Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Best Mind-Fuck Ever??

• 55 results
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I love it when games fuck with your head, that subtle transcendence from videogame to reality as you suddenly doubt just what exactly can be believed and what is a artificial manipulation of a mental state in an attempt to cause confusion and befuddlement. It demonstrates a level of empathy that really is beyond any other, actually managing to trick the player. Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid 2 both got one over me, tricked me into thinking there was a problem when there was none. There are other games like Bioshock which manipulate you, even Mario Galaxy to an extent, to the point where you question just how much freedom you have whilst playing the game itself.

No Caption Provided
    I'm currently playing through Dead Space and it has become clear at the point where I am (chapter 9) that there is some bad ju-ju going on here. People complaining about hullucinations, zombies running wild, and amidst the chaos my girlfriend is currently strutting round the ship unprotected. The game has given me good reason to doubt that which lies before my very eyes, in a Fight Club sort of way. I don't know whats real and whats not, so I choose to assume that nothing is real and I am actually Iron Man. It makes the game a lot easier.

When discussing this with Easy_Boss I feel I have concocted the best mind fuck ever.

What if, somehow, a game could temporarily make your Xbox 360 Red Ring.

You heard me.

This would make me shit building materials with fear. Someone, somewhere, needs to make this happen.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Action
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I love it when games fuck with your head, that subtle transcendence from videogame to reality as you suddenly doubt just what exactly can be believed and what is a artificial manipulation of a mental state in an attempt to cause confusion and befuddlement. It demonstrates a level of empathy that really is beyond any other, actually managing to trick the player. Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid 2 both got one over me, tricked me into thinking there was a problem when there was none. There are other games like Bioshock which manipulate you, even Mario Galaxy to an extent, to the point where you question just how much freedom you have whilst playing the game itself.

No Caption Provided
    I'm currently playing through Dead Space and it has become clear at the point where I am (chapter 9) that there is some bad ju-ju going on here. People complaining about hullucinations, zombies running wild, and amidst the chaos my girlfriend is currently strutting round the ship unprotected. The game has given me good reason to doubt that which lies before my very eyes, in a Fight Club sort of way. I don't know whats real and whats not, so I choose to assume that nothing is real and I am actually Iron Man. It makes the game a lot easier.

When discussing this with Easy_Boss I feel I have concocted the best mind fuck ever.

You heard me.

This would make me shit building materials with fear. Someone, somewhere, needs to make this happen.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Action
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Oh man. That would be like what Eternal Darkness's blue screens did but instead of laughing you'd be like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Demonstride

First of all awesome thread title. Second of all, if a game did that to my 360 and i didn't know about it before hand and I turned the 360 off and say i hadn't saved for the pas3 hours like say this was persona 5. I'd also probably crap building materials. Building materials of pure rage.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

That would fuck me up but royally.

Dead Space, finally took the plunge. That game was a keeper... well, until I traded it in after I finished it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

So basically you just need to play Eternal Darkness again until it tells you that it's erasing all of the data from Memory Card Slot 1?  And that your controller is unplugged?  lol

Also, Dead Space owns my fucking soul!
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Lies

That would make me D=

The surprise would probably leak out though. I'm not sure you could do some of the tricks those games pulled off today without it leaking to the internet super early and spoiling the surprise for everyone. Just like the way movie spoiler leak out nowadays- we'll never get any huge surprises like: "Luke I am your father" in movies these days- I suspect it's a similar situation with such fourth-wall shenanigans in games.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kmdrkul

Mind Fuck?

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By PercyChuggs

Dead Space was the best game of 2008.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By kitsune_conundrum
    @Lies said:
    " That would make me D= The surprise would probably leak out though. I'm not sure you could do some of the tricks those games pulled off today without it leaking to the internet super early and spoiling the surprise for everyone. Just like the way movie spoiler leak out nowadays- we'll never get any huge surprises like: "Luke I am your father" in movies these days- I suspect it's a similar situation with such fourth-wall shenanigans in games. "
    until you realise that your console really just died.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By dsplayer1010

Indeed. That would be the greatest mind fuck ever.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buzz_clik
    @kmdrkul: Flawlessly awful. I approve.

