evanfavreau's Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360) review

Dead Space 3

There are still some great Dead Space moments to be had in this game, especially in the early going. The zero-gravity space sections especially have a great atmosphere about them. But these few heights are severely diminished by unnecessary gameplay changes. (I hope whoever thought fighting humans with a sorta-cover system was a good idea has been sacked.) The game also feels overlong, and I eventually grew quite tired of fighting the same enemies over and over. It also doesn't help that it's padded out by an uninteresting (and only vaguely comprehensible) story and some terribly-written dialogue. I'll be thrilled to see what this Visceral team does next, but I think this should be it for Dead Space.

Other reviews for Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360)

Dead Space 3 Review: Turn It Off 0

Dead Space is among the bright lights of game series originating in this current generation for me, with its first entry providing a chilling and highly polished horror game while its sequel increased the action and maintained the personalised story. That said I was concerned about Dead Space 3 during its development. Increased focus on action, microtransactions, co-op campaigns and the supposed need to sell 5 million copies for “success” all indicated a damaging attitude from EA, and I was wor...

Series fatigue slows Isaac down more than the snow 0

Amidst micro transaction controversy and a strong emphasis on co-op in the games marketing campaign, Dead Space 3 got quite a rough start before it even hit store shelves. While it certainly won’t win back any of the fans that jumped ship after the second title introduced more action into the mix, will the new changes alienate the remaining audience? In short the answer is no. Dead Space 3 may have it’s share of issues but the core gameplay is definitely still there. While action may have been p...