Heres the ending for those who dont care about spoilers

  • 77 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

i see where brad was coming from. and i mean unless theres a bunch of bullshit context that issac and carver of all people had to do this, it seems alright.....

(also make sure you watch the last 10 seconds of the video)

also, doing some stalking on brads twitter feed, seems what they destroy in said ending is called a necromorph moon, and it seems it was a huge contention point for why brad hated the ending

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/298906640810393600

#2 Posted by EuanDewar (4971 posts) -

pardon my ignorance but whats the biggie about those last ten seconds

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -
@EuanDewar

pardon my ignorance but whats the biggie about those last ten seconds

Watch the video. It's pretty easy to figure it out.
#4 Posted by EuanDewar (4971 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@EuanDewar

pardon my ignorance but whats the biggie about those last ten seconds

Watch the video. It's pretty easy to figure it out.

i did watch the video, as far as i can tell it just implies that Isaac is still alive. which ofc he is

#5 Posted by zerdune (160 posts) -

I don't get it, I see only a very generic video game ending.

#6 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

@EuanDewar: piece of dialogue that further shows this isnt the end of dead space.

#7 Posted by yinstarrunner (1205 posts) -

Uhh... seems like a video game ending, I guess? Complete with the attempts to hit an emotional peak and failing completely.

Was anyone actually invested in Dead Space's story anyway?

#8 Posted by HistoryInRust (6323 posts) -

@yinstarrunner said:

Uhh... seems like a video game ending, I guess? Complete with the attempts to hit an emotional peak and failing completely.

Pretty much. It's both really forced and incredibly flaccid.

The post-credits stinger is laughable. Because of course there's going to be another one.

#9 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

ending seems ok, *shrug*

im curious to know if they wrapped a mass effect 3 level of bullshit justification for it though.

#10 Posted by UberExplodey (942 posts) -

At least Buzz Aldrin didn't make it into this one.

#11 Posted by mellotronrules (1193 posts) -

i was kinda hoping that shot of her at the console from behind would be an homage to the first ending...and while it sort of is, i wish it was moreso.

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (9715 posts) -

Yep, that ending sucks.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

Hahaha. Man, that was dumb. Just fucking stop already EA. At this point I'm just waiting to see how badly they fuck up Dragon Age 3.

#14 Posted by JasonR86 (9715 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Hahaha. Man, that was dumb. Just fucking stop already EA. At this point I'm just waiting to see how badly they fuck up Dragon Age 3.

How does EA's involvement lead to this ending? How's the ending different with another publisher?

#15 Edited by Gordy (204 posts) -

It does sort of just whimper out at the end there, but I really don't think this is specifically what Brad and Jeff were talking about. I think they're talking about how the whole plot ends as a whole, and where Isaac is now called The Marker Killer. Now THAT is the awful part. Unless the three word name Jeff was referring to is something else.

#16 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

@Gordy said:

It does sort of just whimper out at the end there, but I really don't think this is specifically what Brad and Jeff were talking about. I think they're talking about how the whole plot ends as a whole, and where Isaac is now called The Marker Killer. Now THAT is the awful part. Unless the three word name Jeff was referring to is something else.

that, an apparently the thing they destroyed in the ending there was a necromorph moon

.....................

#17 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11804 posts) -

Unlike Mass Effect 3, none of this seems particularly dumb out of context, or at least any dumber than a poorly-done video game ending with obvious ending stinger, but the phrase "necromorph moon" immediately stirs possibilities of something colossally stupid.

@Demoskinos said:

Hahaha. Man, that was dumb. Just fucking stop already EA. At this point I'm just waiting to see how badly they fuck up Dragon Age 3.

While, at the end of the day we can point fingers at EA's shady corporate shadiness, I blame most of Dragon Age 2's failings on Bioware trying to make a more limited game aimed at an audience that didn't exist with a development cycle that was obviously less than two years and a team that was less competent. And even as an apologist for that game, I think it'd be hard to top the particular brand of badness brought on by DA2.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

the phrase "necromorph moon" immediately stirs possibilities of something colossally stupid.

You mean my blog on the subject, despite never having played a Dead Space game?

