What cool weapons have you made?

#1 Edited by strangecargo (70 posts) -

My current go-to is a heavy elite frame, tesla core upper with a precision tip, and an unmodified plasma core in the lower. The primary fire hits like a truck (a well-aimed shot can one-shot many necromorphs on Impossible) and the secondary is great for crowd control. My only issue is the slow rate of fire and wind-up time on the upper, as well as the small clip size. I find it really useful for those sequences where you're absolutely mobbed by necromorphs, but it's very often game over as soon as I need to reload. Another minor issue is that after you fire the upper, any additional fire attempts before the weapon has been "cocked" again don't register, so I sometimes think I'm charging up the weapon for a second shot, but Isaac is actually just sitting there looking stupid.

[Edit: I think I got the upper components wrong, so I corrected that]

#2 Posted by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

I'm rolling with the Planet Cracker plasma cutter, with a revolver on lower and Stasis ammo. Not super powerful, but definitely a ton of fun. I love finishing off a half-dead Necro with a single Revolver shot.

My secondary is more prone to experimentation, but right now it's a heavy frame sticky bola with a rapid fire javelin thrower and electric ammo. I don't like the bola, but I'll probably keep the javelin for crowds and for funsies.

#3 Posted by perilator666 (443 posts) -

I made a plasma cutter. Yup.

#4 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

Double Plasma Cutter on elite frame. Full damage mods. Electric mod up top.

#5 Posted by strangecargo (70 posts) -

I've been having a hard time using a plasma cutter on Impossible difficulty. It doesn't seem to do enough damage to quickly dispatch the super-buffed necromorphs and it doesn't do much in terms of crowd control. The only thing that seems to work well for me is a heavy elite frame with high-damage upper section (tesla beam, assault rifle, flamethrower, etc) with a force gun on the bottom for crowd control. The harder-hitting weapons all seem to stagger enemies quite a bit (the tesla beam in particular has a great knockback effect). I just did some major rig health/armor upgrades though, and I'm hoping to give the plasma cutter another chance once I get the resources together to build a stasis mod.

#6 Posted by Sarumarine (2224 posts) -

I made a Gatling Spike Thrower with a Ripper secondary weapon. Then I made the Contact Beam with a Force Gun underneath it. Barring playing around with a few combinations, these are the only two weapons I really need to beat the game. They're really awesome. Normally I've really hated the Force Gun in previous Dead Space games, but it combos perfectly with the Contact Beam. I push enemies back and then blast them with a charge shot. The spike thrower thing (or whatever it's called, I can't remember) is a nice automatic weapon for human dudes, and the Ripper is great for all around chopping fun, especially those weaker enemies that like to swarm you.

I debated keeping a pure Plasma Cutter in my inventory (cause that's Dead Space tradition) but letting it go has let me play around a lot more. I did put a flamethrower on it for a little while until I found the Contact Beam plans. I've really been digging the weapon creation stuff, even if it kinda ruins the trademark look of a lot of weapons. For whatever reason, I REALLY miss Issac yanking back on the Ripper to reload it. I think it's because it was a nice little arm pump after killing a bunch of enemies. The lawnmower esque cord pull in DS3 isn't as good.

#7 Posted by perilator666 (443 posts) -

I did a pure plasma cutter hard playthrough, and don't get me wrong, it was hard. I just love the idea of mining/surgical tools as weapons, and the cutter just seems so iconic. If I ever have a brain aneurysm and go back and play it again I'll probably have to experiment a lot more with the weapon system to get anywhere.

#8 Posted by strangecargo (70 posts) -

Yeah, that surgical table sequence in Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite moments in the series. Losing the plasma cutter and going full heavy weapons was kind of a sad moment, but now I'm dying a lot less.

#9 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Force gun with a hammer hydraulic on the bottom.

It's the perfect panic weapon.

#10 Edited by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

Pulse Rifle with Flame Thrower attachment. I know it isn't that special but I just rock out like Ripley screaming "Get Away From Her You Bitch!!" every time I give it to a large horde of Necromorphs. Great fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.