Game Saves are totally jacked.

#1 Posted by blake_brown (115 posts) -

I have now had two experiences where, after quitting to the menu and saving my progress, the game has set me back considerably.

Both instances seem to have involved optional missions. One was the Conning Tower mission which I had to play over completely. Let me tell you, on Hard that mission is a real bitch.

Another happened on Tau Volantis. Really a bummer, makes the game incredibly tedious. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@blake_brown said:

I have now had two experiences where, after quitting to the menu and saving my progress, the game has set me back considerably.

Both instances seem to have involved optional missions. One was the Conning Tower mission which I had to play over completely. Let me tell you, on Hard that mission is a real bitch.

Another happened on Tau Volantis. Really a bummer, makes the game incredibly tedious. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

When you do a manual save it counts as a inventory save. You have to wait for a auto save for the progress to save. 
#3 Posted by blake_brown (115 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: That's really stupid. I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning that in reviews and such.

#4 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I've only just hit the first ship after the Eudora. Is there no save points anymore?

#5 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4283 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

I've only just hit the first ship after the Eudora. Is there no save points anymore?

It's auto-save only, probably as a work around for the new version of Hardcore Mode.

#6 Posted by Zurv (413 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

as LM said, just watch on the screen for it saying "saving progress" - that is your save point. A normal save just saves your inventory.

#7 Posted by perilator666 (431 posts) -

i'm with op. i don't want to live in a world without manual hard saves.

#8 Posted by Ryanmgraef (190 posts) -

For real. It says fuck you user. I don't care if you have work, you wait until I say so...lame

#9 Posted by zenmastah (837 posts) -

i believe if you choose the load last save option it loads up where you last hit quit&save...?

#10 Posted by blake_brown (115 posts) -

@zenmastah: This does not seem to work. I wish it did. It seems to start you back at the same point regardless.

They should at least make it clear that you have to reach a certain checkpoint to have your progress fully saved. At minimum, they need to make it more obvious than a little blip in the upper right-hand corner.

#11 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: @Zurv: Ah, fair enough.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6938 posts) -

Lack of auto-save is pretty stupid, I gotta say.

#13 Posted by Gravier251 (217 posts) -

I was getting somewhat frustrated with the combat encounters, same with dead space 2. Lots of spawn enemy in front and behind you over and over. I had made it through most of the optional mission in chapter 5 so decided to take a break. When I finally got back to it and loaded up the save it threw me back about 40 minutes to before I even reached the tram to pick between the optional or main mission for that chapter. So not only do I have to do all of that optional stuff again but I also have to do the section of even getting the tram to run again before that.

It was pretty frustrating to say the least.

#14 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

Same thing happened to me, even after save, and quit.

#15 Posted by SeanFoster (837 posts) -

I keep missing the "Auto-Save" pop up too so I never really know where I'll be when I load my game.

#16 Posted by Morningstar (2050 posts) -

This is just stupid. Glad I'm waiting for a price drop on this one.

#17 Posted by Quarters (1549 posts) -

The pop up in the upper right corner will either say "Progress Saving" or "Inventory Saving". You want Progress to pop up before you quit playing.

#18 Posted by stryker1121 (1238 posts) -

Not to be a complete idiot but what's an "inventory" save?

#19 Posted by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

@blake_brown: From what I've read is that whenever you start an optional mission, you must complete it for it to save that progress. If you quit mid way it won't save the progress.

I had an issue during the main game

When you get lowered into the belly of the necromorph, after I completed it and got raised back up out of the cage by Norton. I saved and quit came back and I was put back before I was lowered into the necromorph making me do the whole thing again.

#20 Edited by NeoCalypso (127 posts) -

@stryker1121: It's the current status of your inventory. Say you load up a save that puts you at a check point and you walk through a couple rooms and pick up 5 health packs. If you save and quit you'll be put back at that checkpoint and everything will be as if you hadn't played through those couple rooms but you'll still have the health packs you picked up. It makes certain checkpoints in the game awesome for grinding out materials.

Like the checkpoint fairly early on immediately after you clear the exploding barrels from the gears to get the shuttle out into space. It saves you right outside where a giant chest with a bunch of stuff is(The same one that Brad loots in the quicklook). You can get to the chest, loot it, and save and reload in like 30-40 seconds and you can get a bunch of upgrade chips out of it.

#21 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -

@blake_brown said:

@The_Laughing_Man: That's really stupid. I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning that in reviews and such.

It's likely that most reviewers never ran into that problem... they can't write about something they haven't experienced.

I had a similar experience though after completing an optional mission I saved and quit and when I played the next day it looked like I had been set back to before the optional mission but a closer inspection revealed that I still had completion credit, it had just reset me to where I was in the story before the optional mission which wasn't actually that far in terms of time but quite far in terms of distance traveled in game (via tram). I was quite relieved that I did not need to do the conning tower again.

#22 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Teran

@blake_brown said:

It's likely that most reviewers never ran into that problem... they can't write about something they haven't experienced.

I had a similar experience though after completing an optional mission I saved and quit and when I played the next day it looked like I had been set back to before the optional mission but a closer inspection revealed that I still had completion credit, it had just reset me to where I was in the story before the optional mission which wasn't actually that far in terms of time but quite far in terms of distance traveled in game (via tram). I was quite relieved that I did not need to do the conning tower again.

Conning tower is awesome. Who doesn't love space western music?
#23 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@NeoCalypso said:

@stryker1121: It's the current status of your inventory. Say you load up a save that puts you at a check point and you walk through a couple rooms and pick up 5 health packs. If you save and quit you'll be put back at that checkpoint and everything will be as if you hadn't played through those couple rooms but you'll still have the health packs you picked up. It makes certain checkpoints in the game awesome for grinding out materials.

