Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space Extraction

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 28, 2009

A prequel to Dead Space, Extraction tells the story of the original Necromorph outbreak on the USG Ishimura. The game trades the original's third-person action for a hectic on-rails shooter from a first-person perspective.

DS: Extraction Reviews Thread

• 56 results
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well. I'm very surprised to say the least. Better reviews than House of the Dead (not that I thought that one's AMAZING, but I wasn't very interested in this)? I hope that's not EA's money talking. Other than this slight worry, I'm intrigued now, and I wasn't before. Starting with IGN's video review as videos make people look. It's funny to see some places call it packed with content and others bland and... We'll see which is closer to the truth as more impressions start popping up around the web I guess.

GamePro

Extraction is one hell of ride. It isn't pants-wettingly scary but it's a well-told story full of believable characters and situations. It does a great job of delving deeper into the Dead Space universe and offers up some genuinely engaging moments of run-and-gun action.

Read Full Review >

Game Chronicles

Whether you are playing alone or have a line of friends waiting to grab that second remote and share the ride, Dead Space Extraction is the definitive survival horror, FPS, light gun game of the year and the best Wii game I have ever played.

Read Full Review >

GameSpy

Even if you aren't interested in the story, Extraction is still one of the best-looking and most fun action games on the Wii.

Read Full Review >

3DJuegos

Dead Space Extraction demonstrates that good conversions in Wii are possible. It isn't a survival horror, it isn't so scary as its predecessor, but it's one of the best shooters on the rails we have ever played.

Read Full Review >

IGN UK

Taking the established genre formula and adding the core elements of the Dead Space experience has made for a shooter that's refreshingly relentless, delivering a hugely enjoyable action romp.

Read Full Review >

IGN

Extraction isn’t like its 360 brother, but it is a true Dead Space experience, and the game is not only packed with content, but also very polished.

Read Full Review >

SpazioGames

Dead Space Etraction has literally taken parts from the best Survival Horror games and reconstituted them in a great rail shooter with a great deal of claustrophobic atmosphere and enemies. The unique requirement of dismembering enemies will turn some off to this game, but for those who can stomach the gore and stand the scares, there just isn't a better horror game for this console. Turn off the lights and good luck.

Read Full Review >

Meristation

Visceral Games have done it again. They promised to make a violent game, with lots of blood, action and a frantic rhythm and that's what they've just done after all. Extraction's the best shooter on rails for the Nintendo console without any second thoughts - if you like the genre, don't hesitate, just go for it. You won't regret it.

Read Full Review >

Official Nintendo Magazine UK

Sure, its very nature dictates it's a dumbed down take on a sophisticated shooter but it's a classy, atmospheric and very exciting action title nonetheless, pipping Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and House Of The Dead to the Wii's best blaster crown.

Read Full Review >

1UP

As an expansion of the Dead Space universe, it provides necessary sustenance for Dead Space fans, and a fun introduction for newcomers. The game avoids treating the Wii as a gimmick, incorporating a minimum amount of waggle -- except for when you need to brush off an enemy or activate your Glow Worm (for some reason, in this future nobody has a flashlight, but there are plenty of glow sticks).

Read Full Review >

Worth Playing

Once you get past the slower pace of the game, Dead Space: Extraction provides a slick extension of the Dead Space universe. It's not quite a traditional light gun shooter, but it's also not a first-person shooter. It's a hybrid that is well suited for this form of interactive storytelling, and it nicely balances action and exposition.

Read Full Review >

GameDaily

It's short on scares, but the well-written story, graphic dismemberment and drop-in co-op make it the Wii's best shooter.

Read Full Review >

Games Radar (in-house)

The action may always be on a pre-set path, but like any good rollercoaster, Dead Space Extraction gets your heart racing and adrenaline pounding even though you have no control. A far more interesting and emotional take on the light gun scene.

Read Full Review >

Eurogamer

Luckily for a game with such unapologetic cinematic pretensions, Dead Space: Extraction does a fine job of weaving an engaging sci-fi narrative into a slick action game. Far from being a stripped-down side-show to the main event, Extraction provides yet another reminder of how brainlessly entertaining the on-rails shooter can be when it's done properly.

Read Full Review >

Nintendo Power

Kudos to EA for bringing this Mature-rated franchise to the Wii and for putting some real effort behind it. Don't let the "guided experience" label scare you. [Nov 2009, p.84]

Everyeye.it

Extraction is a new on-rail experience, different from any other shooter available on Wii.

