Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

First review in. More to come later.

• 150 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

So a site called AusGamers has reviewed the game giving it a 9.0. I'm really excited for the game. It comes out tomorrow and I'll be getting it in the afternoon. I'm not sure if it'll be like last time where I sat through Dead Space 2 all the way through in one sitting (with some short breaks).

Anyways, here's the first review, and obviously, more to come later, though I don't think I'll have to post it since you'll all see the opinions of those sites that you go to tomorrow. Who else is going to get it tomorrow? Who else is even going to get the game? I know, horror in or out, I'm still going to enjoy it.

AusGamers review.

Another review, and another 90.

Check back at that link every once in a while to see if it updates.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Seppli

Still got a shrinkwrapped copy on Ni No Kuni sitting next to me, which I'll only break open once I'm done with the self-imposed purgatory of grinding a legendary in Guild Wars 2 - one silly commitment at a time. Regardless - I'm seriously considering buying Dead Space 3 day and date. Just thinking about the whole weapon alchemy gives me the shivers - and I loved both Dead Space 1 & 2 as an experience. So being a part of *it*, that special feeling that's only there when it all goes down at a game's release, has some inherent appeal to me.

Also - apparently the first print of the game comes in a sexy steelbox at no extra cost. Might just play that before I tackle Ni No Kuni. Europe's only getting it on the 7th, so if I pre-order before 17:00 tomorrow at my retailer, I'll have Dead Space 3 in the mailbox at the morning of its European release. Still pondering it though, because I usually don't like buying new games, whilst I'm not yet done with another. Shrinkwrapped doesn't count though, or does it?

Long story short, if it gets universal praise, I might not be able to help myself, and get it at release.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

Wow surprising. I can't say anything about this game has looked remotely interesting in any way. This coming from someone who has two copies of Deadspace 2 siting on my shelf.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Funkydupe

I think it'll be a fun co-op game more than a singleplayer horror survival game, but that's fine.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

Over on GameSpot, I've been going through the most recent comments, as well as posting, and there are those that stole the game, and while that's dumb (I think), they were saying it's the best Dead Space yet because they beat it today.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaggE

The phrase "hell yes" comes to mind. Admittedly, some of the changes are offputting, but I love Dead Space. It'll take more than "more pew, less boo" to keep me away. I mean, DS2 was the same way, and it was a hell of a game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@Demoskinos: Yep, same; except for two different systems (PS3 and PC).

@Funkydupe: As long as it's a great game and has enough of what Dead Space has then I'll be happy (the sci-fi, great characters and great story).

@Seppli: Ha ha, my brother's playing Ni no Kuni now, and I reminded him that Dead Space 3 is coming out tomorrow; he said I better hurry up and beat it since he's playing that. Bah! I don't think so. I'm going to be getting it tomorrow and it's going to be fun :D.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@ShaggE: Yeah, I didn't think Dead Space 2 was scary at all, no matter what difficulty you play on, but I still love it; this'll probably be the same.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Tidel

I wonder why all other reviews are embargoed until tomorrow morning.

I have reservations, but everything I've read from fans playing it early has been really positive.

@NTM: Apparently there's some easy way you can trick Origin into thinking it's tomorrow and play now, for what that's worth.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By alternate

@Tidel said:

I suspect they are all embargoed - just small sites like this one don't care. They likely got the copy by a store selling early so they didn't even sign a non-disclosure anyway.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@Tidel: Yeah, I read that as well. Well, I read that some people are already playing it on Origin, but what I was referring to was that those people actually stole it 'cause they admitted it when I asked. They said they'll buy it next week since they liked it, or at least one did. I hope so.

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LevelUpAdrian

@alternate: AusGamers is one of the bigger Australian aussie media sites. How do I know? I work in the Aussie media. A lot of us have review copies and I'm pretty sure the embargo lifted for some Australian media today. I'm pretty sure a lot more of those reviews are coming tomorrow. I also know (from more of a professional level) one of the main editors of this website, so yeah, it's legit.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tidel

@alternate: Makes sense. I'm just surprised that with all the 'controversy', EA wouldn't want to get out further in front of release with good buzz -- and the buzz is pretty good.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaggE

@NTM said:

@ShaggE: Yeah, I didn't think Dead Space 2 was scary at all, no matter what difficulty you play on, but I still love it; this'll probably be the same.

Yup. I'd even say that the first one wasn't so much "scary" as it was atmospheric.

Besides, Amnesia 2: Pig in the City is (hopefully) going to be out soon, so I'll get my scares in due time, haha.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

I wonder whether it is going to take a hit or two because of microtransactions, but I doubt it as it is -everywhere- in games now. Put up some shiny neon lit suit for a few dollars and it'll be tempting for a sci-fi nut.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@ShaggE: Very true. Personally for me though, the only time I've been pretty apprehensive was my first time playing on Impossible in the original, my very first time going through the game wasn't scary, and no time after my second was it scary.

