Today in "ridiculous justifications" news: Dead Space 3

• 135 results
#1 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

So we have known for a few days that there will be microtransactions in Dead Space 3, which is of a $60 game. Now it seems that the developer is justifying that by claiming "mobile gamers" expect them and want them in all their games. This is ridiculous on its face. It's one thing for EA and Visceral to be nickel-and-diming players with in-game purchases, but to put forth this sort of blatantly absurd reasoning to justify it is just insulting.

Does anyone actually believe this?

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Pretty stupid reason but I don't really care cuz I won't be buying any of those things. I'm not surprised stuff like this is in the game cuz EA.

#3 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

It's sad that those shady business practices are forced upon good devs like Visceral. 100% chances they have absolutely nothing to do with it.

#4 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

I believe in hex editors.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -

Heh, I usually try to play devil's advocate against consumerist agendas here...

But yeah, that rationalization doesn't hold up whatsoever under even the lightest scrutiny.

It's a cheat code, if you don't like paying for cheat codes you won't like it. If you don't care, you won't care. There are people who will _tolerate_ paying for cheats, but there are not people who would _prefer_ paying for cheats.

#6 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

As mentioned, I'm going to vote with my wallet.

It likely won't make a difference, but I won't be buying a copy of this dreck, let alone paying for any microtransactions.

#7 Posted by Voxus (314 posts) -

Marketing fuck sucks nowadays. Get over it.

Dead Space was great.

Dead Space 2 was fucking amazing even though they 'actioned' it up or whatever you want to call it.

Dead Space 3 is a day 1 purchase for me.

#8 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

Looks like another game that I'll be picking up used down the road.

#9 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

I just suddenly stopped caring about Dead Space 3, which is weird. I love Dead Space and loved Dead Space 2 even more. Watched the story trailer like a month ago and got hyped and pre-ordered it. Then one day I woke up and was like, "Why?" I just don't know. Best new IP for me. Why can't I care?

#10 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

You know, I really, really like Dead Space 1 and 2. Probably two of my favorite games this generation. But EA is just ruining any chance of me caring for this game. So, when they would have likely gotten a purchase from me, I'll now just GameFly it and call it a day, so they won't get a dime from me.

#11 Posted by LordOfPoms (5 posts) -

@Yadilie said:

I just suddenly stopped caring about Dead Space 3, which is weird. I love Dead Space and loved Dead Space 2 even more. Watched the story trailer like a month ago and got hyped and pre-ordered it. Then one day I woke up and was like, "Why?" I just don't know. Best new IP for me. Why can't I care?

I never pre-ordered the game, but I definitely didn't care for the direction the series went after DS1. This DLC option is exactly that, optional, but I hate that this is the new standard for EA games. It was annoying to see it in sports titles, now it's in all their games. Sad.

#12 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@LordOfPoms said:

@Yadilie said:

I never pre-ordered the game, but I definitely didn't care for the direction the series went after DS1. This DLC option is exactly that, optional, but I hate that this is the new standard for EA games. It was annoying to see it in sports titles, now it's in all their games. Sad.

Kinda miswrote. It's not that I stopped caring just now. It was just that one day I was like, "I don't care about Dead Space 3 anymore" and just canceled the Pre-Order. I don't even care about DLC because I normally never buy it so it's never an issue to me. I absolutely loved Iron Man In Space Killing Zombies 2. Maybe I just don't want a new one after 2?

#13 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

So there are 2 problems that can make this a horrible situation and turn gamers away immediately.

1.) They pressure you into buying micro-transactions. Constant pop-ups saying it will be easier if you purchased resources with real money.

2.) If they used pay-to-win micro-transactions in the multiplayer.

So far, the developer hasn't mentioned any of that. So my suggestion is to wait on Giant Bomb's review and see what they have to say. Because I'm pretty sure they will bring it up.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

I dont know why everyone is getting in such a big uproar. If you dont like what they are doing with the microtransactions then dont participate. No harm done to you.

#15 Posted by Morningstar (2125 posts) -

This game is going more and more sour on me.

#16 Edited by smcn (842 posts) -

The only reason they have to make this kind of "alternate" justification is because gamers are too stupid to accept the actual reason which is that game development is a business and businesses exist to make money.

Microtransactions are here to stay unless they stop making money. Get over it.

#17 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@Kerned said:

It's one thing for EA and Visceral to be nickel-and-diming players with in-game purchases, but to put forth this sort of blatantly absurd reasoning to justify it is just insulting.

No no, the nickel-and-diming in the first place is insulting.