Read Full Review >

GameTrailers

Dead Space Extraction is certainly worth experiencing, though with its slim feature set, it's a hard sell at the 50 dollar price-tag unless you're a fully-devoted Unitologist. For most, a rental will suffice. Either way, prepare yourself for great ride.

Read Full Review >

Teletext GameCentral

It may lack the scares of its big brother, but this proves an impressively progressive lightgun game.

Read Full Review >

Game Informer

Dead Space fans should check it out for the fiction. All other interested parties should look elsewhere for a suspensful shooter. [Oct 2009, p.95]

NGamer UK

A game that doesn't know what it wants to be and ends up much less exciting than it should have been. Atmospheric but empty.

Read Full Review >

Giant Bomb

Extraction presents a quandary. It's a pretty short game, at only five or six hours, and after what looks like a great setup for a big exciting finale, the game just sort of... ends, abruptly and poorly.

Read Full Review >

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

IGN's review seemed very positive. I am looking forward to this game actually; it seems to be more fleshed out than I previously imagined.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

The embed of the video review doesn't work yet, in the usual IGN fashion, but it should work later without further edits. Just saying.

I'm surprised at the Eurogamer review the most.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Edge reviewed this with an 8 too. They can be harsh to Wii games. They gave the same to Metroid Prime Trilogy :S

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Good scores, I heard it was reviewing well but I had not seen these until now. NVC was singing the games praises recently, they said some very positive things. 

I will get this for Christmas. 

edit:  

It sounds awesome.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r
    1UP gave a B+.

I'm not in a hurry to get this, waiting to see if I'll get Darkside Chronicles first, but it's good to see these reviews.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

Another one... the game seems cool. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

7.9 purely because the game doesn't last too long? What kind of a complaint is that for an arcade shooter? I've played through OVERKILL and UC numerous times with different people, that's like downscoring a fighter for an arcade mode thats quickly over. 
    The score didn't really match with the actual review, which made this sound like an absolutely awesome game - Although I was surprised that the multiplayer, which is one of the biggest selling points for this kind of game, didn't get so much as a 1 second mention.
    I'm in my first playthrough of the original Dead Space at the moment, and this one is more than welcome.

Doesn't look like it'll be playable with the Overkill Hand Cannon, though. Bummer.

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maitre
    @Meowayne said:
    " 7.9 purely because the game doesn't last too long? What kind of a complaint is that for an arcade shooter? I've played through OVERKILL and UC numerous times with different people, that's like downscoring a fighter for an arcade mode thats quickly over.  The score didn't really match with the actual review, which made this sound like an absolutely awesome game - Although I was surprised that the multiplayer, which is one of the biggest selling points for this kind of game, didn't get so much as a 1 second mention. I'm in my first playthrough of the original Dead Space at the moment, and this one is more than welcome.  Doesn't look like it'll be playable with the Overkill Hand Cannon, though. Bummer. "
    That's rather odd that they are complaining about its length, it took me 7h30 to beat on the standard difficulty. The time needed to complete the game on normal might be somewhat more near 6h 6h30 since i experienced some power cuts and have had to restart 2 chapters. However would you go and pay it on the harder difficulty levels I'm pretty sure that it will take you at least 8 hours to beat.

I think there might actually be support for the hand cannon since in one of the loading screen both the words Wii Zapper and Calibration are mentioned in the same sentence.

Great game i must say, I enjoyed every second of it and was biting my tongue not knowing what would happened next the whole time. The game is really a "guided first person experience" and not "just" a rail shooter. Props to Viceral Studios for making this great addition to the Dead Space universe.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Good to see all the positive comments :-)

I wonder if Agent will give it another shot now.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I think there might actually be support for the hand cannon since in one of the loading screen both the words Wii Zapper and Calibration are mentioned in the same sentence.

What are the controls, exactly? With the hand cannon, every wiimote button except the B-Trigger is out of reach for you.
    LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LincoIn

Solid review scores all around, I still don't have a Wii yet but will probably pick this up when I do get one. Now give me Dead Space 2!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Dood, I'll be honest:  if the reviews are all above 7 for an ON-RAILS SHOOTER...then I'm more than happy with it.  Seriously, what more can you ask for from a canned experience?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187 said:
    " Dood, I'll be honest:  if the reviews are all above 7 for an ON-RAILS SHOOTER...then I'm more than happy with it.  Seriously, what more can you ask for from a canned experience? "
    Shh!  Don't let EA catch you calling the game that!  It's a "guided first-person experience."  Why?  Because EA's marketing department says so!