#19 Posted by Danteveli (1187 posts) -

Dead Space 3 does not have really good story but we can take peak into whats going to happen next. Necromorph Moon is Unicron of this universe but there are more of them. I dont know what kind of story you would want from game about space zombies monsters but they are doing ok stuff with the universe while messing up characters. Relations between them and their motives are really stupid.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: I didn't think Dragon Age 2 was all that bad. I liked most of it actually it was just rather bland in some areas like the level design.

#21 Posted by BisonHero (6570 posts) -

I've honestly never cared about most of Dead Space's fiction, despite liking the first two games. They had decent enough premises, but all I really cared about was "Shit is fucked, I need to get out of this place/fix how totally fucked everything is. Upgrading these weapons is fun". The specifics of Unitology, the origin of the Markers and the Necromorphs, all of it, really has never done anything for me.

I mean, it's very slightly above how much I care about, say, the background fiction of InFamous. I just cared so little about the characters and plot of InFamous that I couldn't be bothered to remember who anyone was or why they were doing anything.

Dead Space has nothing on the Metroid Prime series. Retro Studios sort of retconned things as necessary once they finally decided on the actual origin location/origin story of Phazon, but still, all those text logs about the fall of the Chozo and other ancient alien races were totally fucking rad.

#22 Posted by TheHT (11388 posts) -

That didn't seem that terrible. Maybe with some context I'd see what the big problem is.

#23 Posted by EXTomar (4772 posts) -

The story for Dead Space was enough to create a set of games around but it seems pretty flimsy for anything more. This seems like a case where "less is more" where they should have just kept to the idea that Unitology came out of nowhere with markers turning people into horrific monsters while those who didn't turn suffered from hallucinations. The more they tried to explain the "why" of it the worse it gets.

#24 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

Seems fine to me. Maybe I will see what the big deal is when I play it but as far as watching just the ending of any game this seems on par with the rest.

#25 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11804 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ArbitraryWater: I didn't think Dragon Age 2 was all that bad. I liked most of it actually it was just rather bland in some areas like the level design.

So we are in agreement then? Excellent. We should form a DA2 Defense Force. (but seriously, Bioware would be hard-pressed to screw up again in those specific ways considering the vocal, vocal, vocal outcry against the things that game so effortlessly screws up.)

I'm with you there. Dead Space doesn't have interesting enough lore to be especially up-in-arms about. However dumb this ending will be in context still won't even compare to how dumb the endings of Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 were.

#26 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Well this was a horrible ending.........  I dont condone in it.  

#27 Posted by Efesell (596 posts) -

I'm not really bothered by the idea of a necromorph moon, at least not inherently so from just being told about it.

Marker Killer seems preeetty bad from just about any context though.

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5711 posts) -

Wait I do care about spoilers... why the fuck did I open this thread?

@ArbitraryWater: I'm going to blow up your DA2 defense force with a magical nuke, whether you like it or not.

#29 Posted by takayamasama (441 posts) -

wait, is it explained in 3 why the girl has her eye back?

Online
#30 Posted by RE_Player1 (7561 posts) -

@takayamasama said:

wait, is it explained in 3 why the girl has her eye back?

Yup. First chapter too. It's a fake eye and Issac remarks in his diary that they didn't have enough money to make the color match.

#31 Posted by Encephalon (1268 posts) -

Seems like an ending to a video game. Slot the MacGuffin into the receptacle to defeat the Ancient Evil that is about to awaken.

#32 Posted by Jeff (3583 posts) -

@mrfluke: Not going to type it out here since it'll show up on my profile page and potentially spoil people, but it is "The" followed by the two words you pulled out of Brad's twitter feed. The lead-up and "justification" for it sounds insaaaaaaaaaane.

Staff
#33 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

I'm kind of baffled how people are shocked that Isaac is still alive. It's EA. They've already said they have no plan to make new IP's and intend to rehash the fuck out of everything. If Isaac died there wouldn't be a reason for a lot of people to keep playing Dead Space. Sad but true. People are fucking retarded.

I can't wait to see their stupid decision backfire. I already got my popcorn ready to go. They're bleeding money left and right when it comes to stock prices and they think that cutting out creativity is the answer? What a pile of fucking buffoons.