Like the checkpoint fairly early on immediately after you clear the exploding barrels from the gears to get the shuttle out into space. It saves you right outside where a giant chest with a bunch of stuff is(The same one that Brad loots in the quicklook). You can get to the chest, loot it, and save and reload in like 30-40 seconds and you can get a bunch of upgrade chips out of it.

That sounds broken.

#24 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I just came here to say that after about 3 hours of playtime and almost constant annoyance with this game that I find it abysmal. That is all. And yes this is a "I just got frustrated with the game, threw down my controller, and went onto the internet to bitch" post.

#25 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Teran

@blake_brown said:

Well I wasn't disappointed because I didn't think the mission was fun or interesting, I just don't like doing the same content twice in one play through.

#26 Posted by Dauthi693 (129 posts) -

@Teran said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Teran

@blake_brown said:

Well I wasn't disappointed because I didn't think the mission was fun or interesting, I just don't like doing the same content twice in one play through.

I Think a checkpoint system can have a place in survial horror games if done well because it can built the tension where manual save could remove the survival aspect of the survival horror genre. That said dead space 3 is no longer a survival horror game just an action game with creepy atmosphere which that mean the checkpoint system no longer adds to the game and is unneeded

It is stupid it doesn't convey to you what saving actually does.

#27 Edited by NeoCalypso (127 posts) -

@laserbolts: Meh not really. Even if you don't take advantage of the system(I didn't cause I found the grinding pretty boring to do). If you explore, keep an eye out for supplies, use your scavenger bots often enough, and do the side missions. You'll be swimming in more resources that you can reasonably put to good use(again as you could see in the quicklook) and you'll almost certainly have more upgrade circuits than you can actually use in your guns.

It's honestly why I think the micro-transaction system is so dumb for this game specifically. On the normal difficulty the game is painfully easy(like finish the game with multiple dozens of healthkits in the bank easy) and I just don't see anyone willing to tackle the higher difficulties to also be willing to dole out some cash for a small advantage. Especially when you can just as easily get stuff with Ration Seals. It could quite possibly be a little broken on the higher difficulties but I really don't know.

#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Dauthi693 said:

@Teran said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Teran

@blake_brown said:

I Think a checkpoint system can have a place in survial horror games if done well because it can built the tension where manual save could remove the survival aspect of the survival horror genre. That said dead space 3 is no longer a survival horror game just an action game with creepy atmosphere which that mean the checkpoint system no longer adds to the game and is unneeded

It is stupid it doesn't convey to you what saving actually does.

It does state your inventory will be saved when you manual save. 
#29 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@Gravier251 said:

I was getting somewhat frustrated with the combat encounters, same with dead space 2. Lots of spawn enemy in front and behind you over and over. I had made it through most of the optional mission in chapter 5 so decided to take a break. When I finally got back t rtoo it and loaded up the save it threw me back about 40 minutes to before I even reached the tram to pick between the optional or main mission for that chapter. So not only do I have to do all of that optional stuff again but I also have to do the section of even getting the tram to run again before that.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

Despite having done the Conning Tower side mission, the game respawned me in the tram control room. Also, I still needed to wait ages for the tram. Also, it decided to respawn the regenerator and all the enemies in that room. Not cool. Especially as I'd wasted a lot of ammo and health packs at Conning Tower due to the questionable enemy spawns.

#30 Posted by Jackel2072 (2226 posts) -

The same thing happened to me. But when I tried to go back and do the tower mission again all doors were locked and it was not showing up on my side quest tabs... So I said fuck it and moved on.

#31 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1210 posts) -

Yea that's been happening to me and it is pretty damn dumb. Really stupid...

#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Vitor said:

@Gravier251 said:

I was getting somewhat frustrated with the combat encounters, same with dead space 2. Lots of spawn enemy in front and behind you over and over. I had made it through most of the optional mission in chapter 5 so decided to take a break. When I finally got back t rtoo it and loaded up the save it threw me back about 40 minutes to before I even reached the tram to pick between the optional or main mission for that chapter. So not only do I have to do all of that optional stuff again but I also have to do the section of even getting the tram to run again before that.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

Despite having done the Conning Tower side mission, the game respawned me in the tram control room. Also, I still needed to wait ages for the tram. Also, it decided to respawn the regenerator and all the enemies in that room. Not cool. Especially as I'd wasted a lot of ammo and health packs at Conning Tower due to the questionable enemy spawns.

If you are on 360 I can hop into your game to help ya. I wanna see stuff from Carvers point of view. This goes to anyone who is stuck somewhere on 360. Im pretty far into the game but dont mind jumping backwards 
#33 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (869 posts) -

@blake_brown said:

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I just had to say this: Total BS game design. I have tried the Conning Tower twice. First time game crashed and I lost all progress, meaning I had to do the "wait for the tram fight" again. Second time I got something like 30 minutes into the Conning Tower and had to go to work and now I am back before the "wait for the tram fight". Who thought this was a good idea?

#34 Posted by believer258 (11048 posts) -

@blake_brown said:

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I just had to say this: Total BS game design. I have tried the Conning Tower twice. First time game crashed and I lost all progress, meaning I had to do the "wait for the tram fight" again. Second time I got something like 30 minutes into the Conning Tower and had to go to work and now I am back before the "wait for the tram fight". Who thought this was a good idea?

I'd wager that it's another sign of Dead Space 3 being a little rushed by EA. Save points would have definitely been preferable, or manual hard saves (just what is wrong with these?) but checkpoints are usually fine when laid out well. Here, they clearly weren't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.