Seriously though, this game looks like a lot of fun.  If I wasn't so swamped with games to play right now, I'd probably get it ASAP.  Maybe when it gets closer to Halloween.
    LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By LiquidSwords

Looks great. Not sure if money is the factor on reviews.

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maitre
    @Meowayne said:

"

What are the controls, exactly? With the hand cannon, every wiimote button except the B-Trigger is out of reach for you. "
    In the default control setting only the B button is used on the wii remote for shooting and the plus button is used to pull up the pause menu, in some parts of the game you'll have to shake the wii remote to charge up the glow worm so you wont be able to shoot when doing this by design. On the nunchuck Z is used to reload, C is used to fire Stasis which is extremely important in this game, the analogue stick is used to switch between one of the 4 weapons you are carrying (every direction representing one of them) and shaking the nunchuck will make your character do a melee attack.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm going to get this when it's a bit cheaper. I really want it, but with the PSP Go already ordered I need to hold off, for now. Still I love light gun shooters (Wii has rocked for these!) and I love Dead Space on PS3. So I'm all over this.

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Maitre
    @Meowayne: Just booted up the game to check and it indeed has calibration.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowayne
    @jakob187 said:

" Dood, I'll be honest:  if the reviews are all above 7 for an ON-RAILS SHOOTER...then I'm more than happy with it.  Seriously, what more can you ask for from a canned experience? "

Have you played an on-rails shooter lately? They are magnificent. And from my experience with the X360-game so far, Extraction seems to be more true to its genre than Dead Space.

Back to topic:

Dead Space Extraction is not only the biggest surprise of the year, for me, it is my personal favorite game on the entire system to date. (Gamechronicle)

Jesus.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowayne
    @Maitre said:
    " @Meowayne: Just booted up the game to check and it indeed has calibration. "
    Ace, thank you. This and the control scheme make it perfect for the handgun! Oh, this will be absolutely sweet. Can you turn the crosshair off?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

The on-rails shooter is experiencing a real renaissance on the Wii.  House of the Dead:  Overkill is a blast to play through, Umbrella Chronicles is lightyears above Capcom's old Gun Survivor titles (and looks to be surpassed by Darkside Chronicles), and now Extraction is reaching the same level.  Who knew that this genre would get a breath of fresh air on the Wii of all consoles?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

Don't forget SEGA's arcade ports, good value (especially hotd) =)

I'm not THAT fond of Overkill, not because I think it's bad, I just don't buy many games, and have others in priority, and couldn't find the bundle here, but I really want the handcannon to use with all these other games so I may shell out for it this week (if I find the bundle), alongside getting a portable HDD to use with the Wii so that I can free up the PSP (used as a flash drive currently) and use it to play stuff like the new MGS demo...

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maitre
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Maitre said:
    " @Meowayne: Just booted up the game to check and it indeed has calibration. "
    Ace, thank you. This and the control scheme make it perfect for the handgun! Oh, this will be absolutely sweet. Can you turn the crosshair off? "

Not that i've noticed but i think that that is by design since the crosshair shows your amo count and which firemode you are in. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Don't forget SEGA's arcade ports, good value (especially hotd) =)I'm not THAT fond of Overkill, not because I think it's bad, I just don't buy many games, and have others in priority, and couldn't find the bundle here, but I really want the handcannon to use with all these other games so I may shell out for it this week (if I find the bundle), alongside getting a portable HDD to use with the Wii so that I can free up the PSP (used as a flash drive currently) and use it to play stuff like the new MGS demo... "
    Was the handcannon ever released in the U.S.?  As far as I knew, the Overkill handcannon bundle was officially released only in Europe.  I never saw it for sale out here.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

No clue, I'm a euroslut too.

I probably won't be getting it though, I can't find the bundle from a search on the prominent websites, while one of them that sold the stand alone gun had it for 25 euros. NOWAY I'll pay that... It was only a quick search just now but yeah, it's not looking likely...

