Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Scattered Thoughts: Dead Space 3

• 61 results
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I got this game as part of a Humble Bundle a while back. Now this is shallow of me, I fully admit it, but I got frustrated at basically the beginning of the game. I installed it, loaded it up and started playing it. I got past that first cutscene with Isaac being all emo and the dudes coming in to recruit him, then I had to leave to go do something so I quit the game. I booted it up the next day and found that it started again before the cutscene, which was probably 2-3 minutes long, and I could not find a way to skip it. I said "Screw this.", quit the game and uninstalled it...

Petty, but I don't have time to friggin' sit through the cutscene again against my will, not with my backlog being as big as it is. Sorry Dead Space 3, I enjoyed the time I spent with your two predecessors, but you probably won't be getting your fair shake, even though that final boss fight sounds SO stupid in the best way possible.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By Humanity

@ntm: The first was definitely the best in terms of atmosphere and the second tightened up the gameplay. The third just failed to go the extra mile for me. I get your complaints and I share some of them but not to such a large degree. For instance, the fleet for me was a lot cooler than it apparently was for you, while at the same time Tau Volantis wasn't nearly as drab and boring for me as it seemed to be for you. So different strokes for different folks. I will argue about the end boss being ridiculous though because in my opinion the way it's presented doesn't feel like MAN VS MOON. I don't even really consider it a moon but a large biomass but those are semantics (I know in the game the characters refer to it as the moon). The ending felt like a repeat of the ridiculous ending from DS2 - except there you were fighting in the planes of Isaac's mind, which is stupid enough in of itself. Each game escalated the conflict and DS3 was a fitting conclusion. I mean if after three entire games and a mass reveal about the origin of the enemy I still defeated the necromorph takeover by simply burning something with a conveniently placed rocket engine or something I'd be fairly disappointed. It was a grande David vs. Goliath moment for me. But I will agree to disagree in favor of not dragging out a fruitless back and forth.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By AndrewB

I also definitely wouldn't call it the biggest disappointment of the year (but then, I didn't even realize it came out this year until maybe a month ago). I'm not sure it's the same scenario that most fans faced, however, since I played through the entirety of the series back to back for the first time this year. No waiting months on end for two sequels. Still, I thought it was okay enough that lately I've actually spent some of my time in Dead Space 3 threads reassuring people that they actually should play the game.

The thing is, even if I hadn't had the tempered expectations of numerous reviews and banter about the game, I feel like the direction that Dead Space 2 took, combined with EA's own pre-release marketing (or anti-marketing, for fans of the series), it wasn't too difficult to see it was going to be a different game. And make no mistake - it *is* different, but different doesn't necessarily mean bad. The crafting system changed the combat in a positive way for a game that was leaning in the direction of kicking away from survival horror and going into full action-shooter mode anyway. The feeling of open-endedness in the environment was also nifty.

Of course, there were still plenty of downsides to the direction (I did use the word "okay" and not "great" to describe it). I greatly preferred the survival horror feel of the first game, and 3 ended up feeling like a convergence of gameplay with something like the Mass Effect series more than Dead Space. One specific gripe I'll make and put in spoiler tags:

One of the greatest moments of Dead Space was the tension you felt when the game introduced the "immortal" necromorph. All you could do was slow it down and run like hell, knowing it would be popping out of a future vent to torment you. It was fantastic. It was the stuff out of your worst nightmares, and I was pretty much just muttering the words "oh fuck" over and over every time I was being chased. Dead Space 2 copied this mechanic to less success. If I remember right, they just throw one (two?) of them at you fairly late in the game in a much more brief section. By the time you make it to Dead Space 3, their grand scheme to one-up that tension is to throw...yes, 3 of the creatures at you at once. I remember being very vocal to a room of just myself about how lazy that was. It's a little hard to feel tense when you're rolling your eyes.

Then there's the absurdity of the story, which the Bombcast already covered just fine. And if you think Mass Effect 3's ending sucked, rest assured that it's only one of many EA games that follow the trend.

Necromorph moon. It was so bad that I seriously didn't remember that part of the game until the Bombcast brought it up, and I only just beat the game maybe a couple of months ago.

I guess you might have had more investment in the Mass Effect universe, since it at least had two stellar games and not just one, and a lot of thought and writing went into crafting, well, a universe.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Klei
    No Caption Provided

Dead Space 3 was a great game. I really liked it. Calling it the disappointment of the year is a fucking joke though, this award goes to Colonial Marines.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@humanity said:

@ntm: The first was definitely the best in terms of atmosphere and the second tightened up the gameplay. The third just failed to go the extra mile for me. I get your complaints and I share some of them but not to such a large degree. For instance, the fleet for me was a lot cooler than it apparently was for you, while at the same time Tau Volantis wasn't nearly as drab and boring for me as it seemed to be for you. So different strokes for different folks. I will argue about the end boss being ridiculous though because in my opinion the way it's presented doesn't feel like MAN VS MOON. I don't even really consider it a moon but a large biomass but those are semantics (I know in the game the characters refer to it as the moon). The ending felt like a repeat of the ridiculous ending from DS2 - except there you were fighting in the planes of Isaac's mind, which is stupid enough in of itself. Each game escalated the conflict and DS3 was a fitting conclusion. I mean if after three entire games and a mass reveal about the origin of the enemy I still defeated the necromorph takeover by simply burning something with a conveniently placed rocket engine or something I'd be fairly disappointed. It was a grande David vs. Goliath moment for me. But I will agree to disagree in favor of not dragging out a fruitless back and forth.