#34 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:

Unlike Mass Effect 3, none of this seems particularly dumb out of context, or at least any dumber than a poorly-done video game ending with obvious ending stinger, but the phrase "necromorph moon" immediately stirs possibilities of something colossally stupid.

@Demoskinos said:

Hahaha. Man, that was dumb. Just fucking stop already EA. At this point I'm just waiting to see how badly they fuck up Dragon Age 3.

While, at the end of the day we can point fingers at EA's shady corporate shadiness, I blame most of Dragon Age 2's failings on Bioware trying to make a more limited game aimed at an audience that didn't exist with a development cycle that was obviously less than two years and a team that was less competent. And even as an apologist for that game, I think it'd be hard to top the particular brand of badness brought on by DA2.

Yeah, honestly. I don't care to look it up, but I VIVIDLY remember a directors interview promotional thing that Bioware put up leading up to DA2 and the Director was this snotty younger guy who was raving about all the great streamlining changes they were making to the game, and everything he bullet pointed as being amazing was a bullet point of why people wound up hating the game. He was basically saying they could save tons of money by making bland, reusable environments because "who looked at all those books on the floor in the game anyways?". It was the kind of thing I'm sure he said to the EA brass and they went "genius!" and he said it to me as a gamer and I went "WHAT? I am NOT buying that crap!" 
 
And i didn't. 
 
I think they learned their lesson and I would be incredibly suprised if the guy worked there anymore.  
 
DA2 was supposed to be an exercise in efficiency  and it just backfired completely. I think EA has to know it now.
#35 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@mrfluke said:

i see where brad was coming from. and i mean unless theres a bunch of bullshit context that issac and carver of all people had to do this, it seems alright.....

(also make sure you watch the last 10 seconds of the video)

also, doing some stalking on brads twitter feed, seems what they destroy in said ending is called a necromorph moon, and it seems it was a huge contention point for why brad hated the ending

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/298906640810393600

For some reason I really wanted him to take out that picture of his girlfriend look at it lovingly for a while and then eat it. Just to have him do something really weird before he died. I doubt the last minute of most peoples lives is poetic. It's probably just some weird impulse that doesn't make any sense but you do it anyways...
#36 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

@Jeff: ah, so thats what you were alluding to on the podcast. just the very concept of that thing already sounds ridiculous and them going up their own ass with their fiction.

and the justification and lead up to it is just as ridculous? i think ill at least rent dead space 3 then, as im in the camp like u guys talked about on the podcast, in that i played those 2 games and thought the fiction was decent, so ill see it through.

thanks for the clarification! its always humbling to get a interaction like this from a staff

#37 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

@JazGalaxy: that would definitely be unexpected.

#38 Posted by hollitz (1537 posts) -

So basically just the Assassin's Creed 3 ending with Isaac instead of Desmond.

Could have been worse I suppose.

#39 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11804 posts) -

@Hunter5024: Well, to be fair, my Dragon Age 2 defense mostly consists of: Hey man, the combat was still good and most of your party members were kind of awesome, Anders notwithstanding. Anything else that game does? No justification.

@JazGalaxy: I know exactly who and what you are talking about, and yeah, for as much as people went after Mass Effect 2 and moreso 3 for being watered-down attempts at reaching a mass audience that didn't really exist (which I was kinda fine with because I didn't find the RPG mechanics in the first game to be all that good anyways), DA2 is really the true victim of that mentality.

#40 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Hahaha. Man, that was dumb. Just fucking stop already EA. At this point I'm just waiting to see how badly they fuck up Dragon Age 3.

Hey man,

Accessibility!

#41 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

With no context, that ending doesn't look great, but at the same time it's not offensively bad.

#42 Posted by cooljammer00 (1810 posts) -

First all-story Jesus of 2013 confirmed, right?

#43 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

Seems generic as shit, but it's not offensively bad, I'd say. "Necromorph moon" sounds so dumb I kinda can't find any fault with it. I'll play the game and see it in context.

@Demoskinos said:

@ArbitraryWater: I didn't think Dragon Age 2 was all that bad. I liked most of it actually it was just rather bland in some areas like the level design.

