they want, but if they choose to be as illogical as possible, people like me _can_ call them on it.
#36 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

No, I don't plan to, but I don't intend to get mad about it without seeing how it's actually implemented in the game. Mass Effect 3 had microtransactions and I didn't even realize it until someone pointed it out. Dead Space has a long history of unlocking weapons or weapon sets by paying for small bits of DLC and none of that really bothered me either.

I enjoy the Dead Space series and I think DS3 will be fine, but I'm also an ardent supporter of Resident Evil 5, so clearly I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about.

#37 Posted by jacksmedulla (277 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

#38 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

No, because that sort of behaviour is for mental cases.

"This so-called horror game is a little testy, better buy some game ammo with real-world currency, just so I'm super stocked up."

Didn't we used to call these cheats... and weren't they free?

#39 Posted by darkvare (743 posts) -

hey guys remember when dante's inferno did pretty much the same thing by selling you souls so you could upgrade your weapons

#40 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@GetEveryone

No, because that sort of behaviour is for mental cases.

"This so-called horror game is a little testy, better buy some game ammo with real-world currency, just so I'm super stocked up."

Didn't we used to call these cheats... and weren't they free?

Nailed it. These are cheats.
#41 Posted by Stimpack (734 posts) -

Alright, guys, based on the reports of this forum thread, it's my understanding that Dead Space 3 will be a colossal failure!

Ah, funny. Anyway, I'm pretty sure most people who say they aren't going to buy it will end up buying it and EA will go on being EA. As much as I hate it, there's a reason why they're still around.

I mean, look at Xbox Live. Do you think those advertisements are going to stop anytime soon? No, and those bastards still aren't going to let me watch Netflix without having a gold membership!

#42 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@believer258 said:

For real. I feel like Mass Effect 3 at least had a multiplayer mode robust enough to warrant the inclusion of microtransactions. Adding them to Dead Space seems insane.

#43 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

@believer258: I'm with you there. Also EA has been reasonable with micro-transactions in their games so far. Mass Effect 3 only had it multiplayer and it was easy to earn money after you got the hang of the game. Need for Speed and the Tiger Woods PGA only allow you to unlock stuff that you get from level progression.

I admit this trend will stop me from pre-ordering EA games. I would need to read review to make sure they don't make micro-transactions critical to the game.

#44 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

I'll buy it since I prefer Dead Space 2's action over Dead Space 1's horror. That said, I won't be spending money on micro transactions.

#45 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4660 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

I'm betting this. I never even heard of what the thread is about.

#46 Posted by SeanFoster (838 posts) -

No. I only need my Plasma Cutter anyway. I'd be surprised if I can't get enough points to upgrade that fully.

#47 Posted by AmatureIdiot (986 posts) -

Its like whenever they had to to make a decision with this game they just chose the dumbest fucking choice.

As a fan of Dead Space I just hope the inherent quality shines through, and I bet there will be still enough good in the game to make it worth it. But nothing I've heard about the game fills me with confidence. I could accept ME3 a little more because you're already getting a single player that's worth the price alone and the multiplayer felt like a bonus, but in Dead Space its right there in the meat of the game.

#48 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Kerned

@Brodehouse said:

Seriously consider what you just said. It's mindboggling. You have just put forward that people can make a judgement on X with no concern for the actual qualities of X. Much like disagreeing with an argument about a song by referencing the color of your shoes, or the temperature outside, rather than examining the song itself. Disliking a film because the theater you saw it in was too small. You cannot use the qualities of Y to judge the qualities of X. Take a course in logic. People _can_ judge games on whatever they want, but if they choose to be as illogical as possible, people like me _can_ call them on it.

Missed the point.

I'm judging the game based on my own personal philosophical disagreements with how the publishers handles itself. It isn't nonsensical and tangentially related. You see the same thing when people uproar over PC DRM.

There was a while where I stopped giving Capcom money for their on-disk unlockable costumes that were severely overpriced for games like Dead Rising. In that same way, while I certainly have issues with microtransactions on top of a $60 boxed game, I have much more of an issue with a $60 game that situates itself within the survival-horror territory... then subverts the value of 'survival' and 'horror' by giving players scapegoats that make the genre's conventions meaningless. I had the same problem with Diablo 3: a loot-driven RPG that gives players the option to bypass the genre's loot-acquiring convention by purchasing the best loot directly.

It is a severe capitalistic compromise of creative integrity that shits all over the conventions that established these genres in the first place.

#49 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

I need to start staying away from gaming forums. Either everyone is so jaded from being part of the hobby for so long, or there is just one large stick up everyone's ass. Also, no, I do not plan on buying any micro transactions. I see no purpose.

#50 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4282 posts) -

Gross

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.