Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Franchise »

The Dead Space franchise tells the story of the outbreak of the Necromorph infection on the space mining vessel, U.S.G Ishimura.

Is it Worth Playing Severed and Awakened?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I'm currently playing through Dead Space 2 and plan on playing Dead Space 3 right after, but are the two story DLC releases for the games worth playing? Do they add to the story in anyway or would I just be playing them for the trophies?

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I've played both, Severed is pretty good and follows the characters from the Wii game Extinction. I really liked Severed and like to pretend that's where the story of Dead Space left off. Severed is worth it for the story I think.

Awakened for 3 is good since it has more of a scarier atmosphere like Dead Space than the main game itself.

They're both worth playing but I would possibly recommend picking up Awakened on sale, it's normally $10 and it's pretty short. Severed is only $7 I wanna say and it's a tad bit longer if I remember right.

I really did not like Dead Space 3 very much at all though so ya might just wanna stop at 2.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Severed basically just gives you an extra hour of Dead Space 2, and while it follows one of the better characters from Extinction, they cut away a lot of his personality in the process. Still, it's got a great ending set-piece to it at least, but it's an easy skip all the same.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Opus

I enjoyed Severed, but it's an insignificant side story when compared to the rest of Dead Space. It's good for an action fix if you enjoy the gunplay in the series; spanning two hours of just decimating necromorphs, but you can skip it without feeling like you've missed something important.

I've yet to play the awakening DLC, I haven't been able to set aside the time, but I'm inclined to, judging by the quick look they released. The reason? Moon Crew.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By nightriff

@maskedarcstrike: That's what I hear but I already purchased 3 and still kinda want to play it to see the end of the trilogy regardless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.