So Dead Space 3 is the Diablo game I never knew I wanted?

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

So I've been pondering the purchase of Dead Space 3, and have been watching a bunch of reviews in order to make up my mind. I loved the crafting bits of the demo, and was still liking the whole strategic dismemberment shooter gameplay a whole lot. Looks like EA has sacrificed Dead Space's trademark horror experience in favor of a dopamin-feedback-loop and New Game+.

I've kinda *been there, done that* about the whole Dead Space horror schtick anyways - I think I can and will get down with this Diablo Space 3 jambalaya Visceral has cooked up, it smells addictively delicious. I think it's right down my alley? Then again... what a shame! I'm torn. Still 24 hours 'til my self-imposed *will I buy Dead Space 3 on release day* deadline is up. Weigh in!

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

Fuck Dead Space 3.

#3 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Fuck Dead Space 3.

Personally I'd go as far back as saying fuck Dead Space 2. Saw the signs when that game came out.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

@mordukai: See personally I think Deadspace 2 fell right into the same place as RE 4 did. A fine balance between horror and straight up action game. I thought the first game was far to much of being errand boy.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I read your post three times and I'm still not seeing how DS3 is like a Diablo game. I don't feel that crafting and feedback loops define the Diablo experience.

I do however really enjoy the phrase "Diablo Space 3 jambalaya".

#6 Posted by MEATBALL (3161 posts) -

Constructive contribution @Demoskinos

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

@MEATBALL: Well, he said weigh in. And I did.

#8 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I read your post three times and I'm still not seeing how DS3 is like a Diablo game. I don't feel that crafting and feedback loops define the Diablo experience.

I do however really enjoy the phrase "Diablo Space 3 jambalaya".

It being about running to the same content over and over again in New Game+ (and coop), farming for rare crafting materials & building evermore powerful guns and armor until you max out and beat the game on the highest difficulty setting?

Apparently it's set-up like Diablo too, with chapter select and and drop-in/drop-out coop.

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -
@Demoskinos

Fuck Dead Space 3.

#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Seems more Borderspaces than Diablo

#11 Posted by ttocs (762 posts) -

I think a lot of people are just saying negative things about Dead Space 3 simply because of the information that came out about the co-op and the whole freemium stuff. It seems that as people play it though they are realizing that while those things do take away from the overall package that the game is actually really good. I haven't played it yet, I'm just going off of NeoGaf comments, user reviews, etc.

The game should be delivered when I get home from work and I'm really looking forward to playing it, regardless of the issues reported. I just really like the Dead Space franchise.

#12 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Seems more Borderspaces than Diablo

Hmmm... kinda bringing up a point there. I haven't played Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3 and a bunch of other stuff that would fit my bill - why go for Dead Space 3 first, when some of these likely are discounted already...

#13 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Now i'm craving jambalaya. :/

I wonder if there is any restaurant in the city that makes it. I would go for a gumbo of some sort if jambalaya is not an option. Hmmmmmmmmm...........

#14 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Much like all of the reviews have been saying, I think the whole crafting/character progression systems are looking to be the best thing about Dead Space 3.

#15 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@ttocs said:

It seems that as people play it though they are realizing that while those things do take away from the overall package that the game is actually really good.

The problem for me is that as my available gaming time dwindles, so does my inclination to settle for less than 100% when I'm considering a new title to add to my ever growing list of games to "play one day, maybe in the next few months". 

Dead Space 3 sounds like a pretty cool game, but there are lots of cool games around. What keeps me coming back to this particular franchise is the special place it holds in my memory. Now it just seems easier to give the game a pass: I can cherish my memories, and I get to spend my gaming time exploring other enticing prospects.
#16 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Fuck Dead Space 3.

#17 Posted by Humanity (9025 posts) -

The crafting is definitely fun. I enjoy going into it and checking out all the cool tips you can put on guns that basically differentiate between primary and alternate fire modes as seen on guns in previous games. For instance I just found a great combination - the shotgun in this game has incredible range and great damage - so I have my primary attack be the Force Gun primary which blows necromorphs to the ground, while my alt attack is a shotgun blast which easily finishes them off. It's a really cool combo and this kind of alleviates the issues I had with some of the guns in the past that just didn't have very effective alt fires. Be that as it may this is no Borderlands or Diablo - there is a very finite amount of guns you can craft - still I would agree that out of all the new things they tried to do the weapon crafting oddly feels the best thus far.

Overall I was a little cold in the beginning but now that it's transitioned into crawling around dark hallways and fixing some really esoteric looking power generators I'm enjoying myself again.

#18 Posted by JBG4 (402 posts) -

If you're not sure wait until more woolen have had time to really play it and then get opinions. Most people haven't had time to put enough significant time into it to firm a constructive opinion

#19 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@mordukai: See personally I think Deadspace 2 fell right into the same place as RE 4 did. A fine balance between horror and straight up action game. I thought the first game was far to much of being errand boy.

See I really like the slow methodical pace and the mission structure of the first game. Clark really felt felt like he was out of his element and you can tell, even though he didn't utter a single word, that he was becoming unhinged. The story and the atmosphere felt right in place.

#20 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Colourful_Hippie said:
@Demoskinos

Fuck Dead Space 3.

#21 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1632 posts) -

you should buy it! This is your better judgement speaking to you! I never got through the 2nd one, but I KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU! Actually when you mentioned Max Payne 3, if you want a fun shooter go with that one, I bet you can find it pretty cheap now for sure. I think I'm personally gonna wait for Dead Space 3 to drop in price before buying it... probably a steam sale buy to be honest.

#22 Posted by Danteveli (1173 posts) -

i dont get this there is as much horror in this one as in Dead Space 2 (No horror just jump scares and monster closets straight from Doom 3). Oh and where is the connection between DS 3 and Diablo. Weapon modification?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.