#18 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I think it's probably true actually. I bet you they have some survey results suggesting that people who play games on phones now see micro-transactions as part of the format. I'm not saying that I think this makes them a good thing, but I can see how they might feel that this absolves them of responsibility in the decision.

#19 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@OfficeGamer

@Kerned said:

It's one thing for EA and Visceral to be nickel-and-diming players with in-game purchases, but to put forth this sort of blatantly absurd reasoning to justify it is just insulting.

No no, the nickel-and-diming in the first place is insulting.

But how do you feel about the SIXTY DOLLARING?

The complaint of 'nickel and diming' should be about whether or not something is WORTH a nickel or a dime, not that the option exists to pay a nickel or a dime. In the same way we judge a game whether it is WORTH sixty dollars, rather than be upset the option exists to pay sixty dollars. Agree?

That said, I don't believe cheat codes are worth a buck or two in most scenarios. But these are specific judgements about specific offers, not about the practice of selling a thing. The practice of offering a product is fine, and we all know the proper response to a product whose cost is higher than its value.
#20 Posted by Lyfeforce (350 posts) -

Man, I hope this game is fun to play. The rest of the info I'm hearing about it is getting me down.

#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

EA.

#22 Posted by Fire_Of_The_Wind (170 posts) -

What did you expect him to say? EA forced us. By the way, what are the microtransactions in the game?

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@Fire_Of_The_Wind

What did you expect him to say? EA forced us. By the way, what are the microtransactions in the game?

From what I can tell you can buy nodes? If you haven't played Dead Space it's basically like buying a level up. You put the nodes in your weapons and suit and they get statistically better.
#24 Posted by A_Norman (46 posts) -

I don't really mind micro transaction since I don't ever use em. I got hyped for DS3 about a month ago until I saw the demo and remembered why I wasn't in the first place.

#25 Posted by BBAlpert (1354 posts) -
"But we need to make sure we're expanding our audience as well. There are action game fans, and survival horror game fans, who are 19 and 20, and they've only played games on their smartphones, and micro-transactions are to them a standard part of gaming. It's a different generation. So if we're going to bring those people into our world, let's speak their language, but let's not alienate our fans at the same time."

A few things: first, if someone has only ever played games on their smartphones, then they are really more fans of action and survival horror mobile games. This means that the aim is not just to attract someone that already owns the console, but to have a game so enticing that it will sell them on the very concept of console gaming. And convincing someone to pay a few hundred dollars for a console in order to pay $60 for a game in order to pay a few bucks here and there for crafting stuff is a FUCKLOAD more of a challenge than convincing someone to buy a game for a system they're already comfortable with.

Second, if that IS their goal, to convert the smartphone survival horror game enthusiast, is that very specific demographic even all that big? Big enough to offset a potential loss of sales from other consumers who might see this as kind of slimy? Would it have been more cost effective to make a side, spinoff game for mobile devices, so the console and PC gamers won't get all up in arms about their precious game being compromised for the sake of the "casual gamer," and the hypothetical smartphone-exclusive action and survival horror game fans don't have to buy a console at the end of its life just to play the one game that they're allegedly all clamoring for, complete with in-app purchases and all that.

Third, does the fact that "micro-transactions are to them a standard part of gaming" not bother anyone else? I feel it's like saying "well kids these days have grown up never knowing a time when our government wasn't constantly on the brink of economic ruin due to petty partisan squabbling or when our country wasn't at war. To them that's the standard, it's just the way things work, so the clear option is to run on a campaign of "People in other countries or political parties can all just go fuck off." I don't think this goes quite as far as being in Allegory of the Cave territory, but there are some parallels.

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@BBAlpert Agreed. Their justification is completely logically broken.
#27 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

That's about as ridiculous a justification I'd expect from a company that would implement microtransactions in a game.

I may just not buy Dead Space 3 after all (even though I enjoyed the demo)

#28 Posted by Salarn (463 posts) -

The game isn't publicly released yet, so it's hard to know if they screwed up the balance to drive micro transaction sales. If the game is not finish able in a reasonable amount of time (varies person to person) without spending extra money on micro transactions then there is no foul here.

Paying money to skip over tedium is pretty much a core mechanic of life. No matter how strait forward or painless a process is, to many people paying $0.99 to not have to spend 15 minutes doing something they don't want to is perfectly acceptable.

Gamers are aging as a whole, and the interaction time with a game is shrinking, which is heavily influenced by mobile games. New options for a larger variety of gamers to have access to more games that fit their style is not a bad thing.