Oh, and Dead Space = GOTY.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By breadfan

I just finished playing through Dead Space last night, amazing game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Sorry to bring the unfortunate subject of anime into this otherwise great topic, but End of Evangelion is like a Mind Fuck and an Acid Trip at the same time. But yes, I would be seriously messed up if a game could temporarily red-ring my Xbox.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rockanomics

Dead Space was good, but I dunno if it was a great mind F, maybe I had too much spoiled or w/e.

I've been yearning for a serious one for a while. I want the doorway I just walked through to disappear when I turn my head, I want NPCs to just off themselves mid sentence, I want my HUD to suddenly be filled with jibberish and when I look at my objectives words just start getting replaced until it just says rape hate body cry rape, which is an idea I pretty much took from this http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/04/freeware_game_pick_triptych_in.html

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Mrnitropb
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Sorry to bring the unfortunate subject of anime into this otherwise great topic, but End of Evangelion is like a Mind Fuck and an Acid Trip at the same time. But yes, I would be seriously messed up if a game could temporarily red-ring my Xbox. "
    The whole series was a mindfuck. Didn't help that when I last watched it, it was on an insomnia bend, and the climax coincided with mild hallucinations by the third day. Mental scarring ensued.

But yeah, the MGS series has done some things like this, kind of 4th wall breaking messed up stuff.

If it was randomized, so that any of a number of things could happen, based on playtime, how well you're doing, time since last save, etc. LIke it would kick you to an artificial dashboard, give a disc read error, play game play footage from another game, tell the controller to turn off, and if you're playing on hard difficulty for five hours straight, and Natal senses you're super focused, fing red ring. Then it would take your picture and save it as your gamerpic.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kiemoe
    @Sweep said:

Marry me. Just fucking marry me. That's the best idea I've ever heard in my life. I bet you that if it happens, Kojima is the one to do it in Metal Gear Rising versus some kind of Psycho Mantis boss.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai
    @Sweep: What about Planescape: Torment and System Shock 2, they were good mind fucks as well. 
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @jakob187 said:
    " So basically you just need to play Eternal Darkness again until it tells you that it's erasing all of the data from Memory Card Slot 1?  And that your controller is unplugged?  lol
    hmm I forgot about those. Regardless it's not quite the same since the RROD is a known problem with the 360 hardware though.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captain_clayman
    @kmdrkul: 

JESUS CHRIST!
    I SHAT A HOUSE!
    what the fuck is up with the pickle guy, he looks like a homo version of a dragonball z character.

anyways, that would be the best trick ever if a game somehow faked an RROD.  except thanks to the speediness of the internet, everyone would know the trick as soon as one guy blogged it.

plus i really need to play dead space, you guys seem to love the hell out of it.
    JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20  Edited By JamesF

That was so cool when eternal darkness did that on your gamecube.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Verdugo

Sometimes I wish I could've gotten a Gamecube, just to buy Eternal Darkness for it. That game is so creative.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22  Edited By Oni

Yeah Dead Space has the most transparent plot twists of any game in recent (10-year) memory. Seriously, that game's plot could not be more clichéd.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NoDeath
    @kmdrkul said:
    " Mind Fuck?

"

Back on topic though, yes I would shit bricks.
    Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ryu

I had a game do that to me once, it wasn't temporary though.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have no idea how you can describe Dead Space as a mindfuck. It's so generic.

VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By VarkhanMB
    @HandsomeDead: Generic? I think the IP is pretty original and the way the game is done has a lot of things that haven't been done, or haven't been done correctly before.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @BL1TZKRI3G said:
    " @HandsomeDead: Generic? I think the IP is pretty original and the way the game is done has a lot of things that haven't been done, or haven't been done correctly before. "
    In what way? You shoot aliens to get from point A to point B. If it wasn't for the armshot = headshot mechanics and the healthbar being on the character, it'd have nothing going for it.
    VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By VarkhanMB
    @HandsomeDead: This is pretty much pointless because we both think differently and are probably not going to back down but just hear me out :P

The story (but mostly the backstory, not what you see, but all that happened before/up until the Marker incident) is very interesting. Sure, the game has a lot of back and forth (it's basically just that) but I think it managed to keep you on your toes, ready for a potential Necromorphs to cut you or whatever. Also, the fact that the interface is all in real time, that you're picking up video, audio or text files along the way, that's pretty awesome too. They play on the fly and just vanish the same way they appeared. It really makes the experience a lot more immersive. And frankly, that's what I loved about the game. The immersion. Maybe that's the difference between you and I. Hell, when you're in space, the devs have actually made it so you don't really hear a sound... I dunno, there are just so many great things that the way you put it made me cringe.