Amazon US has a bundle. Edit: O wait, that's JUST THE GUN? WHAT THE FUCK @ THE PRICE. I guess you won't get it either. Maybe import? It's just a piece of plastic, no compatibility issues or anything I imagine. The stand alone gun that is, not the game.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond

I'm never comfortable with the limitations of a rail gun shooter as a full retail product, but if this game can deliver a true 8 hours of intense action without much filler (long sequences of little action), I'm at least a little interested.  The fundamental reason I ever buy any short action game is reply though.  If you told me I will only ever get 8 hours out of a game I would call that unacceptable (at full price).  I need reasons to replay, whether it be through multiplayer options, lots of secrets, or simply a drive to improve my own skills at the game.  Not saying this game lacks those, but I'm still skeptical.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well given how cinematic it's touted to be I guess it doesn't qualify for you, I imagine there's a lot of downtime to tell the story.

It does however have higher difficulty modes to try and alternate paths through the levels from what I read.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meowayne

Wow, that's quite a price for the ugly version of that gun. I got my OVERKILL with two hand cannons for €80.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, they've done a shitty job with Wii marketing here, it's not popular, stores don't stock much of anything for it... I never saw the bundle. It's ridiculous because I'm confident all it would take is ONE informed retailer to try and push the Wii on his own area alone and make a killing for himself, then slowly others would try to take a piece of the pie, and we'd finally become normal. Oh well, shitty Nortec (now Nintendo Greece).

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187
    @Meowayne said:
    " @jakob187 said:

Have you played an on-rails shooter lately? They are magnificent. And from my experience with the X360-game so far, Extraction seems to be more true to its genre than Dead Space.

Back to topic:

Dead Space Extraction is not only the biggest surprise of the year, for me, it is my personal favorite game on the entire system to date. (Gamechronicle)  Jesus. "
    Did I speak poorly of on-rails shooters?  I don't remember speaking bad about them.  As a matter of fact, Time Crisis II in arcades is STILL one of my favorite games...as well as CarnEvil! 

People give on-rails shooters a bad rep, and why?  Because it's a guided experience?  However, I've read many of preview and review that seem to look at on-rails shooter games as being a negative thing, and that's just unfair.  Therefore, I'm saying that as long as an on-rails shooter is above the average, then it means that there's gotta be good reason to be playing that game.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Claude

Strategic Dismemberment was laughed at, but now it's part of the video gaming legacy. I might have to find a way to buy this Guided First Person Experience with Strategic Dismemberment.

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maitre
    @Diamond said:

" I'm never comfortable with the limitations of a rail gun shooter as a full retail product, but if this game can deliver a true 8 hours of intense action without much filler (long sequences of little action), I'm at least a little interested.  The fundamental reason I ever buy any short action game is reply though.  If you told me I will only ever get 8 hours out of a game I would call that unacceptable (at full price).  I need reasons to replay, whether it be through multiplayer options, lots of secrets, or simply a drive to improve my own skills at the game.  Not saying this game lacks those, but I'm still skeptical. "

Lets see:
    When you first beat the game you unlock the two hardest difficulty levels
    There are audio logs hidden in the levels
    Text logs that are hidden
    There are a couple of occasion where you can choose different pathways 
    Weapon upgrades that are spread through the level
    there is an overall levelling system that is based upon how well you perform in every chapter
    There is an arcade mode in which you are in a room and a never ending stream of enemies attack you and the longer you survive the more points you get.
    I think that there are about 10 different weapons that all can be upgraded and that force you to use different tactics. 
    Of course there is 2 player multiplayer.

I might be missing something here. 

Mind you this game can not be compared to a gun blazing arcade rail shooter it is very much about story and ambience and the combat is strategic and requires clever weapon management and preserving your ammo which even in the standard normal difficulty i ran out of in several occasions.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r

I liked that boss fight video where you basically had to use your stasis thing just as he was about to charge you, and then the character automatically went behind him so you could shoot at his weak spot etc, where if you failed he'd charge you and pummel you to the ground instead. Are other bosses like that, where even though you're on rails you still have to use some strategy and pattern recognition? It reminded me of Panzer Dragoon bosses (even though your character isn't on-screen and controllable in this game) and looked awesome.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowayne
    @Diamond said:

" I'm never comfortable with the limitations of a rail gun shooter as a full retail product

That's something I don't quite get. In both Dead Space and Dead Space: Extraction, your job is to move from A to B, killing stuff and listening to / watching the story. In Dead Space, you control the path through each of the rooms on the way, while in Extraction that is done for you - in a narratively and cinematographically pleasing way - while you get to sit in front of your TV with a gun in your hand (and hopefully, a Co-Op player at your side) shooting directly at the screen.
    Its not like one is better than the other, or more interactive than the other, or more engaging than the other. Its not like your interaction in the TPS is more meaningful or more cleverly used than the point-and-shoot mechanics in an arcade shooter. Its just different approaches to the same semi-interactive action story. If this is anything like the other Arcade shooters on the Wii (or any other arcade shooter for that matter), you will go through this at least twice.
    Because of the more "guided" experience, this is much more easy to replay (even in randomly chosen parts) than a traditional TPS. On top of that, it has great multiplayer.