#29 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@Salarn Agreed. If the pure 60 dollar purchase is not worth 60 dollars because of the introduction of these micropayments, then they've messed up and value is not lining up with cost. But people need to judge what is there, rather than 'what it could have been like with/without X'.
#30 Posted by jebara (64 posts) -

From what I've heard it takes 5 million to make it worth while, so why didn't they use that excuse instead?

Makes more sense that this one, less insulting if anything.

Anyway, I was done with EA for a long while and I don't plan to change any time soon.

#31 Posted by Abendlaender (2733 posts) -

Most mobile gamers also expect their games to be 3,99 at most. How about that EA?

#32 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

This game soured for me the moment I saw that E3 stuff. It just gets worse and worse.

There's no excuse for micro transactions in a $60 game, the fact a lot of people think it's fine for cheat codes to be behind a paywall confuses me. Nobody else remember when those things were FREE and there for fun, not for profit?

I don't like the way this industry has gone this generation. Day one DLC, point systems designed to shake you down, charging for gamer pictures, holding back content for DLC and the rest.

I get making the game more appealing, but don't sacrifice integrity for it. This game probably won't even sell any better than the first two games.

#33 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

No thanks, I'm good.

#34 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

As mentioned, I'm going to vote with my wallet.

It likely won't make a difference, but I won't be buying a copy of this dreck, let alone paying for any microtransactions.

I'm with you.

#35 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

It's just one more reason not to care about Dead Space 3.

#36 Edited by Legion4WeRManny (1 posts) -

I seriously don't understand why people are bitching so damn much about this game! oh no, boo hoo, OPTIONAL co-op. Ok, don't like it that way, don't play it that way. Oh no, micro-transactions. If you don't want to spend real world money then DON'T. Given Dead Space's track record (being two incredible games!) I have no reservations that DS3 will be amazing!!!! Can't wait to get my Dev Team Edition!!!!!!

#37 Posted by Krullban (1021 posts) -

What exactly can you buy with the real money? If it's stuff that you can get in-game, I literally don't give a fuck. Their reasoning is stupid, but if the microtransactions are just "get this thing quicker!" I don't see why anybody would be legitimately angry with that, as it doesn't affect them at all unless they have the self control of a toddler.

#38 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I dont know why everyone is getting in such a big uproar. If you dont like what they are doing with the microtransactions then dont participate. No harm done to you.

Exactly. This isn't new, especially for EA games. These things have been in EA sports games for years. They are completely optional. They are for people who are either too impatient or do not have the time to earn that stuff through normal playing. It in no way harms your playthrough, so why get upset about it? There is clearly a market for this stuff, otherwise they would have stopped years ago, and obviously the angry people are not that target market

#39 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1405 posts) -

This may be heresy, but I kinda get where they are coming from. I've never spent a dime on micro transactions for any game, but I know some people that have. I played a bunch of ME3 multiplayer, and never felt the urge to spend real money, but some people I know would simply rather spend a dollar than play for an hour to unlock the next thing. If there are people who would rather spend money than put in the effort to do something the old fashioned way, any developer or publisher would be foolish not to allow them to do so. From the article linked, it seems like there isn't anything locked behind micro transactions and that you could get everything by simply playing if you are patient. I think the logic holds up, if there are people that will willingly spend money to unlock something quicker, why not include the option?

Of course, if it turns out to be a free to play type model where it takes 500 hours to unlock something that you could just spend $3 to unlock, then that is a different story, but as an entirely optional thing, I don't see the harm.

#40 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Krullban said:

What exactly can you buy with the real money? If it's stuff that you can get in-game, I literally don't give a fuck. Their reasoning is stupid, but if the microtransactions are just "get this thing quicker!" I don't see why anybody would be legitimately angry with that, as it doesn't affect them at all unless they have the self control of a toddler.

Stuff like that always affects game design. Sometimes it's more noticeable (Diablo 3), sometimes less. But it's definitely an influence. Also, ingame microtransactions totally break the immersion for me.

@MildMolasses said:

@Demoskinos said:

Exactly. This isn't new, especially for EA games. These things have been in EA sports games for years. They are completely optional. They are for people who are either too impatient or do not have the time to earn that stuff through normal playing. It in no way harms your playthrough, so why get upset about it? There is clearly a market for this stuff, otherwise they would have stopped years ago, and obviously the angry people are not that target market

The RMAH in Diablo 3 is also completely optional and yet it ruined the game for players who didn't even want to use it.