So yeah, it's not generic, because the way you put it, every single game is generic. Get from Point A to B.

Thanks for reading, carry on now :P

EDIT: Anyone up for an Eternal Darkness game on the X360? Of all people, this dev team would certainly do it (the RRoD thing)
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Steve_C

Metal Gear Solid 2 had the craziest shit for me, especially when in Arsenal Gear. It was pretty cool how you really didn't know any more than Raiden, aside from Pliskin obviously being Snake. Both the character and you - the player - go through the game, slowly gathering information and feeling like you're being left in the dark. A plot twist comes, but then another plot twist comes straight after, which nullifies what you had just heard.

Kojima's pretty good with adding weird touches to all the MGS games.

I haven't played Eternal Darkness, but it sounds pretty cool.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By joshy9411

i think the end of castle crahers more then qualifies as a mind fuck...i mean seriously, shes a clown for christs sake!!!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @joshy9411 said:
    " i think the end of castle crahers more then qualifies as a mind fuck...i mean seriously, shes a clown for christs sake!!! "
    I know right, I didn't sleep for weeks.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By luce

biggest videogame mindfuck will have to go to MGS2

that ending ruined me

i almost became one of those crazy conspiracy theorists people and started thinking weird things about the government

i'd only drink rain water for like a week for fear of nanomachines being implanted in bottled water..

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
    @Oni said:
    " Yeah Dead Space has the most transparent plot twists of any game in recent (10-year) memory. Seriously, that game's plot could not be more clichéd. "
    ...and yet it was still a solid story with a good back history written out for it and tons of little clues to pick up over the course of it all?  I mean, just because a story is cliched, does that mean it sucks?  Personally, as long as the story is well told...which it was with Dead Space...then it doesn't matter how many cliches they throw in there.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Demonstride said:
    " First of all awesome thread title. Second of all, if a game did that to my 360 and i didn't know about it before hand and I turned the 360 off and say i hadn't saved for the pas3 hours like say this was persona 5. I'd also probably crap building materials. Building materials of pure rage. "
    Then throw them at the TV.

However if you want some cool deadspace ness read the level names in order but be prepared for major spoilers.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By DrRandle

That would be so awesome.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RsistncE
    @Sweep: I laughed TWICE while reading your post. Consider your mission ACCOMPLISHED.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By End_Boss

There are Dead Space spoilers coming. You have been warned.

For those too lazy to look up the level names for themselves, here they are. Noticed the first letter of every level name, and then enjoy the feeling of your brain exploding inside of your skull.

New Arrivals
    Intensive Care
    Course Correction
    Obliteration Imminent
    Lethal Devotion
    Environmental Hazard

Into the Void
    Search and Rescue

Dead on Arrival
    End of Days
    Alternate Solutions
    Dead Space
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By c1337us