I've lost count at how many times I played OVERKILL's "carny" stage, and I played through The Umbrella Chronicles three times with two different people. 

Not being able to do the walking in a game yourself never bothers you when playing these games. Its not even an issue.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Meowayne

@Alex: Have you played Umbrella Chronicles? The bosses there are like that - The path your character takes depends on the way you interact with the boss.

@Jakob: Sorry, I misunderstood your post then. :)

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Maitre
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " I liked that boss fight video where you basically had to use your stasis thing just as he was about to charge you, and then the character automatically went behind him so you could shoot at his weak spot etc, where if you failed he'd charge you and pummel you to the ground instead. Are other bosses like that, where even though you're on rails you still have to use some strategy and pattern recognition? It reminded me of Panzer Dragoon bosses (even though your character isn't on-screen and controllable in this game) and looked awesome. "

Slight SPOILER: regarding the number of boss fights.

There are only 3 bossed in the game, that one was the second one the two others are HUGE. That boss fight was actually one of the easiest in the game in my experience the first one was a royal pain in the ass. The last one took me a while but that was mostly because I did not understand where to shoot. Mind you i played the game on normal so these bosses surely are a heck of a lot harder one the 3 superior difficulty levels. The bosses are mainly pattern recognition and hit the weak spot, they feel oddly Japanese. Using the correct gun for every boss also helps out a lot for example a specific section of the pattern of the last boss is really easy when you use the flame-thrower while another is easier with the machine gun. Somewhat less easy when your bullets run out and you are left with the default rivet gun...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

Aw. Well are there non-boss enemies that require similar behaviour at least?

Nah, I don't have any rail shooter for Wii yet Meo. I'm waiting to get "the one" first, with a good lightgun shell, and then get the back catalogue.

I think it will be this game, or Darkside Chronicles, then I'll go back to the likes of HotD 2 & 3, Overkill, etc.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Diamond
    @Meowayne said:
    That's something I don't quite get. In both Dead Space and Dead Space: Extraction, your job is to move from A to B, killing stuff and listening to / watching the story. In Dead Space, you control the path through each of the rooms on the way, while in Extraction that is done for you - in a narratively and cinematographically pleasing way - while you get to sit in front of your TV with a gun in your hand (and hopefully, a Co-Op player at your side) shooting directly at the screen.
    Its not like one is better than the other, or more interactive than the other, or more engaging than the other. Its not like your interaction in the TPS is more meaningful or more cleverly used than the point-and-shoot mechanics in an arcade shooter. Its just different approaches to the same semi-interactive action story. If this is anything like the other Arcade shooters on the Wii (or any other arcade shooter for that matter), you will go through this at least twice. Because of the more "guided" experience, this is much more easy to replay (even in randomly chosen parts) than a traditional TPS. On top of that, it has great multiplayer.  I've lost count at how many times I played OVERKILL's "carny" stage, and I played through The Umbrella Chronicles three times with two different people.   Not being able to do the walking in a game yourself never bothers you when playing these games. Its not even an issue. "
    It's a matter of depth of the experience.  In a rail gun shooter, even with multiple paths, you're bound to encounter the exact same experiences in the game every time you play through at some points.  It affects a lot of aspects of the gameplay.  Exploration is toned down (other than mulitiple / secret potential paths), movement tactics are usually non-existent (which affects the depth of the gameplay).  Of course a lot of the old school on rails shooters like Virtua Cop were very short experiences as well (which contributes to my general disinterest in the genre).

I would argue that the interaction in a TPS or FPS is MUCH more meaningful than being on a rail.  It has more depth, avoiding a projectile instead of just shooting it, more complexity in finding secrets, more engaging in controlling the order and speed in which you encounter ANY obstacle in the game.  Controlling player movement is more than half the game in any shooting game.  Exploration, tactics, and depth all matter.