I agree, Dead Space in general isn't necessarily 'scary', though the sounds of the environments do keep me on my feet some times; not so much in the second. The first time you fight humans in three, in the demo, there are doors that slam open and shut, and with a 5.1 home theater system at a good sound level, it can somewhat startle.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funkydupe

Cheap jump scares doesn't count!

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Klei

@Tidel said:

I have reservations, but everything I've read from fans playing it early has been really positive.

@NTM: Apparently there's some easy way you can trick Origin into thinking it's tomorrow and play now, for what that's worth.

I'm curious. How, exactly?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funkydupe

@Klei: Hmm, I've heard of that too. People did it with Battlefield 3. How exactly, I have no clue.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tidel

@Klei: @Funkydupe:

This is what I read on Neogaf. People have said it worked. I don't know and can't try it myself. But... take it as you will.

1. Change PC date

2. turn off internet

3. run game

4. turn on internet back on and log in origin

5. Play

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Phatmac

I liked the action in dead space 2 over the horror aspects in the first one so I'll be getting this game for sure. I mostly just love the combat in the franchise.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

Another review is up by 3DJuegos saying "Dead Space 3 offers a huge variety of situations and epic moments, and becomes an amazing roller-coaster ride. Is it less scary? Maybe, but the game has tons of sequences that will keep you on the edge of your seat."

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By MooseyMcMan

These early reviews seem encouraging, but early reviews often are. Note, I do not mean that they are being bribed and that the game is actually awful. I'm just saying that I am still waiting for reviews from people I have heard of before (mostly Brad here at GB) before I get all excited or anything.

This is good to see though, as I do hope the game is good.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mustachio

After the demo and all the EA'ness that's surrounded the title approaching launch, I think that at the very least I'll be waiting until it's very cheap, and this is coming from someone who bought Dead Space 2 on day one and loved it. Also as someone who is a firm believer that it is possible to create a proper horror game with multiple players it is extremely disheartening to see them advertise that feature as "IF YOU THINK IT'S TOO SCARY JUST PLOP ANOTHER BROSKI IN THE GAME WITH YOU". I want to be wrong, I really do.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Funkydupe

Don't be hating on co-op. It is my favorite mode.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

@MooseyMcMan: Yeah, that's true. I'll be getting it tomorrow afternoon regardless of reviews, but I do still hope the sites I go to, to view opinions like the game. I do wonder if the review will be up on here tomorrow though.

@Mustachio: Ha ha, I don't think that's how it was really quoted, but if it was, that would be funny.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

@Funkydupe: Who exactly are you talking to with your comments? Ha ha. Just anyone?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

Meh, I read this previously a few hours before but I didn't take it especially seriously. Early reviews are always super positive with plenty of 9/10's and 95%'ers taking the stage so, regardless of whether the game is as great as it says, I never rely on early reviews like this one to help decide when I'll choose to get a game, if I do at all. Though I will more than likely get it eventually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Stands to reason it would be the best playing and most beautiful one to date. Whether or not it's Super Duper Scary No For Realsies is not the sole decider of review scores.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Milkman

Please, EA. I already watched you murder Dragon Age. I can't go through that again. I'm begging you. Just give me this one thing. It's all I ask.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM

@Yummylee: Opinion's opinion, but I understand what you mean. I simply posted it because I'm excited for Dead Space 3, whether people take it seriously or not didn't really concern me. I agree that there are many times where reviews will be positive early on, but not always. I'm going to get the game tomorrow afternoon. Furthermore, there's three reviews up now, though that doesn't really matter.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By MildMolasses

@Demoskinos said:

Wow surprising. I can't say anything about this game has looked remotely interesting in any way.

I think if you went back and looked at the trailers and marketing for DS2, you would probably say the same thing. Whoever Visceral has doing their pr and marketing campaigns is absolutely terrible. Think of all the awful stunts that accompanied Dante's Inferno

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Every game gets a few 90s on Metacritic early on.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By jakob187

If people are saying it's great, then I'm glad to hear that. I haven't been remotely interested in the game from the minute they made polarizing statements like "co-op" and "single form of ammo."

I'll have to pick it up once the PC version hits.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RE_Player1

I love review threads...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NTM

@msavo: It's not really about the reviews though. As I've stated, I simply posted it because I'm excited for it, regardless of review. I'm hoping when people play it, they'll come back and talk about it, or say what they think about the reviews that are being posted. I didn't post it merely for the reviews.

Pixeldemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pixeldemon

Dead Space was only really scary during the first encounter with a necromorph, when you're helpless and unarmed. After you learn the game's tricks, it ceases to be scary. However it does use tension and stress extremely well. It's a great action game in a great setting. I just don't buy into the "WAH it's not scary anymore!" arguments, because it was never really scary to begin with. It's always been an action game with a "horror" theme.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38  Edited By Humanity

A lot of scary moments in game are actually quite terrible from a technical standpoint and cheap in execution. The beginning of Dead Space 1 is scary because you don't have weapons and you're running for your life. Incidentally I think most people found the Reanimator boss fight somewhat scary, also because it's an enemy you can't kill and have to keep avoiding until you can do an environmental kill - but it's the frantic helplessness that makes you scared. Amnesia is scary for most people because you can't fight back. While those things do make games seem a lot more tense it's a terrible game mechanic.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Is this the part where we blame EA for paying the reviewers because EA is evil and we all hate the game despite the fact we didn't play it?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

The second one was amazing, I don't see why 3 won't be as well.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Bobby_The_Great

The second one was amazing, I don't see why 3 won't be as well.

I came for future dismemberment and to finish the dead space story. The game was never scary for me but tense. Limping to the next station hoping you have enough cress for one more med kit to only find you have enough for a small kit or to refill ammo is the best.
    evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By evanbower

Always suspect when these sites no one has heard of somehow gets early access to the game and the ability to post reviews first?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Yummylee

@Humanity said:

A lot of scary moments in game are actually quite terrible from a technical standpoint and cheap in execution. The beginning of Dead Space 1 is scary because you don't have weapons and you're running for your life. Incidentally I think most people found the Reanimator boss fight somewhat scary, also because it's an enemy you can't kill and have to keep avoiding until you can do an environmental kill - but it's the frantic helplessness that makes you scared. Amnesia is scary for most people because you can't fight back. While those things do make games seem a lot more tense it's a terrible game mechanic.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

But that's completely intentional. Forcing onto the player a sense of helplessness is key to establishing an atmosphere of dread; to give you that feeling of anxiety for when you need to head into the next room knowing that you're ill equipped to defend yourself should something be in there. Those examples you listed are only terrible game mechanic for people who don't enjoy horror games -- or horror anything for that matter.

That's why I loved the inclusion of the regenerating necromorphs in both Dead Space games. For as action-orientated as they are, throwing a creature that you can't ultimately kill with your regular weaponry was genuinely rather distressing; it took away your bravado and deflated your confidence in your character's abilities, it took away the power fantasy and made Isaac feel all the more vulnerable, and that's what horror is primarily all about -- I say primarily because there's also the gore, edit: though that's not entirely necessary of course and can sometimes work better without it. That's part of what made Nemesis in RE3 such a highly effective and memorable horror villain, too. And Anne Wilkes :P

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

This game is out tomorrow? I had no idea.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

@ImmortalSaiyan: Yep, go buy it :P.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#46  Edited By Humanity

@Yummylee: I don't know how I feel about horror games. In general I'd say I'm not the biggest fan because I associate the horror genre with terrible camera angles, unresponsive control and inane puzzles - things that no sane person would ever argue are a boon to atmosphere (right.. you.. you are sane right Yummy?!) I do know that while putting the player in a helpless situation does add a lot of tension, it is also cheap and cannot be overused. I am personally against this practice and would rather developers come up with more intelligent solutions to creating a tense atmosphere, sort of like Dead Space 2's return to Ishimura where you don't actually fight anything for 20 minutes but you could cut the tension with a knife - rather than falling back on the well worn out crux of taking away all your options.

Edit: Of course I am open to discussion in proving how you're wrong and I'm right!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@NTM said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Yep, go buy it :P.

But I don't wanna. I never did beat Dead Space 2 despite liking what I did play of it.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By subject2change

Eh i'll wait on a drop and for some big name reviews to pop up.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Yummylee

@Humanity: The controls in the classic Resident Evil games, since I assume that's what you're referring to, are just as responsive as the controls in RE4 onward. Seriously, as far as tank controls go, they're surprisingly smooth in games like RE3 and the remake in particular. Silent Hill on the other hand... hoo boy.

And no, I don't think tank controls have to define the horror genre. However, camera angles can totally work in a horror game's favour. Especially one that doesn't even have any combat. They can set the mood excellently and can choose to only show you what they want you to see; they're a perfect way of building the atmosphere by way of shadows or just giving you a very surrealist and uncomfortable framing of the scene. If the game is specifically scripting a series of events, giving you free camera movements mean you may miss what they wanted to show you, and the only other option would be to switch the game into a cutscene or something. With camera angles, it's basically like you're controlling your character in the middle of a cutscene.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By cornbredx

I'm worried it will suck so I am waiting to hear it's at least as good as the second one. I'd probably still get it, but I'll wait til it's cheap if its kind of it's own thing (not saying that's bad, but not what I want from Dead Space so I'd wait to get it).  
    If it has the awesome stomp still, I'lll be pretty stoked about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.