Me neither. It suffered a lot from a short development cycle and the writers sometimes going for anvilicious means, but I enjoyed it - although I'd have to be paid to play through that game again from start to finish.
#44 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@AiurFlux said:

I'm kind of baffled how people are shocked that Isaac is still alive. It's EA. They've already said they have no plan to make new IP's and intend to rehash the fuck out of everything. If Isaac died there wouldn't be a reason for a lot of people to keep playing Dead Space. Sad but true. People are fucking retarded.

I can't wait to see their stupid decision backfire. I already got my popcorn ready to go. They're bleeding money left and right when it comes to stock prices and they think that cutting out creativity is the answer? What a pile of fucking buffoons.

I don't think anybody is shocked tha Isaac is alive. I think people are just annoyed at how bad the storytelling is. Why "kill him" if he's going to by shown to be alive in the next 5 minutes. It's like modern comic books where they make a big event out of a character death and then don't even pretend that he's going to stay dead for more than a few issues. It makes the whole thing seem cheap and poorly conceived.

#45 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@cooljammer00 said:

First all-story Jesus of 2013 confirmed, right?

Well, I mean, what you're really talking about has nothing to do with Jesus, you're talking about the concept of the protagonist being special in some way. Arguably, the main character HAS to be special. That's freuqently why they are the main character.

I think the real problem, that people aren't talking about, is the fact that videogames go out of their way to make the player feel that they are special. That you are unique. That there are many, but you are set apart from the many.

Isaac is just another example of that.

#46 Edited by Brad (3054 posts) -

Guys it's not just the ending itself, it's the ultimate explanation of the necromorph/Marker fiction embodied in the ending that I found so horribly dumb.

@cooljammer00 said:

First all-story Jesus of 2013 confirmed, right?

Yep, also that.

Staff
#47 Posted by Brad (3054 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

@AiurFlux said:

I'm kind of baffled how people are shocked that Isaac is still alive. It's EA. They've already said they have no plan to make new IP's and intend to rehash the fuck out of everything. If Isaac died there wouldn't be a reason for a lot of people to keep playing Dead Space. Sad but true. People are fucking retarded.

I can't wait to see their stupid decision backfire. I already got my popcorn ready to go. They're bleeding money left and right when it comes to stock prices and they think that cutting out creativity is the answer? What a pile of fucking buffoons.

I don't think anybody is shocked tha Isaac is alive. I think people are just annoyed at how bad the storytelling is. Why "kill him" if he's going to by shown to be alive in the next 5 minutes. It's like modern comic books where they make a big event out of a character death and then don't even pretend that he's going to stay dead for more than a few issues. It makes the whole thing seem cheap and poorly conceived.

Yeah, I found that post-credit bit to be especially pandering. If you're going to have your protagonist sacrifice himself for the greater good, just fucking do it. Kill him. Don't throw in some bullshit fan service "well he MIGHT still be alive!" tease at the end.

Staff
#48 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

@Brad: (dunno if youill answer me) is it pretty much the lead up and justfication for issac and carver being the chosen ones and the necromorph moon is whats insane?

jeff came in here last night and said its the stuff i linked to, and the lead up and the justification is what he found ridiculous

#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4826 posts) -

@Brad said:

Guys it's not just the ending itself, it's the ultimate explanation of the necromorph/Marker fiction embodied in the ending that I found so horribly dumb.

@cooljammer00 said:

First all-story Jesus of 2013 confirmed, right?

Yep, also that.

What? That whoever or whatever built the original markers have been using them to trick sentient species into bringing about convergence which essentially lets these moon-sized colossi of mass and flesh feast on whatever triggered the markers?

That's kind of horrifying when you think about it.

#50 Posted by perilator666 (471 posts) -

Necromoon is dumb as fuck. But I'm not so bothered by the ending really. It was a perfectly standard video game trilogy ending. But in my mind, Isaac is dead. I'm hoping those last two words after the credits were meant more as a "final words" sort of thing and not hey by the way he's alive. I probably won't be purchasing the next title though until I've heard from enough people that it's good. But really I just hope he stays dead.

Actually the thing that bothers me the most (and this is totally just me being nit picky) is the cold resistant suits for the ice planet, when space itself is far colder than any planet could ever be. Something akin to about 200 degrees below freezing. That bothers me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.