Eternal Darkness wins gold in the Mind Fuck Olympics by a country mile. Dead Space and MGS series as has been mentioned a lot already had a lot of ! moments as well, but I dont know if I would quite go with mind fuck though. At least not to the degree of Eternal Darkness.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NoDeath
    @BL1TZKRI3G said:
    " @HandsomeDead: This is pretty much pointless because we both think differently and are probably not going to back down but just hear me out :PThe story (but mostly the backstory, not what you see, but all that happened before/up until the Marker incident) is very interesting. Sure, the game has a lot of back and forth (it's basically just that) but I think it managed to keep you on your toes, ready for a potential Necromorphs to cut you or whatever. Also, the fact that the interface is all in real time, that you're picking up video, audio or text files along the way, that's pretty awesome too. They play on the fly and just vanish the same way they appeared. It really makes the experience a lot more immersive. And frankly, that's what I loved about the game. The immersion. Maybe that's the difference between you and I. Hell, when you're in space, the devs have actually made it so you don't really hear a sound... I dunno, there are just so many great things that the way you put it made me cringe.So yeah, it's not generic, because the way you put it, every single game is generic. Get from Point A to B.Thanks for reading, carry on now :PEDIT: Anyone up for an Eternal Darkness game on the X360? Of all people, this dev team would certainly do it (the RRoD thing) "
    I'd just like to add to this that I agree that Dead Space doesn't exactly do much that's new or innovative. Sure its a third-person-over-the-shoulder-shooter-set-on-a-spaceship-where-you-kill-aliens, I think it's testimony to how well tuned the game is that it still makes doing that fell fresh, fun and suspenseful.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40  Edited By Oni
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Oni said:
    " Yeah Dead Space has the most transparent plot twists of any game in recent (10-year) memory. Seriously, that game's plot could not be more clichéd. "
    ...and yet it was still a solid story with a good back history written out for it and tons of little clues to pick up over the course of it all?  I mean, just because a story is cliched, does that mean it sucks?  Personally, as long as the story is well told...which it was with Dead Space...then it doesn't matter how many cliches they throw in there.
    "
    I disagree, with all of that. I don't think it is a good story, I think clichés definitely do diminish a story's quality, and I don't think it's particularly well told either. Maybe it's an okay story compared to most games, but I am not going to give it slack for that, I think we should judge video game stories on their own merits, and frankly the vast majority of them suck in writing, pacing and plot points. Which is fine, because games should entertain first and foremost, but a good story can make an already good game that much better, and it's unfortunate that Dead Space didn't get a better story because as a game it is pretty great.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By RHCPfan24

Dead Space did have a very unique, "mind fuck" climax and I actually fell for it, giving me a big surprise at the end.

Your idea scares me, but in an awesome kind of way. I don't know if Microsoft would allow that to happen, but if they did, expect a lot of angry message board rants and the selected few who praise the effort. Honestly, I see it being more controversial but I would love to see how it work work out.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By justinnotjason

Nothing like being in the middle of MGS2 and getting the Game over screen, and you're still playing, or all of a sudden having scenes from Metal Gear show up on your radio.

That game was awesome...sorta.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By flaminghobo

Brix Will Be Shat.
    Brix Will Be Shat.

Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
    deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man rrod fake
    more of a kick to the balls if you ask me

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @End_Boss said:
    "

There are Dead Space spoilers coming. You have been warned.

For those too lazy to look up the level names for themselves, here they are. Noticed the first letter of every level name, and then enjoy the feeling of your brain exploding inside of your skull.New Arrivals Intensive Care Course Correction Obliteration Imminent Lethal Devotion Environmental Hazard Into the Void Search and Rescue Dead on Arrival End of Days Alternate Solutions Dead Space "

.....................................................................................................................................................

You win this time, Dead Space...
    TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#46  Edited By TrashMustache

all i know is that dead space is a masterpiece...that frightened the hell out of me, and that if it didn't exist i would probably not realise that Resident Evil 5 is really not scary at all. I can't wait for Dead Space 2. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By mikemcn

Fight Club, thats the movie that was on the other day...... it was kinda awesome but kinda weird

Anyways i agree, its awesome when games mess with your mind

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mordukai

By far the best Mind Fuck ever was when Orson Welles broadcast his famous  The War of the Worlds radio show.  Though it was unintentional the number of people who believed it is still unmatched. 

ZAPBoston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By ZAPBoston

1) i think dead space was awesome - awesome! - but i never thought of if as a mind fuck. It had plot twists but I would really like a game to break the 4th wall like eternal darkness did. Either an eternal darkness sequel or some other IP.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Claude
    @ZAPBoston said:

" 1) i think dead space was awesome - awesome! - but i never thought of if as a mind fuck. It had plot twists but I would really like a game to break the 4th wall like eternal darkness did. Either an eternal darkness sequel or some other IP. "

Dude, that's not the point.

This is the point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.