I have played some Umbrella Chronicles on Wii with a friend and solo, and I think that's probably the best case for the argument you're making.  I still would have a hard time paying full price for that game.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

Playing RE5 now, I can't say it feels much free-er than a rail shooter does (just got past the giant... crab... thing...). I'm very disapointed in this game, 4 was so much better. I'm more excited to see how Darkside Chronicles shapes up actually, I think I said that in another thread too.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    Playing RE5 now, I can't say it feels much free-er than a rail shooter does (just got past the giant... crab... thing...). I'm very disapointed in this game, 4 was so much better. I'm more excited to see how Darkside Chronicles shapes up actually, I think I said that in another thread too.
    If there is anything I dislike about RE5 it is that it specifically comes closer to being an on rails shooter than RE4 was.  I think they did it with RE5 all to facilitate coop play though.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, it shows very much that they tried to gear it to multiplayer. Score screens and chapter ends almost every 10 minutes, clear area separations with the doors that take two to open, and you can't go back out from, etc. Really annoying. If they wanted to make L4D they should do that, not put it into my RE... 4 had some of the issues but nowhere near the extent they're seen in 5...

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Maitre
    @Al3xand3r said:

" Aw. Well are there non-boss enemies that require similar behaviour at least?Nah, I don't have any rail shooter for Wii yet Meo. I'm waiting to get "the one" first, with a good lightgun shell, and then get the back catalogue.I think it will be this game, or Darkside Chronicles, then I'll go back to the likes of HotD 2 & 3, Overkill, etc. "

Not quite, however the way you kill the regular enemies in the game is by shooting their libs off. You can kill them by pumping their torso full with lead but that will drain your ammo to a point that you might not survive the next encounter.

@Meowayne:

I just remembered something regarding the standard controls that might make it impossible to play with the handgun, the A button is used for kinesis (the game's grab mechanic). I assume though that when playing with the Wii Zapper option that button must have been changed somehow, I'll go and check.

edit: Odly enough it stays the A button even with the option turned on. 

edit bis: Looks like i was wrong about the A button. 

Ha looks like the game has an instant reload mechanic, sure would have been use full if i had noticed that the first time around.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Al3xand3r

That sucks about the A button, how did they play with the zapper in that controls video? They could have had it so that you hold the stasis button down and B works like A, release it and it works like B again, and to actually use stasis you'd have to tap, not hold. Or the same with Z.

Maitre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Maitre

@Al3xand3r: I just played a bit with the wii zapper control type and looks like i was wrong. Z becomes the kinesis button and shaking the nunchuck will reload the gun shaking the nunchuck while pointing of screen does a mellee attack. The A button is not used. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sounds good then, tad messy, but workable :-P

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Meowayne
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Al3xand3r

Updated the 1st post. Funny which is the lowest score, and how it shuns a whole genre with several sub genres at the same time...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al3xand3r

Even GameSpot gave an 8.

GameSpot

This story-focused on-rails shooter is a worthy follow-up to Dead Space that delivers the same sorts of thrills, chills, and kills, but in a whole new way.

Read Full Review >
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#49  Edited By AgentJ

It's obvious they were all paid to give it a good review :P 
    Honestly though, I am shocked by the scores that are coming out. The game just seemed so weak in my playtime with it. Sure it was in a loud, crowded convention center, but I still expected the shooting mechanics to work well (I didn't think they did). I doubt it will ever be part of my collection, but if the opportunity arises I will give it another shot.  
    BTW how can you say that RE5 felt like a rails shooter?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Al3xand3r

Did they have lightgun shells @ the showfloor? Did they at least let you calibrate it yourself? I imagine it plays best with one, and after careful calibration (according to Meo in Overkill you even have to experiment yourself a little because the guide is actually a little off if you follow it exactly). I don't have any lightgun shell yet and thus no lightgun games but I want to start buying the back catalogue of these games soon. I just can't justify 25 euros for that damn Overkill lightgun shell. It's just a plastic shell! I wish they had the bundle here...

I didn't say it feels like a rail shooter, I said "I can't say it feels much free-er than a rail shooter does" because there's almost no revisiting of areas and they tend to be very closed off and linear with many event triggers and what not, and you're also over and done with them pretty fast moving to the next closed off bit already, with score screens and chapter endings seemingly every 15 minutes max, unlike past RE games where the locations felt more natural and you had to go through them a few different times on your way to other places. The areas in 5 for the most part were even more restricted than RE4, save for a few more open scenarios like the boat parts, or when you triggered an event that sent a horde at you in a little urban-ish area, though even in those you could just sit and wait for them to come to you, since they stall in windows etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.