#41 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

I was pissy about DS3 until I played the demo co op with my pal. It was too fun, preordered at amazon, they got a $20 gift card with it

#42 Posted by Krullban (1021 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@Krullban said:

Stuff like that always affects game design. Sometimes it's more noticeable (Diablo 3), sometimes less. But it's definitely an influence. Also, ingame microtransactions totally break the immersion for me.

Usually it would only noticeably break the game design if the game is built around a multiplayer aspect. Which Diablo 3 is. If it's just something like. "Hey, you can buy some points so you can get this item in the singleplayer game earlier than normal." I don't think it really affects anybody.

#43 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@Krullban said:

@MildMolasses said:

@Demoskinos said:

The RMAH in Diablo 3 is also completely optional and yet it ruined the game for players who didn't even want to use it.

Understandable on the Diablo 3 point, but that game was absolutely designed from the ground up with RMAH designed to liberate money from their customers' wallets. If I'm reading this article right, the micro transactions in Dead Space 3 are no different than buying a boost pack in let's say NHL 13. All you're doing is paying for an advantage in a single player game because you don't feel like scrounging for resources. All of this is to say that micro transactions have been in EA games for years now and it has never noticeably affected the gameplay experience. As strange as it sounds, I trust EA with this kind of balancing act over Blizzard.

#44 Posted by Humanity (8711 posts) -
@Yadilie

I'm in a similar situation except ill still buy it. Loved the first two games but as time goes on I just seem to care less and less about actually playing the third one. Not sure why as I usually reach this fever pitch when a game I like is close to release. I should be getting antsy about DS3 but I'm just strangely indifferent.
#45 Posted by Octaslash (476 posts) -
#46 Posted by WasabiCurry (419 posts) -

Unless they have a purchasable item in the shop where I can replace all of the enemies with giant EA logos, I am not buying the game.

#47 Posted by jsnyder82 (725 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Krullban said:

@MildMolasses said:

@Demoskinos said:

Understandable on the Diablo 3 point, but that game was absolutely designed from the ground up with RMAH designed to liberate money from their customers' wallets. If I'm reading this article right, the micro transactions in Dead Space 3 are no different than buying a boost pack in let's say NHL 13. All you're doing is paying for an advantage in a single player game because you don't feel like scrounging for resources. All of this is to say that micro transactions have been in EA games for years now and it has never noticeably affected the gameplay experience. As strange as it sounds, I trust EA with this kind of balancing act over Blizzard.

Yeah, well I was just reading an article talking about how when you're actually in-game, these micro-transactions are really intrusive. Also, the game makes it really difficult in parts to actually find the items in-game, and constantly reminds you that you have the option to just give up and purchase them in the store. I didn't find too much to complain about until I read that article. It seems genuinely sleazy now.

#48 Edited by believer258 (11559 posts) -

I just think the notion that I would spend $60 on a single player game and then spend a further .99 or so every time I want an upgrade is disgusting, and having the option just sitting there in a menu to constantly remind me of my disgust would really turn me away from it.

I've heard the excuse that "well, some people don't have that kind of time to track down everything..." Bollocks. Bullshit. Nuts. That is a piss-poor excuse. If you can't set aside a few hours here and there for a game then you probably don't really want to play it in the first place or you've got greater responsibilities than that. In either case, you've probably got something else to do with your time. As for "wanting to 100% the game", again, decide whether or not actually spending the time playing it like the rest of it is worth 100%'ing it. If not? Then you don't get to 100% the game. Or, at least, you shouldn't get to.

People put time into finishing books, they put time into watching TV shows and movies, why can't you put time into finishing a game?

On a final note, will I play Dead Space 3 at some point? Yeah, probably... but I will not pay for a day one copy, and if I hear a number of stories about how you have to pay to get equipment good enough to finish the game on higher difficulties, then no I will not touch it at all.

#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Yadilie

I'm in a similar situation except ill still buy it. Loved the first two games but as time goes on I just seem to care less and less about actually playing the third one. Not sure why as I usually reach this fever pitch when a game I like is close to release. I should be getting antsy about DS3 but I'm just strangely indifferent.

This might sound harsh but that's just you growing up. I used to get incredibly excited for stuff, but nowadays I just smile and nod and patiently wait for whatever it is to arrive or be released or whatever. As you get older, your extroverted expression tends to soften and you have far more normal reactions to stuff.

Essentially you're becoming Jeff ahahahahaha

#50 Posted by JoshyLee (173 posts) -

Do you think this will be reported on the site? Or do we have to slap tits on it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.