Dead Space Ignition Is Free With A Dead Space 2 Preorder

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Yeah, that's safe. 
Starting tomorrow, Dead Space 2 pre-DLC Dead Space Ignition will be available for download on PSN. That release will be followed by the Xbox Live Arcade version on this Wednesday. But if you've pre-ordered Dead Space 2, then you know a free version is coming your way. October 13, the same day the Xbox 360 version hits, is the day you'll be able to redeem that voucher.  

Ignition is a narrative-heavy prequel that offers three different hacking mini-games within an interactive comic book housing. I've read a few jokes on the Internet about Ignition being Dead Space for babies, and while I doubt that's the exactly the case, you probably should be prepared for Ignition to offer a far simpler experience than the original Dead Space did. 

Here's the official game description straight from publisher EA:

Dead Space Ignition combines an interactive comic-style story with three unique hacking games; Hardware Crack, Trace Route and System Override. Each game offers a fun arcade experience that will challenge players with puzzles and twitch gameplay. Dead Space Ignition features a unique “Choose Your Own Adventure” type narrative, allowing players to survive the initial Necromorph outbreak on the Sprawl in multiple ways, with four different endings. The story was written by Antony Johnston, the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of comics, graphic novels, video games and books including Wasteland, and Daredevil.

Here's an example of a hacking mini-game. Or the beginning of Look Who's Talking 2025. 

== TEASER ==Like Dead Rising 2 pre-DLC Dead Rising: Case Zero before it, Ignition will be a five-dollar download and will offer a bit of context for the events of the sequel it's attached to. Speaking about Ignition, executive producer Steve Papoutsis stated, "Ignition will show fans what happens in the hours leading up to the beginning of Dead Space 2 with gameplay that is fast-paced and accessible. It’s a fun way to dig deeper into the fiction, while allowing core fans to give Isaac Clarke an edge in Dead Space 2.” 

I'm guessing the edge he's talking about is the exclusive Dead Space 2 Hacker suit that comes with the pre-purchase voucher. I suppose he could also being talking about knowledge, which always provides a solid edge… though, not exactly one sharp enough to take off a Necromorph's limbs.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Yeah, that's safe. 
Starting tomorrow, Dead Space 2 pre-DLC Dead Space Ignition will be available for download on PSN. That release will be followed by the Xbox Live Arcade version on this Wednesday. But if you've pre-ordered Dead Space 2, then you know a free version is coming your way. October 13, the same day the Xbox 360 version hits, is the day you'll be able to redeem that voucher.  

Ignition is a narrative-heavy prequel that offers three different hacking mini-games within an interactive comic book housing. I've read a few jokes on the Internet about Ignition being Dead Space for babies, and while I doubt that's the exactly the case, you probably should be prepared for Ignition to offer a far simpler experience than the original Dead Space did. 

Here's the official game description straight from publisher EA:

Dead Space Ignition combines an interactive comic-style story with three unique hacking games; Hardware Crack, Trace Route and System Override. Each game offers a fun arcade experience that will challenge players with puzzles and twitch gameplay. Dead Space Ignition features a unique “Choose Your Own Adventure” type narrative, allowing players to survive the initial Necromorph outbreak on the Sprawl in multiple ways, with four different endings. The story was written by Antony Johnston, the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of comics, graphic novels, video games and books including Wasteland, and Daredevil.

Here's an example of a hacking mini-game. Or the beginning of Look Who's Talking 2025. 

== TEASER ==Like Dead Rising 2 pre-DLC Dead Rising: Case Zero before it, Ignition will be a five-dollar download and will offer a bit of context for the events of the sequel it's attached to. Speaking about Ignition, executive producer Steve Papoutsis stated, "Ignition will show fans what happens in the hours leading up to the beginning of Dead Space 2 with gameplay that is fast-paced and accessible. It’s a fun way to dig deeper into the fiction, while allowing core fans to give Isaac Clarke an edge in Dead Space 2.” 

I'm guessing the edge he's talking about is the exclusive Dead Space 2 Hacker suit that comes with the pre-purchase voucher. I suppose he could also being talking about knowledge, which always provides a solid edge… though, not exactly one sharp enough to take off a Necromorph's limbs.    
#2 Posted by JerseyDriver (57 posts) -

Hacker suit! 

#3 Posted by SSully (4192 posts) -

Sounds pretty lame to be honest. 

#4 Posted by Icemael (6321 posts) -

I had no idea about this. 

Is this deal available in Europe? And if so, at what retailers? And when is it too late to pre-order?

#5 Posted by CABBAGES (530 posts) -

what about us in the UK ? oh and europe ?

#6 Posted by Crono11 (1650 posts) -
@CABBAGES: @Icemael:   Thanks to another press release on the same topic from EA UK, it appears that deal is coming to the UK as well, with GAME and Gamestation on board to offer Dead Space: Ignition as a pre-order incentive.  