I liked Tau Volantis more than the first part actually, where you're in space, after about six hours there, which is what I spent there on my first playthrough, I was already tired of it and just wanted to get to the planet. The moons are actually the being; it's not something living inside the moon, so it can't really be interpreted one way or another, even if you'd like to look at it a certain way to make it seem better than it actually is.

I don't mind the conversation, so the back and forth isn't bothersome, but if you feel it's going to become some kind of argument, it won't, but even so, we'll stop. I loved the ending of two aside from the barrage of enemies chasing you, and the 'final boss' being incredibly easy and less great than the Hive Mind in my opinion.

The last thing I'll say is that I will agree that it was a fine ending. I wasn't necessarily disappointed in it; the only thing was how jarring, to me anyways, it was a leap from being this regular guy looking for his girlfriend, to this epic, large scale battle between him and a moon. I took it all in as one; if you separate them individually, then it's easier to take in, but that's not what I did. I just feel like in the end, they went too large.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By EXTomar

It always felt that Dead Space 3 was full of great ideas...that didn't fit or belong in Dead Space 3. :(

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By GaspoweR

@kaiserreich said:

yeah but...the final boss is a planet

WHICH IS SO FUCKING RIDICULOUS THAT IT NEEDS TO HAVE MORE THAN 5 STARS IN MY BOOK (not really, I'm exaggerating)...THAT'S SO DUMB!!! "GREAT DUMB" THOUGH.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

In the context of the story, I felt like they earned the necromorph moon. It's still kind of dumb, but it works well enough for the Dead Space series. Out of context though, it ri-goddamn-diculous.

And yeah, Dead Space 3 is different, but it's a really good game. It's just not much of a horror game (and, thus, depending on your view, not much of a Dead Space game). The intro running through a city from armored soldiers was the worst part, in my opinion.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dead Space 3 is in my top 10 list. Its not as good as either of the Dead space games but its still a heck of lot of fun. My one quip is that the DLC feels like the real ending but I really enjoyed the story I got out of it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@ntm: I just think we both have our own way of looking at it and neither is going to concede their opinion so there isn't much left to be said unless we actually do start arguing and I think we both know where that leads. At the end of the day it was a pretty O-K game. My least favorite Dead Space entry, but by no means a terrible game. Nothing about it stood out to me as terrible design - neither the added co-op which I barely noticed playing single player, or the end boss which we already discussed in depth. The moment where the game dragged on the most for me was exploring those ancient ruins, riding the gravity-fairways and having to deal with a ton of the really resilient alien necromorphs.

As much as I like Isaac, I hope they're done with him as a character, or at least relegate him to a secondary role/cameo at most. The best thing that can happen to this series is a reboot into a parallel storyline and a completely new cast. Knowing EA though, I dunno if they'll give Visceral this much freedom after they've been steadily building up Isaac to be this Master Chief of survival horror.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@ntm: I just think we both have our own way of looking at it and neither is going to concede their opinion so there isn't much left to be said unless we actually do start arguing and I think we both know where that leads. At the end of the day it was a pretty O-K game. My least favorite Dead Space entry, but by no means a terrible game. Nothing about it stood out to me as terrible design - neither the added co-op which I barely noticed playing single player, or the end boss which we already discussed in depth. The moment where the game dragged on the most for me was exploring those ancient ruins, riding the gravity-fairways and having to deal with a ton of the really resilient alien necromorphs.

As much as I like Isaac, I hope they're done with him as a character, or at least relegate him to a secondary role/cameo at most. The best thing that can happen to this series is a reboot into a parallel storyline and a completely new cast. Knowing EA though, I dunno if they'll give Visceral this much freedom after they've been steadily building up Isaac to be this Master Chief of survival horror.

That's fine. This was never going to turn into an argument anyways, it was a simple discussion; you saying your opinion, and me saying mine. The fact that I said I was disagreeing didn't mean I don't respect your opinion, nor was I attempting to make an argument as if I were trying to change your opinion. I agree about the "At the end of the day it was a pretty O-K game. My least favorite Dead Space entry, but by no means a terrible game." And some of what you say after I feel similarly about, though perhaps not quite the same aspects. I like Isaac as a character, and hope to see him again myself. I loved the dialogue in the first two Dead Space games, and the DLC's and side games, but three to me was the worst of them, so hopefully the characters will make a return, but the actors have better to work with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.