I got that from Xbox360achievements.org
#7 Posted by Allison (264 posts) -

Kind of wish the PC would get this too, but as a PC gamer I know the dangers of pre-ordering things not on Steam. :x

#8 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Quite possibly the best Look Who's Talking reference ever made.

#9 Posted by Undeadpool (4944 posts) -

For $5, this might be worth a look. I'm real glad that Capcom set such a precedent for Pre-LC with Dead Rising 2: Case 0.

#10 Posted by Jayzz (592 posts) -

well, its a game for those who pre-order. not worth a stand-alone purchase.

#11 Posted by bybeach (4832 posts) -
@SSully said:
"Sounds pretty lame to be honest.  " 

And  back story wise, confusing. I can't tell if the woman wants just to be friends, or luv a long time, or love a real long time as in married. Some kind of twisting I have needs in this comic... 

Mostly though, I want to see how Dead space 2 is doing. I really liked Dead space. And I do know there has been this graphic novel component to it, so this isn't too weird.
#12 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

My friend would love this.  
I have weird friends. :/

#13 Posted by OriginalGman (294 posts) -

Meh, I'm more looking forward to Dead Space Extraction on PS3. If the new Time Crisis is any good, looks like I'm picking up a Move bundle.

#14 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Someone needs to make a Staff picture all in this horrible art style.

#15 Posted by ShenEvil44 (9 posts) -

Uh, HELLO??? Can somebody tell me what retailers are doing this??
#16 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

So how does this work if I'm getting it from amazon?

#17 Edited by Brackynews (4083 posts) -
@ShenEvil44:  Any retailer that does pre-orders should be hooking you up once they get a supply of cards. And if they don't, WTF are you doing pre-ordering with them? :) 
But you're right, this is a late announcement as bonuses go.  There are a lot of explanatory comments from Rich Briggs on the PSBlog.

@RobotHamster: Amazon should e-mail you the code once they have them.
#18 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

Was gonna preorder this anyway, so cool.

#19 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

This is a very interesting way to sell games. Total opposite of the razor and blades model. 

Buy some pre-DLC because it's cheap, then buy the game because you found out you like it.

#20 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I'll admit... I did chuckle at the second caption.

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11953 posts) -

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

#22 Posted by Milkman (16804 posts) -

Sounds like some Pub Games business up in here.

#23 Posted by NTM (7383 posts) -

I'll be getting this. Just because I like the Dead Space universe a lot.
#24 Posted by Chango (517 posts) -

Not too sure about this, but i'm going to get it nonetheless, considering how much I loved Dead Space.

#25 Posted by StillAThreat (40 posts) -

I think I'll wait for them to break me off a little bit of the remix.

#26 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

So basically if I preorder the CE PS3 version, I'll get Dead Space 2, Extraction and Ignition?

I'm not particularly hyped about DS2, but damn, taht sounds appealing.

#27 Edited by demonbear (1859 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:

" So basically if I preorder the CE PS3 version, I'll get Dead Space 2, Extraction and Ignition?  I'm not particularly hyped about DS2, but damn, taht sounds appealing. "

I don't think the CE PS3 version still exists man, its not anywhere on preorder lists, I think it got quietly canned and they'll sell Extraction as an individual download.
#28 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -
@demonbear said:
" @Three0neFive said:

" So basically if I preorder the CE PS3 version, I'll get Dead Space 2, Extraction and Ignition?  I'm not particularly hyped about DS2, but damn, taht sounds appealing. "

I don't think the CE PS3 version still exists man, its not anywhere on preorder lists, I think it got quietly canned and they'll sell Extraction as an individual download. "
Well, that's... Disappointing. :/
#29 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Sounds good.

#30 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

Kinda like the pub games pre-order deal for Fable II I guess.

#31 Edited by uskomaton (89 posts) -

If the MP has achievements I won't get this game.
MP achievements are from the devil.

And definitely will not get this lame ass DLC in any case.

#32 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Glad that they are putting this out as free DLC with a preorder bonus. Lately it seems that with many games the preorder bonus has been things that are unlocked later in the game that you get to start with (which sucks & this stupid tactic gives people no reason to preorder the game).

#33 Posted by JMartNWA (194 posts) -
@demonbear:  All Dead Space 2 PS3 copies come with Extraction... it's the base version, it is listed at GameStop as a limited edition but it's the only $59.99 retail product for PS3, which is what was said at E3.  No extra cost, just a bonus for PS3 purchasers. 
#34 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

Not even sure what to think about this game....

#35 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -
@JMartNWA said:
" @demonbear:  All Dead Space 2 PS3 copies come with Extraction... it's the base version, it is listed at GameStop as a limited edition but it's the only $59.99 retail product for PS3, which is what was said at E3.  No extra cost, just a bonus for PS3 purchasers.  "
That info should be on the freakin' box, shouldn't it?
#36 Posted by BlackPhoenix23 (5 posts) -

Thats pretty cool

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.